2018 GTR latest on US Deliveries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by JSwan724
Since you don't have a car tied up like these are You should refrain from posting in this topic.

I realky don't care what you think about the issue and MB's very poor business practices.
What an idiotic response. Not much more to say about that...
The following users liked this post:
tandan (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Well I am going to be present when the car is delivered to the dealership and watch the PDI first hand. I also want to see the tires, brake rotors, undercarrage, exhaust, paint all glass and wheels--etc.
Storing these cars for an extended period of time--4-5 months now outside in the 95-100+ degree heat with "protective plastic" on the top paint areas and next to the ocean and salt air is a recipe for big issues.
Talked with an MB shop Forman. Areas of concern: Brake rotors, electrical systems, paint and flat spots on tires. He said that they do over inflate tires to avoid the flat spots, but something to look at. He also said that these cars should be looked at very carefully while at the VPC and any issues should be fixed prior to transport.

I'd do the same as you and be present. Just my OCD. This car is worth waiting for, but better communication and transparency should have been provided.

I can't wait for your review of the car
Old 07-27-2017, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Td33
Talked with an MB shop Forman. Areas of concern: Brake rotors, electrical systems, paint and flat spots on tires. He said that they do over inflate tires to avoid the flat spots, but something to look at. He also said that these cars should be looked at very carefully while at the VPC and any issues should be fixed prior to transport.

I'd do the same as you and be present. Just my OCD. This car is worth waiting for, but better communication and transparency should have been provided.

I can't wait for your review of the car
I'll be sure to keep you informed!!

I have some close friends that have been in the body and paint business for other dealers who will go with me. They want to look the finish over for me under floresent light to detect any imperfections.

The other item we haven't brought up is the lithium batteries. One runs the car and one runs the accessories. VERY expensive and prone to fail after sitting for xtended periods. (I had this happen on my SL63. Three batteries later all was well.

Best Regards
Old 07-27-2017, 08:06 PM

Ml63
I'll be sure to keep you informed!!

I have some close friends that have been in the body and paint business for other dealers who will go with me. They want to look the finish over for me under floresent light to detect any imperfections.

The other item we haven't brought up is the lithium batteries. One runs the car and one runs the accessories. VERY expensive and prone to fail after sitting for xtended periods. (I had this happen on my SL63. Three batteries later all was well.

Best Regards
lol I've done the same thing. Brought my detailer with me with my last e63s.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
What an idiotic response. Not much more to say about that...
When your almost 200k car sits for all these months your patience starts to run thin and completely understandable.

I was same way with my 911 turbo s that sat for three weeks waiting for certification and I had much more communication about the exact reason why.
JSwan724 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

When your almost 200k car sits for all these months your patience starts to run thin and completely understandable.

I was same way with my 911 turbo s that sat for three weeks waiting for certification and I had much more communication about the exact reason why.
Completey understand the frustration and can imagine the annoyance factor. It is an extremely desirable car Had dealt with that before once and it's no fun.

But the issue lies with government agencies to a large extend and less so with manufacturers.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
But the issue lies with government agencies to a large extend and less so with manufacturers.
You're assuming this, you don't know it because MB has been completely silent on what is holding these cars up in port. This lack of communication exacerbates the frustration, instils doubt and mistrust, and makes MB the rightful target for criticism in this instance.

Again, this isn't unscrupulous dealers taking deposits from people on an imaginary car. MB released this first batch of cars for sale last year with an indication of a spring delivery. Sure things happen and cars get get held up in port, but there's absolutely no reason for the secrecy. Well, I'm sure they have a reason, but whatever it may be it puts their customers second.

Selfishly, the situation worked in my favor (assuming that the car will be ok after sitting all these months) since I took the spot of a frustrated customer who got tired of waiting and the lack of information and withdrew. But I can fully appreciate people's rightful exasperation with the way MB is handling this.

Last edited by soulsea; 07-28-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 AM

Ml63
Completey understand the frustration and can imagine the annoyance factor. It is an extremely desirable car Had dealt with that before once and it's no fun.

That's a big assumption on your part. Ordered my wife the new RS3 sedan. My car is going into production, but they had one at the port for about one month waiting certification. Salesman texted today and said the car has cleared certification and is scheduled for truck on the 30th of this month.

So my new 17 911 was three weeks. New 18 rs3 one month. These gtr's have been sitting since April and tentative date is end of September. Something beyond just EPA red tape going on.

Both are to blame, but all the secrecy and lack of communication is unacceptable especially when dealing with sold 200k flagship cars.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
While I feel for everyone eagerly anticipating their car I don't quite understand the *****ing against MB.

Afaik, MB has not promised anyone a delivery date. You are dealing with either not meeting the dealer promises and your own personal delivery calculations.

These delays on new models aren't new or related the few mentioned here or related only to MB. This is unfortunately standard fare and you might want to look as far as the DOT and EPA for slow homologation and certification processes.

Many other countries don't have these issues.

Bingo. Everyone here knows everything, yet knows nothing. I have never seen so many theories based on nothing. The GT R wasn't even scheduled to be on sale until Summer. Same thing with the E63. Everyone is all riled up, yet no one has any facts. NO one here knows the certification process or seems to understand that cars sit in ports for weeks on end all the time. Much ado about nothing. Now MB is dishonest and hiding something, it's hilarious.

M
Old 07-28-2017, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Bingo. Everyone here knows everything, yet knows nothing. I have never seen so many theories based on nothing. The GT R wasn't even scheduled to be on sale until Summer. Same thing with the E63. Everyone is all riled up, yet no one has any facts. NO one here knows the certification process or seems to understand that cars sit in ports for weeks on end all the time. Much ado about nothing. Now MB is dishonest and hiding something, it's hilarious.

M

BULL****!!

The GTR, GTC AND E63S was or should have been cleared for EPA certification before they left Gemany. That is standard SOP!! You don"t send hundreds of $200k cars to a foreign country hoping the certification will be granted.

Right bow there is upward of $100mil in dead/sold cars NOT inventory sitting and rotting outside in the salt air and 100+ degree sun for almost 5 months now. There is no end in sight. Make no mistake these are the $200k per unit flagship cars left to rot in the sun.

Think what will happen to the electronics, tires, paint and ask yourself would you want one of these orphans or one that was made in 2-3 days at the factory, traveled 20 days on the ocean and was processed and cleared at the MB VPC in 2-3 days and delivered to the selling dealer in 3-4 days.

Add to that that MB corporate has been silent as to what the real issue is, when it will be resolved and when customers will receive their ordered cars. In other words customers have been left out of the information loop.

Now the MB VPC's are full, the factory in Germany is closed for 30 days for vacation and NO cars are flowing to the VPC's or dealers.

Did I mention that the dealers have been cut out of the information loop too. They are as clueless as us customers are.

THIS ISN'T A GOOD BUSINESS MODEL designed to attract and retain long term customers.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and this is mine as a "customer in waiting."

STOCKHOLDERS SHOULD INSIST THAT HEADS SHOULD ROLL FOR SCREWING UP THIS BAD!

FWIW: I DON'T EVER PLAN ON KISSING ANYONES A... TO SPEND $200k TO BUY A CAR!!
Competition is intense at these price points!!

Last edited by JSwan724; 07-28-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
BULL****!!

The GTR, GTC AND E63S was or should have been cleared for EPA certification before they left Gemany. That is standard SOP!! You don"t send hundreds of $200k cars to a foreign country hoping the certification will be granted.

Right bow there is upward of $100mil in dead/sold cars NOT inventory sitting and rotting outside in the salt air and 100+ degree sun for almost 5 months now. There is no end in sight. Make no mistake these are the $200k per unit flagship cars left to rot in the sun.

Think what will happen to the electronics, tires, paint and ask yourself would you want one of these orphans or one that was made in 2-3 days at the factory, traveled 20 days on the ocean and was processed and cleared at the MB VPC in 2-3 days and delivered to the selling dealer in 3-4 days.

Add to that that MB corporate has been silent as to what the real issue is, when it will be resolved and when customers will receive their ordered cars. In other words customers have been left out of the information loop.

Now the MB VPC's are full, the factory in Germany is closed for 30 days for vacation and NO cars are flowing to the VPC's or dealers.

Did I mention that the dealers have been cut out of the information loop too. They are as clueless as us customers are.

THIS ISN'T A GOOD BUSINESS MODEL designed to attract and retain long term customers.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and this is mine as a "customer in waiting."

STOCKHOLDERS SHOULD INSIST THAT HEADS SHOULD ROLL FOR SCREWING UP THIS BAD!

FWIW: I DON'T EVER PLAN ON KISSING ANYONES A... TO SPEND $200k TO BUY A CAR!!
Competition is intense at these price points!!

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. You're too emotional to absorb the facts. You are totally clueless if you think EPA certification takes place in Germany lol. That is the most ridiculous thing I've read here in some time.

MB has been silent because there is no issue. These are 2018 model year cars, when they were both introduced all the press coverage and MB's own site says "summer 2018", not sure why you think that April is summer.

Fact is Mercedes hasn't promised you a date yet.

Fact is that cars from all import brand spend time at the ports.

Yes, engines are designed/tuned to pass U.S. certification in their countries of origin, but they aren't tested there by the EPA. That happens here. Look it up man. Who said that engine certification is the problem? Show me where that was listed as a reason. You can't. I have never seen so many misinformed people lol. You guys are obviously smart people to be able to afford a car like this, one that costs a small fortune, but you guys are out to lunch when it comes to cars and the process of importing them.

You have no proof of anything. Guess what, no heads are going to roll, no one is screaming about any money being lost. There is nothing usual going on here. You're just lost man. The cars will come to dealers like they always do and if something is wrong it be corrected. Even if the engine certification process is holding these cars up, it's a normal thing now, thanks to VW and their cheating forcing the EPA to look at everyone much harder.

The problem is that you guys want to know too much and you think you're entitled to know every single thing about everything. Who cares where the car is or when it got to the U.S? The last car I ordered from German (BMW) I just ordered it and waited. 2 1/2 months.

Do you honestly think MBUSA would let these cars "rot" in the sun and then turn around deliver them to customers with all kinds of damage to them? You're just not thinking but I get it, you want your car.

How do you know "the factory" is closed? What factory? Mercedes' sales are up worldwide big time this year so I seriously doubt any of their factories are "closed". That's just silly man. If these cars are already sold to dealers, MB already has their money man. NO one is going to get any trouble over a problem that doesn't exist.

Again, you have no facts about any of this, just emotional speculation.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 07-29-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:29 AM

Ml63
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. You're too emotional to absorb the facts. You are totally clueless if you think EPA certification takes place in Germany lol. That is the most ridiculous thing I've read here in some time.

MB has been silent because there is no issue. These are 2018 model year cars, when they were both introduced all the press coverage and MB's own site says "summer 2018", not sure why you think that April is summer.

Fact is Mercedes hasn't promised you a date yet.

Fact is that cars from all import brand spend time at the ports.

Yes, engines are designed/tuned to pass U.S. certification in their countries of origin, but they aren't tested there by the EPA. That happens here. Look it up man. Who said that engine certification is the problem? Show me where that was listed as a reason. You can't. I have never seen so many misinformed people lol. You guys are obviously smart people to be able to afford a car like this, one that costs a small fortune, but you guys are out to lunch when it comes to cars and the process of importing them.

You have no proof of anything. Guess what, no heads are going to roll, no one is screaming about any money being lost. There is nothing usual going on here. You're just lost man. The cars will come to dealers like they always do and if something is wrong it be corrected. Even if the engine certification process is holding these cars up, it's a normal thing now, thanks to VW and their cheating forcing the EPA to look at everyone much harder.

The problem is that you guys want to know too much and you think you're entitled to know every single thing about everything. Who cares where the car is or when it got to the U.S? The last car I ordered from German (BMW) I just ordered it and waited. 2 1/2 months.

Do you honestly think MBUSA would let these cars "rot" in the sun and then turn around deliver them to customers with all kinds of damage to them? You're just not thinking but I get it, you want your car.

How do you know "the factory" is closed? What factory? Mercedes' sales are up worldwide big time this year so I seriously doubt any of their factories are "closed". That's just silly man. If these cars are already sold to dealers, MB already has their money man. NO one is going to get any trouble over a problem that doesn't exist.

Again, you have no facts about any of this, just emotional speculation.

M
He's got the facts. Take off your MB/AMG rose colored glasses and you'll see they're right in front of you.

Other 18 models from other manufacturers have come to US ports, certified and released to dealers.

In other countries they are driving their GTR's.

Maybe MB is holding on to all this sold inventory to see how long it takes to **** off US buyers before they dump the car. Kind of a survey if you will

Maybe they're testing the cars corrosive protection. I never thought of that one

Maybe they're testing the tires to see how long before they develop flat spots that require replacement

Maybe they're testing the plastic protective covers to see how long it takes before it becomes part of the paint

Maybe they're testing to see how long it takes for the rotors to be damaged

I would like to apologize to you because at first I thought you were just a fanboy, but now I see your smarter than all of us.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
He's got the facts. Take off your MB/AMG rose colored glasses and you'll see they're right in front of you.

Other 18 models from other manufacturers have come to US ports, certified and released to dealers.

In other countries they are driving their GTR's.

Maybe MB is holding on to all this sold inventory to see how long it takes to **** off US buyers before they dump the car. Kind of a survey if you will

Maybe they're testing the cars corrosive protection. I never thought of that one

Maybe they're testing the tires to see how long before they develop flat spots that require replacement

Maybe they're testing the plastic protective covers to see how long it takes before it becomes part of the paint

Maybe they're testing to see how long it takes for the rotors to be damaged

I would like to apologize to you because at first I thought you were just a fanboy, but now I see your smarter than all of us.

HE owns BMW's and has "no dog in this hunt" which explains alot!!

It's clear he has no idea how the Mercedes process and customer interaction works
Old 07-30-2017, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
What I would like to know is how and why deliveries are predicted in late 3rd quarter. On what is that based on specifically?

There needs to be some sort of factory compensation. If it gets into September.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:39 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
What I would like to know is how and why deliveries are predicted in late 3rd quarter. On what is that based on specifically?

Great questions and I completely agree on the compensation.

Like I have said, cars that have needed certification, coming into the same ports have been certified and released.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Great questions and I completely agree on the compensation.

Like I have said, cars that have needed certification, coming into the same ports have been certified and released.
I took some time to browse around the EPA site today and unfortunately it appears we are right.

As of today, 7/30/17 you can see certifications for the AMG GT, GT Roadster and GTS. There are NO certifications for the GTR, GTC or the E63S. Further I couldn't find any information regarding pending certifications or that they were currently in process.

Now, I may be missing something so I invite any interested party to see what they can turn up.

Last edited by JSwan724; 07-30-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:27 PM

Ml63
I took some time to browse around the EPA site today and unfortunately it appears we are right.

As of today, 7/30/17 you can see certifications for the AMG GT, GT Roadster and GTS. There are NO certifications for the GTR, GTC or the E63S. Further I couldn't fibd any information regardibg pending certificationsor currently in process.

Now, I may be missing something so I invite any interested party to see what they can turn up.
These three models are their upper HP cars. There has to be some kind of update that has to be done to these cars to pass EPA. They want be tested again until this has been done.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
These three models are their upper HP cars. There has to be some kind of update that has to be done to these cars to pass EPA. They want be tested again until this has been done.

That's exactly what I posted earlier BUT you would think there would be some evidence on the site of the cars being tested after 5 months.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 PM

Ml63
That's exactly what I posted earlier BUT you would think there would be some evidence on the site of the cars being tested after 5 months.
Like we stated before. Why don't they just tell buyers what is going with the cars.

All this secrecy leads to nothing but negative speculation.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63

I think it's a "kick the can down the road" and hope for the best type answer.

I really don't think we'll see them released until late September at the earliest.

Regards

Last edited by JSwan724; 07-31-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Ml63
I think it's a "kick the can down the road" and hope for the best type answer.

I really don't think we'll see them released until late September at the earliest.

Regards
Correct, they don't have a clue when these cars will be released, whether that's next week or next year.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Yes. The GTC And GTR and E63S are the new twin scroll turbos and higher horsepower. Hence the delay.

The irony is that they are probably more efficient.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 07-30-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GL63
So true on irony of efficiency
Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

There will be no compensation nor will they feel obliged to.
MBUSA's official availability date for the GTR is no more specific than "Fall 2017" (as of August 1)

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-01-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Germancar1 (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GL63
I have read this on other postings as well and it makes me nuts. Each of us on this forum who can afford a vehicle of this value should be bright enough to know this compensation idea is complete insanity.

There will be no compensation nor will they feel obliged to.
MBUSA's official availability date for the GTR is no more specific than "Fall 2017" (as of August 1)
Germancar1 (08-01-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2018 GTR latest on US Deliveries