Sponsored by:

XPEL STEALTH for MAGNO paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
GLE 350d
XPEL STEALTH for MAGNO paint

Do any Magno owners have experience with XPEL Stealth? If so, what's your verdict on quality, performance and does it affect / change the look of the original paint job at all?

As much as I love the appearance of MAGNO paint jobs, I swore I would never buy a vehicle with one so as not to have to deal with the maintenance of the paint, and would simply wrap if I wanted a matte look - that said, I jumped at the chance to buy a GT C Edition 50, and am now looking to protect the paint as best as I can, and the few recommendations I have received have all been XPEL Stealth.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
This is my second magno car and I agree that minor scratches, chips or dents are an issue.
I am very happy to report that I did a 3M bra on the GT front bumper and you cannot notice it. So far so good and the it looks brand new after 8K miles.
I do have a chip on the hood and some here have done the front bumper, front side and the hood for full protection.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
GLE 350d
Originally Posted by emericr
This is my second magno car and I agree that minor scratches, chips or dents are an issue.
I am very happy to report that I did a 3M bra on the GT front bumper and you cannot notice it. So far so good and the it looks brand new after 8K miles.
I do have a chip on the hood and some here have done the front bumper, front side and the hood for full protection.
Thanks for the info - do you know which of the 3M products you have? Does it give off any of the simple orange peel texture of older products?
Old 08-25-2017, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Ive had a couple yrs experience with magno paint. Ive had to repaint 5 panels on my car. I have xpel on the hood , front bumper, a pillars, roof pillar. It is perfect and you never know its there.
I would tell you its a must on matte paint
The following users liked this post:
AtTheGlen (10-06-2019)
Old 08-26-2017, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
I believe there is only one matte 3M product. No orange peel whatsoever. It's perfect. I did try Xpel on one quarter of the car and it was great as well but the local installer of choice only uses 3M so that's why I have it.
You can;t go wrong with either and it is a must have.
Originally Posted by Jtamindzic
Thanks for the info - do you know which of the 3M products you have? Does it give off any of the simple orange peel texture of older products?
Old 08-26-2017, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

theres only one xpel matte film also. its described as satin. But it is equal to my matte paint and i did notice, across the hood, it does make the paint texture/orange peel/ disappear and makes the surface absolutely perfect. It is a solution to people who want to buff the paint to eliminate the OP
Old 08-26-2017, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
Originally Posted by okbarnett
theres only one xpel matte film also. its described as satin. But it is equal to my matte paint and i did notice, across the hood, it does make the paint texture/orange peel/ disappear and makes the surface absolutely perfect. It is a solution to people who want to buff the paint to eliminate the OP
100% https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...clear-bra.html
Old 08-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SL 550 Mille Miglia 2016, Nissan GTR Aniversary #44/50, Mustang GT500 2014(800hp)
I have a 550 SL Mille Miglia with the black matte paint. I had the entire hood, fenders, full doors, mirrors, rockers and partial back bumper done in Expel for matte finishes. You would be hard pressed to know that it is even on the car. It also has a ten year warranty. I had it done at Mohawk collision in Albany (Scotia) NY. Talk to Gerry there. Great product.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Not a benz but I have stealth on it... no discernable differences even up close:

Stickboy (06-15-2020)
Old 08-28-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by Vic55
Not a benz but I have stealth on it... no discernable differences even up close:

Wow how many cars do you have?
gts
r8
c 63s
rs7?

what else?
Old 08-28-2017, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
VIC55: that is simply gorgeous. Was the OEM color regular non matte paint? I assumed it is tuned. Care to give any feedback on this monster?
Old 08-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
VIC55: that is simply gorgeous. Was the OEM color regular non matte paint? I assumed it is tuned. Care to give any feedback on this monster?
Its OEM paint called Daytona Gray Matte Effect. The car itself is my 2nd RS7 and yes its tuned. Its the Performance Edition so it has 605 hp and 553 tq stock but the tune blows those numbers up in a huge way. Unfortunately I only have basic 91 octane here so I dont see the types of gains that even 93 let alone race gas will show (the best tune only car ran like 10.4 at 133 mph on 104). The car has advanced over my 14 with better suspension (less fluff and roll) and much less understeer in dynamic mode. Its an unbelievable stop light and rolling racer with the tune plus it emits some great exhaust notes too. Im very happy with this purchase plus its rather luxurious inside. Its not as fast from 0-60 as my departed Turbo S but it can give the GTS a run for its money because with AWD it just launches with no mistake. The GTS (tuned) is still faster up top but not by much Ill bet and the RS7 feels more planted at higher speed with his longer track and weight. It is a bit of a porker at 4500 lbs but I have no expectation of this car handling the corners like a GTS or a C63 BS.

And there is no aftermarket matte wrap that can meet or come close to the quality of the OEM car. Up close my paint has a pearl effect as well, which cant be duplicated with Stealth.

Here is another pic with the Stealth applied:

Last edited by Vic55; 08-28-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you can turn any paint to matte by applying the matte clear film. It will look exactly like the factory matte paints.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
So far negative on Green Hell Magno

So I was about to start a thread and then I saw this thread, so far, I've been looking for a wrap and none of the wraps we tried on the car didn't alter the color of the car! including XPEL, I paid an additional $9k for the color, I can't bring myself to change its looks.

Any other ideas?

Here are some photos that show a 3M matte (no note), a 3M clear (on the side fender) and XPEL Stealth (one with yellow note) on the car.

So far my car remains unwrapped until I solve this unfortunate mystery, I guess darker colors such as black and grey have better success rates.
Attached Thumbnails XPEL STEALTH for MAGNO paint-xpel.jpg   XPEL STEALTH for MAGNO paint-matte.jpeg   XPEL STEALTH for MAGNO paint-clear.jpg  
NL007 (02-22-2018)
Old 08-28-2017, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think maybe youre not giving a big view, maybe not putting a piece on a long panel against a non covered panel. Put a long piece on the hood and compare to the fender beside it. The car may not even be outside, indoor light is alot different than sun.
The film will take almost all of the gloss off the paint, if you shine light bulbs or flash lights on it you will still get some glare
The local porsche dealer is covering alot of cars with matte and every one Ive seen is as matte as any paint
Old 08-28-2017, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by muhri
So I was about to start a thread and then I saw this thread, so far, I've been looking for a wrap and none of the wraps we tried on the car didn't alter the color of the car! including XPEL, I paid an additional $9k for the color, I can't bring myself to change its looks.

Any other ideas?

Here are some photos that show a 3M matte (no note), a 3M clear (on the side fender) and XPEL Stealth (one with yellow note) on the car.

So far my car remains unwrapped until I solve this unfortunate mystery, I guess darker colors such as black and grey have better success rates.
If you paid 9k for a gloss color I would not stealth or matte wrap it... leave it with its glory and use a clear wrap to just protect it. But stealth will for sure flatten out the gloss.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by okbarnett
I think maybe youre not giving a big view, maybe not putting a piece on a long panel against a non covered panel. Put a long piece on the hood and compare to the fender beside it. The car may not even be outside, indoor light is alot different than sun.
The film will take almost all of the gloss off the paint, if you shine light bulbs or flash lights on it you will still get some glare
The local porsche dealer is covering alot of cars with matte and every one Ive seen is as matte as any paint
The idea is the color does not stay the same once wrapped, regardless the type of wrap used. At least for green hell magno.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55
If you paid 9k for a gloss color I would not stealth or matte wrap it... leave it with its glory and use a clear wrap to just protect it. But stealth will for sure flatten out the gloss.
It is Satin, green hell magno. The GTR special color.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
I did the same as you did and while I had reservations like you, the installer told me to trust him. All I can say is that I wrapped my front bumper and you cannot see the difference in 99% of the times. The only period during the day where you could argue there is a difference (and that would be real picky) is at sunset or dawn where the plastic reflects a bit less light.
If you are going to wrap the entire vehicle then I would not worry about it and pick the one satin/matte (I would not go with clear as it is a bit glossy) that your installer feels more comfortable with.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:15 AM

I did the same as you did and while I had reservations like you, the installer told me to trust him. All I can say is that I wrapped my front bumper and you cannot see the difference in 99% of the times. The only period during the day where you could argue there is a difference (and that would be real picky) is at sunset or dawn where the plastic reflects a bit less light.
If you are going to wrap the entire vehicle then I would not worry about it and pick the one satin/matte (I would not go with clear as it is a bit glossy) that your installer feels more comfortable with.
But even my installer is not happy with all the film's we tried!! He is in agreement there is way too much color change
Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by muhri
But even my installer is not happy with all the film's we tried!! He is in agreement there is way too much color change
I would try SunTek film. I have clear on my car, but the film laid flatter than expel and 3m. They make a Matte product. Try it out.
muhri (08-29-2017)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS63-S
So I’m in agreement with most on here. When I see both, I can see the different. Perhaps if half the car front was done to the seems, there is less of a difference. Prob is the only way to know is to spend a couple of gs and hope it works out. Or leave it and enjoy. I’m stumped as well.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS63-S
Here’s a silly question. Put on some form of pfp. Does that mean all stone chips will bounce off and never create a mark or bubble on the film - and with a gtee, the company will what, replace the entire pfp?

Is this a case of 75% of the chips won’t show?

trying to understand what we are trying to accomplish. With reg gloss paint, I would touch it up to avoid rust. But that’s it. I wasn’t trying to always buff out every chip or scratch. It felt like normal course wear and tear that couldn’t be avoided.

Trying to justify the extra $1-2-3k in doing anything. Please tell me what I’m missing.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by NL007
Here’s a silly question. Put on some form of pfp. Does that mean all stone chips will bounce off and never create a mark or bubble on the film - and with a gtee, the company will what, replace the entire pfp?

Is this a case of 75% of the chips won’t show?

trying to understand what we are trying to accomplish. With reg gloss paint, I would touch it up to avoid rust. But that’s it. I wasn’t trying to always buff out every chip or scratch. It felt like normal course wear and tear that couldn’t be avoided.

Trying to justify the extra $1-2-3k in doing anything. Please tell me what I’m missing.
your missing chips on your paint with this film.

The long hood makes it a rock magnet. 99% of debris will not get through to paint and the film is self healing. Cleaning Car is simple as the film is easier to wash off than paint.

you will probably get your $ back when selling as a buyer is getting like new paint.
NL007 (03-12-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
18 AMG GTR
Here is mine under different types of lighting.... Xpel Stealth.. photos taken with Iphone X

Xpel Stealth...

Indoors under low light...

Outdoors....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: XPEL STEALTH for MAGNO paint