Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for a GTS. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shopping for a GTS. What to look for?

Hello all,

Haven't been here in a while as I sold my CL500 years ago (and vowed never to buy a mb product again). However the AMG GTS is an exception and I'm thinking about getting one now that prices have dipped under $100k.

Just some questions from shoppers and owners:
1. PPI - does MB offer this if you buy a car from a non-MB dealer? I'm sure I'd have to pay.

2. Warranty - looking at 2016's so they are still covered I think 4yr/50k. Can I get a car "certified" by MB or get an extended warranty from MB to cover me to 100K miles?

2.5. This will be my keeper and my daily driver. Anyone use theirs as a DD?

3. Options - any particular I should be looking for? I think the GTS is loaded already.

4. Recalls - any outstanding recalls which I should make sure are done?

5. Might be silly but for the same money, GTS or an i8?

Thanks all. Hopefully I'll join the club if I can swing a deal.

Rippey
Old 09-09-2017, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
There are certainly a hundred or so used AMG gTS out there. There are a few CPO available through MB. Those are the ones with MB warranty. They will extend the warranty for a price. It is 15% higher than if it were purchased when the car was new.

Many use it as a daily BUT I would have a foul weather car as back up. No way you would use it in snow or winter.

The options are set in a used car. You get what you get.

I8? Please.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
They are stacked up like cords of wood out here in CA rush hour traffic. Lots of DD's here.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by NewportSLS
They are stacked up like cords of wood out here in CA rush hour traffic. Lots of DD's here.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by thecutter64
There are certainly a hundred or so used AMG gTS out there. There are a few CPO available through MB. Those are the ones with MB warranty.
Does this mean that the non cpo cars do not have the existing manufacturers warranty? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Rippey
Old 09-09-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by mrrippey
Does this mean that the non cpo cars do not have the existing manufacturers warranty? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Rippey

I would assume that all cars have the remainder of their original new car warranty. I have never heard otherwise from any major brand.

Im no expert as I have never bought a CPO, but I do know that sometimes cpos are offered with a longer warranty than even a brand new car. At least my dealership has tried to show me cpo cars that have a few thousand miles but come with a super long warranty. In reality that is probably the dealer paying to CPO it and paying for the longer warranty and marketing it that way, I'm guessing.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:29 AM

I would definitely need extended warranty on this car. I'm planning on using it as a daily driver and in three years I put 50k on my gran coupe which I'm trading in for the amg. I am sure I can purchase at MB or a reputable warranty place.

Rippey
Old 09-10-2017, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Compared to my past SL and CL, this car will be fine as no ABC hydraulic crap and an engine that's bullet proof and it's essentially an SLS that's already been through years of improvements.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gts
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Compared to my past SL and CL, this car will be fine as no ABC hydraulic crap and an engine that's bullet proof and it's essentially an SLS that's already been through years of improvements.
all have 4 yr 50k from in service date wether CPO or not. Ask dealer for VMI it has in service date.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
AMG GTS, Bentley GT,SL600, Range Rover V8 5.0 Supercharged, Aston Martin Rapide S, S600
It can be used as a DD but you will take a pounding. The car in tuned form is much faster and funner to drive than any car out there but it lacks the refinement and precision you feel in a 911 (I would not buy a 911 but just sayin). It has awkward seating position, ingress/egress, strange placement of dials and buttons inside, horrible blind spots, jerky transmission that is years behind a PDK, and a hood so long it makes driving in tight corners difficult. It's a hot rod. You will get plenty of looks with this. Best bet is to get a great deal on a new lease. Used ones are a rish because these cars are driven hard by their owners so who knows what will turn up down the line after the warranty has expired.

No comparison with the i8. The i8 is a slow and gimmicky car. The GT/S/R is a race car.

Originally Posted by mrrippey
Hello all,

Haven't been here in a while as I sold my CL500 years ago (and vowed never to buy a mb product again). However the AMG GTS is an exception and I'm thinking about getting one now that prices have dipped under $100k.

Just some questions from shoppers and owners:
1. PPI - does MB offer this if you buy a car from a non-MB dealer? I'm sure I'd have to pay.

2. Warranty - looking at 2016's so they are still covered I think 4yr/50k. Can I get a car "certified" by MB or get an extended warranty from MB to cover me to 100K miles?

2.5. This will be my keeper and my daily driver. Anyone use theirs as a DD?

3. Options - any particular I should be looking for? I think the GTS is loaded already.

4. Recalls - any outstanding recalls which I should make sure are done?

5. Might be silly but for the same money, GTS or an i8?

Thanks all. Hopefully I'll join the club if I can swing a deal.

Rippey

Last edited by sl600fanatic; 10-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
It sounds like some improvements were made to transmission and suspension to make the 2018 model more driver friendly. My transmission and suspension are compliant.

The PDK on my GT3 is superior.

Agree on awkward ingress/egress (door swings really wide, high door-sill), thick A-pillars and mirrors create blind spots, long hood requiring me to stick my head out the driver-side window to navigate narrow spaces.