Sponsored by:

Finally, GTR arrives tonight!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Originally Posted by fastmd
It's relatively normal for the high end installers. I have left over $1 Million cars with mine and never had a problem.
Guess it's a matter of finding a shop one trusts.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
What I have learned over the years is that the 2 most important things to have your car look perfect with a clear bra are 1. paint condition, having a proper paint correction and 2. the installer, all edges wrapped, no seams, no cutting on the car etc. Make sure you get refs from people in your area.

I have everything wrapped, vents, lights removed etc.

If in SoCal call Chris! Let him know you know NewportSLS for the good guy discount! He has been installing for 12 years !! > http://www.eklektikautofilms.com/
Old 10-08-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Coupe; 2015 RRS; 2017 Porsche 718S
Originally Posted by JSwan724
If you wouldn’t mind, how about giving all of us uneducated owners a few teachable moments on;

- - Brands of wraps available
- - Best processes (best practices) in wrapping a car.
- - How long the insall takes
- - Downside to wrapping
- - Cost
- - How long it lasts

Many Thanks
In my view paint protection is really important, especially for Magno paint as you cannot buff out scratches, swirl marks or any type of etching on the paint. I would recommend paint correction followed by a clear bra covering most, if not all, of the car, including headlights, rocker panels, mirrors, etc. (no windows). The two leading companies are 3M and Expel and you cannot go wrong with either. Clear bras have improved dramatically over the years and some now have "self-healing" technology. More important than which brand to use is the installer - find the best installer in your area and go with what he prefers to use. Generally speaking, it takes probably 2-3 days to complete paint correction and install bra on the entire car, but it really depends on your installer. As to cost, in Canada it will probably cost CAD$3-4k to do an entire car, but again, it depends on the installer - you get what you pay for.

I would also recommend ceramic coating over the clear bra. It provides additional protection from swirl marks and any acidic contaminates. Both clear bra and ceramic coating are permanent and will remain on your car until removed.

For Magno paint, do not use regular shampoo, wax, sealants, etc. You will need to get new products designed for matte paint.

I hope this helps
Old 10-08-2017, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
[QUOTE=AMGGTC;7281242]In my view paint protection is really important, especially for Magno paint as you cannot buff out scratches, swirl marks or any type of etching on the paint. I would recommend paint correction followed by a clear bra covering most, if not all, of the car, including headlights, rocker panels, mirrors, etc. (no windows). The two leading companies are 3M and Expel and you cannot go wrong with either. Clear bras have improved dramatically over the years and some now have "self-healing" technology. More important than which brand to use is the installer - find the best installer in your area and go with what he prefers to use. Generally speaking, it takes probably 2-3 days to complete paint correction and install bra on the entire car, but it really depends on your installer. As to cost, in Canada it will probably cost CAD$3-4k to do an entire car, but again, it depends on the installer - you get what you pay for.

I would also recommend ceramic coating over the clear bra. It provides additional protection from swirl marks and any acidic contaminates. Both clear bra and ceramic coating are permanent and will remain on your car until removed.

For Magno paint, do not use regular shampoo, wax, sealants, etc. You will need to get new products designed for matte paint.

I hope this helps[/QUOTE

3m and xpel Have a lot of orange peel and don’t lay flat. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again suntek lays the flattest and is incredibly resilient.

Find the guy that does it for the dealers such as Porsche and Mercedes and McLaren that’s what I did and mine came out incredible. You don’t need to do the whole car just do the whole front clip, and behind front wheels and your good.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GTR Pro, 2019 GT63S, 2016 XC90 Polestar Tune, 1967 911s
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

3m and xpel Have a lot of orange peel and don’t lay flat. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again suntek lays the flattest and is incredibly resilient.

Find the guy that does it for the dealers such as Porsche and Mercedes and McLaren that’s what I did and mine came out incredible. You don’t need to do the whole car just do the whole front clip, and behind front wheels and your good.
+1 for Suntek, I've used their gloss self healing PPF on a few of my cars and its outstanding. I do the front clip as well.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by just1zero
+1 for Suntek, I've used their gloss self healing PPF on a few of my cars and its outstanding. I do the front clip as well.
Yep! https://mbworld.org/forums/sls-amg-g...clear-bra.html
Old 10-09-2017, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by NewportSLS
does their matte match the magno finish? I'm going to do my gtr this week and would rather just do the front clip and not the whole car.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
S63 Coupe
Good morning!!
Does anybody know any reputable and experienced shop in soflo, Miami area where I can wrap my matte GTR with either suntek?
This will be my first car being wrapped.
Thanks in advance
Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Originally Posted by KenshinX
Good morning!!
Does anybody know any reputable and experienced shop in soflo, Miami area where I can wrap my matte GTR with either suntek?
This will be my first car being wrapped.
Thanks in advance
First, congrats on the green beast. It looks amazing. I can't wait to see them on the streets.

I am in Naples and if interested have a guy that is amazing. No cuts as he has a printer. He did my GT and was impressed. He handles all the exotics for Naples Motorsports among other things.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
does their matte match the magno finish? I'm going to do my gtr this week and would rather just do the front clip and not the whole car.
The Matte Suntek is "clear" it doesn't change the color of the paint.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
PS as soon as a bird craps on the part of your car you didn't wrap you will kick yourself for not wrapping the whole car. Don't be cheap. Wrap the whole car....
The following users liked this post:
just1zero (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 PM

PS as soon as a bird craps on the part of your car you didn't wrap you will kick yourself for not wrapping the whole car. Don't be cheap. Wrap the whole car....
Good point
Old 10-10-2017, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Did not do windshield and after latest trip wish I had. How is vision thru shield?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Congratulations, enjoy it! From a PPF perspective both xpel matte and 3M matte changed the color of my car when I tried them on.
I am yet to check the suntek film.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
I know installer is the most important thing but as a ballpark , what is the cost of a full wrap ? I don’t mind paying ; I just don’t want to get ripped off
Old 10-11-2017, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by thecutter64
I know installer is the most important thing but as a ballpark , what is the cost of a full wrap ? I don’t mind paying ; I just don’t want to get ripped off
Like everything else in life, you normally get what you pay for. That being said a top quality installer using a high quality film such as Suntek; Xpel Ultimate/Stealth, etc. will run you between $6,000-$8,000. This is for the whole car covered with edges all wrapped and probably items like lights, etc removed in order for the film to look as if the car was ‘painted’.

You do want to do the research necessary to find the very best installer in your area, as that is 90% towards being satisfied with the result.

Btw: I’m talking about a full ‘clear bra’ type install, whether it being clear or matte in nature. A ‘wrap’ which simply changes the color of the car is done using a product that is different than Suntek or Xpel Ultimate, as it’s much thinner; doesn’t offer the protection of the above two films, and is probably easier to install.

Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 10-11-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTR, G63, Mclaren 675 LT S, 991 GT3 RS, 991 GT3, many more
I didn’t get the bill yet, but it’s dependent on the installer. All the films are in the same range. Then you have the topcoat you choose. I posted new pics in the garage at my home. My film guy and detailer are 2 different people but work out of the same office. Having all the emblems changed to matte black also, along with door handles so don’t have the final price.

Whole car is probably at least $6K.

I get get rid of cars so fast it’s a waste of money essentially, but I hate rock chips and I drive back country roads all the time and live in the NYC metro area.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Talking

That seems a bit high. I paid 1500 for entire front clip and front wheels. Doors and rear fenders and roof should be another 1000. The car is mostly hood.

if anyone needs referral in Atlanta hit me up. Installer has incredible detail.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:31 PM

That seems a bit high. I paid 1500 for entire front clip and front wheels. Doors and rear fenders and roof should be another 1000. The car is mostly hood.

if anyone needs referral in Atlanta hit me up. Installer has incredible detail.
$1500 for hood/fenders, not bumper is right. I am talking the entire car, rockers/doors, rear fenders/bumper, spoiler, deck lid, a pillars, headlights etc.

The GTR is wider than the GT.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
$1500 for hood/fenders, not bumper is right. I am talking the entire car, rockers/doors, rear fenders/bumper, spoiler, deck lid, a pillars, headlights etc.

The GTR is wider than the GT.
Beautiful garage. Congrats on MB GTR
Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Did not do windshield and after latest trip wish I had. How is vision thru shield?
Didnt have the windshield done. That pic shows how much they have to use to do the pillars and windshield frame the right way. The film on the glass gets tossed.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:04 PM
SPONSOR

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
Have you been able to put some miles on the GTR yet? Would be interested in hearing your comparison of it vs the McLaren.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by thewb
Have you been able to put some miles on the GTR yet? Would be interested in hearing your comparison of it vs the McLaren.
I have been fortunate to drive a lot of the most talked about cars. Outside of some ultra hypercars (mainly they give you a tingly feeling), my 675 LT spider is the best car I have ever driven. It truly is amazing. The biggest drawback is the turning radius (like a truck).

That being said, I think it is an unfair comparison. My 675 LT spider cost more than 2X my GTR.

However, I think the this AMG GTR is superb. I believe it is at least as good as my 991 GT3 RS, much better than my 991 GT3. It is like a luxury/hooligan european muscle car. A lot of fun to drive around.

I will see how it does on the track in the spring.
The following users liked this post:
cyberorth (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:38 AM
SPONSOR

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
I have been fortunate to drive a lot of the most talked about cars. Outside of some ultra hypercars (mainly they give you a tingly feeling), my 675 LT spider is the best car I have ever driven. It truly is amazing. The biggest drawback is the turning radius (like a truck).

That being said, I think it is an unfair comparison. My 675 LT spider cost more than 2X my GTR.

However, I think the this AMG GTR is superb. I believe it is at least as good as my 991 GT3 RS, much better than my 991 GT3. It is like a luxury/hooligan european muscle car. A lot of fun to drive around.

I will see how it does on the track in the spring.
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that you believe it is much better than the GT3. The GT3 is a great car and our GTR is arriving soon so this makes me even more excited.

Do you have your eyes set on a 720 as well? We own a Launch Edition and it has change my perception on what a special car is. Definitely has raised the bar.