Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade GTC to GTR?

Old 11-17-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GTC
Upgrade GTC to GTR?

I just ordered a GTC (8-9 months wait)
But am already wondering if I should go with the GTR.
It will spend much much more time on the road (track days will be rare)

The price difference in the specs I want is only 5% more (wait will even longer)
Just wondering if down the line the GTR wont be « the one to get »
Although most of the reviews I read say the GTC is the better option.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by Lcathal; 11-17-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
If the car is going to see more road than track, then I would say the GTC is the one to get as you can get panoroof which is a must IMHO. I am on the fence on the back spoiler, sometimes I like it and there's something to be said about owning the top dog but I often prefer the more subtle look without it.
Tough problem to have, right?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by emericr
If the car is going to see more road than track, then I would say the GTC is the one to get as you can get panoroof which is a must IMHO. I am on the fence on the back spoiler, sometimes I like it and there's something to be said about owning the top dog but I often prefer the more subtle look without it.
Well said.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
The reviews are useless. They rant about the newest product as the greatest. The GTS was greatest thing since sliced bread until the GTR came out. Then it was just ok. Now with the GTC out too, the reviews make it sound like a shi(r)tbox.

The GTR has that huge fixed wing. If you don’t mind it, it is essentially a GTC+. More HP, more torque. Stiffer ride.

The GTC is the middle child. If you are never tracking it, get the C
Old 11-17-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 AMG GT S
I am contemplating upgrading to either a 2019 GT R or GT C roadster. I will never consider the GT C coupe since it is not different enough from the GT S for me, but additionally, no fixed wing option, which to me is a must for the coupe version aesthetically the way the profile of the rear end looks without it.

The fixed wing of either the GTS and GTR are not huge, but just the right size. nothing compared to the real big ugly-a$$ ones on the likes of the GT3RS and GT2RS aesthetically.

I do think they should offer more interior color choices for the GT R, you should be able to get red or saddle leather etc., like with the GT C.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:59 AM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by emericr
very tough problem to have 😉
Old 11-18-2017, 05:03 AM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I am contemplating upgrading to either a 2019 GT R or GT C roadster. I will never consider the GT C coupe since it is not different enough from the GT S for me, but additionally, no fixed wing option, which to me is a must for the coupe version aesthetically the way the profile of the rear end looks without it.

The fixed wing of either the GTS and GTR are not huge, but just the right size. nothing compared to the real big ugly-a$$ ones on the likes of the GT3RS and GT2RS aesthetically.

I do think they should offer more interior color choices for the GT R, you should be able to get red or saddle leather etc., like with the GT C.
GTC has much more power than the GTS and more importantly the 4 wheel steering and wider rear track.
I think its more of a GTR- than a GTS+

you can get the fixed wing on the GTC (at least in france)
Old 11-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Lcathal
GTC has much more power than the GTS and more importantly the 4 wheel steering and wider rear track.
I think its more of a GTR- than a GTS+

you can get the fixed wing on the GTC (at least in france)
When I say not enough difference, I was mainly referring to the convertible top, which is why I will consider the GTC roadster which I think is even more stylish than the coupe with the top down, but not with the top up. The experience of open air driving in nice weather of course would be a plus.

In North America, the GTC coupe does not have the fixed wing option, I guess they want to differentiate the appearance more with the 2 versions.

There is not much difference between the price of the GTR coupe and the GTC convertible, that is why I am choosing between the 2, but not the GTC coupe.
I have actually driven the GT R on a race track, and yes you can feel the power difference there, and I expect the GTC to be less so. The 4 wheel steering at low speed actually feels a little weird and needs a little getting used to, but a benefit on the race track, so I might as well go with the GTR if I want another coupe.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-18-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 PM

AMG GTC
Well guys just got back from MB dealer.
Good news: Upgraded to GTR
Bad news: 8 month GTC wait is now 14-16 month wait for a GTR

According to regional sales director production GTC to GTR will be around 10:1
AMG expert reckons GTC will depreciate at the same rate as a GTS (which surprised the hell out of me) & he thinks that thanks to the 1+ year delay the GTR may only ever appreciate (not guaranteed we will see in 3-5 years)
My specs had only a 10K€ difference so a GTR it is ��

Gonna miss the glass roof though
(switched the buckets for performance seat)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Is the GTR an upgrade for a GTC or simply a different tool?

Is my foerarm an upgrade of my wrist?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
I hated the 4 wheels steering on the GTR when I drove it. For novices it's great, for advanced drivers it's actually a hindrance and confusing bc it's a very unnatural movement. I had my GTR order and I am glad I gave up the car. Will probably just get. GTS track rat and get an Aston Martin with the money I saved. A properly modded GTS will dominate a GTR on the track for literally half the price.

PURE turbos + Eurocharged tune, cooling upgrade, stupid sticky rubber voila.

And honestly the GTR does not really sound that pleasant, I think the GTS sounds better actually. It's also a more elegant timeless design.

My 2 cents
Old 12-09-2017, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63,
Thanks for the honest input. You may get lynched by the GTR fanboys. I’m sure the cars are similar and the GTR has more power and slight agility compared to the GTS. For those not tracking either car, the GTR may be too much overkill for street driving. You will never come close to testing it’s limits on the highway .
Old 12-09-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
I don't give a damn if they hate, I had the first GTR spot in the entire country since the beginning of 2015 (before most even knew it existed), so I waited longer than anyone else. But honestly as good as people are raving on it, for $210k it's just not a great bargain. An $85k-95k GTS with $10k in mods will destroy a GTR and have roughly 670 hp conservatively, it's simple mathematics. 4K turbo +tune, 4K cooling mods, 2k wheels/tires (Selling stocks to offset price).

if you are not tracking the GTR is a waste, the GTC is a Much better option and you get way more color options both exterior & interior. But a used GTS with mods is still the best track rat by far if you genuinely want to track it bc you won't feel bad ragging on it like a GTR

and the GTR values will drop once people realize a GTRS is fast on the way. GTR not limited, GTRS will be very exclusive and limited to somewhere between 250-500 units tops (still haven't heard the exact number yet from my sources)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
GTR does the The Ring in 7 minutes, 10.9 seconds. What does a tuned GTS do it in?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The GTS gets me to work in 12 minutes. What does the GTR do?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Originally Posted by thecutter64
The GTS gets me to work in 12 minutes. What does the GTR do?
I work from home.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
Is the GTR an upgrade for a GTC or simply a different tool?

Is my foerarm an upgrade of my wrist?
leave your love life out of this please.