Sponsored by:

New GTR owner long time AMG history

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
AMG GTR
New GTR owner long time AMG history

Hi community :-) I just locked in an allocation for a GTR hell green supposed to take delivery in April. It was either going to be a face lifted s63 coupe or this. Having owned 2 s63 coupes.. I thought this could at least give me a good driving experience. I hope that these will not depreciate, and I also hope I chose wisely. I feel like a lot of people will hate on the green. Would be curious to hear your opinions on either car you would have chosen, being in my place. Also, out of curiosity has anyone found a way to make this beast even louder?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I was on a couple of lists for an allocation and would have specified Selenite Grey. But it seemed like it would be next spring before I could actually take ownership of a car, and I didn’t want to wait that long as I wanted to trade my ‘15 Z06 before it lost even more value. I found a car with the right options, and was made a fantastic deal but of course it was GHM. So I flew in to see it, and bought it on the spot as it looks so much better in the flesh than it does even in pictures.

The colour does attract attention, but in a good way so far. I’m not much of an extrovert so darkly tinted the windows, but thus far I’m in awe of this car.

Bish
Old 11-30-2017, 07:40 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by thebishman
I was on a couple of lists for an allocation and would have specified Selenite Grey. But it seemed like it would be next spring before I could actually take ownership of a car, and I didn’t want to wait that long as I wanted to trade my ‘15 Z06 before it lost even more value. I found a car with the right options, and was made a fantastic deal but of course it was GHM. So I flew in to see it, and bought it on the spot as it looks so much better in the flesh than it does even in pictures.

The colour does attract attention, but in a good way so far. I’m not much of an extrovert so darkly tinted the windows, but thus far I’m in awe of this car.

Bish
Yeah, I feel you on the trade in, Mercedes put me in a free loaner for 5 months (its going to snow here) and just bought back my coupe. So as of now, I’m waiting to get into my GTR. I’m glad you like the GHM, I had the same impression with it when I saw one in person.

Have you broken in the engine yet ?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS AMG BS, G63, GT-R and others.
Is your S63 lowered?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:15 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by RuckIt
Is your S63 lowered?
yes sir, brabus links
Old 11-30-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS AMG BS, G63, GT-R and others.
The GT-R will be more your style for sure then!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by amg_ghost
Yeah, I feel you on the trade in, Mercedes put me in a free loaner for 5 months (its going to snow here) and just bought back my coupe. So as of now, I’m waiting to get into my GTR. I’m glad you like the GHM, I had the same impression with it when I saw one in person.

Jesus, I wish! lol

Car just delivered Monday, and I’ve had a busy week at work. I’ve gotten the windows tinted and am now waiting on getting the car covered in Xpel Stealth as I’m paranoid about the GHM being damaged. If the weather holds I’m going to try and get as many miles on it ASAP.

Bish
Old 11-30-2017, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Jesus, I wish! lol

Car just delivered Monday, and I’ve had a busy week at work. I’ve gotten the windows tinted and am now waiting on getting the car covered in Xpel Stealth as I’m paranoid about the GHM being damaged. If the weather holds I’m going to try and get as many miles on it ASAP.

Bish

BISH:

Congrats!!

Yea it’s a ***** finally getting a new monster car and having to wait a few days before driving it because its getting wrapped.
Are you going to ceramic coat it too? I did.

Of course my GTR is white but it sure seems to be easier to keep clean between washes.

If Vic when he gets a few spare moments will set up the separate area for wraps and member comments we can keep better track of how each one is doing over time. I’m using the new 3M 10 year warranty and a ceramic coat called Gtechniq over that with a 5 year warranty.

I’m not sure I personally would want to drive my GTR in the snow if I had other choices.

Enjoy your new ride.

Best regards

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 11-30-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:49 PM

AMG GTR
Jesus, I wish! lol

Bish

I have driven a magno cashmere car through 4 seasons, snow, salt, and sun. The paint is actually rock solid, never had ANY swirls on it, no rock chips, never had a 3M coating. Just do not wash your car at car washes no wax or oils. I use Dr Beasly’s soap, two buckets. Don’t even worry

Originally Posted by RuckIt
The GT-R will be more your style for sure then!
now you are making me eager to get it :-p got to be patient for the next 5 months

Last edited by amg_ghost; 11-30-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by JSwan724
BISH:

Congrats!!

Yea it’s a ***** finally getting a new monster car and having to wait a few days before driving it because its getting wrapped.
Are you going to ceramic coat it too? I did.

Of course my GTR is white but it sure seems to be easier to keep clean between washes.

If Vic when he gets a few spare moments will set up the separate area for wraps and member comments we can keep better track of how each one is doing over time. I’m using the new 3M 10 year warranty and a ceramic coat called Gtechniq over that with a 5 year warranty.

I’m not sure I personally would want to drive my GTR in the snow if I had other choices.

Enjoy your new ride.

Best regards

Jerry
Jerry,

Thanks for the above.

I had my Z06 Opticoated on every exterior surface bar the windows, including over the Xpel Ultimate. Clean up was a breeze; I just used a high quality detail spray most of the time. I’d definitely recommend a ceramic coating.

That being said, I’m not sure if there are ceramic coatings designed for the Xpel Stealth type films, or for the matte paints themselves. I’m sure there are though, so I’ll think about that after I get the PPF installed.

Bish
Old 12-01-2017, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I have driven a magno cashmere car through 4 seasons, snow, salt, and sun. The paint is actually rock solid, never had ANY swirls on it, no rock chips, never had a 3M coating. Just do not wash your car at car washes no wax or oils. I use Dr Beasly’s soap, two buckets. Don’t even worry
Thanks for the advice re: the durability of the paint; it’s good to know.

Bish
Old 12-01-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
@amg ghost, that white s63 coupe looks ****. Hard to go wrong either way but I have more fun driving a smaller sportscar vs a luxo-barge coupe even as a daily driver.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
GLE 350d
Jesus, I wish! lol

Bish
I know that feeling with respect to the unprotected Magno paint. I felt like I was driving around in an egg while getting the car to my detailer, and even then it seemed like every route I took would lead me to another construction zone with loose gravel on the roads. Happy to say that the paranoia disappeared immediately after the car was wrapped.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (12-02-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
GLE 350d

When I first saw promos for the GT R, I really didn't;t understand why anyone would order GHM, but after seeing it in person and in videos on real roads, it has grown on me and really does seem like a great colour for such a special car. I got a GT C Edition 50 Coupe so had no choice on my colour, otherwise Jupiter Red would have been first, followed by GHM.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Jtamindzic
When I first saw promos for the GT R, I really didn't;t understand why anyone would order GHM, but after seeing it in person and in videos on real roads, it has grown on me and really does seem like a great colour for such a special car. I got a GT C Edition 50 Coupe so had no choice on my colour, otherwise Jupiter Red would have been first, followed by GHM.
congrats on the car, magno magnetite grey looks amazing. Had that colour option been available for the GTR I would have maybe considered it.

Originally Posted by surfah
@amg ghost, that white s63 coupe looks ****. Hard to go wrong either way but I have more fun driving a smaller sportscar vs a luxo-barge coupe even as a daily driver.
yeah, that’s the thing, I think that’s more for me the aspect of having a car full of technology really. The only thing I can’t get my head wrapped around is the fact that these cars (even 18’s) do not come with car play. That is probably the only thing that annoyed me with the GTR. Thanks yeah I’m going to miss my s63 though it did look mean :-)

Last edited by amg_ghost; 12-01-2017 at 06:20 PM.
C5DRVR (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
S550
Get some RennTech blow off valves to make it louder; they're a nice enhancement to the already sonorous exhaust note.
C5DRVR (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
congrats on the car, magno magnetite grey looks amazing. Had that colour option been available for the GTR I would have maybe considered it.
Is that what the Edition 50 is? Just a matte version of magnetite black? Or magnetite grey or something? I mean I know it's called "graphite". But yeah, if I could get a GTR in that color... hell yes. I thought about ordering a Magnetite Black GTR and then wrapping it with matte PPF. But I don't think I've seen any other MB out there like that. So it's hard to visualize what it would look like.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:43 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Uhlenhaut
Get some RennTech blow off valves to make it louder; they're a nice enhancement to the already sonorous exhaust note.
does that affect warranty ? Very curious and interested by this.

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Is that what the Edition 50 is? Just a matte version of magnetite black? Or magnetite grey or something? I mean I know it's called "graphite". But yeah, if I could get a GTR in that color... hell yes. I thought about ordering a Magnetite Black GTR and then wrapping it with matte PPF. But I don't think I've seen any other MB out there like that. So it's hard to visualize what it would look like.
You are right, I got my colours confused I think, its graphite magno. Looks amazing in person too. But if it were up to me I would have ordered it designo magno night black, but did not feel like waiting an extra 2 production months...
Old 12-02-2017, 01:49 AM

GT3
does that affect warranty ? Very curious and interested by this.

You are right, I got my colours confused I think, its graphite magno. Looks amazing in person too. But if it were up to me I would have ordered it designo magno night black, but did not feel like waiting an extra 2 production months...
Designo Magno Night Black? Have not seen that one either. What country are you in? Here in the US, we don't have that one.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:12 AM

AMG GTR
Designo Magno Night Black? Have not seen that one either. What country are you in? Here in the US, we don't have that one.

I live in Canada. I have a good relationship with the brand and they offered to accept my demand to paint one in that colour, but it’s around 13k Canadian (asked for an s63 coupe) they have to pull the vehicle off the line to get it painted so that generally takes an extra two months of delivery time
Old 12-02-2017, 02:41 AM

GT3
I live in Canada. I have a good relationship with the brand and they offered to accept my demand to paint one in that colour, but it’s around 13k Canadian (asked for an s63 coupe) they have to pull the vehicle off the line to get it painted so that generally takes an extra two months of delivery time
You've got enough clout to have a car pulled from production to get it painted a one-off color? Jesus.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:28 AM

AMG GTR
You've got enough clout to have a car pulled from production to get it painted a one-off color? Jesus.
I have OCD when it comes to changing cars
Old 12-02-2017, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
someone here in the US also has the clout to get one in a special colour.

Last edited by thebishman; 12-02-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:02 PM

GT3
someone here in the US also has the clout to get one in a special colour.

[img]webkit-fake-url://094efa84-0482-4175-915d-3c796119575a/imagejpeg[/img]
Photo doesn't work. Just a bunch of garbled code. Not a real .jpg...
Old 12-02-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 AMG GT S

^^^I think he is referring to the E63S Edition 1 matte black color ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New GTR owner long time AMG history