Sponsored by:

Fond or Fade Over Time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG GT
Fond or Fade Over Time

I placed my order for a GT in October 2017. My build date is late February 2018. For those of you who waited a long time for your cars, or still waiting, I am interested in how you felt/feel about the car over time. As you waited, were you more excited and fond of the car you waited so long to get? Alternatively, by having to wait so long, did the excitement and anticipation fade over time? To be honest, I am experiencing both.

Last edited by jstewperry; 01-17-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 SL600, 2017 AMG GTS
I ordered my GTS in June, and have yet to get a build date. I'd say that my anticipation is fading, but I'm sure that it will pick up, as soon as I have a build date.

I have had two dreams about it, though. In the first, when I went to pick it up, a woman drove it around to me, and left it in neutral when she got out. It then rolled backwards into a pole.
I the second dream, when I went to pay for it, the final bill was $195k.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by sneezix
I ordered my GTS in June, and have yet to get a build date. I'd say that my anticipation is fading, but I'm sure that it will pick up, as soon as I have a build date.

I have had two dreams about it, though. In the first, when I went to pick it up, a woman drove it around to me, and left it in neutral when she got out. It then rolled backwards into a pole.
Whoa. Those are some crazy dreams.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS55
Hopefully not premonitions.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by jstewperry
I placed my order for a GT in October 2017. My build date is late February 2018. For those of you who waited a long time for your cars, or still waiting, I am interested in how you felt/feel about the car over time. As you waited, were you more excited and fond of the car you waited so long to get? Alternatively, by having to wait so long, did the excitement and anticipation fade over time? To be honest, I am experiencing both.
Totally worth it both times. Once for a GTS and the other for a GTC Vert.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Originally Posted by sneezix

I ordered my GTS in June as well. My car is ready for pickup this weekend.
I have changed my mind a dozen times during the wait. Color, options , etc. however, I never cancelled. I also looked for a GTr close by. No luck.

im psyched to get it but the enthusiasm is gone.

Sneezix,
how can you still not have a build date? I'd tell that dealer to kiss my commission good-bye. And fully loaded, the price will be close to the one in your dream? I'm at 171k. I could have added CCB for another ten; engine cover and I'd be closer. You should know the price when you configure it and put down a deposit
Old 01-17-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by guynamedsean

Whoa. Those are some crazy dreams.
if it makes you sleep better, I car goes into park when you open the door. Lol. So no hot sales lady can have your car roll away.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 SL600, 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by thecutter64
And fully loaded, the price will be close to the one in your dream? I'm at 171k. I could have added CCB for another ten; engine cover and I'd be closer. You should know the price when you configure it and put down a deposit
No, the way I have it configured, it should be about $142k.

Originally Posted by guynamedsean
if it makes you sleep better, I car goes into park when you open the door. Lol. So no hot sales lady can have your car roll away.
Whew!
Old 01-17-2018, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Ordered my car in June 16 and got it in October. The enthusiasm never got down and I could not be happier with the car (other than I want more power and could not get in the 10s but that's not the car's problem).
There is always a new shiny object that can detract from the new toy you are waiting for but AMG built plenty of excitement in this car and it will bring you a smile every time you drive it.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:04 PM

AMG GT
I have kept an eye out for other GTs that may surface in the area and have flirted with making a switch for a "bird in hand" versus my custom build that is "in the bush." So far, I have resisted making a switch because I realized that I would only be satisfied until the time my build would be ready. I even flirted with switching to an F-Type R. Even my Jaguar dealer whom I have known for many years agreed that I should just wait for the GT.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
My GTS was the most fun car I have owned. I just couldn't get over the back end , if it had a spoiler it would still be in my garage. Every time I drove it was a blast. Will probably get a GTR or GTC coupe at some point. You won't be disappointed.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:02 PM

AMG GT
I just heard from my dealer. My car has been built and it is on its way to the US! This is closer to my original build date of mid-January and well ahead of my revised build date of late February. I am getting excited again and happy I did not go with any other GT that popped up on the market over the past few months!
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
I just heard from my dealer. My car has been built and it is on its way to the US! This is closer to my original build date of mid-January and well ahead of my revised build date of late February. I am getting excited again and happy I did not go with any other GT that popped up on the market over the past few months!
Totally pumped when I originally ordered. But my car got caught in hurricanes on the ship, so it quelled my excitement midway.

On that weekend I received GT Car was one of my best. V8 sounds were ludicrous and reminded me of a 69 big block corvette I had as a teen.

Hang in there, it will be great.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 02-01-2018 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jstewperry (02-02-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
My first AMG model was a CL55. I was really looking forrward to it but it arrived on 9-11. Took all the excitement out of it.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:50 PM

AMG GT
If all goes well, my car will reach Baltimore by Feb 25th, then transported by rail to Chicago. I hope all goes smoothly. One glitch so far is that I ordered winter tires and Zito wheels back in November. The tires are here, but the wheels were backordered and are being finished now. I hope the wheels arrive before the car in case I need to put on winter tires for a short period of time. I will just have to wait and see.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
How exciting. Bet the anticipation is killing you but will be worth it when you take delivery of the new whip, weather permitting.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:06 AM

AMG GT
My car may arrive next week, the vessel arrived at Baltimore earlier this week. I am not convinced my winter wheels will arrive by then. Quite frankly, I am very disappointed about the wheels, especially since I was originally told that it would take 4-6 weeks when I ordered them back in October. Who knows, I may not need the winter tires/wheels until next season. In any case, I am focused on the big picture! I am getting very excited about the car! Any day now!

Anyone consider paint protective film (PPF)? I will search the forum for a thread on this topic.

Last edited by jstewperry; 03-02-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
My car may arrive next week, the vessel arrived at Baltimore earlier this week. I am not convinced my winter wheels will arrive by then. Quite frankly, I am very disappointed about the wheels, especially since I was originally told that it would take 4-6 weeks when I ordered them back in October. Who knows, I may not need the winter tires/wheels until next season. In any case, I am focused on the big picture! I am getting very excited about the car! Any day now!

Anyone consider paint protective film (PPF)? I will search the forum for a thread on this topic.

Good luck with the final days waiting, which can often be the most difficult. I got to see my car getting unloaded from its shipping container - was like wow when the doors opened

Re PPF, get the front bumper done ASAP - I procrastinated the merits, while getting the nose chipped every day in the first few weeks.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
I wouldn't consider such a purchase without ppf. You can do the front or the whole thing. Random things happen, I would ppf the whole thing and then some. https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...door-sill.html
Old 03-03-2018, 01:49 PM

AMG GT
Now that the car will arrive any day now, there are two things I am pretty sure I am going to do based on some additional research and advice:
1) PPF that includes entire hood, front fenders, side mirrors, front bumper, rocker panels, door handle cups and rear bumper (it's called the Sports Car package by MIDWEST AUTOBAHND, the company that works with my dealer)
2) Tire/wheel insurance (Chicago roads can be brutal)

For me, this will be a daily driver so I want to have greater protection!
Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 AM

AMG GT
It's finally here! While I took pictures today, it still needs to be prepped, detailed, and PPF'd. I will post pictures after this is done. It looks great and it was worth the wait.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by eball77
My GTS was the most fun car I have owned. I just couldn't get over the back end , if it had a spoiler it would still be in my garage. Every time I drove it was a blast. Will probably get a GTR or GTC coupe at some point. You won't be disappointed.
Im the complete opposite. I hate it that the spoiler comes up at 75mph. I also had no interest in the Edition 1s because of the spoiler. The thing I like most about this car are the clean lines. Otherwise, I’d still be in a Porsche.