Dealer Tune add 130 hp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by Stentplacer
Had tune done yesterday at AMG PREFORMANCE CENTER. This one of if not the largest MB dealerships in the USA. I asked if they were using Renntech tune and they said is was not. I don’t know what they did.

I have to admit I’m not up on any of this .....the service guy brought it up to me that they could add hp to the car with software tune. I had this done years ago on a 911. It added some hp but minimal.

This tune has really changed the behavior of the car as the idle rev is higher and when you engage the transmission it wants to leap forward and go. I’m not sure if it’s what I expected. I was hoping for it to run like favtory them when you hit gas power was there. Is this common?

After all the comments from members here I’m going to contact the service manager to discuss the factory warranty issue that was reiterated to me several times would not be effected by this tune from the MB DEALERSHIP ....they would 100% stand behind.

i appreciate all the feedback from the members.
All of this is bizarre. What dealership is this and what did they charge you for this "MB tune"? At least we could figure out if they happen to be an authorized Renntech dealer and are just not telling you. I wonder if they just updated your ECU. Also, the butt dyno can be deceiving. There are some serious misrepresentations going on here.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
If you install an aftermarket tune and you drive the crap out of your car for a week and nothing goes pop, nothing will go pop due to the tune..

Too many people know too little about tuning and blame the tunes rather than their own abuse on the drivetrain...
The following users liked this post:
Stentplacer (02-17-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by ronin amg
If you install an aftermarket tune and you drive the crap out of your car for a week and nothing goes pop, nothing will go pop due to the tune..

Too many people know too little about tuning and blame the tunes rather than their own abuse on the drivetrain...
Sorry but I don't agree.

If some moron installs a tune incorrectly and buggers up the AFR so that the car runs way too lean under boost, yes the motor will 'pop' soon after the install. Conversely, a tune that adds a lot of hp/torque to the car may not 'pop' the motor in the first week because the AFR, etc is fine, BUT the markedly increased 'power' may be too much for the OEM components within the drivetrain over a longer time frame, and hence will decrease, perhaps quite dramatically, the time to failure of those components.
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
MalibuScott (02-18-2018), soulsea (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thebishman
Sorry but I don't agree.

If some moron installs a tune incorrectly and buggers up the AFR so that the car runs way too lean under boost, yes the motor will 'pop' soon after the install. Conversely, a tune that adds a lot of hp/torque to the car may not 'pop' the motor in the first week because the AFR, etc is fine, BUT the markedly increased 'power' may be too much for the OEM components within the drivetrain over a longer time frame, and hence will decrease, perhaps quite dramatically, the time to failure of those components.
Please tell me about the cars you have tuned for drivability and performance...because I get the feeling you have never actually tuned a performance car...
Old 02-18-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTs
Ronin AMG

Thank You....I have never had a tune on a car like this. I just came out of a 2017 Z06.....it was so fast w 650 hp ...I never felt the need.
Honestly the GTS factory felt great. I went to the service dept to get the Valentine 1 hardwired so the cord was not exposed. I was introduced to the AMG guy who handles the work for the AMG PERFORMANCE CENTER at the dealer. He said how would you like to add 100 hp to the car. Car had 503 add 100 still less than Z06.....sure that sounds fun.

I said w Z I would voidmy warranty if it was tuned, GM would void warranty. He said it’s not a problem...what we do we stand behind and the warranty is not voided. I said sure go for it. $2800.00

i then posted on forum and started getting info from members who had a whole different spin on the warranty issue. I’m going to contact the GM OR SERVICE MANAGER tomorrow to discuss. I feel like I might have been misled. Trust but verify!

Now to your point...I really don’t know what to expect. This thing in S and S+ is a monster. Love all the backfiring etc.

One thing I’ve noticed ...only driven few times since tune...the tach will sometimes jump from 1000 to 2500 and back a few times. Felt weird.
‘Also when engaging the transmission....backing out of garage there is a hesitation and a bit of a lurch. Sometimes stopped going into drive.
I think it was doing that before tune but now seems a little more pronounced.

I really love love this car. I hope to get this all clarified tomorrow and maybe I’m just obsessing on these little things.

Best Regards
Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Please tell me about the cars you have tuned for drivability and performance...because I get the feeling you have never actually tuned a performance car...
Well you’re wrong, as I had my ‘09 R35 GTR tuned multiple times.

Look, you and I know that most tunes from reputable companies only enhance the performance of a car and remain within the manufacturer ‘s tolerances. But there are instances of tunes being installed that were poorly done leading to damage, either short or long term to the vehicle. Not everyone knows what they’re doing, plus some owners want major hp increases without going to the trouble/expense of upgrading necessary components.
Bish
Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
I have had a few of my cars tuned in the past including my AMG GTS (now sold). I haven't experienced any major problems with cars I've had tuned but I have had friends and acquaintances who have had transmission (F10 M5) and engine failures (C7 RS6). A tune on my Golf R a couple of years ago gave me a minor problem because the tuners hadn't remapped the DCT to cope with the increased load from the engine.

Overall I'd have to agree with thebishman and logically there is no way around it. If you increase power you increase wear and increase the chances of component failure especially if the tuner just puts a map on or inserts a piggyback box.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thebishman

Well you’re wrong, as I had my ‘09 R35 GTR tuned multiple times.

Look, you and I know that most tunes from reputable companies only enhance the performance of a car and remain within the manufacturer ‘s tolerances. But there are instances of tunes being installed that were poorly done leading to damage, either short or long term to the vehicle. Not everyone knows what they’re doing, plus some owners want major hp increases without going to the trouble/expense of upgrading necessary components.
Bish
If you had your car tuned multiple times you went to a tuner that didn't know what he was doing. You get what you pay for.
I've tuned not bought tunes for cars over the years and have never had a tuned related failure ever in the past 35 yrs... They either work or they don't.
Again if you abuse your stock car like a jack off it will fail, now tune the car by a reputable tuner and give it the same abuse and now you will have someone other than yourself to blame..
Once a car is properly tuned it doesn't change.
Stentplacer (02-19-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol
Guys, I recall an interview with Steve Dinan a while back who acknowledged that even with his conservative BMW tunes, engine life (time to major rebuild) is somewhat reduced. Not by much. But It's only logical. How many of these typically pampered cars will ever see that many miles?
Stentplacer (02-22-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stentplacer-- did you ever get to the bottom of this MB "tune"?
Old 02-25-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTs
Originally Posted by Case1906
Stentplacer-- did you ever get to the bottom of this MB "tune"?
going out of town for a week leaving car at dealer for Ceramic Pro. I’m having service mgr look into everything.
thebishman (02-27-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TBA
Ronin AMG

Thank You....I have never had a tune on a car like this. I just came out of a 2017 Z06.....it was so fast w 650 hp ...I never felt the need.
Honestly the GTS factory felt great. I went to the service dept to get the Valentine 1 hardwired so the cord was not exposed. I was introduced to the AMG guy who handles the work for the AMG PERFORMANCE CENTER at the dealer. He said how would you like to add 100 hp to the car. Car had 503 add 100 still less than Z06.....sure that sounds fun.

I said w Z I would voidmy warranty if it was tuned, GM would void warranty. He said it’s not a problem...what we do we stand behind and the warranty is not voided. I said sure go for it. $2800.00

i then posted on forum and started getting info from members who had a whole different spin on the warranty issue. I’m going to contact the GM OR SERVICE MANAGER tomorrow to discuss. I feel like I might have been misled. Trust but verify!

Now to your point...I really don’t know what to expect. This thing in S and S+ is a monster. Love all the backfiring etc.

One thing I’ve noticed ...only driven few times since tune...the tach will sometimes jump from 1000 to 2500 and back a few times. Felt weird.
‘Also when engaging the transmission....backing out of garage there is a hesitation and a bit of a lurch. Sometimes stopped going into drive.
I think it was doing that before tune but now seems a little more pronounced.

I really love love this car. I hope to get this all clarified tomorrow and maybe I’m just obsessing on these little things.

Best Regards
Hello, this is my first post as I am learning more about AMG GTS. I am getting out of a 2017 C7 Z06 and about to pull a trigger on a CPO GTS. I see some familiar guys from Z06 forum so hello all.
I have alway learned not to trust anything verbal. I had some major cooling upgrades on my 2017 C7 Z06 and cleared it with GM manager in an email in advance. His feedback was that since I am trying to protect the powertrain during performance driving then there is no warranty limitation. If I upgrade the powertrain / ECU to extract more power and at some point I encounter a failure that could be a result of a power increase then any warranty claim will be denied. The manufacturer must prove that the failure was caused by the upgrade and they can easily say we guarantee a Z06 engine, transmission and differential at 650 HP but it was not meant to handle 750HP. End of story.
Would your AMG dealer provide you a written confirmation that the ECU work they did does not void powertrain warrenty in case you encounter a failure whether for normal driving or at a performance driving event?
I am local to Weistec and Dime racing so it’s so attempting to upgrade with down pipes / ECU tune but warranty issues will hold me back from doing so.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:06 PM

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
Originally Posted by 5thgear

Hello, this is my first post as I am learning more about AMG GTS. I am getting out of a 2017 C7 Z06 and about to pull a trigger on a CPO GTS. I see some familiar guys from Z06 forum so hello all.
I have alway learned not to trust anything verbal. I had some major cooling upgrades on my 2017 C7 Z06 and cleared it with GM manager in an email in advance. His feedback was that since I am trying to protect the powertrain during performance driving then there is no warranty limitation. If I upgrade the powertrain / ECU to extract more power and at some point I encounter a failure that could be a result of a power increase then any warranty claim will be denied. The manufacturer must prove that the failure was caused by the upgrade and they can easily say we guarantee a Z06 engine, transmission and differential at 650 HP but it was not meant to handle 750HP. End of story.
Would your AMG dealer provide you a written confirmation that the ECU work they did does not void powertrain warrenty in case you encounter a failure whether for normal driving or at a performance driving event?
I am local to Weistec and Dime racing so it’s so attempting to upgrade with down pipes / ECU tune but warranty issues will hold me back from doing so.
On one of my track days at Mosport with my GTS my buddy there had just gotten his AMG GTR, and there was another GTS there which had a Eurocharged tune, which the owner seemed to really like. I talked to him about performance, driveability on the street with the tune and he said all was good. But I would suspect a GTS motor is north of $50,000, and would wonder who would actually cover that, say a connecting rod came out the side of the block, as happened to a Z06 heavy track user I communicated with a lot. So warranty issue is also a big deal for me and why I have not pulled the trigger on an ECU tune for my GTS since I like to drive it on the track. But I did put a tune on my Nissan GT-R, and no issues at all, but it's out of warranty. Not much experience with GTS use on track so far with guys driving them flat out to see if there are warranty/engine reliability issues on stock motors, let alone tuned motors. If transmission is $22k, about the same range as a Nissan GT-R DCT transmission when it came out , then that is another item to consider when upping the torque. Street use is one thing, but flat out all day on tack weekend after weekend is quite another. I have spoken a few times to Danny Kok who runs the AMG Driving Academy program in Canada, and he said they had not had any reliability issues with the GTS on track, but who knows how hard they are driven. But they do get a lot of track mileage on them, all stock of course.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol
From my perspective, it's about intended use. Not that there isn't a 5% chance lurking in the back of my head that a tune can be harmful, but after seeing how mercilessly brutal the GTS's are treated at the AMG Driving Academy (left running 6-10 hrs. per day, novice drivers intent on killing them, 25k miles on the odo's,etc....and knowing the buffer built in by AMG for poor fuel, warranties and marketing options,....ya' gotta figure that under typical, street driving conditions, they're probably well within the tolerance level with a street tune.. My $.02-cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by 06032:
emericr (03-05-2018), thebishman (03-04-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T

going out of town for a week leaving car at dealer for Ceramic Pro. I’m having service mgr look into everything.
whatever happened here?
Old 04-02-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS Edition 1
Wait, I’m confused. I thought the Magnusson-Moss act provided protection for aftermarket accessories (including tunes).

From a popular chip tuner site:

In order to understand your rights under the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, please see below excerpt. A full transcript of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act can be located here.

When accessorizing your vehicle with aftermarket parts, your warranty claim cannot be automatically denied, nor can your warranty be voided, if you install non-OEM parts in your vehicle. The burden is on the dealer to prove the aftermarket parts caused the failure. For example, if your windshield wiper motors fail, your vehicle’s warranty claim can’t be denied because you installed aftermarket performance programmer, tuner, chip, etc. Similarly, if a wheel bearing fails or a fan belt snaps and you have an aftermarket exhaust installed, the dealership would have to prove the exhaust system caused the bearing failure or the belt to snap in order to deny a warranty claim. In these types of scenarios, the dealership should have no reason to deny your claims.

In addition to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, you also have SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) working to protect your rights. Because SEMA represents U.S. aftermarket wholesalers, retailers, distributors and manufacturers, they often keep car manufacturers in check by supporting legislation that prevents dealership service providers from denying warranty coverage. This means dealerships have become less stringent when it comes to aftermarket parts that modify performance or suspension.

Is this not accurate?
Old 04-02-2018, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Not a lawyer but:

I think the MM Act was initially enacted so that aftermarket parts such as oil filters etc could be used without the manufacturer denying a warranty claim on an engine malfunction. It has ‘morphed’ since that time as aftermarket parts have exploded. But essentially the manufacturers can’t deny a warranty claim on say an engine just because you’ve installed different shocks.

Now anything within the drivetrain they could give you a hassle over with a tune that increases HP.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GT
Talking

Welcome to part 88 in our series "To Tune or Not"
When we last left Stentplacer he was going out of town for a week and had left his GTS at the dealer for a ceramic pro app and was waiting on service mgr for answers on what tune was done to his car and the warranty ramifications. That was 3 months ago
What gives what happened I read this whole thread and it just ended we never heard from Stentplacer after he left town????
sno (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cproGT
Welcome to part 88 in our series "To Tune or Not"
When we last left Stentplacer he was going out of town for a week and had left his GTS at the dealer for a ceramic pro app and was waiting on service mgr for answers on what tune was done to his car and the warranty ramifications. That was 3 months ago
What gives what happened I read this whole thread and it just ended we never heard from Stentplacer after he left town????
Actually, I think the name of the soap opera is "As the World Tunes". Waiting for the next episode....
sno (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 12:55 PM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
dang I read all of that and nothing.., I want my 15 min back... LOL
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon