Sponsored by:

Dealer Tune add 130 hp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTs
Dealer Tune add 100 hp

Anyone had their GTs tuned from your MB Dealership. What’s a reasonable price to pay.

Last edited by Stentplacer; 02-18-2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Incorrect
Old 02-15-2018, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
$3495 for RennTech via authorized MB AMG Performance Centers
The following users liked this post:
Stentplacer (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:26 PM

AMG GTs
Getting mine done Monday....can’t wait.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Originally Posted by thecutter64
$3495 for RennTech via authorized MB AMG Performance Centers
Intersting, I didn't know this.

Does that mean that because the AD installed it that it doesn't affect the MB warranty?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
MB doesnt cover any warranty claims that are derived from the Renntech tune- instead Renntech puts their feet in MBUSA's shoes to cover the claim if installed by a dealer who has partnered with them.

This is much like Dinan and BMW.

Last edited by Vic55; 02-15-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 PM

☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Originally Posted by Vic55
MB doesnt cover any warranty claims that are derived from the Renntech tune- instead Renntech puts their feet in MBUSA's shoes to cover the claim.

This much like Dinan and BMW.
Ah ok that makes sense ... I guess what I'm asking is what happens if the engine fails for whatever reason, does MB coordinate and cooperate with Renntech to find the root issue and determine who's covering the warranty, or does MB say 'we wash our hands of any issues once the tune has been installed and take it up with Renntech?'

Take Callaway and GM for example, where it doesn't matter what fails and who's at fault, the dealer just fixes it and they sort out the warranty liabilities between them.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:45 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by soulsea
Ah ok that makes sense ... I guess what I'm asking is what happens if the engine fails for whatever reason, does MB coordinate and cooperate with Renntech to find the root issue and determine who's covering the warranty, or does MB say 'we wash our hands of any issues once the tune has been installed and take it up with Renntech?'

Take Callaway and GM for example, where it doesn't matter what fails and who's at fault, the dealer just fixes it and they sort out the warranty liabilities between them.
Thats a good question but I doubt Renntech has that type of relationship with MBUSA. Remember Stasis and Audi? Stasis guaranteed to cover any issues that were the fault of the modded part and then they went belly up and stopped paying the dealers and Audi NA washed their hands.

I think the Renntech deal is with the dealer and not MBUSA so the dealer would have to work it out with RT only.
soulsea (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by soulsea

It all comes down to what the failure is and how Benz can prove it’s related and deny the initial claim.

then it becomes interesting, as a tuner will absolutely deny a claim initially to mitigate any damages. Then the burden is on Benz to prove that the mod caused the failure.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Put it this way, major component failures in MB world go up to engineering level for inspection when under warranty. The guys there are well aware of what and how things are modified. They look for tunes and things of that nature to deny warranty liability. They can also see everything in the computer, not what a dealer or tuner can see. There is no hidden tune with them.

On the flip side, if the cause isn't directly related to excessive power, they'd be hard pressed to deny your warranty. If you spit a rod out the side of the block, yeah that's on you, but if your injector fails, there's not gonna be an investigation, that's handled at the dealer level and will be warrantied without a problem in 99% of the situations.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Guaranteed that part of the (high) cost of the Renntech tune is an insurance policy taken out by Renntech to help pay for major engine failures should it/they occur when an official Renntech dealer installs it.

That being said, what happens if your DCT breaks? Does the Renntech ‘warranty’ cover it, because MB could easily say the tune has exceeded the OEM torque limits of the gearbox and refuse to cover a very costly failure.

I would read every single word of what the warranty covers, and who determines who covers the repair, and make sure you have it in writing.

Bish
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 PM

AMG GTs
I’m coming out of a Z06. First thing they said was any tunes,,,,other than CALLAWAY.....would void warranty for major engine failures.

The first thing I asked the Service Mgr at the AMG PERFORMANCE CENTER.....was about the warranty. He assured me the tune would not void the factory warranty in any way. I will ask for that in writing!

i mis typed they quoted 100 hp and 130 lb ft of torque. A friend just added a SC to his R8. 30k....for 100 hp. This seems like a bargain.
wish me luck.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by thebishman
Guaranteed that part of the (high) cost of the Renntech tune is an insurance policy taken out by Renntech to help pay for major engine failures should it/they occur when an official Renntech dealer installs it.

That being said, what happens if your DCT breaks? Does the Renntech ‘warranty’ cover it, because MB could easily say the tune has exceeded the OEM torque limits of the gearbox and refuse to cover a very costly failure.

I would read every single word of what the warranty covers, and who determines who covers the repair, and make sure you have it in writing.

Bish
Transmission alone is $22k, just something to consider.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stentplacer
I’m coming out of a Z06. First thing they said was any tunes,,,,other than CALLAWAY.....would void warranty for major engine failures.

The first thing I asked the Service Mgr at the AMG PERFORMANCE CENTER.....was about the warranty. He assured me the tune would not void the factory warranty in any way. I will ask for that in writing!

i mis typed they quoted 100 hp and 130 lb ft of torque. A friend just added a SC to his R8. 30k....for 100 hp. This seems like a bargain.
wish me luck.
Good luck with that in writing as the dealer can NOT speak for a factory warranty. But if they are selling that tune then they own the responsibility if the tune causes a warranty issue. We need to see the fine print here for sure.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vic55:
Jeff Whitten (02-18-2018), sno (07-02-2018), thebishman (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 02:09 PM

AMG GTs
GTs tune

The tune is not associated with Renntech. It’s proprietary MB software.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Really- do tell more. I have been tuning cars for over 16 years (including 11 amg's) and have NEVER heard of MB software tunes.

Sorry, dont mean to call you out but there is a smoking gun here. The only thing that I can even equate to here is a NON S car getting a tune to the S level of power but no chance a dealer gets the factory definitions to do such an upgrade.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
A tune from the mother ship. That’s good.

Yeah this is dealer sales talk.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
A tune from the mother ship. That’s good.

Yeah this is dealer sales talk.
Its their new competition package equivalent to match up with BMW LOL.
AMG 17GT (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60

Please research the hell out of this before you spend the money to lose your OEM warranty. Any dealership telling you that there is an official MB tune for your car is a dealership you need to run away from.

Bish
Old 02-16-2018, 08:45 PM

☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Originally Posted by thebishman
Please research the hell out of this before you spend the money to lose your OEM warranty. Any dealership telling you that there is an official MB tune for your car is a dealership you need to run away from.

Bish
That's the thing ...

In a world where an MB tune doesn't exist the next best thing is the dealership installing one's Renntech tune. That usually means that the dealership is mod friendly and will work with the customer should something fail. I'm actually quite surprised that any dealership would be willing to do this and accept the associated potential liability.

The only disqualifier is if the dealership deceives the customer telling him that an aftermarket tune is from MB, in which case they shouldn't be trusted period.

I'm hoping that there was some miscommunication and something was lost in translation tween the dealer and the OP, because if they're willing to install a Renntech tune that would be a good thing.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:19 AM

AMG GTs
Had tune done yesterday at AMG PREFORMANCE CENTER. This one of if not the largest MB dealerships in the USA. I asked if they were using Renntech tune and they said is was not. I don’t know what they did.

I have to admit I’m not up on any of this .....the service guy brought it up to me that they could add hp to the car with software tune. I had this done years ago on a 911. It added some hp but minimal.

This tune has really changed the behavior of the car as the idle rev is higher and when you engage the transmission it wants to leap forward and go. I’m not sure if it’s what I expected. I was hoping for it to run like favtory them when you hit gas power was there. Is this common?

After all the comments from members here I’m going to contact the service manager to discuss the factory warranty issue that was reiterated to me several times would not be effected by this tune from the MB DEALERSHIP ....they would 100% stand behind.

i appreciate all the feedback from the members.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Had tune done yesterday at AMG PREFORMANCE CENTER. This one of if not the largest MB dealerships in the USA. I asked if they were using Renntech tune and they said is was not. I don’t know what they did.

I have to admit I’m not up on any of this .....the service guy brought it up to me that they could add hp to the car with software tune. I had this done years ago on a 911. It added some hp but minimal.

This tune has really changed the behavior of the car as the idle rev is higher and when you engage the transmission it wants to leap forward and go. I’m not sure if it’s what I expected. I was hoping for it to run like favtory them when you hit gas power was there. Is this common?

After all the comments from members here I’m going to contact the service manager to discuss the factory warranty issue that was reiterated to me several times would not be effected by this tune from the MB DEALERSHIP ....they would 100% stand behind.

Are you in SoCal?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Strange. Car should act exactly like stock except when you’re into the throttle. What’s it like on throttle?

I’m curious as to what his answer is going to be. Did you at least get it in writing?

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 02-17-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:48 AM

☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt

When you speak to the service manager also ask him to tell you exactly what it is that they installed on your car, there has to be some documentation with specs (what parameters are changed in this tune and what the result is) and warranty speak either from them or the manufacturer of the tune. Also ask them if they saved your original tune as I don’t know if an MB dealership has a database of all the stock tunes ... they might, I just don’t know, and you have to be able to reverse it whenever you wish.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Sorry there is no MB factory upgrade "tune"... there are only ECU definitions to match with the VIN of the car the OP bought.

They either sold you an aftermarket tune or reset your adaptations which can easily lead to the feel of a more lively car at idle when you get on the throttle. I hope you got your monies worth which would mean the dealer gave you an aftermarket tune. I am a few miles away from THE largest MBZ dealer in the US and they have no clue about such a MB product.

Remember we are here to help so please go back to the dealer and address what they really did.

Last edited by Vic55; 02-17-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Stentplacer (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
The initial high idle speed could well be the ECU adapting to the new tune parameters; it should return to a normal level after you’ve driven for a while. If it doesn’t it needs to be troubleshooted ASAP since too high an idle could be a danger in certain circumstances.

Vic is 100% correct and probably knows more about tuning an MB vehicle than any dealership. There is no known true factory tunes for the car, only aftermarket tunes, one of which is Renntech’s tune which is sold/installed at certain dealerships. If you have it written down that your car is covered by the existing MB warranty for all non-driveline related issues, and by the aftermarket warranty for driveline issues, then as long as you use your dealership you should have any issues.

Let us know how it’s driving after an additional couple of hundred miles of adaptation.

Bish
Stentplacer (02-17-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer Tune add 130 hp