Sponsored by:

AMG GTC Edition 50 Paint Concern

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
AMG GTC Edition 50 Paint Concern

Picking up an AMG GTC Edition 50 today and am having 11th hour concerns about paint and upkeep of the magno matte paint. I am not always the best at getting the car washed the day after a rain storm or if it gets bird droppings on it. Would usually take it to the hand wash by my house where I have always taken my cars with regular gloss paint finishes. I live in so cal so the bird droppings are more of an issue than the rain. Just know I most likely won't have the time to give it the attention of using Dr. Beasley's on a daily or even weekly basis. From reading all the threads here the advice seems mixed. Some say it's a nightmare while others say just using water and car wash cleaner without wax additives is safe. Not sure what typical car washes use but would hope hand wash locations in LA have enough experience with matte cars by now. Any advice would be super appreciated!
Old 02-17-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Matte PPF would be my suggestion (again)!
Old 02-17-2018, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
100% agree with the above. If you’re going to be having the car washed at a commercial establishment most of the time, there’s no way of telling what type of abrasive and/or wax containing/shine enhancing products they use. Best thing for the car’s paint on so many levels is to have it totally covered in Xpel Stealth UNLESS you find a really good detail place that uses the correct products to maintain the finish. Although without PPF you’re paint’s not protected from road debris though.

Bish
Old 02-17-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
None Yet
This is exactly why I skipped on the 50 and waiting on my metallic painted GTC. I don’t need something else to worry about.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Ive had matte paint for 2 yrs. I have painted 5 panels so far. The one and only way to keep a car with matte paint is to have it wrapped with clear bra, paint protection film. Do it when you first get the car. After you put the bra on it, you can wash it, with whatever you want. Dont use a brushing car wash, use normal car washing methods . Youll never have any other abnormal trouble with it. You need to use expel stealth film. Just consider its cheaper and easier to spend for this, than to try to protect the paint any other way
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (02-18-2018)