Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 RS or an AMG GTR?

Old 01-24-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
458 spider / 991 turbo s
GT3 RS or an AMG GTR?

As the title states, I have an order for both. It will purely be a track car. Right now, I have the option to keep my GTR order track it, and then resell it when my gt3 rs finally arrives. Or should I just scrap the GTR keep the gt3 rs order, and maybe reevaluate the gtr later in the future?

Another question: Is GTR production non-limited and what do we think depreciation will be?
Old 01-24-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
Forget GTR and keep GT3 order.

That's a no brainer for me.

As to depreciation, it will be bad as it's not limited and there will be some other variant around the corner.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 PM

BMW M6
As for retail value we don't know anything on GTR, it might be as an SLS Black series where it only went up in price.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
GTR's will be plentiful. GT3rs not so much. So are you buying it for you or the next owner?
Old 01-24-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GTR (sadly now sold)+991.2 GT3 RS+GT3 Touring+991 GTS+997 GT3 RS+996 GT3 RS+964 RS+Mini Cooper S
If I had to choose, I would choose a GT3 RS. No question. I have a GTR on order, due August, that will join the GT3 in the garage so I look forward to see how they compare...but if I had to choose.

When do you expect your RS because the last ones ares are now trickling out of the factory.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
I wouldn't want the last of the outgoing GT 3 rs. Way too many reliability issues and those cars are going to flood the market right before warranty runs out AND for all the trades for new model. The .2 will be the P car to own.

GTRs numbers indicate it will be a track weapon. Don't expect it to drop much as there is limited availability through 2017.

The only other variant will be a Black series in 2019. ( maybe).

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 01-24-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Great problem you have
If bragging rights is your thing, the GTR spanks a GT3-RS (already a video of a stock GT-S beating it in the 1/2 mile) in a straight line and in the twisties (7.11 versus 7.27 Nurburgring).
Obviously most guys in the P forum will say the RS. I am impressed that some here also would take the P car.
It is really 2 different cars that excel at what they do. The P car is a scalpel that has been refined for 30 years and the GTR is the fairly new kid on the block.
If you have to only have one, May I suggest a simple test drive of both "base model" (GTS and GT3 since you can't really easily test the RS and the GTR is not out yet) It will paint a clear picture on which one you prefer. Obviously the uber models brings the dial to 11 but the DNA is there for you to understand the way they act and react with your senses.
The flares and the large wing in the back does differentiate the RS but most people will not tell the difference between it and a base 911. Since the GTR only has a GT(S) brother, it is a rare site and people tend to gravitate around more than the P car.
Personally, the GT3-RS is too track oriented and looks that way from both inside and outside. The GT-R is sleeker and more daily driver friendly.
Finally, the GT-R will be easier to bring to higher hp with a simple tune if you are like tinkering with your cars.
You probably now got my point that I would not think twice about getting the GTR.
The following users liked this post:
Promise (01-26-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
^^^^^GREAT ADVICE^^^^^^on the driving part.

Z06 thread posted here, guy never drove a GT and bought a Z06. You need all the input you can derive before spending 6 figures IMO.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 01-24-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
GT3rs hands down. Drive the heck out of it on the track, enjoy it around town, get all the looks, enjoy the experience/sound of a NA engine with the best transmission made, and then when you are ready to jump into a different car, you can sell it and not get bent over like you will with the AMG GTR(all AMG's actually). In 53 years, there are about 10 different variations of the 911, in 3-4 years there will be 5 variations of the AMG(GT,GTS,GTR,GTC,GTC cab), not even counting the Black series that we all know will be coming some day, so the exclusiveness will be all but gone shortly, along with the value.
Promise (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Lawwwwwnnnnmoweeeeeerrrr! that's what I'd get!
Old 01-25-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GTS, 2017 S550 Cabriolet, 2015 911Turbo S 2016Q5, 2008 Z06
Originally Posted by 2016AMGGTS
Lawwwwwnnnnmoweeeeeerrrr! that's what I'd get!
I understand. We all are wise to purchase what we can afford.
John Danskin (02-21-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:24 PM

458 spider / 991 turbo s
Originally Posted by GTR3693
If I had to choose, I would choose a GT3 RS. No question. I have a GTR on order, due August, that will join the GT3 in the garage so I look forward to see how they compare...but if I had to choose.

When do you expect your RS because the last ones ares are now trickling out of the factory.

GT3 RS is a long long ways out for me, 18 months at least. On the bright side, merc offered me an allocation for their new hyper car today .. I have a bad feeling its going to be about 2MM, and at that point I wont be interested.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 AM

AMG GTR (sadly now sold)+991.2 GT3 RS+GT3 Touring+991 GTS+997 GT3 RS+996 GT3 RS+964 RS+Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by Promise
GT3 RS is a long long ways out for me, 18 months at least. On the bright side, merc offered me an allocation for their new hyper car today .. I have a bad feeling its going to be about 2MM, and at that point I wont be interested.
Ok, so you must be talking about .2 GT3 RS not a .1 GT3 RS because production of the latter is pretty much over and you cannot have an order for the .2 RS because that car does not exist yet nor is it available to order anywhere in the world.

As for your allocation of the new Hypercar...are you sure????? It is my understanding that any allocation to anybody is fair way off yet and that it will be very, very limited.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 AM

458 spider / 991 turbo s
Ok, so you must be talking about .2 GT3 RS not a .1 GT3 RS because production of the latter is pretty much over and you cannot have an order for the .2 RS because that car does not exist yet nor is it available to order anywhere in the world.

As for your allocation of the new Hypercar...are you sure????? It is my understanding that any allocation to anybody is fair way off yet and that it will be very, very limited.
I should have been more specific with my wording, I have a deposit down for an order, I did say it was 18 months so I figured that would be understood. According to my dealer, I do. I have a friend who is a very big league car collector who has one as well (granted he is not u.s based so maybe it is different), it is my understanding that Mercedes has just started taking deposits on the car, and we have another 2 years until the release.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 AM

I should have been more specific with my wording, I have a deposit down for an order, I did say it was 18 months so I figured that would be understood. According to my dealer, I do. I have a friend who is a very big league car collector who has one as well (granted he is not u.s based so maybe it is different), it is my understanding that Mercedes has just started taking deposits on the car, and we have another 2 years until the release.
Not wanting to be too harsh here but it would appear that you do not have an order for a GT3 RS nor were you offered an allocation for the AMG Hypercar.
BLKROKT (02-18-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 AM

458 spider / 991 turbo s
Not wanting to be too harsh here but it would appear that you do not have an order for a GT3 RS nor were you offered an allocation for the AMG Hypercar.
Its funny, I knew before even viewing your message that you were going to say something like that. Not to be rude, I personally don't care what you think. At the end of the day, ill have a GT3 Rs. I was very specific when I said 18 months for the GT3 Rs as that is what my dealer has told me.

As for the hyper car, I am going to trust the dealer because I have a substantial history with them, and I was told that they were doing me a favor. Could other people have been told the same? I'm sure, but considering my friend who has more hyper cars than I could ever dream of owning also has an allocation, I assume it is real.

So not to be harsh, if you want to get into a measuring contest you've come to the wrong guy, because I come on these forums to share my passion of cars with people and look at builds, not to get into nonsensical debates with imaginary forum police whom feel the need to question the entirety of others peoples lives because they are insecure with their own.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:23 AM

458 spider / 991 turbo s
Thanks for taking the time to write so much. Not really into bragging rights, just want a great track car. I guess at the end of the day it will just come down to preference, everyone seems to be so passionate about both I don't think I can go wrong.

Originally Posted by emericr
Great problem you have
If bragging rights is your thing, the GTR spanks a GT3-RS (already a video of a stock GT-S beating it in the 1/2 mile) in a straight line and in the twisties (7.11 versus 7.27 Nurburgring).
Obviously most guys in the P forum will say the RS. I am impressed that some here also would take the P car.
It is really 2 different cars that excel at what they do. The P car is a scalpel that has been refined for 30 years and the GTR is the fairly new kid on the block.
If you have to only have one, May I suggest a simple test drive of both "base model" (GTS and GT3 since you can't really easily test the RS and the GTR is not out yet) It will paint a clear picture on which one you prefer. Obviously the uber models brings the dial to 11 but the DNA is there for you to understand the way they act and react with your senses.
The flares and the large wing in the back does differentiate the RS but most people will not tell the difference between it and a base 911. Since the GTR only has a GT(S) brother, it is a rare site and people tend to gravitate around more than the P car.
Personally, the GT3-RS is too track oriented and looks that way from both inside and outside. The GT-R is sleeker and more daily driver friendly.
Finally, the GT-R will be easier to bring to higher hp with a simple tune if you are like tinkering with your cars.
You probably now got my point that I would not think twice about getting the GTR.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Back to the issue, there is a lot of doubt an RS .2 will even be built.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Not wanting to start a slanging match but I think its clear where the insecurities are...but nonetheless, you are quite entilted to your opinion.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Its funny, I knew before even viewing your message that you were going to say something like that. Not to be rude, I personally don't care what you think. At the end of the day, ill have a GT3 Rs. I was very specific when I said 18 months for the GT3 Rs as that is what my dealer has told me.

As for the hyper car, I am going to trust the dealer because I have a substantial history with them, and I was told that they were doing me a favor. Could other people have been told the same? I'm sure, but considering my friend who has more hyper cars than I could ever dream of owning also has an allocation, I assume it is real.

So not to be harsh, if you want to get into a measuring contest you've come to the wrong guy, because I come on these forums to share my passion of cars with people and look at builds, not to get into nonsensical debates with imaginary forum police whom feel the need to question the entirety of others peoples lives because they are insecure with their own.

There's a lot of that floats around these sites but you aren't one of the posters.

I have NO experience with Porsche but there are many here that I respect that do. Long lead times for "P" orders are the soup of the day. So just wait and it'll show up. My big concern would be reliability, service and parts delays leading to excessive down time. That coupled with a widespread attitude and indifference by the service people would drive me out of the car in short order.

FWIW: In my experience, as far as orders on the MB GTR and Hyper Car go, you may have noticed that the order banks are opened and closed by the factory at will on the GTR. Dealer allocations are supposed to be 2 per dealer I am told AND NOT ALL DEALERS ARE ELIGIBLE. Of course we still don't know the MSRP or how many will be built but......we will soon.

The Hyper Car doesn't have an official order bank open at this time. So, the dealer is promising something at the dealership level NOT at the factory level. So that's why you don't have a legitimite factory order nor does anybody else...yet. My understanding is that there will be very few made and very few dealers will be allocated one......at this time. I'm betting the MSRP will be in the $300--&500k range. Of course it could go higher.....

I am like you. I enjoy my cars and drive them regularly. Garage and Trailer Queens" are not my thing.

As many here have said, with a few exceptions cars for the most part are depreciating assets. So enjoy them until you see another one you just can't live without and then move on.

Best Regards

Last edited by JSwan724; 01-27-2017 at 10:25 AM.
ljm301 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various AMG Models
re: Hyper Car

I was also offered the opportunity by my dealer. Unless you have received a call from the main offices of MBUSA you do not have a guaranteed unit.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
I really don't think there will be a .2 GT3rs, but, and a big but, if there will be, don't expect that until 2020, so by then the 992's? will be hitting the floor or close. The new .2 GT3 won't actually start hitting the streets until 2018 and the first group of them will be going to the 918 owners for probably a quick flip. So to the public(allocations), the .2 GT3's will be mid to late 2018 at the earliest.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
Originally Posted by RobbieRob
I really don't think there will be a .2 GT3rs, but, and a big but, if there will be, don't expect that until 2020, so by then the 992's? will be hitting the floor or close. The new .2 GT3 won't actually start hitting the streets until 2018 and the first group of them will be going to the 918 owners for probably a quick flip. So to the public(allocations), the .2 GT3's will be mid to late 2018 at the earliest.
Wrong.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Some good news. I have a confirmed build slot in July for a .2 GT3. So first cars will actually be hitting the streets in Europe mid-June 2017. I am told that the .2 GT3 RS is scheduled to go into production in the second half of 2018.

It's going to be a interesting couple of months for me. New .2 GT3 in July. New GTR in August. Taking both to SPA in early September to see how they compare.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by ljm301
re: Hyper Car

I was also offered the opportunity by my dealer. Unless you have received a call from the main offices of MBUSA you do not have a guaranteed unit.
I thought I was special. I got the letter and a call. It's going to be closer to $2.5mm! Probably not going to get one based upon the sage advise on the board as to AMG's depreciating history. I could get two Pagani Huayra for that with AMG motors!

Jimmy

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS or an AMG GTR?