Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track Experience?

A little background. I have a 2016 Corvette Z06 with the z07 (track) package. It is a monster on the track and I absolutely love driving it.

However, my wife HATES HATES HATES riding in it. To the point that I catch an ear full everytime we go somewhere in it. She refuses to drive it. So I am considering either waiting for the GT-R or perhaps buying a used GT-S now. Her business partner has a GT-S that is in fabulous shape, that he is about to sell for a GT-C.

My questions are pretty simple, how has Mercedes been with warranty issues relating to track use? What is the track prep process on the GT-S? And lastly, what are your opinions overall of this car on track. I drove one at exotics racing in vegas yesterday as a kind of test drive and thought it was lots of fun. But perhaps a little soft and tail happy.

The softness is probably a good thing for daily driving, the softer suspension would likely benefit my wife.

Lastly, what do you think a used one is worth now? It stickered for about 147 or so.

Last edited by elcid79; 02-06-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
look at mbusa certified preowned cars and see what they are selling for ,
let him go to the dealer and see what they offer for trade in and offer him a little more
Old 02-07-2017, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
I've had no problem on my tracked AMG's with my dealer and that's bringing it in for service with numbers on it! If you modify them, thats another story and you are on your own. I'm sure there are some with other experiences and I will only comment on my own. On some other models (clk63 bs) AMG told us that's what the car was built for. You won't get that support from Porsche who seem to look for ways to deny warrantee claims if they smell a hint of track use, dispite their seemingly pro racing pedigree.
For track prep you'll want the MPSC2' and there is a big difference if you can land one that came with the Dynamic package and carbon ceramics. Otherwise normal fluids and monitor temps if your running in hot weather.
I chose a GTS becasue I wanted a car I could track and then drive to dinner without a 6 foot wing and a kidney belt.
GTS is easy to drive fast and if you have skills it's all the better. One of the best track and street cars out there and your not giving a lot up either way.

Jimmy
The following users liked this post:
phm37 (03-26-2019)
Old 02-08-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I've had no problem on my tracked AMG's with my dealer and that's bringing it in for service with numbers on it! If you modify them, thats another story and you are on your own. I'm sure there are some with other experiences and I will only comment on my own. On some other models (clk63 bs) AMG told us that's what the car was built for. You won't get that support from Porsche who seem to look for ways to deny warrantee claims if they smell a hint of track use, dispite their seemingly pro racing pedigree.
For track prep you'll want the MPSC2' and there is a big difference if you can land one that came with the Dynamic package and carbon ceramics. Otherwise normal fluids and monitor temps if your running in hot weather.
I chose a GTS becasue I wanted a car I could track and then drive to dinner without a 6 foot wing and a kidney belt.
GTS is easy to drive fast and if you have skills it's all the better. One of the best track and street cars out there and your not giving a lot up either way.

Jimmy
For the most part I agree. That said, its not the track monster a properly prepped Z is. I really like my "S", but for track duty regret selling my fully SCCA T1 prepped '11 Z06. Cars [and life] are/is a compromise. Apart from that, unless you're Jim Mero or Randy Probst its unlikely you'll be exploring the dynamic limits of either car.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Mercedes Benz AMG GT S
One thing to consider is cost and lack of parts if something breaks. Many of the parts are unique. As an example, someone stole my wheels, and my dealer is saying 6 months to get replacements. There are 3 in Germany, but the 4th will have to be fabricated. Unless they can find something in the US. If it's going to be 6 months, I can buy wheels on the aftermarket, but wait, they'll be custom and it will take more than 5 weeks. Stuff breaks on the track.

With a Porsche or a Corvette, they'll be apologetic if you can't get practically any part overnight. You could buy an entire car in "oem" parts on ebay. It's different.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
True. Which is why my track car was a 'Vette.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
My GTS is a really nice car on track. If you want to track it, get one with the dynamic pack which makes for a better track car. I also drove one at Exotics in Vegas before buying mine, and like you found it was lots of fun so I bought one. I have two set of wheels, one with MPSC2's that come free as an option with the dynamic pack, and another set with MPSS for the street. Nothing has broken yet on track or on the road, so no warranty issues of any kind. The GTS does not overheat at all on track, unlike my 2014 Z51 and my buddy's Z06. And like others have said it is a really nice car to drive around town in, and my wife loves it and was happy I sold my Corvette. The GTS is just such a more high-end kind of car. Not taking away anything from the Z06 in terms of track prowess, but GTS just feels much more exclusive. Not sure the new GTR would be really comfortable on the street, and might not make the average wife too happy if the suspension is much stiffer than the GTS with dynamic pack. Of course I would love to try the new GTR and see for myself. I also find the GTS a little tail happy on the track, but just enough to make it entertaining, and I find it really fun to drive and chase my buddys with a Viper T/A and Z06. We have a great time.
The following users liked this post:
emericr (02-12-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Finally has it out this week...

Overall I was impressed with my first big track day. It took me the better part of the morning to get comfortable with the car on the track in terms of monitoring tire pressures and finding the limits. My last car at the track was a tuned e63s awd and it was a monster on the straights and a handful in the corners. The GTS was a monster in the corners and was a surprise on the shorter straights. On the back straight at Mosport I reached 240 km whereas the e63s did 250... I’m pretty sure with more time and familiarity with the limits I’ll match it. As I got more comfortable elsewhere on the track the times dropped and the speeds increased so I have every reason to expect more from this car. I have many years of experience at the big track and I’m looking forward to some other tracks like Tremblant or Calabogie..,