New GTS E1 owner intro and question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GTS, 2017 S550 Cabriolet, 2015 911Turbo S 2016Q5, 2008 Z06
Originally Posted by 06032
Greetings from CT, all.

Recently picked up a 'as new' GTS E1 and smiling. This is my first auto indulgence after what felt like an eternity relegated to minivans and family cars. Long, previous history of BMW M'cars, older MB's and given that my first car was a '69 Olds 442 w/ a 445, turbo 400/12-bolt, this GTS strikes just the right nostalgic combination as a bona fide German muscle car. No offense to my many 911 friends, but it's also nice not to see myself at every stop light.

A couple questions:

1. Since I technically bought the car 'used' (600 miles), it appears to be missing something in the rear of the trunk that is held in place by two velcro straps located on either side of the locking mechanism. Can't find mention of this in the manual. Any idea what I'm missing?

2. Has anyone looked into a custom, extended 'quilted leather/diamond pattern' footwell or trunk liner? I appreciate the stock interior but a little retro pizzaz might be in order beyond floor a trunk mats.
The safety triangle is a European requirement only. Us cars do not come with them. Same with my ED 1 and S550 Cab.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS Edition 1
On a similar note, does anyone have the part # for the battery maintainer and factory cover for the Edition 1?
Old 06-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by larrymz3
On a similar note, does anyone have the part # for the battery maintainer and factory cover for the Edition 1?
Battery maintainer A000 982 29 21
Old 06-11-2017, 01:18 PM

AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by cec69
Battery maintainer A000 982 29 21
Thanks! From what I can find on that, it's the same as the Ctek XS3600... which is NOT a lithium compatible charger.

I thought our batteries were lithium?
Old 06-11-2017, 01:26 PM

There is a new maintainer on ebay for $125. Very good price.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:35 PM

Thanks! From what I can find on that, it's the same as the Ctek XS3600... which is NOT a lithium compatible charger.

I thought our batteries were lithium?
This is the battery charger that came with my ED1 and S550, both lithium batteries. A000 982 29 21. I have been using it for two years.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Exclamation

This is the battery charger that came with my ED1 and S550, both lithium batteries. A000 982 29 21. I have been using it for two years.
Thats the standard MB branded CTEK trickle charger for lead acid batteries.

This is their lithium specific charger, which is the only thing I would want to use.....

Old 06-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by xbox

This is their lithium specific charger, which is the only thing I would want to use.....

That is what came with both cars and what MB recommends. The owners manual for the charger says it is for lead acid and lithium batteries. But what do they know? Use what you wish. It is your car.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol

Xbox - I'm confused....which part number is the lithium-specific charger? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Wink

Originally Posted by 06032
Xbox - I'm confused....which part number is the lithium-specific charger? Thanks.
As far as i know, MB dont offer a specific lithium charger. If you google the part number mentioned, it is even listed as not compatible with AMG GT/S by some vendors.

.... but what do i know ....... i thought the car only had one battery up until recently
Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM

AMG GTS Edition 1
I'm still kind of confused - I've heard conflicting information regarding whether the AMG GTS has ONE or TWO batteries. Some have said the battery under the hood is the "starter" battery... but there is a "consumer" battery somewhere in the trunk... but then I've heard some say that there is only one battery - the lithium under the hood.

Does anyone have a schematic or diagram of the GTS and could check and put this debate to bed?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:00 AM

I'm still kind of confused - I've heard conflicting information regarding whether the AMG GTS has ONE or TWO batteries. Some have said the battery under the hood is the "starter" battery... but there is a "consumer" battery somewhere in the trunk... but then I've heard some say that there is only one battery - the lithium under the hood.

Does anyone have a schematic or diagram of the GTS and could check and put this debate to bed?
OK, previously I identified myself as a 2 year ED1 owner and stated that the car has two batteries. The main battery is under the hood and is lithium. The auxiliary battery is located in the rear compartment in the left side of the hatch. It is a small 12v lead acid. Most larger Mercedes have used two batteries for several years now. When it goes bad you will get a message telling you that the aux. battery needs replacement. Why two batteries?
Mercedes vehicles equipped with a dual battery system have several different modes, depending on the status of the main systems battery. The most common mode links the two batteries together, taking the load off the main systems battery and charging both batteries. The dual battery system also has two shutdown stages as well as an emergency mode that completely switches all functions from the main battery to the auxiliary battery.
During a stage one shutdown, some of the vehicle's electronic components stop working. A stage one shutdown only disables a few of the vehicle's electronic features, such as the rear windshield defroster and heated seats. A stage two shutdown disables internal power outlets and lowers the climate control fan speed. During an emergency mode shutdown, the battery control system switches all functions to the emergency battery, and only essential electronic systems continue operating at full capacity.
The part number of the MB maintenance charger is A0009822921. It maintains both lithium and lead acid batteries. That is why MB includes this charger and not the other one referenced by someone else.

There does that help? As I have said in many previous posts, most of the posters on this forum do not own a GTS. They just like to pretend and be an argumentative pain in the ***.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 AM

AMG GTS Edition 1
OK, previously I identified myself as a 2 year ED1 owner and stated that the car has two batteries. The main battery is under the hood and is lithium. The auxiliary battery is located in the rear compartment in the left side of the hatch. It is a small 12v lead acid. Most larger Mercedes have used two batteries for several years now. When it goes bad you will get a message telling you that the aux. battery needs replacement. Why two batteries?
Mercedes vehicles equipped with a dual battery system have several different modes, depending on the status of the main systems battery. The most common mode links the two batteries together, taking the load off the main systems battery and charging both batteries. The dual battery system also has two shutdown stages as well as an emergency mode that completely switches all functions from the main battery to the auxiliary battery.
During a stage one shutdown, some of the vehicle's electronic components stop working. A stage one shutdown only disables a few of the vehicle's electronic features, such as the rear windshield defroster and heated seats. A stage two shutdown disables internal power outlets and lowers the climate control fan speed. During an emergency mode shutdown, the battery control system switches all functions to the emergency battery, and only essential electronic systems continue operating at full capacity.
The part number of the MB maintenance charger is A0009822921. It maintains both lithium and lead acid batteries. That is why MB includes this charger and not the other one referenced by someone else.

There does that help? As I have said in many previous posts, most of the posters on this forum do not own a GTS. They just like to pretend and be an argumentative pain in the ***.
Awesome, thank you for the info. So, I will return the Ctek lithium only charger I got and order the genuine MB one. Did you hard wire to the front battery, or just use the cigarette lighter in the trunk? Will the MB charger do both batteries? I don't really understand how it could "see" the front lithium battery if there is some type of isolator in place for switching?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Awesome, thank you for the info. So, I will return the Ctek lithium only charger I got and order the genuine MB one. Did you hard wire to the front battery, or just use the cigarette lighter in the trunk? Will the MB charger do both batteries? I don't really understand how it could "see" the front lithium battery if there is some type of isolator in place for switching?
You do use the 12V "cigarette lighter" in the trunk for trickle charge. I don't know the answer about circuitry and which (or both) batteries get charged and how. Mercedes has some really smart people designing electrical circuits. Although I respect a healthy curiosity, these fine details are things I don't worry about.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:54 PM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Wink

I certainly hope you're not referring to me just because I have a GT

Joking aside, CTEK don't offer a multi charger - they're either lithium, or lead acid - further, they say not to use their lead acid chargers on lithium batteries.

The MB branded item is not even their more advanced 8-stage product - its just the basic basic 4-stage. Maybe it just charges the lead acid auxiliary battery, while the car takes care of the (typically maintenance free) lithium.

Anyhow, the lithium definitely provides massive cranking current - I just love how the v8 bursts into life, compared to some of the more lethargic units I've come across.

Last edited by xbox; 06-12-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:17 PM

AMG GTS Edition 1
I certainly hope you're not referring to me just because I have a GT

Joking aside, CTEK don't offer a multi charger - they're either lithium, or lead acid - further, they say not to use their lead acid chargers on lithium batteries.

The MB branded item is not even their more advanced 8-stage product - its just the basic basic 4-stage. Maybe it just charges the lead acid auxiliary battery, while the car takes care of the (typically maintenance free) lithium.

Anyhow, the lithium definitely provides massive cranking current - I just love how the v8 bursts into life, compared to some of the more lethargic units I've come across.
Yes, that was exactly my point. I don't understand how the MB charger can do both lithium and agm when the Ctek can't.

I wonder if one should have a lithium only charger for the front starter battery... and the MB one for for the rear?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:44 PM

AMG GTS Edition 1

So I just did a bit more digging. I could find no aux. battery on the left side of the hatch - only the "spare tire" continental air compressor thingy and the first aid kit.

I've run multiple searches on multiple battery manufacturers websites (Exide, Johnson Controls, etc.)

- and all only show one battery. Interesting they all point to H5 or H6 replacements... Neither of which I could imagine fitting on the left side of the hatch.

So... I'm even more confused than ever. Do you happen to have a photo of the battery in your car?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:39 PM

So I just did a bit more digging. I could find no aux. battery on the left side of the hatch - only the "spare tire" continental air compressor thingy and the first aid kit.

I've run multiple searches on multiple battery manufacturers websites (Exide, Johnson Controls, etc.)

- and all only show one battery. Interesting they all point to H5 or H6 replacements... Neither of which I could imagine fitting on the left side of the hatch.

So... I'm even more confused than ever. Do you happen to have a photo of the battery in your car?
Best I can do.
New GTS E1 owner intro and question-gts-aux.jpeg
Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 AM

Received 141 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S | 2016 Ferrari F12
I also do not have a battery where you do. I have done some quick digging through the WIS service manual and can't find it in the electrical schematics, I suspect it may have something to do with the Dynamic package since I don't have that or maybe the High end burmester since I do have that. Not sure, I will continue to dig for info in the manual. Those are some pretty thick B+ red cables going to the module above the battery, does that module have any numbers or description on it? If it is in your car then it is buried in the manual somewhere... Also, if I can't find anything about it, I will be at the AMG factory next Thursday and will get a straight answer from the source!
Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
I've never had a car that was so dependant on cooling fans after switch-off, which must place a massive strain on the battery

After a blast, they run for 10mins easy

But like I said, with the high lithium cranking amps, start up is simply glorious.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I love to hear those cooling fans on when I shut it off in the garage. It's proof that I have been treating her right!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:28 PM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by California John
I love to hear those cooling fans on when I shut it off in the garage. It's proof that I have been treating her right!
Its now the good ladies favourite place to hang wet washing ........
Old 06-15-2017, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alexfor8
I also do not have a battery where you do. I have done some quick digging through the WIS service manual and can't find it in the electrical schematics, I suspect it may have something to do with the Dynamic package since I don't have that or maybe the High end burmester since I do have that. Not sure, I will continue to dig for info in the manual. Those are some pretty thick B+ red cables going to the module above the battery, does that module have any numbers or description on it? If it is in your car then it is buried in the manual somewhere... Also, if I can't find anything about it, I will be at the AMG factory next Thursday and will get a straight answer from the source!
More info straight from MB USA. "Some" of the very early ED1 models (like mine) have a aux. battery that was for the transmission. This was replaced by a capacitor. My 2017 S550 still has an aux battery for the transmission. In any case I would say you only have one battery. Sorry tpo send you on a wild goose chase.

Subject
Do my 2017 S550 Cabriolet and 2016 AMG GTS have auxiliary batteries in addition...

Response By Email (Ashley L.) (06/15/2017 05:01 PM)
Dear Dr. Couser,

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

The 2017 S550 Cabriolet has a main battery and a auxiliary battery for the transmission.

The 2016 later build AMG GT S's only have one battery. Very few early built GTS models had an auxiliary battery for the transmission, later replaced by a capacitor.

The opportunity to respond is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ashley L.
Mercedes-Benz USA
Old 06-15-2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alexfor8
More info straight from MB USA. "Some" of the very early ED1 models (like mine) have a aux. battery that was for the transmission. This was replaced by a capacitor. My 2017 S550 still has an aux battery for the transmission. In any case I would say you only have one battery. Sorry tpo send you on a wild goose chase.

Subject
Do my 2017 S550 Cabriolet and 2016 AMG GTS have auxiliary batteries in addition...

Response By Email (Ashley L.) (06/15/2017 05:01 PM)
Dear Dr. Couser,

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

The 2017 S550 Cabriolet has a main battery and a auxiliary battery for the transmission.

The 2016 later build AMG GT S's only have one battery. Very few early built GTS models had an auxiliary battery for the transmission, later replaced by a capacitor.

The opportunity to respond is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ashley L.
Mercedes-Benz USA
Old 06-16-2017, 01:11 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
So, probably all US ED-1's have the aux battery and can charge from the regular trickle charger, while later cars, all GT's for example, should use a specific lithium charger.

Last edited by xbox; 06-16-2017 at 02:30 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New GTS E1 owner intro and question