Sponsored by:

Be aware Mercedes Benz of Foothill Ranch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1989 560SEL AMG 6.0
Be aware Mercedes Benz of Foothill Ranch

I been waiting on My AMG GTR VIN: WDDYJ7KA6JA013268 for than a year finally my salesperson call me told me my AMG GTR is coming soon to the dealership but the general manager "Paul Ramplin" wants me to pay over MSRP " dealership mark up" $30000.... I bought a few cars from this dealership in the pass never had to pay over MSRP...ever since the new GM "Paul Ramplin" got on board now i have to pay over MSRP .... it hurts my feelings and feel like Mercedes-Benz of Foothill Ranch does not care about customer service... they don't honor and promise any business transaction...Please be aware!!!
I do not recommend anyone to buy cars from Mercedes-Benz of Foothill Ranch!!!
if this happened to me it will happen to you!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Didn’t you sign an agreement when you put down the deposit? It should tell you price , which for a special order is generally MSRP.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Originally Posted by Will Yang
I been waiting on My AMG GTR VIN: WDDYJ7KA6JA013268 for than a year finally my salesperson call me told me my AMG GTR is coming soon to the dealership but the general manager "Paul Ramplin" wants me to pay over MSRP " dealership mark up" $30000.... I bought a few cars from this dealership in the pass never had to pay over MSRP...ever since the new GM "Paul Ramplin" got on board now i have to pay over MSRP .... it hurts my feelings and feel like Mercedes-Benz of Foothill Ranch does not care about customer service... they don't honor and promise any business transaction...Please be aware!!!
I do not recommend anyone to buy cars from Mercedes-Benz of Foothill Ranch!!!
if this happened to me it will happen to you!!!
the guys getting greedy and that will cost him in the end. If he sells this for anything over MSRP try and find out who bought so I can sell him some nice land I own lol.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Originally Posted by thecutter64
Didn’t you sign an agreement when you put down the deposit? It should tell you price , which for a special order is generally MSRP.
I have a deposit with two dealers. Neither one will put the final price in writing. But to verbally tell someone what the price is and then when you get in there to pay and they pull a bait-and-switch and bump the price by $30,000... that's borderline illegal. I guess if it were in writing first it actually would be. If that happened to me, I'd want to slash the tires of the car and walk out.

When I ask for it in writing, both dealers backpedal and make excuses.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-11-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
illegal or not, you should report that dealer to MBUSA
Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Sorry to hear that, stuff like that gives us all a bad name
Old 10-11-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I went on the website and asked them for their Internet price. A salesman wrote me and wanted $50K, which means all you got was the right of first refusal. I told him to stuff it.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
2 dealers in the LA area wanted $30000 to 50000 mark-ups over MSRP on regular 2018 GTS and GT roadsters. Ridiculous.

Unfortunately, this is also common practice with new 991.2 GT3s. Someone is always willing to pay the dealer mark-up to jump in line and get the car now.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Wether the OP signed something or had a deposit on it shouldn't matter. If that VIN was assigned to him during the build-process in the Netstar system, that car can't be sold to him above MSRP. This car was built for him and not for stock.I am fairly sure that he would have a strong case with MBUSA unless he refused to take the car. If he refused, that car can be sold for whatever price the dealer can get.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Wether the OP signed something or had a deposit on it shouldn't matter. If that VIN was assigned to him during the build-process in the Netstar system, that car can't be sold to him above MSRP. This car was built for him and not for stock.I am fairly sure that he would have a strong case with MBUSA unless he refused to take the car. If he refused, that car can be sold for whatever price the dealer can get.
Valid point wolf.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:04 PM

GT3
Really? So I have a car on order right now. Dealer wants a bit over MSRP, but not much. Certainly nothing close to $20K+. So if/when I get a VIN assigned, the dealer can't actually ask for anything over sticker? Where does it say, in writing, that a dealer can't charge over MSRP for a build slot/allocation?

I've called many dealerships asking about a custom order build/allocation for a GTR and they all say sure, but $30,000 over sticker.

EDIT: Wait wait wait... so if I have a car on order—supposedly with my name on it—but the dealer is asking over MSRP, is it possible they actually have the car under someone else's name? Like the manager or the salesman, himself? That way they can get away with it? The dealer has not given me anything in writing and constantly deflects when I ask for an order number or VIN or anything. The last info I got from the dealer was:

"Just confirmed with the GM, you have a slot. Car is ordered. Will be here in about 3 months. January-ish. Will keep you posted."

I've asked for some sort of confirmation number or an order sheet showing all the specs and price and all that. But nothing.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-11-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 PM

GT3
Found this:

"In California, the law bars dealers from selling new cars above MSRP unless they provide a supplementary window sticker that conspicuously displays certain information, including the MSRP, a statement that the selling price is not the MSRP, and a list of any items not included in the manufacturer’s price."
Old 10-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Really? So I have a car on order right now. Dealer wants a bit over MSRP, but not much. Certainly nothing close to $20K+. So if/when I get a VIN assigned, the dealer can't actually ask for anything over sticker? Where does it say, in writing, that a dealer can't charge over MSRP for a build slot/allocation?

I've called many dealerships asking about a custom order build/allocation for a GTR and they all say sure, but $30,000 over sticker.
I wasn't not talking about allocations or getting a build slot on a car today or one that is in stock. Dealers can ask for what they want at this point.
In the OP's case, the VIN was assigned long before the sticker price was established. All orders that are pre-MSRP are considered list price orders in regards to MBUSA. If I recall there is an agreement that dealers have in that regard with MBUSA, not with the customer.
Otherwise dealers would be free to yank every custom-ordered GTR that was at the VPC from their customers and simply sell to others at the highest price.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:08 PM

GT3
I wasn't not talking about allocations or getting a build slot on a car today or one that is in stock. Dealers can ask for what they want at this point.
In the OP's case, the VIN was assigned long before the sticker price was established. All orders that are pre-MSRP are considered list price orders in regards to MBUSA. If I recall there is an agreement that dealers have in that regard with MBUSA, not with the customer.
Otherwise dealers would be free to yank every custom-ordered GTR that was at the VPC from their customers and simply sell to others at the highest price.
Ah, understood. So you're referring to orders people put in before the MSRP was announced?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 PM

2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I just left my 2014 BMWi8 for a 2018 GT but the story of my i8 acquisition in late 2014 may be of interest here.

I ordered the i8 at the BMW dealer from whom I had purchased 6 previous new BMWs in the prior 7 years. I put in the order in June 2014 although I had been talking to the sales manager about it for a year and he told me to wait until BMW was taking orders. Because I had done a lot of business with the dealer, I didn't have anything in writing nor did I give them a deposit.

In July the sales manager called and asked me to specify the color, trim and wheels (at that time the only options). I built the car and he put that into the order. I offered to give him a deposit. He said that would not be necessary. I confirmed that the car would be sold to me at MSRP. He agreed.

In late August or early September the sales manager called and said that my trim level car (BMW calls them "worlds" on the i8) wasn't coming out for several months (a lie) and that BMW North America wanted my car sold either to Steven Spielberg or a "Kennedy who is mayor of Santa Monica" (not quite). I knew Steven and knew he drove an X5 BMW and his wife had some kind of a hybrid so I called him to ask if he was getting my i8. He said no -- he was moving to Maryland for a couple of years to produce some project and that he had no interest in the car. So that was a lie, too.

A friend of mine, who I had met running a BMW fan board, was a director of special projects at BMW NA in New Jersey, so I called him, too. I gave him the VIN and he looked it up and said the car was in my name, had always been in my name, and that BMW NA didn't ask that it be sold to "a Kennedy who is mayor of Santa Monica," or anybody else, nor could they. As far as BMW NA was concerned, it was my car.

I decided to call the dealer to confront the sales manager with his pile of lies. First, though, I called my service advisor who saw me a lot since I then had 3 BMWs, and I raised a big stink with him, in a friendly way. He called me back later that day to tell me that the sales manager had been fired (he was a family member of a family owned dealership) and that his cousin, the general manager would be talking to me. I was put through to her and she apologized profusely. She told me I was a good customer of the dealer (I had bought my first BMW there 25 years earlier) and that even though the i8s were going to be marked up from $50 to $100K, mine had been earmarked to me for MSRP. Just don't tell anybody.

The car arrived in Port Hueneme and was PVC'd at the end of October 2014. Then it got held up for a replacement part. It was finally delivered to me mid November 2014.

Moral of the story: raise a big stink at MB USA and at the dealership. Preferably there with the GM or the owner. Either that or buy a lot of other cars from that dealer first.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

EDIT: Wait wait wait... so if I have a car on order—supposedly with my name on it—but the dealer is asking over MSRP, is it possible they actually have the car under someone else's name? Like the manager or the salesman, himself? That way they can get away with it? The dealer has not given me anything in writing and constantly deflects when I ask for an order number or VIN or anything. The last info I got from the dealer was:

"Just confirmed with the GM, you have a slot. Car is ordered. Will be here in about 3 months. January-ish. Will keep you posted."

I've asked for some sort of confirmation number or an order sheet showing all the specs and price and all that. But nothing.
If the car is ordered for you, your name is on the PO in Netstar. Ask them to print out a copy. Page 1 should show vehicle and status info, page 2 should show dealer, rep and customer info.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, understood. So you're referring to orders people put in before the MSRP was announced?
Right. The OP said he ordered the car a year ago (which seems a bit too long ago for a GTR) but dealers can now ask for more. I know this greatly varies by region but all dealers here strictly do not sell above MSRP.

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-11-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 AM

GT3
If the car is ordered for you, your name is on the PO in Netstar. Ask them to print out a copy. Page 1 should show vehicle and status info, page 2 should show dealer, rep and customer info.
I will call tomorrow and ask. We shall see. My prediction is more deflection.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various AMG Models
It sucks to hear this but I would demand my deposit returned and walk away. I wish I did exactly that with my Edition 1...
Old 10-12-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTR, G63, Mclaren 675 LT S, 991 GT3 RS, 991 GT3, many more

Found this:

"In California, the law bars dealers from selling new cars above MSRP unless they provide a supplementary window sticker that conspicuously displays certain information, including the MSRP, a statement that the selling price is not the MSRP, and a list of any items not included in the manufacturer’s price."
They should have that information for you, just have them show you on their screen. They easily add supplemental stickers all the time.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 AM

The supplemental sticker is on their website and, presumably, on the car.

After I passed on the car after the sales emailed me, he emailed me back and said "market conditions" commanded a $30 to $50K markup and would I be interested in being informed if the mark up decreased from $50K. I wrote back that I was not interested. So it sounds like the dealer is auctioning your vehicle.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM

1989 560SEL AMG 6.0
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
The supplemental sticker is on their website and, presumably, on the car.

After I passed on the car after the sales emailed me, he emailed me back and said "market conditions" commanded a $30 to $50K markup and would I be interested in being informed if the mark up decreased from $50K. I wrote back that I was not interested. So it sounds like the dealer is auctioning your vehicle.
after reading and watch youtube .... i won't even wanna anymore.....
http://www.motortrend.com/news/merce...t-drivers-car/
Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
yeah, the Cayman must be the better Car according to Motor Trend......or that Camaro
Old 10-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

This makes zero sense. This turned out to be a much more competent car than anyone knew last year when it was introduced (or when you ordered it)...
Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 PM

1989 560SEL AMG 6.0
That's my wife name on p

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Be aware Mercedes Benz of Foothill Ranch