Sponsored by:

Converting to Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 179 Likes on 96 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Question Converting to Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Waiting for my AMG GTS which unfortunately did not come with Carbon Ceramic Brakes.

Is it possible to re-trofit Carbon Brakes?

What are the challenges and costs in attempting this?

Thanks,
Old 04-28-2015, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
As I just posted in another thread on this topic

It is very realistic and quite simple. I retrofitted CCB's from an E63S to my C63 Black Series. There is a thread on the AMG Private Lounge with all the part numbers that you will need for the conversion. Retail cost on the parts is about $15k but your dealership should be able to offer them to you at cost(closer to $10K) or close to it. My dealership gives them to me at cost and several other guys on the PL say their dealers are working with them on the costs as well.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...arts-list.html
Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 PM

Red face Thank You G55AMG

Thank you for sharing all the work you have already done on this.

$ 19 K + Labor - hmmm that is what one would call " a good night out ----for two!".

I very much doubt that this is worth it - I do not intent tracking the car - the real big advantage of course is ---- no brake dust!

It really is a shame that unlike the rest of the world the USA did not get the option to order Edition 1 with CCB's. In the rest of the world Edition I is a "package option" while in the USA it is a distinct version of a car.

However, I really love the carbon roof and I am quite fond of the rear spoiler.

Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tifoso48
Thank you for sharing all the work you have already done on this.

$ 19 K + Labor - hmmm that is what one would call " a good night out ----for two!".

I very much doubt that this is worth it - I do not intent tracking the car - the real big advantage of course is ---- no brake dust!

It really is a shame that unlike the rest of the world the USA did not get the option to order Edition 1 with CCB's. In the rest of the world Edition I is a "package option" while in the USA it is a distinct version of a car.

However, I really love the carbon roof and I am quite fond of the rear spoiler.

Thanks again.
Find a dealer that will sell you the parts at cost or close to cost. There are several guys on PL besides me whose dealers are selling them the pars at a deep discount. It is a $10K factory option so if you get the parts for even 12K plus another $1500 for install you are only paying $3500 over the factory install price. In the grand scheme of things what's another $3-$4k? it would be well worth it in my opinion but I guess it's your money.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:56 AM

From the horses's mouth

I just got off the phone with the Service Director of a major, highly qualified MB dealership to whom I had posed the question. He did excellent research including speaking to the folks at the "mothership".

G55AMG' numbers and research are 100% right on the money, and those are all the parts which are needed and indeed $ 19,000 would be the cost of the parts only ( before any discount or consideration).

The real issue is to connect the hydraulic unit to the rest of the car infrastructure. This car has a unique SCN code that would need to be programmed into the hydraulic unit and MB has advised that this can't or won't be able to be done.

Maybe this is a unique issue to the AMG GT and yes, we can speculate if their reasons are based on liability, warranty or any other considerations,.

I would have liked a different response, but it is what it is and so it is time to move on- time to enjoy the car and there is so much to look forward to.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:43 AM

2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Tifoso48
I just got off the phone with the Service Director of a major, highly qualified MB dealership to whom I had posed the question. He did excellent research including speaking to the folks at the "mothership".

G55AMG' numbers and research are 100% right on the money, and those are all the parts which are needed and indeed $ 19,000 would be the cost of the parts only ( before any discount or consideration).

The real issue is to connect the hydraulic unit to the rest of the car infrastructure. This car has a unique SCN code that would need to be programmed into the hydraulic unit and MB has advised that this can't or won't be able to be done.

Maybe this is a unique issue to the AMG GT and yes, we can speculate if their reasons are based on liability, warranty or any other considerations,.

I would have liked a different response, but it is what it is and so it is time to move on- time to enjoy the car and there is so much to look forward to.
I think it can be done, But there is always aftermarket options like Movit, I used them for my C63 BS, and there Ceramic brakes are awesome.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Weistec can do the install and the electronics side of it as well. THey have done many CCB conversions on C63 BS's as well as SLS's. They are more than qualified to do the work. We have been trying to get MBUSA to step up and do the electronics side of it for us since they did not offer us CCB's on our Edition 1's. If we stay persistent they may give in to our demands. They have done so in the past on other issues like the ECU/TCU upgrades on SLS to SLS GT software a couple years ago. They also heard cry's from the people and developed and cooling system upgrade for C63's. I thin we will be able to get them to at least cover the electronics side of things on a CCB conversion.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:43 PM

2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
I agree with Jim, if we put more pressure on MBUSA, we can get them to turn around.
MB dose this retrofit in other countries, they can do it for us here.
JV
Old 05-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
G Wagon
MB does not do this retrofit in other countries!
Old 05-02-2015, 02:31 PM

2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by mercteil
MB does not do this retrofit in other countries!
I do not know this first hand, but I was told by someone in AMG that they do facilitate this in other countries.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
I could not get a few dealers in the NY area (including the factory store, Mercedes of Manhattan) even want to order them for me much less do the install on a S63. They each had different variations of not wanting to take on the risk for the install.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Originally Posted by spyder987
I believe the brakes are made by Brembo and just the other day I asked Brembo somewhat related questions:
1) if they make a conversion kit to swap out ceramics for steel,
2) replacement steel rotors for the stock steel, and
3) replacement rotors for the stock ceramics.
They said they make no replacement parts at this time for the AMG GTS. I wanted to order the ceramics and then swap them out for steel and was disappointed that it wasn't an option at this time at least from Brembo.
Our answer is Yes to all above three questions.

Check RacingBrake out for our complete Carbon Ceramic Brake coverage:
http://www.racingbrake.com/Carbon-Ce...kes-s/7196.htm

CCB for Mercedes (Stock replacement or the complete brake kit):
http://www.racingbrake.com/C63-AMG-C...AMG-s/7219.htm

GT-S has 390x36 front and 360x26 rear rotors which we offer light weight two piece rotor replacement for the following models:
CL/S/SL55/63/65
C63 BS
ML63
Please refer to the following for our recent development of CCM brake kit for Lexus:

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1453

RB is highly specialized in CCM brakes:

Iron to CCM - Nissan GT-R, CamaroSS
CCM to Iron - Aston Matrin, Ferrari, Porsche
OE CCM replacement - Ferrari, Porsche pccb

Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 05-15-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Originally Posted by jrcart
Vic, Edition 1 is cool becuase you get a few options not available on non-Edition 1 cars for another year or two, the fixed wing, front end aero package and real cf roof.

Drawbacks to the Edition 1 in my personal opinion is no carbon ceramic brakes and no cf interior. The Edition 1 comes with beautiful piano black interior accents but they finger print up like a ****.

I opted for the Edition 1 becuase I like the color and a carbon ceramic brake retrofit is fairly simple, a lot easier than a cf roof lol.

The car is awesome. I still can not believe how hard it pulls from 60-150mph. You know I own some powerful AMG's so for thismone to impress me in stock for says a lot.

If I had not gone with the Edition 1 I would have gone with the brilliant blue, it is gorgeous in person.

That mars red one for $162 must have more on it than just ccb's. CCB's are only like a $10k option from the factory. It must have the night package and cf package and a few other little things to get up to that price.
This part list adds up to $20,377 before installation:

Also note the last two items "Wheel Carriers (L/R)" indicates the hubs should also be replaced - which will deviate to original and more labor cost involved.

Now let's take a look on OE set up:
Front wheel: 9.0x19"
Front brake: 390x36mm

Rear wheel: 11.0x20"
Rear brake: 360x26"

Would it be better to have a rear CCM rotor kit with larger rotor like 380 or 390mm to better fill out the wheels. The rear calipers don't seem to have a compatible look as the front either.

Racingbrake is highly specialized in CCM brake kit development for replacement, retrofit, or upgrade with "BOLT-ON" installation, and our kits use the popular and affordable Corvette ZR1 discs (same as CCB) made by Brembo or by Surface Transforms from UK for heavy tracking & racing applications.

We design the rotor hats and hardware to assure precise fitment and most efficient overall braking performance - Street or Track.

The difference between RB kit vs. OE CCB conversion is RB kits are designed to fit GTS's hub/spindle for an easy swap (complete kit), by doing so you also can have your stock brake as spare/back up set, but not if you are converting from other CCB set up.

Please click the following link for our complete CCM brake offer:
Old 05-19-2015, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
MB's CCM rotor sizes:

Front: 402x36mm
Rear: 360x26mm

We can offer two complete CCB packages (Including calipers, pads and brake lines) for GT-S:

Package#1 (Sales price ~$16K)

Same rotor size as Corvette ZR1
Front: 394x36mm
Rear: 380x34mm

Package#2 (Sales price ~18K)

Same rotor size as Porsche 991 GT3 pccb
Front: 410x36mm
Rear: 390x32mm
We are taking orders now with pre-order discounts, anyone interested please PM us for details and lead-time.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 AMG
Hi Guys,

We build Silicon Carbide Ceramic Rotor Upgrades for the A45 AMG with matching pads. We can supply Kits for the AMG GT and GTs models if needs be.

Rotor Only Upgrades Start at $4000 per Axel but give us a shout for specific pricing.

We can supply Foged Lightweight Calipers too to further reduce unsprung mass by around 14lbs on the front.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Racing brake has the best value for doing a direct swap over
Old 05-22-2015, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
Racing brake has the best value for doing a direct swap over
Thank you for the endorsement. RB has been serving MB community for more than 10 years since we offered our world's first light weight two piece rotors for C32.

Our brake upgrade converage for MB just kept expanding, and RacingBrake (RB) has become the No. 1 choice for Mercedes owners when it comes to brake replacement / upgrade.

CCM Brakes

Iron Brakes
https://www.racingbrake.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=7112

We look forward to developing CCM brake upgrade for GT-R along with other CCM we offer for MB.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
We are looking for a GT-S owner lives in Orange County so we can check the spindle measurement for making the CCM brake kits.

Please PM or email us

Once we confirm the spindle measurement, the kits can be made available within 4-6 weeks.

We will design the rotors by using Corvette ZR1 CCM discs:

Front 394x36 (Retain OE calipers but with a light weight caliper adaptor designed and made by RB)

OE Steel Bracket (GT-S has same rotor (390x36) and caliper as C63 BS)

RB Bracket:

Rear 380x34
Replacing OE's floating type small calipers to MB's rear fixed piston calipers with adapter (designed and made by RB) for larger rotor.

OE brake set up (front and rear) image:

The kit will also include car set of stainless steel brake lines, so once install it will be a highly compatible brake set up in size and power as GT-R.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Doing a direct CCM brake rotors swap is the much more logical route and should cost less than $10k compared to the $19k upgrade of the OEM version which requires a whole lot more unnecessary hardware.

Go with the RacingBrake CCM rotors. You definitely will not be disappointed.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Orders are being taken with pre-order incentive discount (good until when the order is shipping).

Check the latest development status.

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...akes-gt-s.html
Old 08-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Anyone from this thread?

PM me for the special introductory price that's guaranteed to be the lowest in the market yet the best quality CCM rotors, more durable than OE's CCB.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Buy CCM rotors from the most trusted source specialized in building CCM brake systems for most serious track applications (Nissan GT-R, Ferrari F458, Porsche 991 GT3, Aston Martin DBS etc.).

Do not settle in retrofitting to other models' CCB set up, which not will change your original OE set up, but facing with unforeseeable trouble/involvement and uncontrollable cost - Read what this member was experienced in convertiing his C63 to E63 CCM.

Converting to Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Our CCM rotors are a direct swap to OE rotors, retain the use of OE calipers and pads which not only get you a spare set of rotors (in addition, to your stock iron rotors) but can also reduce your replacement and maintenance cost.

Make a lot of sense which can be more appreciated once you install and run them on street or tracks.