Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is AMG GT comparison with Porsche a good idea?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 179 Likes on 96 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Question Is AMG GT comparison with Porsche a good idea?

AMG has made Porsche the target as made obvious in their PR and even Video advertising.

On the German forum there is quite a healthy debate if this really was a good idea., with about 50/50 on either side of the equation.

This is based on a number of comparison tests done around the globe.
The ones against Porsche Turbo and Turbo S not surprisingly did not have a happy ending.

Depending on who's test you believe the ones comparing against Porsche GT were a toss up overall, however, the AMG was ahead in terms of acceleration.This would make me think that a test against a GT 3 which has a MSRP very close to the GTS would be anything but a sure bet.

Everyone is very complimentary of the AMG GT but I have not heard any ringing endorsement of the AMG over the Porsche.

I am not a marketing guy, but I am starting to wonder if this singular focus on Porsche is helpful? Or would it have been better to let this great car stand on its own as an exceptional sports car of substance, style and great performance?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Tifo -

First off, I think the comparison is completely appropriate. Clearly MB is trying to attack the P-car dominated market segment. Most every DE event in the northern CA area is dominated by 911 somethings. Not a bad thing but I am just saying. I love the idea of a front mid-engine rear wheel drive car as a competitor. I would reference a guess that most every potential GTS buyer has already looked at Porsche. As a Porsche owner I continue to re-visit the purchase of yet another Porsche. I am remaining completely optimistic that the GTS will in fact be a worthy competitor. I almost feel compelled to track the heck out of a GTS just to prove the naysayers wrong.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:11 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
If a shareholder in DAI or VOW, would look at sales (and more importantly) profits of any car (not useless, pseudo-precise car mag tests not really known to most affluent custs)....profits are largely determined by affluent custs who can't drive but buy lots of >$150K cars/purses every yr in places like BevHills, SF/Woodside, Manhattan

~60% of P sales today are SUVs....incredibly profitable POS bought by those who can't drive and don't understand basic active safety (incldg fact any stuff in cargo area becomes an intra-car missle in any severe decel...same concept as in a hatch like a GTS or F12)....but amazingly lucrative POS to sell if any mfr

What one who enjoys driving and understands risk/reward tradeoffs chooses to drive daily and/or as a wkend mtn twisties car is often a difft choice than any alleged track car....given tracks have own set of unique risks (and pleasures/hassles/inconveniences) vs fairly empty nearby challenging public rds on wkend AM w/grt weather....many track cars struggle in mtn twisties driving to offer enjoyable balance of precision/stability vs often much heavier missles like 65s

Am always amused by how few >$150K perf cars are ever seen in early wkend AM in mtns of Malibu or Woodside....suspect reveals much abt priorities vs scarce and rather valuable time of major repeat buyers in regions like LA or SF, so wasting time traveling to a prescheduled track event in Podunk is fairly absurd/abstract fantasy of car marketers who have no money of own, but lots of time to kill....
Old 05-22-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GTS, 2017 S550 Cabriolet, 2015 911Turbo S 2016Q5, 2008 Z06
I compared my 2013 911S with the GTS and went home with the GTS.