Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuned my AMG GTS with Weistec! Excellent Gains!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
GTS AMG
Originally Posted by BWAMGSF
I had the tune installed as well and after driving in 100 degree heat and hard driving conditions the turbos stopped spooling. There might be an issue with the tune. Once I stopped the car and let cool off for a little it was back to normal. Has anyone else with the Weistec tune experienced this issue?

Just curious if you've had any more issues with your tune? How's your car performing?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by BWAMGSF
I had the tune installed as well and after driving in 100 degree heat and hard driving conditions the turbos stopped spooling. There might be an issue with the tune. Once I stopped the car and let cool off for a little it was back to normal. Has anyone else with the Weistec tune experienced this issue?
No issues with mine and I have been running the tune for nearly two months and racked up over 1000 miles on the tune. I have tracked the car in 90 degree temps with no issues. This past weekend temps were in the upper 90's here in Chicago and had no issues. I ran the car hard yesterday in the Ultimate Road Rally racking up a couple hundred hard miles in everything from bumper to bumper city traffic to a few top speed pulls out on the interstate with no issues whatsoever.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:31 PM

GTS AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
No issues with mine and I have been running the tune for nearly two months and racked up over 1000 miles on the tune. I have tracked the car in 90 degree temps with no issues. This past weekend temps were in the upper 90's here in Chicago and had no issues. I ran the car hard yesterday in the Ultimate Road Rally racking up a couple hundred hard miles in everything from bumper to bumper city traffic to a few top speed pulls out on the interstate with no issues whatsoever.

Cool, thanks for the update. I was considering a Eurocharged tune, they are located in Houston, TX. It's closer to where I live.

Thanks again,
Old 07-22-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT-S
No more issues. My car was one of three delivered in the country back in early April and it never received the updates that MB sent to all of the rest of the cars before they left port. The car with the Weistec mid pipes, down pipes and ECU tune is an absolute beast. Looking forward to the upgraded turbos.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTS
Let's say hypothetically that someone wanted to have Weistec tune their car and keep their factory warranty in place. What would be the best way someone would do that?
Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63
Vic why do you have to have the most outrages collection... love it
Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by boilerup1998
Let's say hypothetically that someone wanted to have Weistec tune their car and keep their factory warranty in place. What would be the best way someone would do that?

Technically there is no way or process to ensure that. Its just part of the "pay to play" process. The concern, I can see for most, is if the tune causes damage to the engine and will MB cover it. That's the pay to play part if one doesn't have a strong service advisor who is willing to overlook the tune and just submit the warranty paperwork. Dealers are becoming more and more mod friendly, to a limit. I trust my tuners as they have done excellent research into not pushing the limits but instead raising the bar of the oem ecu tune. This M178 engine has a lot left in it that MB didn't want to tap into and clearly Weistec has found the gains but yet has not pushed it to a place where the tune would compromise the internals. But like I said you have to be ready to pay to play. I love the tune, it clearly transforms the car into a rocket ship.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG GT-S
Originally Posted by boilerup1998
solution to this is to be buy another NEW ECU, where Weistec will clone your new ECU and do the tune on the cloned ECU.

your original ECU remains un-modified.

so just plug and play and when it comes to service then put the original ECU back.

so you have to pay to play. but this time you pay a bit more for another new ECU to play it safe

i don't see they can know you did the swap.

Last edited by mydxb; 07-26-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Well there is a secondary consideration. As you all are aware, renntech and Kleeman tunes and parts are sold through dealerships and part of the agreement of being sold there is that their products will not void any factory-warranty.

The secondary consideration is that the dealership would be on the line if any damage was denied by MB.

I say this with Much respect to Weistec. And with this tune being so new, I cannot comment on whether a dealership would be able to state the same terms as in the past.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by mydxb
solution to this is to be buy another NEW ECU, where Weistec will clone your new ECU and do the tune on the cloned ECU.

your original ECU remains un-modified.

so just plug and play and when it comes to service then put the original ECU back.

so you have to pay to play. but this time you pay a bit more for another new ECU to play it safe

i don't see they can know you did the swap.

That's news to me.
AFAIK, MB ECU's are keyed to the car and can't be swapped.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:43 PM

AMG GT-S
Originally Posted by Wolfman
That's news to me.
i am not sure but i was told tuners can CLONE them means the car won't make out it is another ECU since programing is the same as of the old ECU

in high tech world every thing is possible
Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM

AMG GT-S
Originally Posted by Wolfman
That's news to me.
i found this vid for MB ECU cloned as an example which shows it is very much possible.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:41 PM

GTS AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55
Technically there is no way or process to ensure that. Its just part of the "pay to play" process. The concern, I can see for most, is if the tune causes damage to the engine and will MB cover it. That's the pay to play part if one doesn't have a strong service advisor who is willing to overlook the tune and just submit the warranty paperwork. Dealers are becoming more and more mod friendly, to a limit. I trust my tuners as they have done excellent research into not pushing the limits but instead raising the bar of the oem ecu tune. This M178 engine has a lot left in it that MB didn't want to tap into and clearly Weistec has found the gains but yet has not pushed it to a place where the tune would compromise the internals. But like I said you have to be ready to pay to play. I love the tune, it clearly transforms the car into a rocket ship.
Vic,

I hope you can answer my question. If I were to purchase a tune and the dealer updates my ECU for whatever reason, will I loose the performance tune? I was told that I would. I just had my car in for service the other day and the dealer did some software updates, including the trans and ECU. The technician said I would loose the tune. The Tech has an E55 tuned so he's tuner friendly. That could become a hassle sending off my ECU to have the tune loaded again and again.

Have you had any ECU updates since your tune? If so, then maybe the dealer updates will not effect the performance tune. I hope so.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by CAracer
Vic,

I hope you can answer my question. If I were to purchase a tune and the dealer updates my ECU for whatever reason, will I loose the performance tune? I was told that I would. I just had my car in for service the other day and the dealer did some software updates, including the trans and ECU. The technician said I would loose the tune. The Tech has an E55 tuned so he's tuner friendly. That could become a hassle sending off my ECU to have the tune loaded again and again.

Have you had any ECU updates since your tune? If so, then maybe the dealer updates will not effect the performance tune. I hope so.

Thanks in advance.

Your tech is right, it will wipe out any modifications and bring the tune back to oem just with the new oem updates from the campaign. I haven't done a dealer visit since the tune but will shortly; my SA just wont do the updates as he is tune friendly. But it does depend on the updates and if they are absolutely necessary Ill just overwrite and get the tune reinstalled. Luckily my tuner (Weistec) is on the way home from the dealer

In my past Ive never had to retune the car(s) because I just didn't do the updates.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Interesting that you avoid service updates. I suppose I can't think of any that would be necessary.

Can anyone comment on location of ECU and the difficulty in removing?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ROMEO550
Interesting that you avoid service updates. I suppose I can't think of any that would be necessary.

Can anyone comment on location of ECU and the difficulty in removing?
I only avoid the ones that aren't... there are several that are non performance related in the past on my other cars. I had my car scanned yesterday and its all up to date so I had my free alignment done and went on my way My Service Director knows exactly about the tune and when it could get wiped.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 PM

997TTS, GT-R
Vic, Where has the tune made the biggest impact: launch, mid range or top end? Does the car launch harder/faster with the tune? Did the tune cause greater traction issues when launching hard?
Old 08-15-2015, 10:52 PM

GTS AMG
Originally Posted by 996TTx50
Vic, Where has the tune made the biggest impact: launch, mid range or top end? Does the car launch harder/faster with the tune? Did the tune cause greater traction issues when launching hard?

All good questions. I worry about traction too. Looking forward to "Vic" response.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Administrator

As the dyno chart has shown and my driving experiences have mirrored; the biggest gains is in the sweet spot rpm range with both tq and hp. The 4.0 engine with its mini turbos (they are tiny) will run out of steam up top but there are still noticeable gains from stock at peak RPM's. AMG's are not high rev'ers so I'm very happy with the usable rpm range gains in tq and hp.

Launching is a little bit more difficult with the tq gain and the thrust is definitely harder. I think I gained circa 130 lb/ft in the lower rpm range so there can be wheel spin if one just mashes the throttle like any other AMG but this car has a strong differential and the grip is tremendous even with the 295's. The rear weight bias is still in play so with the proper modulation the launches are still great and then as soon as roll out has occurred the newly found tq and hp is there and you are gone!!

The best intrinsic gains are when doing 30 mph and making a lane change; hit the throttle and you are 100 mph just like that. The car is better, trust me.

Last edited by Vic55; 08-16-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:37 PM

997TTS, GT-R
Thanks Vic.

How much louder is the car with the Weistec down pipes?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:48 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
can I buy your GT S after you're done with it?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Thanks Vic.

How much louder is the car with the Weistec down pipes?
I don't have the down pipes but I have driven that car for a few miles with open speeds. Its about 30% louder all in- with bigger sound db gains as the throttle increases.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by ROMEO550
Well there is a secondary consideration. As you all are aware, renntech and Kleeman tunes and parts are sold through dealerships and part of the agreement of being sold there is that their products will not void any factory-warranty.

The secondary consideration is that the dealership would be on the line if any damage was denied by MB.

That statement is incorrect. Any modification to the ECU via any tuner (Kleeman/Renntech/Weistec ...) will void your factory warranty if in case of a failure it was proven that the ECU modification was the root cause.
Renntech or Kleeman products are sold by dealerships but MB does not warrant these products. This has been confirmed several time on the PL.
Probably dealerships will commit to pay for repairs out of their pocket but it won't be a warranty job.

OP those dyno results are great and are no surprise knowing weistec and the fact that MB tends to "under use" their new turbo engine.
Drive safely
Old 08-28-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
When I grow up I want to have a stable like yours Vic
Old 08-29-2015, 08:29 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
^property tax
plate tax
gas
insurance
maintenance
mods

what a nightmare that eats money, I've learned this after 6 cars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuned my AMG GTS with Weistec! Excellent Gains!!