Cast Vs Forged Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
Cast Vs Forged Wheels

Hey Guys,

Found a Diamond White AMG GTS i am interested in. It's loaded with AMG carbon fiber trim, Night Style Package, Illuminated Door Sills, Pano Roof, AMG Dynamic Plus, Lane Tracking, Exclusive Nappa interior PKG in saddle brown.

The only problem are the wheels. They are the standard cast ones. Any real performance benefit? The standard ones to me don't look any better than forged anyways.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I don't know the weight savings of the 2 options but that's your biggest area of performance degradation (if any). I would guess that the OEM forged wheels are rather heavy still compared to the likes of BBS and HRE which now make 20 inch wheels right around 20-21 lbs. The best part about the forged wheels is the structural rigidity which will endure pot holes and other road issues better without bending. But I think the OEM cast wheels are built fine and its not like the old days where cast sets would bend but then again I live in an area where the roads are well kept.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS 63 AMG
Hi

I Would love to know the weight difference between the standard wheel and forged alloy.

Anyone with specs?

When I ticked the order sheet for the forged alloys It was on looks and the implied performance advantage by the use of the word forged. It would be good know there is a weight saving and the wheel is indeed stronger.

Cheers