Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raw gasoline smell after driving...

Old 03-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
amg gt c roadster
Originally Posted by thebishman
So the tech must have misspoken then. The brake pads are bedding in as well as out-gassing the binders/adhesives in them. This causes a ‘burning brakes’ type smell when new.

Bish
They drove the car around and then checked the smell. To me it smelled like gasoline. I smell burning brakes at the track all the time and it's not that. I don't really care what it is as long as it eventually goes away. I was skeptical of the brake fluid claim too but since I didn't talk to the guy and ask questions, I have no idea what the basis of that is.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Sad that this conversation has been going since 2016! It’s amazing what people will put up with when spending over six figures on a car. Let’s see, you can’t fill the gas tank up. Oil may be one drop too much and so on and so on! Some Dealers say it’s normal, even though other cars don’t have the issue. Other dealers say it will dissipate in time.

Flagship car all hand built by AMG—PATHETIC!
Old 03-12-2019, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Td33
Sad that this conversation has been going since 2016! It’s amazing what people will put up with when spending over six figures on a car. Let’s see, you can’t fill the gas tank up. Oil may be one drop too much and so on and so on! Some Dealers say it’s normal, even though other cars don’t have the issue. Other dealers say it will dissipate in time.

And I'm sure you're drinking the Porsche 'Kool-aid', in that you believe all Porsches are blemish free and run perfectly for millennia.

I'd wager that the vast majority of 'GTs' owned on this forum are essentially bullet-proof. Yes, the early 16's had a couple of issues including the torque tube problem, but so do so many other brands, whether they're high performance or mainstream. Yes, brand new cars can and do give off some 'odd' smells when breaking-in especially high performance vehicles, and it's been my limited experience that a dry sump equipped car 'might' produce a more profound 'burning' oil smell than a non-dry sump car, especially if that dry sump system is over-filled. But these issues are not limited to AMGs; to infer that shows bias and extreme ignorance, rendering your opinions mute. If you really do have data that backs up your claims that AMGs, in this case 'GT' variants, are far less reliable and saddled with more problems than their competition, please post it ASAP.

Bish
Old 03-12-2019, 11:59 AM

Ml63
Have you read the posts on this forum over the past few days. Numerous issues!

did you read the one about the door handle rattle. Guy is using foam to fix his issue on his 200k gtr. Priceless!

Last edited by Td33; 03-12-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:35 PM

Received 129 Likes on 58 Posts
18 Avent. S, 18 GTS, 17 Cali T, 20 C8, 20 M850
Problem Found!

So, I took my GTS to the dealer today. They were trying to get me to leave the car with them, but I insisted that an AMG tech come out and check my car while the engine was still warm and running. Their foreman came out, I opened the hood and asked him to sniff around the dry sump holding tank, after a few minutes, they agreed that there is an unusual smell.

They took the car in and about 20 minutes later, I was told they found 5 more cases in their Product Technical Support System. (PTSS) database with same issue. Apparently some of the hoses around the dry sump holding tank could leak and cause the odor.

They ordered the parts and scheduled me to go back next Tuesday to have them replaced. I will report back once the hoses have been replaced.
The following 4 users liked this post by N-4Speed:
JSwan724 (03-12-2019), NoSlipN (03-13-2019), Orcbolg (03-12-2019), thebishman (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 03:12 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by N-4Speed
So, I took my GTS to the dealer today. They were trying to get me to leave the car with them, but I insisted that an AMG tech come out and check my car while the engine was still warm and running. Their foreman came out, I opened the hood and asked him to sniff around the dry sump holding tank, after a few minutes, they agreed that there is an unusual smell.

They took the car in and about 20 minutes later, I was told they found 5 more cases in their Product Technical Support System. (PTSS) database with same issue. Apparently some of the hoses around the dry sump holding tank could leak and cause the odor.

They ordered the parts and scheduled me to go back next Tuesday to have them replaced. I will report back once the hoses have been replaced.
good for you for forcing the issue. Hopefully this will resolve your issue!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T

Pathetic is having to replace an entire Years worth of engines as they exploded into fire for every GT3 in 2014, to be followed up by 100s of engine oil failures for the next two model years (another design failure), forcing Porsche to provide 100,000 mile warranties on all these cars. Lets not forget the weeks and months GT3 owners had to wait for engines and shop openings.

Quite sure Sad TD 33 will claim that this was “ incredible customer service and factory support”. But he never went through the mental anguish of it all. And this from a guy who’s never owned an AMG GT.

So tape those door handles and replace those nasty rubber hoses GT guys I salut!!

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 03-12-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Pathetic is having to replace an entire Years worth of engines as they exploded into fire for every GT3 in 2014, to be followed up by 100s of engine oil failures for the next two model years (another design failure), forcing Porsche to provide 100,000 mile warranties on all these cars. Lets not forget the weeks and months GT3 owners had to wait for engines and shop openings.

Quite sure Sad TD 33 will claim that this was “ incredible customer service and factory support”. But he never went through the mental anguish of it all. And this from a guy who’s never owned an AMG GT.

So tape those door handles and replace those nasty rubber hoses GT guys I salut!!
Sad that you have to live in the past, but that’s all you got. I understand. Didn’t know I had to own a GT to comment on the AMG brand and the direction it has gone in. Must be your rules, which I don’t live by. I think spending over 1mill on MB products, about half of that on AMG cars, through the years gives me some rights.

You are right porsche stepped up and took care of its customers, unlike what MB is doing these days. Cars sit for weeks and even months for minor repairs.
Customer satisfaction surveys in the gutter, but I’m sure you an explanation for it all.

BTW I have zero brand loyalty. Traded my turbo s, which was fantastic for almost three years, and waiting for my new car to be built/delivered. If it was bad I’d tell it how it is. If my new car is bad I’ll tell it how it is.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 337 Likes on 192 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Bish,

TD33 has been trolling this site to leave disparaging remarks for years. He is on my ignore list so nothing of his postings pops up - but it is too bad that we have people like this who "try to set us (the uniformed nitwits) straight" with their lofty vision of truth.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by California John
Bish,

TD33 has been trolling this site to leave disparaging remarks for years. He is on my ignore list so nothing of his postings pops up - but it is too bad that we have people like this who "try to set us (the uniformed nitwits) straight" with their lofty vision of truth.
Sad that you have to resort to calling people names. Very mature of you, but I wouldn’t exspect anything else. I understand that people can’t handle the truth so I’ll forgive the name calling.

BTW your ignore list isn’t working.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Sad that you have to live in the past, but that’s all you got. I understand. Didn’t know I had to own a GT to comment on the AMG brand and the direction it has gone in. Must be your rules, which I don’t live by. I think spending over 1mill on MB products, about half of that on AMG cars, through the years gives me some rights.

You are right porsche stepped up and took care of its customers, unlike what MB is doing these days. Cars sit for weeks and even months for minor repairs.
Customer satisfaction surveys in the gutter, but I’m sure you an explanation for it all.

BTW I have zero brand loyalty. Traded my turbo s, which was fantastic for almost three years, and waiting for my new car to be built/delivered. If it was bad I’d tell it how it is. If my new car is bad I’ll tell it how it is.
If you want to talk about a major engine issue that generally occurs right about the time the warranty expires, go ahead and Google: Porsche and IMS issue. And whilst you’re at it, Google: Porsche and water pipe failures due to ‘glue’ failure.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:42 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by thebishman
If you want to talk about a major engine issue that generally occurs right about the time the warranty expires, go ahead and Google: Porsche and IMS issue. And whilst you’re at it, Google: Porsche and water pipe failures due to ‘glue’ failure.
Bish, that’s why I never keep a car out of warranty—any brand! Every car brand has issues I get it. I don’t have a huge issue with that if it’s handled quickly and to my satisfaction.

I’ll say again, I have no brand loyalty although I have had several AMG cars and loved them all. I didn’t have one issue with any of them!!! People ignore the positive I’ve said about the brand. I guess it’s easier that way so they can call me names.

Just don’t like the major dilution, the quality and the dealer support of the past several years. Just me and my opinion. I stay involved in the brand because I’d still be interested in the BS if it’s done right, limited and if I can get one.

Anyways looking forward to my new cars arrival and hoping they have improved their reliability issues. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-12-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 129 Likes on 58 Posts
18 Avent. S, 18 GTS, 17 Cali T, 20 C8, 20 M850
Guys,

I hope my posts on this thread are not coming across as negative. I LOVE my AMG! I had my 2016 GTS for 18 months and with the exception of steering wheel replacement and fume smell around 10k miles, I had no issues with it and I tracked it hard on MSR more than a dozen times in Texas summer heat. I like my new GTS even more and looks like MB dealer found the fume issue and is standing behind it.

Out of all the cars I have ever owned, including exotic Italian brands, I think the AMG GT series cars are the best driver cars period. IMHO, no car has the rawness, excitement, sound and muscle car sensation of AMG even at twice the price point of GTx series. I consider my self blessed to be able to drive and enjoy an AMG.

Last edited by N-4Speed; 03-12-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 435 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by N-4Speed

Doing the Lord's work, my friend.

Bish, that’s why I never keep a car out of warranty—any brand! Every car brand has issues I get it. I don’t have a huge issue with that if it’s handled quickly and to my satisfaction.
I'm surprised that I hadn't noticed you before, in all of my lurking for the last few months, but at least now I have a reason to figure out where the ignore feature is located.

Last edited by Orcbolg; 03-12-2019 at 11:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
N-4Speed (03-13-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG

Last edited by AMGTTV8; 11-05-2019 at 04:35 PM.