Sponsored by:

Leaking engine oil seal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTS
Leaking engine oil seal

I went to pick up my car after storing it this winter and there was a spot of oil on the ground under the engine. Had it towed to the local MB dealer and they found that it had a leaking oil seal on the engine. Anyone else experience this?
The following users liked this post:
jessejames4 (04-02-2021)
Old 03-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Can you not try LIQUI-MOLY . This rejuvenates oil seals and gaskets.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:19 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
Can you not try LIQUI-MOLY . This rejuvenates oil seals and gaskets.
Because I have a $150,000 car with less than 3000 miles with an oil leak....
optimusprime m1 (04-01-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 03:41 PM

W124 260E
Welll you never said it was new .Sorry not a mind reader .Just here to help. Should have said in the first instance .I would not put anything in if its a new car.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:53 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
Welll you never said it was new .Sorry not a mind reader .Just here to help. Should have said in the first instance .I would not put anything in if its a new car.
No worries. I figured when I posted it in the GTS forum people would assume it was a GTS.
optimusprime m1 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
Mine has been parked just over five months with 1800 miles on the clock. I'll be putting it back on the road next Friday so will make sure I check the floor when it comes out of the garage. Hope yours is an easy fix.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:40 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Patric
Mine has been parked just over five months with 1800 miles on the clock. I'll be putting it back on the road next Friday so will make sure I check the floor when it comes out of the garage. Hope yours is an easy fix.
I spoke with the service manager and it does not require pulling the engine or any major work. It might be worth it to bring it into your dealer and have them put it on the left just to check it out. He is hopefully going to take some pictures for me and show me exactly where the leak came from. I will post those here if he follows through on that.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:29 AM

W124 260E
Originally Posted by boilerup1998
No worries. I figured when I posted it in the GTS forum people would assume it was a GTS.
Not your fault , but a little of mine also .I am in a time warp of 27 years as my car is that old .So i know very little on new cars .If i had looked to see the make and worked it out i would have known it was a new car. Hope all is ok for you.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 PM

So I pulled mine out of the garage today after a bit over five months in storage and also found a small oil spot on the floor.

I e-mailed my AMG mechanic and he said there are not really any common leaks in these new engines. He had one with a minor leak coming from one of the cam sensors which left a little puddle on the owners floor so it may be similar in mine. He said it should not keep me from enjoying the car and to bring it in so he can take a look. I have an appointment about two weeks out.

The interesting thing is I have had the car since last July with 1800 miles on the clock and the floor has always been dry. I let it idle for the better part of a half hour today while I aired up the tires, etc. When I backed it into the garage the pavement was dry where it had been idling. Evidently the car does not like to sit for long periods.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 195 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
If my memory serves me correctly, seals like lubrication and can dry out a bit when left to sit for extended periods.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:03 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by California John
If my memory serves me correctly, seals like lubrication and can dry out a bit when left to sit for extended periods.
I forgot to mention that my car was started every month and it ran until up to operating temps. Regardless, I might expect this from a 1969 Camaro, but not a 2016 AMG.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
I agree. Not befitting AMG. We expect more and we've paid for more! FWIW, mine sat for 5 weeks and no oil. But that is a comparative small amount of time to yours and others.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 PM

AMG GTS
As a follow up to above.....unbelievable.

To review, I brought my car to the dealer after I found a spot of oil under the car after storing it for a few months. This is what happened next.

The next day my SA sent me a text to tell me they found a leaking seal in the back of my engine. I inquired if it was a major issue or required an engine out. He replied no and with no further explanation. I was out of town for a week, so I told them to keep the car and get it done. So, I was just a bit surprised when I got the invoice today and it says "Replace rear main seal." WHAT?! I had no idea that's what they had found. I think if I was the SA I probably would have at least picked up the phone and explained that to the owner. Does anyone else disagree? Do other people's SA send texts and not call?

I guess this makes my hood hinge issue seem pretty minor......
Old 04-05-2016, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I am not sure I understand your concern.
SA advised seal was bad and it and it did not require the engine to be taken out.
SA went forward per your request and performed the repair.
Are you saying the dealer had to do something you did not expect??
seamus2154 (01-17-2021)
Old 04-05-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by emericr
SA advised seal was bad and it and it did not require the engine to be taken out.
The engine has to be removed to replace the rear main seal. That may have been lost in the conversation between the mechanic and the SA.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by emericr
I am not sure I understand your concern.
SA went forward per your request and performed the repair.
It's always interesting when people tell other people how they should feel about something when they're not in the same situation. I think you missed the point that I think that the SA tried to minimize the issue by just saying it was "an oil seal." I think that we would agree that there are a more than a few oil seals on an engine and it's a lot easier to break the news to a customer about their leaking car if you avoid the words "REAR MAIN SEAL".

Thankfully the engine does not need to be pulled. The bell housing, driveshaft and a lot of other components need to come off though.
optimusprime m1 (04-10-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 11:01 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
Does anyone else disagree? Do other people's SA send texts and not call?
I love when my SA texts me!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Chill Bud, where did I say how you should feel? I was just trying to understand your issue.
If the engine was not pulled and the SA did not lie, then I do not see the problem.
Yes, My SA texts me but he has become a friend as he is a car nut as well so it's a bit different. My MB dealer now even has an automated system that emails me what is happening with car and when it will be ready.
Mako1969 (07-25-2020)
Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Me and myself and I would be way more concerned regarding the hood issue rather than miscommunications from SA if this were MY circumstance. The Rear main can be 100% corrected.......
Old 04-09-2016, 03:53 PM

AMG GTS
This whole situation has just been a cluster.

The rear main has been fixed and all other campaigns are up to date. The car remains with the dealer to figure out what we are going to do with the hood....
Old 04-09-2016, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Glad to see that the rear main is fixed. What campaigns are out there that brought you up to date? I haven't had any recalls myself and the local service manager said that using my VIN there is nothing. I don't know if it my build date (11/15) or there are things that he isn't aware of or??? I have been watching the rivets on my struts on the hood and the lovely rivets on my doors.

I wonder what the heck they are going to do with your hood so that you are not having to have a repaint - which can be problematic. Have they shared any brainstorming with you as far as acceptable remedies?
Old 04-09-2016, 04:25 PM

AMG GTS
Glad to see that the rear main is fixed. What campaigns are out there that brought you up to date? I haven't had any recalls myself and the local service manager said that using my VIN there is nothing. I don't know if it my build date (11/15) or there are things that he isn't aware of or??? I have been watching the rivets on my struts on the hood and the lovely rivets on my doors.

I wonder what the heck they are going to do with your hood so that you are not having to have a repaint - which can be problematic. Have they shared any brainstorming with you as far as acceptable remedies?
The campaigns included fixing the clunking from the strut tower brace, replacing a turbo oil line, and updating the software on the ESP.

We still don't have a solution for the hood. The dealer has been working with the engineers at MB to figure it out. I have repeatedly told the dealer that I am not willing to give up my factory hood. They have ordered a new hood and want to paint it for me, but I told them the only way that will work is if I am able to keep the original hood. I know there are a couple of custom build shops around where I live that could do some fabrication work to fix the hood and make it look original. For some reason they just won't work with me on that solution. They refuse to replace the hood and let me keep the original. We have discussed current and future loss of value of the car because of these issues, but have yet to put a number on it.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
What is the software update on the ESP? Was there a problem you experienced with the electronic stability program? I take it you want to keep the current hood, even if the paint on the new one is a perfect match, so that you will have an "all original" car for collectors' purposes. Is that right?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:59 PM

AMG GTS
What is the software update on the ESP? Was there a problem you experienced with the electronic stability program? I take it you want to keep the current hood, even if the paint on the new one is a perfect match, so that you will have an "all original" car for collectors' purposes. Is that right?
No issues with the ESP, just an open campaign on the car. I was getting the strut support "clunk" entering driveways sometimes.

You are correct about the hood. I'm planning on keeping the car a long time and especially since an Edition 1, I really need an all original car.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes AMG GTS
I spoke with the service manager and it does not require pulling the engine or any major work. It might be worth it to bring it into your dealer and have them put it on the left just to check it out. He is hopefully going to take some pictures for me and show me exactly where the leak came from. I will post those here if he follows through on that.
Having the same problem on my 2016 GTS. Repeated twice. In the shop again now. I've also had "Vehicle Malfunction" light show up several times (electronic engine mount related). Its been in the shop 3 times just for that.... Although I love the car, not impressed on the quality. Only 1650 miles!! My cell is 818-723-6769. Can you guys send me a quick text to compare notes..? Its a $150 K car!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leaking engine oil seal