Race fuel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GT S Edition 1
Question Race fuel?

Hi guys,

I am attempting an event where there will be 1/4 drag and lapping. I was wondering if real race fuel 109 octane would help me improve my 1/4 drag time I had with unleaded 94 octane fuel.

What you guys think?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Nope
Old 05-31-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 AMG GT S, 2015 C7 Corvette Z06, 2015 BMW M4
You need a tune to be able to benefit from higher octane...without it, the stock fuel trim setting will just compensate and you wont see any gains in performance.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by turbotonee
You need a tune to be able to benefit from higher octane...without it, the stock fuel trim setting will just compensate and you wont see any gains in performance.
Right, but at what octane level is it no longer beneficial?

Are we talking euro or US Octane?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2004 911 gt3
Race fuel doesn't raise horsepower, you can have more aggressive tune with higher octane number that would help longevity of the engine. (Running cooler without detonation )
Old 05-31-2016, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by ROMEO550
Right, but at what octane level is it no longer beneficial?

Are we talking euro or US Octane?
Where are you located? Europe and Japan use a different method of rating for octane (RON). If your using the ratings of Europe or Japan multiply by .95 and you'll have the US rating. There is a Motor rating and Research method that some fuel refineries use. If you add them and divide by two you'll get the true rating.
Google is your friend.

The key is keeping the engine knock sensors from retarding timing due to heat or poor fuel. Higher octane can help performance by reducing detonation. Just watch a C7Zo6 on a hot day as the lap time worsen due to heat as the sensors pull timing.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:26 AM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Where are you located? Europe and Japan use a different method of rating for octane (RON). If your using the ratings of Europe or Japan multiply by .95 and you'll have the US rating. There is a Motor rating and Research method that some fuel refineries use. If you add them and divide by two you'll get the true rating.
Google is your friend.

The key is keeping the engine knock sensors from retarding timing due to heat or poor fuel. Higher octane can help performance by reducing detonation. Just watch a C7Zo6 on a hot day as the lap time worsen due to heat as the sensors pull timing.
Jim I honestly feel smarter every time I read your posts.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Good to know.

Was trying to answer what I believe OP was trying figure out. At what octane level do HP gains end? I remember Vic stating that weistec had claimed 30hp gains from US 91 to 93 with their tune. So would 95-100 octane yield even more HP?

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 06-01-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Google is your friend.

Thanks AHI, I've had many discussions with my father-in-law who's a PHd petroleum engineer. All in the hopes of gaining more power.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good to know.

Was trying to answer what I believe OP was trying figure out. At what octane level do HP gains end? I remember Vic stating that weistec had claimed 30hp gains from US 91 to 93 with their tune. So would 95-100 octane yield even more HP?
Depends on the engine. A "tune" for an ecu can do three things (actually a lot more if you have a supercomputer) but most tuners are relegated to three, control amount of throttle or fuel, change timing, change boost. A change in timing may allow the engine to find a more power as the engine likes more advance. But too much timing advance might cause detonation with a specific fuel octane rating.

It's pretty predictable that there's more power in these engines if we put more timing in the motor but the factory has to take into consideration variations in fuel quality so they don't put has much advance as they could. I'm amazed at Ferrari running 13 to 1 with 91 octane! The higher octane allows the fuel to burn slower hence less chance to detonate. So you can run 100 octane unleaded and not have any increase in horsepower because you haven't changed timing or boost or fuel ratio at a given rpm.

Before Formula 1 regulated fuel requirements, ELF, Shell and some others had some pretty exotic blends where the techs fueling the cars had to wear hazmat suits because the fuel was so toxic. In those cases the blends reportedly had gains but were the result of using non hydrocarbon compounds. Now it's tightly regulated so it's pretty hard to cheat.
I've gone though the turbo days of more boost and fuel having to run more octane, not worth it for the gains as you lose reliability but if you ego's on the line then it's worth it
Old 06-01-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 AMG GT S, 2015 C7 Corvette Z06, 2015 BMW M4
Good to know.

Their tune increases boost which in turn impacts fuel/trim ratio. Paired with catless downpipes, mid pipes, and exhaust...a lot of things will change as well. This requires countless hours of dyno and tweaking to find the usable powerband.