Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

does your GTS burn oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
does your GTS burn oil

Mine is burning about a quart per thousand miles ever since 3000 miles on the odometer. I'm fighting with the dealer to the point of nearly getting banned from the service department. I drive aggressively but I don't track the car.

I believe that despite the manual saying 1 quart per 600 miles is normal, this is just a legal tactic to cover the 3% of cars with this issue.

See here:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm

Other issues:

Wobbly drivers seat- cannot be replicated
Lots of interior rattles and creaks - cannot be replicated

Last edited by 2016AMGGTS; 06-30-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:33 AM

AMG GTS
Other service issues I've had:

-Center console cup holder lid would not close- replaced after waiting for part for 6 weeks
-Passenger side airbag error light - wire behind glove box was "pinched" and needed to be replaced
-Drivers side wind noise excessive - replaced seal
-Intermittent rough transmission shifts- could not replicate

I wanted to add that the service department has done nothing to address the oil issue: no consumption or compression test. They are screening my calls and completely stonewalling me on the issue.

I intend to lemon the vehicle after they "top it off" a few more times. Should I pay to have an independent shop do a compression test and/or look at the cylinders with a boroscope?

Last edited by 2016AMGGTS; 06-30-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 AM

AMG GTS
Just realized I have had barely perceptible intermittent engine knock going on at high revs. Something is seriously effed up in my 4L V8 craptastic L (lemon) variant engine. I know for a fact this will not be replicated because - why not?

Intermittent burned oil smell from day one also persists. Cannot be replicated. This has been reported by multiple GTS owners.

Will Mercedes claim engine knock is "within spec"? What other outrageous things are within spec? Total engine failure?

I'm considering printing up huge lemon decals to put on the car doors and driving around town with with a sign on the rear that reads "Mercedes of blank Sells Lemons". Funny thing is, I live directly next door to the dealership.

Halo cars can improve sales of other models but in this instance the eye catching design of the car will be humiliating for the company.

Last edited by 2016AMGGTS; 07-01-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2020 GT 63s, 2020 G63, 2018 GTR, 2020 Ferrari Pista Spider, Ferrari 2018 812 SF, Ferrari 2019 Lusso
Originally Posted by 2016AMGGTS
Just realized I have had barely perceptible intermittent engine knock going on at high revs. Something is seriously effed up in my 4L V8 craptastic L (lemon) variant engine. I know for a fact this will not be replicated because - why not?

Intermittent burned oil smell from day one also persists. Cannot be replicated. This has been reported by multiple GTS owners.

Will Mercedes claim engine knock is "within spec"? What other outrageous things are within spec? Total engine failure?

I'm considering printing up huge lemon decals to put on the car doors and driving around town with with a sign on the rear that reads "Mercedes of blank Sells Lemons". Funny thing is, I live directly next door to the dealership.

Halo cars can improve sales of other models but in this instance the eye catching design of the car will be humiliating for the company.
Sorry to hear about your issues. Hoping you get them resolved. I'm sure you will keep us posted.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Mine is burning about a quart per thousand miles ever since 3000 miles on the odometer. I'm fighting with the dealer to the point of nearly getting banned from the service department. I drive aggressively but I don't track the car.

I believe that despite the manual saying 1 quart per 600 miles is normal, this is just a legal tactic to cover the 3% of cars with this issue.

See here:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm

Other issues:

Wobbly drivers seat- cannot be replicated
Lots of interior rattles and creaks - cannot be replicated
Sorry for your problems.

A couple of questions;

1. What is your manufacture date?
2. Have you had your Service "A" yet? I would doubt it BUT in my experience it's important! You may be experiencing a delay in the rings seating. I would continue to be sure the dealer supplied all oil that goes in the engine because it creates a historical record that will prove helpful later.
3. Rough idle can be a a fouled plug, bad coil pack or the engine is in limp mode.

I would suggest that you take the car in after making an appointment with the dealer's General Manager to discuss all of your problems--professionally not emotionally of course. Let them know you are/have contacted the Mercedes Customer Satisfaction center and provided them with the same information.

Be sure to include your experience with his Service Department and management. This type of support doesn't sell cars.

Set some goals and a follow up date for your next meeting.

FWIW: There are documented fixes out for each and every one of the issues you have including the rattles, pops and squeeks. All the AMG tech needs to do is access the AMG Germany database for the solutions.

If you can't resolve the issues your current dealership, have MB Customer Satisfaction refer you to another dealer.

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSwan724:
cls55 (07-06-2016), emericr (07-05-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 08:14 AM

15 S65, 11 550i, 05 E55, 99 F355
It's unreasonable to burn a quart every 1k unless you beat the living crap out of it every single day... but even then, for a car so modern and new, it's ridiculous
Old 07-09-2016, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Yeah and what's really ridiculous is that's it's clearly stated in owners manual. One quart up to 600 miles!
Old 07-09-2016, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Obviously, the rings haven't seated to the optimum as the only place the oil consumption can go is past the rings or valve guides. Valve guides are rarely an issue in newer engines so I'd rule that out. More likely it's taking longer for your run in due to driving conditions. try taking it on a longer trip 400-700 miles with a lot of throttle variation. You said you drive aggressively, but didn't mention how you drove it on break in which is critical.
Oil consumption is a common issue in the Porsche community where they're not driven hard enough or in city conditions when new. You didn't mention the mileage or I didn't catch it as these motors can take up to 8000 miles for break in.
I'm not a fan of indicting a company on the Internet that's got a exceptional reputation on building motors until I have a lot more facts. As one poster suggested let the dealer do a consumption test and report back.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Obviously, the rings haven't seated to the optimum as the only place the oil consumption can go is past the rings or valve guides. Valve guides are rarely an issue in newer engines so I'd rule that out. More likely it's taking longer for your run in due to driving conditions. try taking it on a longer trip 400-700 miles with a lot of throttle variation. You said you drive aggressively, but didn't mention how you drove it on break in which is critical.
Oil consumption is a common issue in the Porsche community where they're not driven hard enough or in city conditions when new. You didn't mention the mileage or I didn't catch it as these motors can take up to 8000 miles for break in.
I'm not a fan of indicting a company on the Internet that's got a exceptional reputation on building motors until I have a lot more facts. As one poster suggested let the dealer do a consumption test and report back.
How did you break in?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
How did you break in?
In '07 I watched the factory test drivers do the last of the break in miles
for 7 US Clk63 bs. They had to have a 1000 mi in them before the AMG trophy race. This was as much to marry the rear axel gears as the engine before the cars raced.
There is no way I could be as disciplined as the factory drivers as they ran countless laps at varring speeds. Mine was one of the cars and never used a drop of oil. With that said I also had a Porsche I drove from the factory down Porsche Strasse onto the Autobahn flat out for 140 km and the car had no adverse effects.
I live close to a toll road that has 17 miles with 1200ft elevation changes and I use this as my run in and try to stay out of the heavy boost. The temptation is overwhelming! I try and follow the recommend break in but yea, I've hammered it. Some motors need a little more time for break in.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:11 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
FWIW, the M278 in my C217 burned no discernable amount of oil in the first 3000 miles...the car was driven gingerly for the first 2000 miles, then more aggressively.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:23 AM

the ball straight every time
Other service issues I've had:

-Center console cup holder lid would not close- replaced after waiting for part for 6 weeks
-Passenger side airbag error light - wire behind glove box was "pinched" and needed to be replaced
-Drivers side wind noise excessive - replaced seal
-Intermittent rough transmission shifts- could not replicate

I wanted to add that the service department has done nothing to address the oil issue: no consumption or compression test. They are screening my calls and completely stonewalling me on the issue.

I intend to lemon the vehicle after they "top it off" a few more times. Should I pay to have an independent shop do a compression test and/or look at the cylinders with a boroscope?
Did the service department really not fix these problems quickly and courteously enough to your satisfaction? That's a shame. This beautiful car should've been perfect, but, but...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Every one of my AMG's, with the exception of my GLA45 has consumed oil, as much as a quart every 1000-1500 miles. My GT-S burned less than all my M156/M159 6.2L motors, CLK Black Series was the worst, a quart low every 1000 miles like clockwork. It's really nothing to be concerned with. These motors have very high compression and even with properly seated rings you are going to get some blowby. Also, running a quart low or even two quarts low is not going to result in any motor damage, especially in a dry sump motor. There are plenty of electronics on these cars monitoring oil volume as well as oil quality but I would still recommend changing your dipstick every 1500 miles or so.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by jrcart
Every one of my AMG's, with the exception of my GLA45 has consumed oil, as much as a quart every 1000-1500 miles. My GT-S burned less than all my M156/M159 6.2L motors, CLK Black Series was the worst, a quart low every 1000 miles like clockwork. It's really nothing to be concerned with. These motors have very high compression and even with properly seated rings you are going to get some blowby. Also, running a quart low or even two quarts low is not going to result in any motor damage, especially in a dry sump motor. There are plenty of electronics on these cars monitoring oil volume as well as oil quality but I would still recommend changing your dipstick every 1500 miles or so.

So I must know. I've been reading.....

As you have a 911 GTRS. Is it a E, F, or G engine and are your cams DLC coated?? All those engine replacements and top end repairs are just crazy. 4-6 weeks in shop.

You must be concerned on all the above, yet you haven't referred to it at all in your rants with the edition one you had.