Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying an AMG GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan GT-R
Thinking about buying an AMG GTS

Hey guys. I've been thinking about possibly purchasing an AMG GTS and i was hoping for some more information (as well as your opinions on the matter).

Just a little background first. I was at the dealership the other day, taking my dad's car in for service, when I saw the AMG GTS. I've always known about the car but never really saw any in person until that day. Such a beautiful car.

Anyways, ever since that day, I've had thoughts about possibly trading in my 2015 Nissan GT-R for an AMG GTS.

Just a couple of questions.

1. I'm trying to keep this within my 'budget' and I will be shopping for a used GTS. With the GT coming into the market, how much do you guys think it will affect the used GTS market? Also, should i wait since Christmas is sort of right around the corner? How much room do I have in terms of negotiations?

2. What sort of common issues have you guys experienced with the GTS? The GTR I currently have is kind of notorious for it's transmission. Just wondering if the GTS has any type of problem like that.

3. What sort of mods can you do to bump the horsepower up a bit? My current car makes about 600 whp with roughly the same torque and I would love to have the GTS be around there as well (don't want to lose any power in the transition).

I think that's all the questions I have for now.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Gsc

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 S550, 2014 Porsche Turbo S, 2013 Bentley GT Speed W12
I came from a 2014 Porsche Turbo S which was modified with a bunch of stuff. My primary reason for the switch was because the power of the Porsche was totally un-useable where I live, plus the porsche got kinda boring, even after all of the mod's.

I like the AMG because it has the power, but more so, the sound is soo badass. No major issues with the car, except a window seal that was taken care of rapidly by the dealer.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S
Gsc, this is good to hear, I am always, always big Porsche fan, been driven diff 911 for over 20 yr, 991 turbo (14/15) should be the top choice in my radar, but as you said, they are kinda boring (in and out) and. 3 year old 991 turbo (non s) is same price as a brand new GTS, and "RWD" is a plus for fun factor.. (Will put less than 2,000 mile a yr)

Same question to me too, comparing GT and GTS, theyare app.$13-14k diff afterall, but after ECU modded, probably similar power... (To be honest, 505hp or 460hp are more than enough... )

Well, it is snowing here in Canada....so, no rush at all...lol
Old 10-07-2016, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
That was mostly my thought process when deciding about my next car ....the GTR was just too much a singular speed dimension thing and the P cars just did not ring my bell sound wise and that short hood made me think I was driving a beetle on steroids.

The GT is a complete answer for me that checked all the boxes of a unique car that had an incredible cockpit to boot.

Mine is sitting in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Thanks Matthew you @%€#^^!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:59 PM

Nissan GT-R
Welp. So it looks like I'll be shopping around a bit more.

The dealer I contacted gave me the lowest offer I have ever seen for a trade in my car.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by ipeefreely
Welp. So it looks like I'll be shopping around a bit more.

The dealer I contacted gave me the lowest offer I have ever seen for a trade in my car.
I almost never trade my car in to the dealer as it just gives the dealer another way to mess with you by you never knowing just what the discount is on the new one and what they give for the trade.
Get a CarMax quote and finalize the new car buy and THEN let the dealer give you a price on your trade.
You have many ways to get rid of your old car Online/dealer /CarMax/sell it yourself so don't let the dealer confuse the deal. AND BE REALISTIC.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:10 AM

AMG GTS
YES PLEASE BUY A GTS. MISERY LOVES COMPANY.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had lots of 911 form gt3 to turbos etc..now have Lambo R8 etc..the GTS is just special..makes you feel like a bad ***! Ha has a muscle car feel/look and hauls ***! I say you go for it! One of the coolest cars I've owned..I had a ftype R too..but after buying gts I sold jag as I nvr drive it...
Old 10-10-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
I can only answer #3.

GTS makes 535-550whp with a tune. Add maybe 10-20whp for catless downpipes. You're not getting to 600whp with bolt ons until something new comes out. Maybe you could do a custom E85 tune to get to that power level.

Only other mod I've seen is upgraded turbo cartridges which are expensive and very few cars are actively running them to my knowledge.

Last edited by kumizi; 10-10-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by 2016AMGGTS
YES PLEASE BUY A GTS. MISERY LOVES COMPANY.
I know you've had a lot of problems with your car but there are a lot of us that haven't had any issues. Trolling this board isn't very helpful.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
Originally Posted by kumizi
I know you've had a lot of problems with your car but there are a lot of us that haven't had any issues. Trolling this board isn't very helpful.

Plain and simple, he's a dick.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
As for price, I think the 2016's will keep dropping, but probably a little slower than they have so far. The winter is an interesting time to buy a sports car. Dealers will sometimes sit on them at higher prices, just so something cool is in the showroom. When the spring comes, the prices start dropping quickly if the car hasn't sold. I'd either buy now, or wait until mid-April, unless someone is desperate for a winter sale.

As for issues, the GT is an all new, low volume car. It has issues. I've had two warranty repairs on mine. However, the car is a super fun beast. My thought process was, buy it, drive it hard, and let Mercedes sort out any issues over the next couple of years.

I don't usually buy the first year of a new model, let alone the first year of a new car. However, I just couldn't stay away from the GTS.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
Originally Posted by austintipton
I don't usually buy the first year of a new model, let alone the first year of a new car. However, I just couldn't stay away from the GTS.

Ditto....
Old 10-12-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW M6
I love my GTS
Old 10-15-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S Edition 1
Originally Posted by austintipton

Agreed!
Old 10-31-2016, 11:19 PM

2013 S63 AMG
Just wanted to comment on this thread as I had the similar question looking before I found this thread. I recently sold my 2015 FBO+E85 GTR which was a great car. However, I had the itch to both upgrade it further which = BIG money and to have something more luxury orientated. I've had several other AMG's in the past and decided to pick up a 2013 S63 AMG to hold me over until I decide what to do next.

Since visiting the local dealership and seeing 3-4 AMG GT/S's, I'm already considering upgrading to that although the S63 sedan with a tune is no slouch and comfortably sits 4-5 adults. I'm still not 100% clear on what the GTS brings that the GT doesn't (although I'm still looking through Google) AFTER say a tune and maybe new exhaust/pipes.

I'm also looking to catch one on the down swing as its been my experience that AMG's drop like a rock typically after/during the 3rd year of its manufacturing date (ie, my 2013 S63 had a sticker of 158k, I bought it used CPO with 1-owner in mint condition for 67k).
Old 11-01-2016, 12:57 AM

Porsche GT4, Shelgy GT350R, Audi Q5
I'm thinking of a GTS but the GTR caught my eye.

If I do decided on a GTS I would add a tune from Renntech

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/inde...amg-gt/gt-s-15

Note the early GT/GTS has a major recall on the carbon fiber drive shaft. I believe only a few hundred cars had defective drive shafts.