Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
FRIENDS DIE RACING IN THE ALPS--FALL 1,200 FEET

THIS IS A REAL SAD TRAGEDY!!

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/13/two-fr...-6255404/#mv-b

Last edited by JSwan724; 11-16-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
Originally Posted by JSwan724

No it's not. It's Darwinism at its finest.

Or, as Forrest put it so eloquently, "Stupid is as stupid does."
Old 11-16-2016, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
The car they were driving was a Seat Leon Cupra. They may have been racing a Porsche Boxter. Still very sad though.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
The car they were driving was a Seat Leon Cupra. They may have been racing a Porsche Boxter. Still very sad though.
Couldn't agree more with you. Since MOST of us here have made some mistakes in our lives it's a tragic end.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Td33
Couldn't agree more with you. Since MOST of us here have made some mistakes in our lives it's a tragic end.

No, "most of us" have not made this sort of "mistake". That's why we're still here.

What happened to these two juveniles was the direct consequence of their own stupidity. Ergo, street-racing a ****-box sedan against a couple pals in a sportscar on a dangerous, narrow two-lane mountain track, sans seatbelts. That's not a mistake, it's dumbness cubed.

Your sympathies are ill-conceived. In the opinion of a simple staple salesman.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:24 AM

Ml63
Originally Posted by rsalco
No, "most of us" have not made this sort of "mistake". That's why we're still here.

What happened to these two juveniles was the direct consequence of their own stupidity. Ergo, street-racing a ****-box sedan against a couple pals in a sportscar on a dangerous, narrow two-lane mountain track, sans seatbelts. That's not a mistake, it's dumbness cubed.

Your sympathies are ill-conceived. In the opinion of a simple staple salesman.
Your right non of us gear heads have ever driven in a reckless manner before and have gotten away with it.

They used very bad judgement that's for sure, but you know nothing about these people so lighten up.

It's a good thing that everyone that has used bad judgement in the past didn't die from it. You'd be very lonely being the only person left on the planet
Old 11-17-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 C43 sedan

What he said
Old 11-17-2016, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Td33
Your right non of us gear heads have ever driven in a reckless manner before and have gotten away with it.

They used very bad judgement that's for sure, but you know nothing about these people so lighten up.

It's a good thing that everyone that has used bad judgement in the past didn't die from it. You'd be very lonely being the only person left on the planet

Some of us have. Clearly. Most of us, you and I for example, have not, to the [fatal] extent that those two genius' did. Also clearly.

But this is all said in digital fun.

FYI, In 1965 I broke my mother's 1964 Ford Country Squire wagon in two across a large maple tree practicing 4-wheel drifts on a country lane. Learned all about snap-oversteer I did. BUT, I was wearing a seat-belt.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:26 AM

Ml63
Some of us have. Clearly. Most of us, you and I for example, have not, to the [fatal] extent that those two genius' did. Also clearly.

FYI, In 1965 I broke my mother's 1964 Ford Country Squire wagon in two across a large maple tree practicing 4-wheel drifts on a country lane. Learned all about snap-oversteer I did. BUT, I was wearing a seat-belt.
I think it comes down to just being lucky and not our time yet.

FYI: after running up numerous flights of stairs and kicking a door in. I first encountered several pit bulls trying to dismember me than a guy pulling a sawed off shot gun out from under a mattress. When I looked back and realized the rest of my team had not made it yet you learn in the end that luck was on my side.

I also learned that the boss should never go first and to assign more young/thin guys to my team in the future haha.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63

Look you are entitled to your opinion but in my assessment some things in life are serious and should NOT be categorized as digital fun.

These guys used poor judgement....the driver for making the fatal driving error and his friend for being a passenger in the car.

I know nothing about the car they were in but apparently in Europe it is a well respected racing car for what it is built to do. I don't think seat belts would have helped either of them one iota since they fell 1,200 feet. I can't imagine what was going through their minds as they fell.

I stand by my initial statement, the end result was a terrible price to pay.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Ml63
Look you are entitled to your opinion but in my assessment some things in life are serious and should NOT be categorized as digital fun.

These guys used poor judgement....the driver for making the fatal driving error and his friend for being a passenger in the car.

I know nothing about the car they were in but apparently in Europe it is a well respected racing car for what it is built to do. I don't think seat belts would have helped either of them one iota since they fell 1,200 feet. I can't imagine what was going through their minds as they fell.

I stand by my initial statement, the end result was a terrible price to pay.

Agreed! Hopefully they are still racing.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
No soap box speach from me, we have all done a stupid thing or ten..or more in our lives pertaining to stupid driving however the no seat belt thing is what gets me. At the bottom of the article there is a photo of the guys car all stickered up like he participates in track day or race events, what sort of moron that has spent actual time on a race track would not wear his seatbelt??? I am not saying that seat belts would have saved them in a 1200 ft plunge but the fact that they were not wearing belts goes to show that the driver probably makes other bad judgement calls as well.

Rant over...
Old 11-17-2016, 02:20 PM

Old 11-17-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
Originally Posted by jrcart
No soap box speach from me, we have all done a stupid thing or ten..or more in our lives pertaining to stupid driving however the no seat belt thing is what gets me. At the bottom of the article there is a photo of the guys car all stickered up like he participates in track day or race events, what sort of moron that has spent actual time on a race track would not wear his seatbelt??? I am not saying that seat belts would have saved them in a 1200 ft plunge but the fact that they were not wearing belts goes to show that the driver probably makes other bad judgement calls as well.

Rant over...
For the sake of accuracy, the photo is of a rental suzuki swift at the nurburgring. Renting one of those for the day is no indicator of ability.

+1 on everything else though.