Sponsored by:

Front Grill Paint and Assembly/Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5
Front Grill Paint and Assembly/Removal

Hi all, new member and poster here. Taking delivery of my new GTS in the next two weeks and couldn't be more excited. It has been hell waiting for it.

I've read several of the threads here where grill replacement/removal has been discussed, but I didn't find a clear answer on how involved that process is. Has anyone here removed the grill or had it repainted? The reason I ask is because even though I spec'd my car (Magnetite Black) with the chrome pack because I like the contrast of the trim around the windows and side vents, I HATE the sparkly grill. I already have the night-pack center crossbar sitting at my house, ready to put on the day the car arrives, but I'm trying to gauge how involved it will be to get the grille painted. I really don't want a body shop tearing apart a brand new car if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts
20 Lamborghini Urus, 2021 G63
I had everything blacked out, from my understanding, it's pretty labor intensive but well worth it! Unless you're advanced in taking apart cars, I wouldn't touch it yourself. I had my grilled wrapped, all the emblems, and powder coated/midnight exhaust/side emblems. Just my two cents, should cost you around $1k-$1,500..
Old 01-18-2017, 08:18 PM

Pics for you

Attached Thumbnails Front Grill Paint and Assembly/Removal-gts-front.jpg   Front Grill Paint and Assembly/Removal-gts-side.jpg   Front Grill Paint and Assembly/Removal-gts-rear.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by AMGBEASTMODE:
sno (07-09-2018), sonystyle02 (01-20-2017), Texas Our Texas (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5
Thanks, CLS. I hadn't thought about powder coating, but I think that is absolutely the way to go. Now I'll just have to find a shop here I can trust to take a brand new car apart and put it back together.

Anyone in the Dallas area have any recommendations?

BTW, I love the look of your car. Yellow isn't for me, but, man, I saw the Sunbeam in person for the first time this past week when I was at the local dealership, and it is the best yellow I have ever seen. Amazingly rich color. All of a sudden it made sense why it was a $10K upgrade. Also, love the look of the back w/o the badges.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:10 PM

If you bought the car from a dealer, usually they'll have some recommendations. Hell, if I was in texas I'd go to Gas Monkey Garage! Thanks for the feedback on the ride, I was weary on the yellow until I saw it in person, definitely not subtle and everyone points at me like WTH is that....... Def have someone very well known tear apart your brand new car.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 MB AMG GTS
Hi. I want to remove just the Star together with its wings from the front grill so I can bring it to a paint shop for de-chroming. Anyone tried this before without taking out the front bumper?

Hopefully there are just tabs that are holding this piece to the front grill. Anyway, appreciate any useful info I can get from you guys. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by garthbo
Hi. I want to remove just the Star together with its wings from the front grill so I can bring it to a paint shop for de-chroming. Anyone tried this before without taking out the front bumper?

Hopefully there are just tabs that are holding this piece to the front grill. Anyway, appreciate any useful info I can get from you guys. Thanks.
Lots and lots of clips, but looks to come out from the front.

Clues here: http://www.chrome-tec.com/Mercedes-A...lack-C190.html
Old 03-23-2017, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
This is what I did and it is a very easy to take them out. The star just rotates counterclock wise for removal. The wings have 2 tabs on top and bottom if I remember correctly and a plastic trim wedge is all you need.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Ive never taken one out but the tabs look like standard MB snap togather assembly. You dont want to break any. But if you do just go buy a new part. As for powdercoating, thats for metal not plastic. You are going to wrap the part with film or have it painted. If you do film they wont even take the part off the car. As for painting, people take brand new cars apart everyday and paint them and you cant even tell. They are professionals and thats what they do.
The following users liked this post:
Cutlass476 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
G63,GT
I just purchased an entirely new front grill in black (from the night package). I will still need to get the chrome 'slats' painted, (as even on the factory night pack),they are chrome. I also purchased the normal star and star housing (I have the distronic solid star, and don't personally like the looks vs. the traditional star, and it will function the same regardless.) anyway, having the fresh new parts out and on the floor in front of me, it appears as if the whole section around the grill will need to be removed. There are around 50 little tabs all around the center bar itself. So getting it out will be the hard part, re-installing it after the fact will be super easy and require no tools.. just pop it in. If anybody would like to see detailed pics of these pieces for reference, just let me know and I'll post them before sending the slats/star out to the painter!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:20 AM

2016 MB AMG GTS

Originally Posted by emericr
This is what I did and it is a very easy to take them out. The star just rotates counterclock wise for removal. The wings have 2 tabs on top and bottom if I remember correctly and a plastic trim wedge is all you need.

So there's no need to remove the entire Star/Wings assembly and I can just take the chrome parts itself (i.e. Star chrome and horizontal chrome slats)?

Is my understanding above correct emericr?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by xcfisher
If anybody would like to see detailed pics of these pieces for reference, just let me know and I'll post them before sending the slats/star out to the painter!
Please

I finally collect my car next Mon/Tue - its silver with chrome styling and would like to change the front grill elements for sure
Old 03-24-2017, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
You got it. It's pretty easy.

I got the parts painted and posted a pic here
https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...d-1-parts.html

So there's no need to remove the entire Star/Wings assembly and I can just take the chrome parts itself (i.e. Star chrome and horizontal chrome slats)?

Is my understanding above correct emericr?

Thanks!
garthbo (03-26-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 01:18 AM

2016 MB AMG GTS
Originally Posted by emericr
You got it. It's pretty easy.

I got the parts painted and posted a pic here
https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...d-1-parts.html

I just tried rotating the Star counter-clockwise and it wouldn't budge even a little bit. Do I have to pop it out before rotating? I can try to put more pressure in rotating but I'm afraid I might break it.

Still need to work on the wings too but looks like I need proper trim removal tools for this.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
It will snap out. You have to wiggle it and put pressure but it will come out.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 129 Likes on 58 Posts
18 Avent. S, 18 GTS, 17 Cali T, 20 C8, 20 M850
Here is a YouTube video on removing the star, but I am still unable to remove the wings.
BBS63 (05-01-2023)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts
18 AMG GTR . 18 Tacoma . 02 BMW M3 (the sickness)

I just wrapped mine. Came out great!
The following 2 users liked this post by triblk6spd:
Jorge Siverio (02-28-2020), Keon (02-29-2020)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Audi R8 V10+, Range Rover Autobio, Ram TRX
I just tried rotating the Star counter-clockwise and it wouldn't budge even a little bit. Do I have to pop it out before rotating? I can try to put more pressure in rotating but I'm afraid I might break it.

Still need to work on the wings too but looks like I need proper trim removal tools for this.

Thanks!
Hey Garthbo, curious if you were able to get this done? I am running into the same issue. I am giving the star a solid turn counterclockwise and nothing.

Trying to replace the wings (mine is silver) for night package.

Triblk, nice job with the wrap! Do it yourself? I suppose this is my back up plan if I cannot get wings off without breaking something. What color black vinyl did you use?
Old 07-06-2018, 01:36 PM

Thread reboot, anyone have further info on getting the star and/or wings removed?

Originally Posted by gunnyosu
Hey Garthbo, curious if you were able to get this done? I am running into the same issue. I am giving the star a solid turn counterclockwise and nothing.

Triblk, nice job with the wrap! Do it yourself? I suppose this is my back up plan if I cannot get wings off without breaking something. What color black vinyl did you use?
Jorge Siverio (03-01-2020)
Old 07-07-2018, 12:31 AM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
The star I've removed before. You just rotate it counterclockwise and then you can pull it out easily. It takes quite a bit of force to rotate it. I'm not sure about the wings though.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:09 PM

2016 MB AMG GTS

Hi sorry for the late reply. Haven't been logging in since I sold my GTS a few months ago. Anyhow, I was never able to remove the star and the wings. The star just wouldn't move at all and the wings I just wrapped it with some dark tint.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:34 AM

Thanks guys-

Ronac, I gave is some decent force but star doesn't seem to want to budge when rotating.

Garthbo, thanks for responding even after selling your GTS, the wings looked really good vinyl-wrapped. This may be my next plan. What did you move on to btw?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
It definitely requires more force than you would think to loosen up the star. That's how it comes out, it's just a matter of if you want to apply that force on it since it feels like you may break it.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 PM

2016 MB AMG GTS
Thanks guys-

Ronac, I gave is some decent force but star doesn't seem to want to budge when rotating.

Garthbo, thanks for responding even after selling your GTS, the wings looked really good vinyl-wrapped. This may be my next plan. What did you move on to btw?
Here's how my GTS looked like when the wings were vinyl-wrapped. Easy to peel it off if you're not happy with it. But I do think it looks better with the wings blacked out and the star still in chrome.

The following 2 users liked this post by garthbo:
Jorge Siverio (02-28-2020), ronac (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 PM

2016 MB AMG GTS
Thanks guys-

And since you asked, I replaced the GTS with a 488 Spider. I must say that I miss my GTS terribly. While the 488 is great in many ways, the GTS would better suit my needs living here in the Philippines. With the traffic and road conditions in Manila, the 488 can only be used in weekends and holidays. The GTS being a GT car is more practical around the streets where I live. Here's a couple of pics:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front Grill Paint and Assembly/Removal