Sponsored by:

Second Batch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
Second Batch

I was just told by MBUSA's rep that a second batch of GTRs are about to be released. I was not very happy that I didn't get one as part of the first batch but thus is life...

Question I have for everyone is how many people are getting the carbon ceramic brakes?

With the exception of that option, I'm pretty set on what I want.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Bolaber
I was just told by MBUSA's rep that a second batch of GTRs are about to be released. I was not very happy that I didn't get one as part of the first batch but thus is life...

Question I have for everyone is how many people are getting the carbon ceramic brakes?

To answer your question NO on the Carbon Brakes. I won't be tracking my GTR so no because the standard brakes are very good on the street and don't cost a small fortune to replace like the carbon ones do.

Now questions for you;
1. release the second batch.... to where and when?
2. Do they know the MSRP yet?
3. What does he know about the current status of the first batch?

Regards
Old 01-28-2017, 09:13 PM

S550
Originally Posted by JSwan724
To answer your question NO on the Carbon Brakes. I won't be tracking my GTR so no because the standard brakes are very good on the street and don't cost a small fortune to replace like the carbon ones do.

Now questions for you;

Regards
1. Second batch to all the dealerships
2. No on the MSRP
3. What do you want to know about the first batch? All the dealerships already have what they have in Netstar. It won't be until the release of the second batch will they know when and how many they will get.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GTR (sadly now sold)+991.2 GT3 RS+GT3 Touring+991 GTS+997 GT3 RS+996 GT3 RS+964 RS+Mini Cooper S

Now questions for you;

Regards
It's a urban myth to say if you are going to track the car then you should get ceramic brakes. I wont be getting ceramic brakes precisely because I will be tracking the car.

I come from the Porsche world where most of us more serious track rats do not get ceramic brakes because of the potential replacement cost. If you are running a race programme, sure you run ceramic brakes, but weekend track guys like me tend to mostly run iron brakes. I have run iron brakes on GT3s lap after lap for the last two years with absolutely no fade.

Indeed, there are more potential down sides to ceramics than up.
- they are extremely expensive to replace
- they tend to squeak when cold
- first applications when cold tend to very grabby until warm

EVO magazine recently ran a test between ceramics and iron brakes on the same car, on the same day and the results showed that there was no difference between the stopping distance of the two after 10 crash stops from 100mph. In fact, the first crash stops on the iron brakes were shorter. Only after 14-15 consecutive crash stops did the ceramcis start to show an advantage and you don't do consecutive crash stops on the race track.

So IMHO, ceramics are total waste of money. If you are a total obsessive compulsive about dust free wheels, then get them, otherwise, save your money.
The following users liked this post:
emericr (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:43 AM

S550
Oops
Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 AM

S550
Originally Posted by GTR3693
It's a urban myth to say if you are going to track the car then you should get ceramic brakes. I wont be getting ceramic brakes precisely because I will be tracking the car.

I come from the Porsche world where most of us more serious track rats do not get ceramic brakes because of the potential replacement cost. If you are running a race programme, sure you run ceramic brakes, but weekend track guys like me tend to mostly run iron brakes. I have run iron brakes on GT3s lap after lap for the last two years with absolutely no fade.

EVO magazine recently ran a test between ceramics and iron brakes on the same car, on the same day and the results showed that there was no difference between the stopping distance of the two after 10 crash stops from 100mph. In fact, the first crash stops on the iron brakes were shorter. Only after 14-15 consecutive crash stops did the ceramcis start to show an advantage and you don't do consecutive crash stops on the race track.

So IMHO, ceramics are total waste of money. If you are a total obsessive compulsive about dust free wheels, then get them, otherwise, save your money.
Love your response. Thanks for saving me $10k!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:23 AM

AMG GTR (sadly now sold)+991.2 GT3 RS+GT3 Touring+991 GTS+997 GT3 RS+996 GT3 RS+964 RS+Mini Cooper S
For those of you who are interested, here are the test results. The car tested was an F-Type Jaguar
Attached Thumbnails Second Batch-ceramic-ve-iron-brakes-evo-f-type-jaguar.png  
Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63

Members like you are one of the major reasons I participate in this forum.

I get to learn from your experiences about topics where I have little or no experience. THANK YOU for sharing!!

Porsche as compared to Mercedes is an area where there are many here who have both and can share with many here who are like me.

Regards
Old 01-29-2017, 07:45 PM

S550
Members like you are one of the major reasons I participate in this forum.

I get to learn from your experiences about topics where I have little or no experience. THANK YOU for sharing!!

Porsche as compared to Mercedes is an area where there are many here who have both and can share with many here who are like me.

Regards
Amen!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?

I wish you tried the CCBs in the E63, I would bet that you would change your mind.

I have cars with steel and CCBs; and I would agree with that in a P car (which I own), CCBs are an over kill.

On the other hand for whatever reason in MB's CCBs are quite an improvement from steel. Maybe because the difference is curb weight?

It would be a good idea to drive a AMG GTs with and without then make your choice.

Breaks, suspension, clutches, tires and tire pressure are all about how they feel to you, kind of like a seat.

Before spending $200K test drive a comparable car, I would get a P car without CCBs any day, but no way I would buy an AMG without CCBs.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Astolfo
I wish you tried the CCBs in the E63, I would bet that you would change your mind.

I have cars with steel and CCBs; and I would agree with that in a P car (which I own), CCBs are an over kill.

On the other hand for whatever reason in MB's CCBs are quite an improvement from steel. Maybe because the difference is curb weight?

It would be a good idea to drive a AMG GTs with and without then make your choice.

Breaks, suspension, clutches, tires and tire pressure are all about how they feel to you, kind of like a seat.

Before spending $200K test drive a comparable car, I would get a P car without CCBs any day, but no way I would buy an AMG without CCBs.
Curb weight of Jag is much closer to an E Class than a Porsche GT3 so I think the EVO comparison is valid unless of course you are implying that somehow Iron brakes on AMGs are inferior to Jags and Porsches.

Indeed, EVery imperical test I have seen clearly shows that any perceived advantage of ceramic over iron brakes inside of 10+ crash stops is purely in the mind. In fact tyres have more of an influence on braking distance than any difference between iron and ceramic brakes.

BTW, nice avatar!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:04 AM

Just one more comment on the ceramic vs iron debate...if you are one of these people who like to take you own wheels on/off, etc....and if you get ceramics....just be very, very careful when you do....because is you accidentally hit your disc during the process, you are potentially toast because ceramics disks chip soooo much easier that iron brake.

As I said, more downs than ups.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes C200 CGI, CLS350, CLA45 AMG, AMG GTS(ordered)
Just an alternative view on this debate.

CCB significantly reduces unsprung weight and I am staying away from that debate.

My GTS ED1 has the Racing Brakes CCB kit using the OEM calipers. The ceramic rotors can be repaired at a reasonable cost and I still have my OEM rotors and pads.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ddtung
Just an alternative view on this debate.

CCB significantly reduces unsprung weight and I am staying away from that debate.

My GTS ED1 has the Racing Brakes CCB kit using the OEM calipers. The ceramic rotors can be repaired at a reasonable cost and I still have my OEM rotors and pads.
Yes, you are correct, ceramics reduce unstrung weight which has a marginal improvement on ride and steering but not on braking distance. Why did you go to after market rotors?? Was it, as you imply, a concern about the replacement cost of the OEM rotors? If so, another good argument for Iron brakes.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes C200 CGI, CLS350, CLA45 AMG, AMG GTS(ordered)
Read my post as it is. I did not imply anything and you are repeating yourself.
Promise (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes AMG GT S 2015 Porsche GT3
Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of pads to use for the track on the GT S? I had to replace the stock Porsche pads on my GT 3 to get the right braking and expect that I will need more aggressive ones for the GT S
Old 01-31-2017, 04:55 PM

porsche 2017 991.2 TS,GTR amg gla 45 amg 45 amg ,ordering 2019 GTR R cpe
What about the PITA...ceramic burnishing,seating..pad,rotor.....procedure...meth od.???
If you don't follow procedure....there may be issues,how the brakes function...
Old 01-31-2017, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by NACHE
What about the PITA...ceramic burnishing,seating..pad,rotor.....procedure...meth od.???
If you don't follow procedure....there may be issues,how the brakes function...
When we were at AMG road atl guys there claim there was no set procedure as there are in Porsche ceramics.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:19 PM

porsche 2017 991.2 TS,GTR amg gla 45 amg 45 amg ,ordering 2019 GTR R cpe
That may be....."no set(MB-GT,s,r procedure)"....I was eluding to the Porsche CCB brakes.
My current Porsche is a 2017-TTS....& that break-in experience,therein...is ARDUOUS,
to say the least.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:30 PM

Mercedes AMG GT S 2015 Porsche GT3
The GT3 has Brembos and the break-in is happening regularly since pads only last a few track weekends. Not an issue. With CCBs you are correct. Track guys generally prefer steel, unless you are sponsored!! I just need to know: 1) what pads are available and, maybe 2) what other models have the same pad measurements. Amazing how hard it is to get this info from Mercedes

Last edited by janstuart; 01-31-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by janstuart
The GT3 has Brembos and the break-in is happening regularly since pads only last a few track weekends. Not an issue. With CCBs you are correct. Track guys generally prefer steel, unless you are sponsored!! I just need to know: 10 what pads are available and, maybe 2) what other models have the same pad measurements. Amazing how hard it is to get this info from Mercedes
That's because it will be a 3rd party. Check out Racing brake as DDTUNG suggested. They offer the best all around track package available on mercedes currently.
janstuart (01-31-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 04:24 PM

458 spider / 991 turbo s
Originally Posted by Bolaber

There is no wrong choice here, anyone who tells you otherwise is kidding themselves. People who track a lot tend to not get CCBs because of the costs. However, I prefer the feel of CCBs even at low speeds, I like that they are grabby. As for the squeaky sounds, I have had zero experience with that with my 458 and I have been driving it throughout the winter. I know some people on here swear by the CCBs for Merc, and I personally wouldn't own a sports car without them, but that's because I genuinely prefer them. I suggest trying out a Merc with CCBs and seeing how it compares. No wrong choice here.