Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GT C Roadster

Old 02-14-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster - About to pre-order
AMG GT C Roadster

After a ton of research I'm ready to make a deposit on a pre-order of the GT C Roadster. I am curious however about my ability to negotiate the deal, as my dealer has suggested the car will sell at MSRP and didn't seem interested in negotiating. I'm willing to pay a bit more to get the car when they ship late year, but is MSRP realistic? Please elaborate if you've been through this process.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Texas6
After a ton of research I'm ready to make a deposit on a pre-order of the GT C Roadster. I am curious however about my ability to negotiate the deal, as my dealer has suggested the car will sell at MSRP and didn't seem interested in negotiating. I'm willing to pay a bit more to get the car when they ship late year, but is MSRP realistic? Please elaborate if you've been through this process.
This will be a premium car and will be supply constrained for all first year production. Much like the S coupe convertible, these are cars that dealers will want to make profits on.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
Go Dawgs (09-01-2022), Texas6 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 08:02 AM

I was afraid of that; but wanted to be sure before plopping down the money for my pre-order deposit
Old 02-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Personally anyone paying msrp or more for a car that is not a numbered or limited production car should have their head examined. Not only is the dealer kicking you in the nuts, but you get it twice, in the same day, the minute you drive off the lot.

There is nothing special about this car that would demand msrp or more!

Now if you don't care about money than just pay the number they want and don't look back.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride when you get it.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 337 Likes on 192 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
These cars will be few and far between and most dealers will charge more than MSRP and get it. It's just how it works. I want to get one also - when my lease is up on my GTS. I will consider myself lucky to be pay MSRP. When the GTS first came out the dealers in my area were charging way over sticker and getting it.

Some will think it foolish to even pay MSRP. The point is: do you have the money, is it the car you want. Foolish for me is postponing dreams when they can be realized now.
The following 3 users liked this post by California John:
Go Dawgs (09-01-2022), Katie22 (09-01-2022), Texas6 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:04 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by California John
These cars will be few and far between and most dealers will charge more than MSRP and get it. It's just how it works. I want to get one also - when my lease is up on my GTS. I will consider myself lucky to be pay MSRP. When the GTS first came out the dealers in my area were charging way over sticker and getting it.

Some will think it foolish to even pay MSRP. The point is: do you have the money, is it the car you want. Foolish for me is postponing dreams when they can be realized now.
Well good for you. If I had your money I'd burn mine haha. I sent the OP a PM after I spoke with the managing partner of my MB dealer today. He has one coming in and two open slots to build and will be happy to take care of him or anyone and not at MSRP.

Maybe you just feel better paying more
The following users liked this post:
Texas6 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
they will always ask for list or more for anybody that wants the latest and the greatest. But if you were a say good customer, they would always give some discounts as good will. I would say if you shop around, every dealer can order that car and some would be willing to have a sure sale as opposed to getting a car in and having it sit in the showeroom for a few weeks
Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 AM

Thx guys, I appreciate the feedback - no, I do not like the idea of paying MSRP, and I'm early enough in the process that paying over MSRP is not a problem I'll have. But based on the low volume of these going out to dealerships in that early production run, I do think many will be forced to pay over MSRP for a car. But as of this moment, my MB dealer can't even get an exact price on the car. I'm just running to the bullet so to speak. But he dos have my deposit check to secure my spot, I will haggle regardless
Go Dawgs (09-01-2022)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:08 AM

Ml63
Thx guys, I appreciate the feedback - no, I do not like the idea of paying MSRP, and I'm early enough in the process that paying over MSRP is not a problem I'll have. But based on the low volume of these going out to dealerships in that early production run, I do think many will be forced to pay over MSRP for a car. But as of this moment, my MB dealer can't even get an exact price on the car. I'm just running to the bullet so to speak. But he dos have my deposit check to secure my spot, I will haggle regardless
I sent you a PM with the info you asked for.

Good luck and enjoy the process and the car
Texas6 (02-15-2017)
Old 08-30-2022, 09:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
X

Last edited by Pennetta; 09-01-2022 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 08-30-2022, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Pennetta
A lot of the benefit of getting the “new” model is that you are not seeing the same car on the street often. I’m not apposed as much to AMG selling over sticker as much as Honda Accords selling over sticker.

But even in this tough consumer market remember best buying practices from before- go to dealer at the last few days of the month when they are trying to make sales quotas for new allocations. Start discussions at the dealer cost price, not MSRP. Use any other dealer which is selling at MSRP even if it may be further away from you than you would like- I usually say I live here but work near that other dealer selling at a lower price showing there is a probability of buying it there.
Stay calm and respectful. My wife has little say in the make/model or price of my cars but in negotiating with the dealer I make her the bad guy. I ask the sales guy to help me buy the car for the price I want and she would approve.
Posted in the wrong thread? This one is 5 years old...
Go Dawgs (08-30-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 08:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Posted in the wrong thread? This one is 5 years old...
I did notice that after I posted it and then posted it in the thread that I was originally intending to do it. I just deleted it here
Old 01-17-2023, 07:40 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
SL65(R231), SL65(R230), 600SL, 560SL(86), 560SL(89),250SL(68),250SL(67), 190SL, 300SL(GW)
Gee.......who could have predicted this??? Car inventory is growing, sales are down—dealers may soon need to offer discounts (msn.com
Supply and demand is influenced by myriad factors including economic strength/weakness, interest rates for those that don't write a check, .and post initial demand of a new model
The dealers had record profit years for 2021 and 2022.........the party is over for 2023. Lots of R232 inventory floating around.......only to grow.

The upper management at MB, should fire most of the SL engineering/design and marketing teams for the cascade of poor decisions. When the major magazines that depend on ad revenue flame the SL, the SL is in trouble.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:24 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Mike P

The upper management at MB, should fire most of the SL engineering/design and marketing teams for the cascade of poor decisions. When the major magazines that depend on ad revenue flame the SL, the SL is in trouble.
Public opinion is different though. Everyone is gaga over this SL.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 435 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Public opinion is different though. Everyone is gaga over this SL.
Most of the reviews I have seen said it's a pass.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Most of the reviews I have seen said it's a pass.
Reviews are usually done by professionals so I am not surprised but when I say public it is based on social media comments and I mean a lot of comments.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 337 Likes on 192 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Reviews are usually done by professionals so I am not surprised but when I say public it is based on social media comments and I mean a lot of comments.
I had a GTC vert for 3 years. The SL63 is all that and more. Faster, more versatile, much more able to be dialed in on the specifics with endless user settings to make it the way YOU want it. Much more information about the car and what it is doing is available. Some don't like it for this reason and that reason - but most of those haven't spent time with it. And it certainly isn't the car for many. But it is very very fast and able to corner even faster than my GTC on my favorite skidpad freeway transition. I lived with a GTS for a couple of years and then my GTC for three years. Most of the people who don't like the car don't have that sort of background. Some like coffee some like tea. But no need to trash either. I've owned the SL63 for 5 months.
The following 5 users liked this post by California John:
AndrewFerg (01-18-2023), JSwan724 (01-17-2023), KenGross (01-18-2023), thebishman (01-18-2023), Wolfman (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 11:29 AM

Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
I had a GTC vert for 3 years. The SL63 is all that and more. Faster, more versatile, much more able to be dialed in on the specifics with endless user settings to make it the way YOU want it. Much more information about the car and what it is doing is available. Some don't like it for this reason and that reason - but most of those haven't spent time with it. And it certainly isn't the car for many. But it is very very fast and able to corner even faster than my GTC on my favorite skidpad freeway transition. I lived with a GTS for a couple of years and then my GTC for three years. Most of the people who don't like the car don't have that sort of background. Some like coffee some like tea. But no need to trash either. I've owned the SL63 for 5 months.
Thanks for the real world feedback. It's obvious that the SL 63 is an amazing car. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and for these eyes - it doesn't quite make it. Plus I continue to love a squirrely back end that I can snap out anytime I want to. The all-wheel drive of the SL is very purposeful, and certainly helps the 0 to 60 acceleration confidence, but at the cost of old-school driving pleasure and 470 extra pounds. Personally, I think it's best not to really compare the two. If I were considering an SL63, I'd be comparing it to the 911 turbo not anything in the Mercedes line up. I'm glad you love yours - and can afford one!
Orcbolg (01-19-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:50 PM

Also bear in mind most reviews are comparing this to previous SLs. In that regards this one comes way ahead.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 435 Posts
AMG
Also bear in mind most reviews are comparing this to previous SLs. In that regards this one comes way ahead.
This, it seems like an excellent SL replacement, but a poor GTC replacement.

Mercedes lost me as a future customer, with this car. Bloated, AWD, engine no longer behind the front axle, most of the controls in an ipad. The opposite of what drew me to the previous GT lineup. My wife said it's cute, and liked that it has a surround camera, so there's that.

Last edited by Orcbolg; 01-19-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
I believe what we all appreciate about our GT cars, is that they were different and that they were edgy on design. We didn’t get here looking for commercially diluted and mainstream accepted autos.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
garymac (01-19-2023), Orcbolg (01-19-2023)