Sponsored by:

My Bad: Checking the Oil Level with a Cold Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 239 Likes on 152 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
My Bad: Checking the Oil Level with a Cold Engine

Please forgive me if there has been discussion of this (I couldn't find it) and for most of you "long-time" GT/GTS owners probably know all this, but as a new owner, it was a surprise for me to learn of the seemingly unusual procedure for checking engine oil level. Because of the dry sump on our vehicles and unlike every car I have ever owned, oil level is mainly checked with the engine at normal operating temperature and only during specific times after shut down.

With my recently purchased CPO GT S and given some of the posts on excessive oil consumption, I decided to check the oil on my coupe. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of checking with a cold engine and added a quart which I had to vacuum out after receiving the message, "Reduce Engine Oil Level."

If you have not checked the Owner's Manual (as I had not), suggest you look at this procedure -- page 201 - 203 in my paper manual, page 228 - 230 in the on-line manual.

When the engine is hot, the reservoir tank by the left front fender where the dipstick is located fills with oil and drains when the engine is cold. (Where does the oil go?) So checking the oil level with the dipstick when the engine is cold indicates low oil, as much as a quart. I'm still trying to figure out the use of the computer with a cold engine -- even if that is possible.

The manuals are confusing and inconsistent:

* Pages 201 my hard copy Owner's Manual says, "It is only possible to correctly measure the oil level when... the engine is left running in neutral for at least 30 seconds before switching off. This applies when checking...using the oil dipstick or on-board computer and when the engine is cold or at normal operating temperature."

* Also on page 201, "It is only possible... when the engine is at normal operating temperature and in a period of 1 to 15 minutes after the engine has been switched off."

* My paper Manual on page 203 says WRT the waiting period using the computer, "If the engine is at normal operating temperature, after 15 minutes it is no longer possible to take measurements. If the engine is not at normal operating temperature, measurements can only be taken in a period between 10 and 20 minutes after the engine has been switched off."

* The on-line manual says for checking via the dipstick, "It is only possible to correctly measure the oil level with the oil dipstick when the engine is at normal operating temperature and in a period of 2 to minutes after the engine has been switched off." Huh! something is missing -- "2 to minutes"?

* The on-line manual says for checking via the on-board computer, "The engine must be at regular operating temperature. It is only possible to make a correct measurement within the first 4 minutes after the engine has been switched off."

So I am still struggling to figure this out and to find the best procedure for checking the oil level -- probably with a hot engine and shortly after shutdown.

Perhaps this post may alert you to this situation if you have not yet encountered it and have not needed to check your oil level.

Last edited by slk55er; 04-02-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S Edition 1
slk55er,

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it's an important piece of information I wanted to add.

The owner's manuals in the early release GTS have a misprint on oil volume of 9.x quarts. It should be 7.3 quarts for an oil/filter change!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg gtc
Overconsumption engine oil AMG GTC

Hi,
i have an issue with my amg gtc I’ve had it for like 3 years now. One time I traveled 160 miles and the engine oil light turned on I added some oil took it to the dealer they said nothing was wrong but after that every time I travel above 200 miles I consume around 2L of oil. I drive the car quite hard sport+ and I push it to around 190. I took it to the dealer a few times we did the tests nothing was wrong with the car. I’m guessing now if I’m not the one who doesn’t know how to check the oil, because I check it in the morning before turning the car on and on the computer it says add 2 liter of oil.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:53 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Omar Chraibi
Hi,
i have an issue with my amg gtc I’ve had it for like 3 years now. One time I traveled 160 miles and the engine oil light turned on I added some oil took it to the dealer they said nothing was wrong but after that every time I travel above 200 miles I consume around 2L of oil. I drive the car quite hard sport+ and I push it to around 190. I took it to the dealer a few times we did the tests nothing was wrong with the car. I’m guessing now if I’m not the one who doesn’t know how to check the oil, because I check it in the morning before turning the car on and on the computer it says add 2 liter of oil.
I drive the car for awhile, minimum 20-30 minutes, then park on a flat surface turn car off. Wait 30 seconds. Foot off pedal, hit start button, then select check engine oil form the menu.
The following users liked this post:
California John (08-15-2020)