Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear: New review of GT R

Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GTR (sadly now sold)+991.2 GT3 RS+GT3 Touring+991 GTS+997 GT3 RS+996 GT3 RS+964 RS+Mini Cooper S
Top Gear: New review of GT R

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/.../first-drive-0
Old 04-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
S63 , AMG GTC '18
Is he a serious reviewer? I know that British car aficionados try hard to be quirky and witty but:
- "a vehicle with the visibility of a nuclear submarine"
- "the GT S, with its dynamic engines mounts and adaptive suspension, is severely rigid. Even dialled back into Comfort mode, it mocks its ‘Gran Turismo’ badge. It ought to stand for Greatly Tiresome. "
- "AMG Green Hell Magno matte paint, so lurid you half-expect to lick the bonnet and discover it’s sour lime flavour. " Erm, ok.
- "Yes, that price bump is hefty for what a few will snark is a two-seat C63 spin-off wearing an aerofoil."

Did he actually drive the car or was he just paid to write 1000 words?
Old 04-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
-"The standard car’s one for the poseurs. This is one for the drivers".
This dude is funny, I think the article is entertaining,but has very good points, obviously he is not a fan of the GT or GTs. Funny that he compares the GTs to a Hellcat more than a Porsche 911. Glad to hear(again) that the GTr is the real deal and a car not to be messed with on the street or track, and that it is greatly improved over its lesser siblings.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 04-07-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
S63 , AMG GTC '18
Originally Posted by RobbieRob
-"The standard car’s one for the poseurs. This is one for the drivers".
This dude is funny, I think the article is entertaining and has very good points, obviously he is not a fan of the GT or GTs. Funny that he compares the GTs to a Hellcat more than a Porsche 911. Glad to hear(again) that the GTr is the real deal and a car not to be messed with on the street or track, and that it is greatly improved over its lesser siblings.
If only it were entirely true, his comments about the GTS are ridiculous. The GTS is a great car by all means, and this isn't me going fanboy on it. Implying that the GTS is a car for posers, with 522 HP and a sound to match? Please...
Old 04-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
The only person associated with Top Gear that should be legally permitted to pen reviews, or for that matter even be allowed near a motor vehicle, is Chris Harris.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (04-10-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by soulsea
The only person associated with Top Gear that should be legally permitted to pen reviews, or for that matter even be allowed near a motor vehicle, is Chris Harris.
THIS. ^^^^^^

WTH is Ollie Kew??

And he reallly liked the GT! Especially the improvements over the SLS chassis wise.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 04-06-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
Originally Posted by mvb3
If only it were entirely true, his comments about the GTS are ridiculous. The GTS is a great car by all means, and this isn't me going fanboy on it. Implying that the GTS is a car for posers, with 522 HP and a sound to match? Please...
I respectfully disagree. I have a GT S and find his remarks pretty much right on, albeit tongue-in-cheek. I like my car, but note the same qualities and characteristics he does. Where I get off his bus is rationalizing that whatever improvements the R variant brings to road use justifies another $50K in purchase price. I think that's where the poseurs will be found.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by rsalco
I respectfully disagree. I have a GT S and find his remarks pretty much right on, albeit tongue-in-cheek. I like my car, but note the same qualities and characteristics he does. Where I get off his bus is rationalizing that whatever improvements the R variant brings to road use justifies another $50K in purchase price. I think that's where the poseurs will be found.
I agree with the last sentence, most GTr owners will probably never track their cars which is what that car is made for. Most will just show up at the local Cars and Coffee outings to pose..lol. It sucks, because the R is a beast on the track from all early reporting and owners should really get on the track to learn what these cars can do. RSALCO, Do you think it will end up being 50k difference, when all said and done, between the GTs and the GTr?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
I agree with the last sentence, most GTr owners will probably never track their cars which is what that car is made for. Most will just show up at the local Cars and Coffee outings to pose..lol. It sucks, because the R is a beast on the track from all early reporting and owners should really get on the track to learn what these cars can do. RSALCO, Do you think it will end up being 50k difference, when all said and done, between the GTs and the GTr?
Dunno.....too early to tell what the real purchase price of the 'R' will be. That the first production run is sold out is meaningless; those are largely dealer sales. Time will tell what the cars go for to consumers. The '16 GT S was 'sold out' too...I picked mine up at a decent discount off a dealer's lot.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I was just reading that the AMG GTR dispatched the prior track record of the 911 GT3 RS on the Contidrom in Hannover, Germany. 1:26:46

At least in Germany I see nothing but glowing write-ups for its performance.
It's a short track but the car was over 8 seconds faster than the AMG GTS

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/contidrom
Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/contidrom[/QUOTE]

Doesn't add up. Most tracks the GT-S is within a second or so of a 991 turbo.
Could be conditions (wet) or my mom driving.
Jimmy
Old 04-12-2017, 03:47 PM

AMG GTR (sadly now sold)+991.2 GT3 RS+GT3 Touring+991 GTS+997 GT3 RS+996 GT3 RS+964 RS+Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by Jim Brady

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/contidrom
Jimmy[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...not sure where you are getting your stats from. The GTS is nearly always 4-5 seconds behind a 991 Turbo at most tracks. For example, EVO magazine fastest laps, lists the GTS as 4 secs slower around Angelsey.

Indeed, its only 0.6 secs faster than a regular 991 Carrera S. The reality is the GTS is no track car. The only one I have ever seen at a track overheated after 8-10 laps and had to stop.

I am expecting the GTR will be a completely different beast and I aim to find out in September when I hit the track with my car. In fact, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I am taking it to Porsche in Leipzig in September for a two day driving course on their test track. I will most likely be the only non-Porsche car there. Should be fun.
muhri (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Originally Posted by GTR3693
Jimmy
Hmmm...not sure where you are getting your stats from. The GTS is nearly always 4-5 seconds behind a 991 Turbo at most tracks. For example, EVO magazine fastest laps, lists the GTS as 4 secs slower around Angelsey.

Indeed, its only 0.6 secs faster than a regular 991 Carrera S. The reality is the GTS is no track car. The only one I have ever seen at a track overheated after 8-10 laps and had to stop.

I am expecting the GTR will be a completely different beast and I aim to find out in September when I hit the track with my car. In fact, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I am taking it to Porsche in Leipzig in September for a two day driving course on their test track. I will most likely be the only non-Porsche car there. Should be fun.[/QUOTE]

that sounds like a whole lot of fun
Old 04-12-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by muhri
.........I am expecting the GTR will be a completely different beast and I aim to find out in September when I hit the track with my car. In fact, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I am taking it to Porsche in Leipzig in September for a two day driving course on their test track. I will most likely be the only non-Porsche car there. Should be fun.
that sounds like a whole lot of fun [/QUOTE]

Yes, it will. I have been out to the Porsche test track at Leipzig 9 times already to do a range of Porsche Driving courses. Invariably there is one, maybe two, dudes who bring something other than Porsche to drive. I have seen a Mclaren 650S, an Audi R8 and even an Aventador SV. There is no push back if it's not a Porsche. Indeed, you are most welcome to take anything you like. I have always taken a Porsche but this time I will take the GTR. My brother is taking the GT3.
muhri (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:37 PM

I agree. My GT S is a pale shadow of my C6Z T1 Vette on-track at the Glen. A great street car, but no track star. Of course that depends a great deal on the driver; one might never be able to explore the Vette's limits, another may be able to overcome the GT S's weaknesses. For me, I am more comfortable in the 'Vette and therefore faster than I am in the 'Benz. Disclosure: my Corvette is fully prepped to SCCA T1 race specs by Pheonix Performance race shop in PA. If I were to do similar (where?) to the GT, my opinion might well change.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GTR3693
Jimmy

I am expecting the GTR will be a completely different beast and I aim to find out in September when I hit the track with my car. In fact, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I am taking it to Porsche in Leipzig in September for a two day driving course on their test track. I will most likely be the only non-Porsche car there. Should be fun.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-13-2017, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am expecting the GTR will be a completely different beast and I aim to find out in September when I hit the track with my car. In fact, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I am taking it to Porsche in Leipzig in September for a two day driving course on their test track. I will most likely be the only non-Porsche car there. Should be fun.
[/QUOTE]

Motor Trend July '15 had a head to head test with Randy Pobst driving same day, same conditions same driver less than a second verses 991 trubo S. Also had a GTR Nissan far back. Later MT test was within several tenths.

No doubt the GTR will be quicker I'm thinking 3 seconds at Willow. Can't wait to see how it compares.. head to head.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 337 Likes on 192 Posts
2022 AMG SL63

Motor Trend July '15 had a head to head test with Randy Pobst driving same day, same conditions same driver less than a second verses 991 trubo S. Also had a GTR Nissan far back. Later MT test was within several tenths.

No doubt the GTR will be quicker I'm thinking 3 seconds at Willow. Can't wait to see how it compares.. head to head.
Pobst ran a 127.04 at Willow. I can't believe the GTR would turn a 124.04. That would be too unbelievable. For a person whose home track for quite a while was Willow flailing a S2 DB2, Pobst's 127.04 spun my head around. But three more seconds? I would love to see it...but damn, that would be just about running flat out through turn 9. Anyway, I hope you're right Jim.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by California John
Pobst ran a 127.04 at Willow. I can't believe the GTR would turn a 124.04. That would be too unbelievable. For a person whose home track for quite a while was Willow flailing a S2 DB2, Pobst's 127.04 spun my head around. But three more seconds? I would love to see it...but damn, that would be just about running flat out through turn 9. Anyway, I hope you're right Jim.
My home track too. The aero will make the difference through turn eight and I believe a GTR will pull 130+ and will do 1:24. Pro driver thought.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
My home track too. The aero will make the difference through turn eight and I believe a GTR will pull 130+ and will do 1:24. Pro driver thought.
I looked at the video again with Pobst driving. He pulled 142 in turn 8 but slowed to about 95 at the end of 9. I just don't see getting another 3 seconds. However, even though Willow is a high horsepower track, with the extra aero he might be able to keep more speed through the corners and get some more speed...and power a little faster out of 6 through 8. The rear wheel steering won't help rotate the car as it doesn't work at track speeds.

Pobst is a terrific driver at Willow. He really knows how to get the most out of the car. Very controlled and confident and likes to dance on the edge. Much faster than the regular "ham and egger."

Here is the video:

Last edited by California John; 04-14-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CA John,
Thanks for the video. I saw 133 at the end of 8 going into nine and that's without a huge wing!
Since we're bench racing I gave this some thought. As a comparison Pobst did a 1:25 dead in a C7Z06 at WSIR. The GT-R will have a combination of improvements that will cut the lap time.
Aero at least as good as the Z's, R's better transmission, tires to handle the up rated torque, stiffer chassis with rear wheel steering, and last but not least 9 stage traction control. Given the GT-R extraordinary result at the Nordschleife it will match a Vett at Willow and then some.

The 1:27.07 of the GT-S at WSIR for the haters information is faster than a 991 turbo S, GT3, McLaren 570S, Audi R8 v-10 performance. Not exactly a slug.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
CA John,
Thanks for the video. I saw 133 at the end of 8 going into nine and that's without a huge wing!
Since we're bench racing I gave this some thought. As a comparison Pobst did a 1:25 dead in a C7Z06 at WSIR. The GT-R will have a combination of improvements that will cut the lap time.
Aero at least as good as the Z's, R's better transmission, tires to handle the up rated torque, stiffer chassis with rear wheel steering, and last but not least 9 stage traction control. Given the GT-R extraordinary result at the Nordschleife it will match a Vett at Willow and then some.

The 1:27.07 of the GT-S at WSIR for the haters information is faster than a 991 turbo S, GT3, McLaren 570S, Audi R8 v-10 performance. Not exactly a slug.
Haters gotta hate. Anything that doesn't fit the narrative is rejected.

127 for a comfy street car like the GTS at Willow is just a monstrous time...no doubt. For those of us who used to drive spec cars (in my case 140 hp in line 4 cyl Pinto engine - with a minimum 1320 weight with driver) that is still fast as can be. My fastest time was about 124 at Willow. And that's going flat out in turn 9. Foot to the floor through 8 into 9 and sliding out to the edge of 9...with ***** shrinking every step of the way!

But I have to think Jim is right. The added aero will add a lot of downforce. Rear wheel steering will help especially in low speed turns like 3, 4 and 5) where the rears turn in the opposite direction up to 62mph, but the extra hp and added traction control could give another 3 seconds. We will see what Randy Pobst can do.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:41 AM

We will see what Randy Pobst can do.[/QUOTE]

He very quickly finds the on-track weaknesses, and strengths, of any car he straps into. And explains exactly why, while running blistering laps. A remarkable driver; I will take his opinion to the bank every time.
California John (04-17-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:01 PM

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...-vs-bmw-m4-gts
Old 05-05-2017, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Disappointed in this review not because of the conclusions made but the wet conditions and the crappy track made it impossible for Harris to report fairly. He's just drifting and not driving the car fast through corners and he claims that the aero on the RS was superior huh?

The real advantage to the GTR is that it can stay with RS in corners but has a real advantage in speeds over 100. Even the GTS beat it in a half mile.
muhri (05-06-2017)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Top Gear: New review of GT R