Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear: New review of GT R

Old 05-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Disappointed in this review not because of the conclusions made but the wet conditions and the crappy track made it impossible for Harris to report fairly. He's just drifting and not driving the car fast through corners and he claims that the aero on the RS was superior huh?

The real advantage to the GTR is that it can stay with RS in corners but has a real advantage in speeds over 100. Even the GTS beat it in a half mile.

I still don't believe that half mile run that was posted. In the 1/4, an RS will be 8 car lengths on a GTs, in that video it didn't show that. Here is a video of me driving my buddies RS at Atco raceway in NJ. I went a 10.62 @132,, yes, trapped 132. The car only has long tube headers, no ecu tune. 60' was a 1.58 on stock tires. . Skip to the 46 second mark to see. I got on the launch control early because I though the other lane was staged but he wasn't. Show me and AMG GT getting anywhere near these times on stock tires, and on a road course, this is why the Porsche GT cars are so good, quick out of the turns where it counts, not 1/2 mile crap because the car wasn't designed/built for that.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Oversteering drifts in the wet! Chris Harris is better than than that. A $250k GT3 RS is subjectively better than the GT-R and M4 GTS in Chris's opinion which is very well respected in the media. Now lets move on and get some objective track tests.
Oh, they were already run on the Nordschleif where high speed handling counts but then that doesn't count just like the electoral college as the RS is much faster at Atco. Think I'll have another Bombay Saphire.
The following users liked this post:
muhri (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by mvb3
The GTS is a great car by all means, and this isn't me going fanboy on it.
Absolutely not, never thought that for a second

We all know you love the GT just as much

Old 05-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
e55
GT R 1:16

GT3 RS 1:16.1

Same conditions, same driver Top Gear track this season
Old 05-07-2017, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Oversteering drifts in the wet! Chris Harris is better than than that. A $250k GT3 RS is subjectively better than the GT-R and M4 GTS in Chris's opinion which is very well respected in the media. Now lets move on and get some objective track tests.
Oh, they were already run on the Nordschleif where high speed handling counts but then that doesn't count just like the electoral college as the RS is much faster at Atco. Think I'll have another Bombay Saphire.
That sir sounds like a plan
Old 05-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by Jim Brady

Yes, the comparison was done horribly, I agree, but my comment about the drags had to do with the comment that the GTs beat the GT3rs in a 1/2 mile. If you think this Chris Harris video was shady, the 1/2 mile shootout done where the GTs beat the GT3rs in the 1/2 mile was even worse. It showed the GTs 2 car lengths ahead by half track. That's hilarious.

We'll all soon see real world results/comparisons after the GTr's start getting used on the track against the P-Cars, both with amateur drivers. Two sick track worthy cars that are very closely matched.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 05-11-2017 at 11:00 AM.