Rear Diff oil change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by benzbell
I will follow up on this tomorrow with MB and report back. Probably be easier to just a get a credit for the future on a maintenance. Instead of trying to get reimbursed. Same thing anyways really. Do I owe you a commission or a percentage for this - lol. Thanks again for posting that bulletin. Yep - I still have my stickers on the car and it has that exact part number in the bulletin.
I have been asked to accept all commissions on my client's behalf.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Re: Transmission/Diff oil change at 3,000kms:

So I stopped by my local MB dealership and spoke to a SA there whom I've known for years and asked him about this issue. He looked up the specific recommended warranty items that needed to be performed on my GTR using it's actual VIN. There is nothing at all that needs to be done at 3,000kms/1,850 miles. Hence I've decided not to have this done, even though the car does go through a pretty heavy duty driving cycle.

I am however getting an oil/filter change done with Mobil 1 European 0W-40 and the OEM filter; (which costs an unbelievable $65 before tax!!. BTW it can be found much cheaper on-line), due to having it at the track twice already. Maximum engine oil temp was 250dF, (transmission 200dF), so the Mobil 1 was not stressed in any way, but an oil change every couple of times you've tracked the car is cheap insurance.

Bish
Old 06-12-2018, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
Bish,

Do you know what the max is for oil and trans temps? I can't find anything about that in the owner's manual. You did make reference to temps in your: 'Recent track experience with GTR thread'.

"Engine and transmission ran very cool during every session. Granted the ambient was high 60dFs/low 70dFs, but my engine oil never went above 220 dF and the transmission stayed lower than 200dF."

So this last time around at the track, you went from 220dF to 250dF? Why do you say in the quote above the ambient was high at 60dFs/low 70dFs? Seems moderate to low temperature to me. What was the temperature on this second track day that caused your oil temp to be 250dF? That's a significant increase. You must have been really mashing the throttle this second time around - lol.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by benzbell
Bish,

Do you know what the max is for oil and trans temps? I can't find anything about that in the owner's manual. You did make reference to temps in your: 'Recent track experience with GTR thread'.

"Engine and transmission ran very cool during every session. Granted the ambient was high 60dFs/low 70dFs, but my engine oil never went above 220 dF and the transmission stayed lower than 200dF."

So this last time around at the track, you went from 220dF to 250dF? Why do you say in the quote above the ambient was high at 60dFs/low 70dFs? Seems moderate to low temperature to me. What was the temperature on this second track day that caused your oil temp to be 250dF? That's a significant increase. You must have been really mashing the throttle this second time around - lol.
Thanks for pointing that dumb mistake out on my original post. I meant to say the ambient temps; (60’s to low 70’s) were low. I’ll go back and edit that.

This last time at the track, temps were in the 80’s and I was pushing the car much harder as I’m getting more used to it and having more confidence in its abilities; in fact I’ve never lapped my local track quicker than with the GTR two weekends ago.

As for what what would be considered the maximum temps for engine and transmission/diff oil I’m not sure. Regardless 250dF will not stress the Mobil 1.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
benzbell (06-12-2018)