Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GTS Renntech or AMG GTR?

Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S63 cab and Ferrari 458 Italia
AMG GTS Renntech or AMG GTR?

I'm in a tough dilemma here and could use some opinions. Looks like my dealer can get me an AMG GTR, should cost me about 190k optioned the way I want. My problem with this particular car is we already see they're taking the V8 and now raising the HP to 603 and adding the new 9 speed transmission on future AMG S classes (already in the new E63). So my concern is I'll have the GTR for a year and before I know it the new version will come out with a superior motor and transmission (or perhaps a superior black series version).

Option 2: Buy an AMG GTS and Renntech it with ECU, Stage 1 Turbo upgrade and coil overs (it'll still come out cheaper than the stock GTR).

Sure I have the same dilemma in terms of the transmission changing but at least I know I'll have a ton more power regardless of what changes they make to the motor.

Before someone says why not Renntech the GTR my answer would be the cost and time. First the GTR has to come out and then it'll take time before Renntech puts out the mods. I can do all the Renntech stuff to the AMG GTS and it'll cost the same as the GTR or less however if I do a bunch of work to the GTR now I'm going well over 200k which I'd like to avoid ( I just dropped over that on the S63 cabriolet which will inevitably be getting a new motor, transmission, tech and facelift in the near future).

This will be a replacement for my Ferrari 458 Italia and not a daily driver (that's the s63 cab) but it also will not be used on the track hardly ever, if it all. Also no need to mention anything warranty related as that is not a factor I care about.

I can't find squat on someone actually reviewing an AMG GTS with this package I'm looking to put on so perhaps one of you know of an article or have experience with an AMG GTS modified this way as that would be very helpful.

All thoughts are welcome, thanks.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
cars and stuff
If you're going to Renntech why bother with the GTS? I got a GT and went Renntech route and had way more car than the GTS for less money. Unless you want the race features of the GTS save your money and get a GT. I posted my details of all this recently if you want to read a more lengthy description.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
Originally Posted by boosting1bar
If you're going to Renntech why bother with the GTS? I got a GT and went Renntech route and had way more car than the GTS for less money. Unless you want the race features of the GTS save your money and get a GT. I posted my details of all this recently if you want to read a more lengthy description.
Smart......
Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-AMG
Why not just get THE RENNtech AMG GT S ;-)

http://renntechmercedes.com/index.ph...for-sale?id=57
Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I did the same and was able to get a new custom ordered GT with a substantial discount (other than red calipers and race mode, you can option a GT to be like a GTS for around $10K less) . With a tune ,wheels and other basic mods, you are still going to be well below the $150K mark and the car is same hp as the GTR.
I did not have the choice of the GT-C but would consider it as it has the wide body of the GT-R and since you are not going to track it, it could be the more sensible option.
IMHO the current turbo upgrade is not worth it and we need to wait for full turbo upgrades.
The only + for the GT-R is IF one might think it will be produced in a fairly limited # and the value will hold more than the basic GT/GTS.
As a side note and while I love my GT, I am not sure I would trade my 458 for it.
Originally Posted by boosting1bar
Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
That is quite an attractive price on that car. Lot's of amazing work on it.
Originally Posted by RENNtechHQ

Old 04-20-2017, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
There are a lot of features that the GTR has that you just can't add on. So it depends on how you want to use your car.
Power upgrades stress the cooling system if your going the aftermarket route. The GT-R has taken this into account and upgraded the cooling for the transmission and intercoolers. The only aftermarket cooling package I'm familiar is the Dime research package that address this issue.
Remember the Corvette C7 Z06 when the new owners starting flogging them on the track and complained about lack of power. It was the ECU pulling timing and boost. You will see the same thing here I guarantee it.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S63 cab and Ferrari 458 Italia
Not into the giant wing or the crazy color combinations of the beast on the Renntech site, I'd be looking at Designo Selenite Grey Magno as my color of choice.

I would also as I should have mentioned absolutely put the Renntech down pipes on it.

I'm not sure about the turbo mod either because as great as 700 hp is I don't see it adding much based on the car being rear wheel drive. Getting traction will probably be difficult enough with over 600 hp.

The 458 is the most fun car I've ever owned but I've had it for almost two years and I like to switch it up pretty often.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by RENNtechHQ

Quite a car for the price. I am assuming Renntech would stand behind the drivetrain with some type of warranty if they're going to sell it under their label.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Samk
I'm in a tough dilemma here and could use some opinions. Looks like my dealer can get me an AMG GTR, should cost me about 190k optioned the way I want. My problem with this particular car is we already see they're taking the V8 and now raising the HP to 603 and adding the new 9 speed transmission on future AMG S classes (already in the new E63). So my concern is I'll have the GTR for a year and before I know it the new version will come out with a superior motor and transmission (or perhaps a superior black series version).

Option 2: Buy an AMG GTS and Renntech it with ECU, Stage 1 Turbo upgrade and coil overs (it'll still come out cheaper than the stock GTR).

Sure I have the same dilemma in terms of the transmission changing but at least I know I'll have a ton more power regardless of what changes they make to the motor.

Before someone says why not Renntech the GTR my answer would be the cost and time. First the GTR has to come out and then it'll take time before Renntech puts out the mods. I can do all the Renntech stuff to the AMG GTS and it'll cost the same as the GTR or less however if I do a bunch of work to the GTR now I'm going well over 200k which I'd like to avoid ( I just dropped over that on the S63 cabriolet which will inevitably be getting a new motor, transmission, tech and facelift in the near future).

This will be a replacement for my Ferrari 458 Italia and not a daily driver (that's the s63 cab) but it also will not be used on the track hardly ever, if it all. Also no need to mention anything warranty related as that is not a factor I care about.

I can't find squat on someone actually reviewing an AMG GTS with this package I'm looking to put on so perhaps one of you know of an article or have experience with an AMG GTS modified this way as that would be very helpful.

All thoughts are welcome, thanks.
The S-Class just caught up with the engine and the AMG GT has a far superior transmission over any other AMG. Nothing dramatic will change here anytime soon.

I think you are a much better candidate for a GTC. You get the more practical car, have the wider body and more important, the the updated suspension/rear wheel steering. If you need more power, then tune that one
Old 04-21-2017, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
Great choice on color but I am biased as I have one .
I would be careful with doing downpipes as you cannot easily put it back to stock and that will seriously affect resale as it cannot pass emission. I chose to use the secondary cat delete option and it achieves pretty much the same results.

Originally Posted by Samk
Not into the giant wing or the crazy color combinations of the beast on the Renntech site, I'd be looking at Designo Selenite Grey Magno as my color of choice.

I would also as I should have mentioned absolutely put the Renntech down pipes on it.

I'm not sure about the turbo mod either because as great as 700 hp is I don't see it adding much based on the car being rear wheel drive. Getting traction will probably be difficult enough with over 600 hp.

The 458 is the most fun car I've ever owned but I've had it for almost two years and I like to switch it up pretty often.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2011 Audi R8 5.2, 2003 BMW M5, 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1995 RUF BTR-2
I'm selling my GTS Ed1 with RennTech R1! - https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...ml#post7180116
Old 06-14-2017, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Amazing that the built in engieering in the GTR is overlooked and compared with only HP claims of lessor models. There is much that can't be added on GT/GTS.
The GTR has a revised cooling system that allows extensive track flogging along with adjustible slip control, rear wheel steering and advanced aero. Slipping on coils and a tune won't put one in the same leage as a GTR. On the other hand if you want to drive without a kidney belt the GTS might be the ticket.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GTR (sadly now sold)+991.2 GT3 RS+GT3 Touring+991 GTS+997 GT3 RS+996 GT3 RS+964 RS+Mini Cooper S
As far as I am concerned, there is no contest. It's the GTR all the way.

AMG have put a lot of hard work into this car. It has stuff that you just cannot bolt on. as a result, it is now putting down track times that are extremely impressive. Even quicker than a Pcar GT3 RS and miles quicker than a 458.

Further demand is so high there is a strong possibility you could drive it for a year free of charge. I have already had an offer from a frustrated buyer for 30K over and I haven't even taken delivery yet (8 weeks time).

With regards to ride, the GTR actually rides better than the GTS.

All the money you spend on a Renntech upgrade will simply be flushed down the drain when you come to sell it. Indeed, the car will most likely depreciate faster with the Renntech stuff than without it.
The following users liked this post:
muhri (06-17-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
S63 , AMG GTC '18
Originally Posted by GTR3693
All the money you spend on a Renntech upgrade will simply be flushed down the drain when you come to sell it. Indeed, the car will most likely depreciate faster with the Renntech stuff than without it.
Completely agree, tuned cars rank very low on desirability when it's time to resell.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
Yes the GT-R is the better track weapon and a modded GT(S) will not come close to a GT-R time lap wise.
However, the OP based on the car he shared he owned does not seem to live on the track and therefore a tuned GT(S) will be quicker and faster on the street or on the occasional drag strip and will cost at least $50K less.
Less money invested in a depreciating asset is a big plus in my book.
For the dreamers out there that think a GT-R will hold its value better than a GT(S) or sell in one year for MRSP, I have proprietary ice cubes to sell you.
For resell purposes, it is very easy to revert a slightly modded car back to stock and not everyone lives on the forum.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Why are you getting rid of the 458? Why not get a 488?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Sorry, just saw your comments regarding owning the 458 2 years and just wanting something else. I will say a 488 pulled up next to me yesterday and I could not stop staring at it. It was beautiful.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lexus and toyota and ducati, suzuki now
Ferraris are beautiful. The problem is that no one can really service them well except the Ferrari dealers along with that they are delicate cars.
My first two years of owning my first one it spend more miles on a tow truck going to and from the dealer than I had on the odometer.
Expect service bills to routinely be from 5K to 12K and sometimes a little more if a belt service is needed.
I kept my one twelve years and loved it but was always afraid to leave it alone anywhere and never drove it far as you never know when it is going to just stop.
As far as I am concerned, MB and Porsche are the Gm cars of Germany and you can beat the crap out of them and they keep running. Not going to happen with anything from Italy.
Looking for a Porsche or MB this time.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
AMG GTS, Bentley GT,SL600, Range Rover V8 5.0 Supercharged, Aston Martin Rapide S, S600
Totally agree with boosting1
Go for the base GT and get the Renntech ECU : don't even worry about upgraded Turbos you won't notice much of a difference after 600HP.
No reason to waste your money on a GTS it is just an ECU tuned GT.
As far as the other things the GTR adds they are not necessary. The stock cooling system can easily handle the RENNTECH ECU at 601HP. The only real benefit to the GTR is that it has a more aggressive body but not sure that is worth the additional money especially when the lease deals on GTs now are amazing and probably 1/3 of what the GTR lease would be.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by sl600fanatic
Totally agree with boosting1
Go for the base GT and get the Renntech ECU : don't even worry about upgraded Turbos you won't notice much of a difference after 600HP.
No reason to waste your money on a GTS it is just an ECU tuned GT.
As far as the other things the GTR adds they are not necessary. The stock cooling system can easily handle the RENNTECH ECU at 601HP. The only real benefit to the GTR is that it has a more aggressive body but not sure that is worth the additional money especially when the lease deals on GTs now are amazing and probably 1/3 of what the GTR lease would be.
To dismiss the GTR as just more body styling with more hp doesn't understand the car at all.

Different tools for different purposes. Based on what has been tested and published so far shows that the GTR is one of the most capable cars on the track.
It will leave and GT/GTS, tuned or not, behind.

That said, for me the GTC is the most interesting model; you get the luxury creature comforts, coupled with the GTR suspension/4 wheel steering. Plus I love the wider body
Old 07-03-2017, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Wolfman
To dismiss the GTR as just more body styling with more hp doesn't understand the car at all.

Different tools for different purposes. Based on what has been tested and published so far shows that the GTR is one of the most capable cars on the track.

That said, for me the GTC is the most interesting model; you get the luxury creature comforts, coupled with the GTR suspension/4 wheel steering. Plus I love the wider body
Have to agree. GTR has advanced aero and traction control, along with larger scroll turbos. It is a track weapon that has the fastest rear drive time at the Ring. Wait till tunes come out in 750 hp range.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
Liq intercoolers

Originally Posted by Wolfman

does GT ,GTS hav Liq intercoolers ?
Old 08-02-2017, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
AMG GTS Renntech or AMG GTR?-img_1294.jpg

Water to air intercoolers under air filter assembly
The following users liked this post:
Tommyboy928 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Did you know that rear-axle steering provides the Mercedes-AMG GT R and AMG GT C unmatched agility and stability in any driving situation? At speeds under 100 km/h, the rear wheels turn up to 1.5° in the opposite direction of the front wheels to allow for sharper cornering. At speeds above 100 km/h, they can turn in the same direction as the front wheels up to 0.5° for increased traction and stability.

I wonder if this itself isn't worth it.

No need to add original car is always worth more than a tuned one when reselling.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG GTS Renntech or AMG GTR?