Notices
AMG GT The GT/GT S is the second sports car developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG. Its front mid-engine design with a rear transaxle, the use of aluminium lightweight construction and its newly developed AMG 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine underscores the hallmark of AMG driving performance.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Tune?

 
Old 03-31-2018, 06:01 PM
  #76  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG 17GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATLANTA
Posts: 2,827
Liked 218 Times in 187 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces View Post
from renntech website
"RENNtech has been at the forefront of the tuning market for more than 21 years and stands behind all our products with a rock solid warranty. In fact, RENNtech continues to be the tuning choice of Mercedes Benz Dealerships who not only install and service our products, but work with RENNtech directly should the need for warranty arise."
and that rhetoric will get you ..........
AMG 17GT is online now  
Old 03-31-2018, 06:02 PM
  #77  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT View Post


and that rhetoric will get you ..........
i donít know, thatís why I asked my question
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 03-31-2018, 06:29 PM
  #78  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG 17GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATLANTA
Posts: 2,827
Liked 218 Times in 187 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces View Post


i donít know, thatís why I asked my question
Have to understand risks with tunes. Your not going anyplace good on a claim with that rhetoric. Trying to tell you not to count on any tuner talk except maybe Brabus.

Does that answer your question?
AMG 17GT is online now  
Old 03-31-2018, 07:14 PM
  #79  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
sam9187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,167
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces
from renntech website
"RENNtech has been at the forefront of the tuning market for more than 21 years and stands behind all our products with a rock solid warranty. In fact, RENNtech continues to be the tuning choice of Mercedes Benz Dealerships who not only install and service our products, but work with RENNtech directly should the need for warranty arise."
This warranty probably covers everything except what you need.
sam9187 is online now  
Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 PM
  #80  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by sam9187 View Post
This warranty probably covers everything except what you need.

haha prob
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 PM
  #81  
Senior Member
 
MalibuScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Santa Monica Mountains
Posts: 362
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
2018 GT
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces View Post
from renntech website
"RENNtech has been at the forefront of the tuning market for more than 21 years and stands behind all our products with a rock solid warranty. In fact, RENNtech continues to be the tuning choice of Mercedes Benz Dealerships who not only install and service our products, but work with RENNtech directly should the need for warranty arise."
As a lawyer, the highlighted words give me pause. If there were a Renntech warranty wouldn't Renntech pay? That's the word I would be looking for.
MalibuScott is offline  
The following users liked this post: MalibuScott
benzbell (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 07:27 PM
  #82  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT View Post


Have to understand risks with tunes. Your not going anyplace good on a claim with that rhetoric. Trying to tell you not to count on any tuner talk except maybe Brabus.

Does that answer your question?

yeah i have some experience with tunes, but none with companies that claim to cover any damage. Had an APR stage 2 on my B8.5 Audi S5 and they made it pretty clear you were on your own. I feel like, if a company is going to tell you that you're covered, you should be covered.
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 03-31-2018, 08:50 PM
  #83  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG 17GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATLANTA
Posts: 2,827
Liked 218 Times in 187 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces View Post
yeah i have some experience with tunes, but none with companies that claim to cover any damage. Had an APR stage 2 on my B8.5 Audi S5 and they made it pretty clear you were on your own. I feel like, if a company is going to tell you that you're covered, you should be covered.
but they are not telling you anything is covered and my point. You are not covered man. What is it that you don’t understand?
AMG 17GT is online now  
Old 03-31-2018, 09:02 PM
  #84  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT View Post


but they are not telling you anything is covered and my point. You are not covered man. What is it that you donít understand?
All I can do is just shake my head when I read comments like this, weíre having a discussion. Whoís arguing with you? If youíre that miserable that you need to come here to an open forum on a Saturday night to be condescending and rude then I truly feel bad for you.

The verbiage that I provided is just a snippet from their website, I would assume they have a legal document outlining the warranty. How do you know Iím not covered? Have you called Renntech? Have you tuned your car with them and actually tried to put a claim in?

ďWhat is it that you donít understand?Ē Thatís how you speak to random strangers that are here on the forum having a laid back discussion about a warranty ? Go for a jog or maybe go find a girl, I think you need to blow off some steam. Come back when youíve calmed down, youíre on a time out until further notice

Last edited by ImGoinPlaces; 03-31-2018 at 09:06 PM.
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 03-31-2018, 09:25 PM
  #85  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,487
Liked 246 Times in 181 Posts
‘18 GT R; ‘17 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription; ‘14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
I think that Renntech with MB is like Dinan with BMW and Callaway with GM/Chevrolet. The modified tunes are installed by, or complete cars sold by dealerships. You pay far more for these modifications or cars at the designated dealerships, but part of that (high) price is the tuner purchasing insurance to help cover any major ‘warranty’ issue caused by the additional hardware/software.

In other words you are not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty since your vehicle has been modified; rather you’re covered by your selling/installing dealership working with the tuning shop.

Even though the Renntech tunes/parts are sold by official MB dealerships I would get what is/isn’t covered in writing before getting anything installed on the drivetrain on my car.

YMMV.

Bish
thebishman is offline  
Old 03-31-2018, 10:30 PM
  #86  
Super Member
 
JSwan724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 782
Liked 125 Times in 97 Posts
2018 AMG GTR 2016 AMG GTS E1 2016 AMG GTS (Sold) 2012 AMG SL63 (Sold)
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces View Post


All I can do is just shake my head when I read comments like this, weíre having a discussion. Whoís arguing with you? If youíre that miserable that you need to come here to an open forum on a Saturday night to be condescending and rude then I truly feel bad for you.

The verbiage that I provided is just a snippet from their website, I would assume they have a legal document outlining the warranty. How do you know Iím not covered? Have you called Renntech? Have you tuned your car with them and actually tried to put a claim in?

ďWhat is it that you donít understand?Ē Thatís how you speak to random strangers that are here on the forum having a laid back discussion about a warranty ? Go for a jog or maybe go find a girl, I think you need to blow off some steam. Come back when youíve calmed down, youíre on a time out until further notice
FWIW; I know AMG 17GT and vouch for his passion to protect owners from bad experiences.

I too would strongly recommend you get written confirmation from your MB AMG dealer that your car is still covered under the MB warranty before having any modifications done.

I have had discussions at my dealer and they will not cover a modified MB and they are a factory certified AMG service center.

The service tech can tell if any mods have been done even if they are reversed before the car is brought in for service.

I think we all agree that MB has the final say in these matters.

Please carefully consider that less than desirable outcome could significantly impact you financially as the owner in addition to lowering the trade value since the car will be without factory warranty at trade time

However, in the end, itís your car and you should do what you feel comfortable with.
JSwan724 is offline  
Old 03-31-2018, 10:43 PM
  #87  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by JSwan724 View Post


FWIW; I know AMG 17GT and vouch for his passion to protect owners from bad experiences.

I too would strongly recommend you get written confirmation from your MB AMG dealer that your car is still covered under the MB warranty before having any modifications done.

I have had discussions at my dealer and they will not cover a modified MB and they are a factory certified AMG service center.

The service tech can tell if any mods have been done even if they are reversed before the car is brought in for service.

I think we all agree that MB has the final say in these matters.

Please carefully consider that less than desirable outcome could significantly impact you financially as the owner in addition to lowering the trade value since the car will be without factory warranty at trade time

However, in the end, itís your car and you should do what you feel comfortable with.
I am considering it but itís not super important to me. My warranty and the peace of mind is much more valuable to me than the performance increase. Iím not defending Renntech. People are saying thereís no warranty, their website implies there is. Iím going to call them myself and get to the bottom of this.
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:52 AM
  #88  
Super Member
 
JSwan724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 782
Liked 125 Times in 97 Posts
2018 AMG GTR 2016 AMG GTS E1 2016 AMG GTS (Sold) 2012 AMG SL63 (Sold)
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces View Post


I am considering it but itís not super important to me. My warranty and the peace of mind is much more valuable to me than the performance increase. Iím not defending Renntech. People are saying thereís no warranty, their website implies there is. Iím going to call them myself and get to the bottom of this.

No disrespect to Renntech but the MB dealer is where you want to go to ask/confirm. You are just like me. I love to get more horsepower whenever I can. BUT I donít want to put my factory warranty at risk or get into a prolonged debate with the dealer about what is or isnít covered.
Besides, for me my GTR solves most of my horsepower chasing fever.
JSwan724 is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 01:35 PM
  #89  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by JSwan724 View Post



No disrespect to Renntech but the MB dealer is where you want to go to ask/confirm. You are just like me. I love to get more horsepower whenever I can. BUT I donít want to put my factory warranty at risk or get into a prolonged debate with the dealer about what is or isnít covered.
Besides, for me my GTR solves most of my horsepower chasing fever.

haha so jealous
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 05:40 PM
  #90  
Senior Member
 
MalibuScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Santa Monica Mountains
Posts: 362
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
2018 GT
Mercedes-Benz provides a warranty. The warranty details what it covers, and for how long. Renntech, on the other hand, provides only this on its website, which is a promise to do nothing but "stand behind" its products:

RENNtech Performance Parts vs. Factory Warranty.

In the age of computer controlled diagnostic equipment, emissions control devices and ever increasingly complicated vehicle electrical systems; modern vehicle performance tuning has become just as complicated.

Who do you trust? Where do you go for service? What will happen to my new car factory warranty once I install aftermarket parts? Ask these questions or search on the internet regarding this issue and you are sure to get a slew of conflicting answers and misinformation.

Answers to these questions certainly are not written in stone but there are certain things most consumers are unaware of which only helps to feed the frenzy and confusion regarding aftermarket parts and service.

One fact that many consumers are unaware of is a United States federal law enacted in 1975 which governs warranties on consumer products (including automobiles) called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637). In very brief summary, the law protects consumers with warranties written in an easily understood language and ensures warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty (e.g. aftermarket parts on a vehicle). Basically, a warranty claim cannot be denied on your vehicle simply because of aftermarket or performance parts.

This means that when you decide to install an exhaust or lowering kit on your car and the engine fails, they cannot deny a warranty claim based solely on the fact that the vehicle was not stock. While an after market exhaust may void the warranty on the factory exhaust, it won’t deny you coverage on other components on the vehicle.

While the law is designed to protect consumers it is not a guarantee that a manufacture cannot deny your warranty. A manufacturer can still deny a claim if they deem that the aftermarket component installed caused the problem. This is why selecting a reputable company with quality parts that you can trust to install and service your vehicle should also play an important factor in your tuning decision.

RENNtech has been at the forefront of the tuning market for more than 21 years and stands behind all our products with a rock solid warranty. In fact, RENNtech continues to be the tuning choice of Mercedes Benz Dealerships who not only install and service our products, but work with RENNtech directly should the need for warranty arise.

Our products are designed to work in complete harmony with factory equipment and our tuning software does not over ride or negates any safety features built into the ECU. This ensures you gain mind blowing performance without sacrificing daily driver comfort or reliability. Even after two decades, we continue to be the tuning choice for Mercedes enthusiasts and ensure the same high level of craftsmanship, knowledge and passion goes into every product we put our name on. RENNtech truly is performance without compromise.
Where are the terms of Renntech's warranty? Caveat emptor.

Last edited by MalibuScott; 04-01-2018 at 05:44 PM.
MalibuScott is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 06:58 PM
  #91  
Super Member
 
JSwan724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 782
Liked 125 Times in 97 Posts
2018 AMG GTR 2016 AMG GTS E1 2016 AMG GTS (Sold) 2012 AMG SL63 (Sold)
Originally Posted by MalibuScott View Post
Mercedes-Benz provides a warranty. The warranty details what it covers, and for how long. Renntech, on the other hand, provides only this on its website, which is a promise to do nothing but "stand behind" its products:



Where are the terms of Renntech's warranty? Caveat emptor.
Exactly!! MalibuScott knows what he is talking about. It’s what he does so pay careful attention.

The other issue is how much time and energy you want to expend discussing, debating and educating the dealer every time you bring your car in for service.

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-04-2018 at 10:10 AM.
JSwan724 is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:28 PM
  #92  
Senior Member
 
dlefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 324
Liked 31 Times in 29 Posts
AMG GTS
The majority always seem to miss the point in these threads when Renntech tune warranty discussions come up, Mercedes does NOT, the individual Mercedes dealer also does NOT provide any warranty or free repair if your car has a failure because of a Renntech tune. Essentially what you have to cross your fingers and hope happens, is when the dealer tells you whatís wrong and itíll be $45,000 to fix, that you can convince Renntech to send you or the dealer a check for $45k.
Hopefully that explanation is easy enough to understand.
dlefty is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by dlefty:
JSwan724 (04-02-2018), str8blst (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:23 PM
  #93  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 164
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I think that Renntech with MB is like Dinan with BMW and Callaway with GM/Chevrolet. The modified tunes are installed by, or complete cars sold by dealerships. You pay far more for these modifications or cars at the designated dealerships, but part of that (high) price is the tuner purchasing insurance to help cover any major ‘warranty’ issue caused by the additional hardware/software.

In other words you are not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty since your vehicle has been modified; rather you’re covered by your selling/installing dealership working with the tuning shop.

Even though the Renntech tunes/parts are sold by official MB dealerships I would get what is/isn’t covered in writing before getting anything installed on the drivetrain on my car.

YMMV.

Bish
Just my $02-cents but with respect to the 'insurance' purchased by tuners for each sale to cover the $45k risk. I doubt there is much difference in the premium paid by 'reputable' tuners...and therefore still hard to justify the Renntech 3x retail price. I believe Jerry at EC stated the cost is $500ish per tune. If Renntech pays a comparable fee, is the tune any less risky? Maybe ask for a copy of the actual policy to see what is insured..

Last edited by 06032; 04-01-2018 at 08:41 PM.
06032 is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:15 PM
  #94  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Guys I donít think that page is meant to be the warranty. I would assume they have a legal document that comes with your purchase. If thatís all they provide, then obv thatís pretty shady

when I posted that snippet from the website it was my intention to discuss the matter further, I do not believe that page is meant to be the only document they provide
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:17 PM
  #95  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Iíve decided not to tune my car but Iím interested in hearing the reply to the thread earlier today from the gentlemen who got his tune done at the amg performance center
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 09:48 AM
  #96  
Super Member
 
JSwan724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 782
Liked 125 Times in 97 Posts
2018 AMG GTR 2016 AMG GTS E1 2016 AMG GTS (Sold) 2012 AMG SL63 (Sold)
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces View Post
Iíve decided not to tune my car but Iím interested in hearing the reply to the thread earlier today from the gentlemen who got his tune done at the amg performance center

To put your mind at rest over this issue, I suggest you talk with an AMG tech at your favorite MB dealership.

They are on the front line and have seen it all and watched more than one back and forth on warranty issues.

The question to them is Should I or Shouldnít I and Why?

Then youíll have peace with your decision.

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-02-2018 at 11:59 AM.
JSwan724 is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM
  #97  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by JSwan724 View Post



To put your mind at rest over this issue, I siggest you talk with an AMG tech at your favorite MB dealership.

They are on the front lines and have seen it all and watched more than one back and forth on warranty issues.

The question to them is Should I or Shouldnít I and Why?

Then youíll have peace with your decision.

youíre right, I just spoke to Ralley Mercedes in Roslyn, New York. One of the most highly rated dealerships in my area, they were very abdoment in telling me that they do not offer the tune, and to his knowledge, no dealerships in the area do. I canít even buy it through Mercedes where I live. Interesting. Especially since that other guy said he just bought his through the AMG performance center.
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:10 AM
  #98  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 758
Liked 81 Times in 67 Posts
Lexus Rx350
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces View Post



youíre right, I just spoke to Ralley Mercedes in Roslyn, New York. One of the most highly rated dealerships in my area, they were very abdoment in telling me that they do not offer the tune, and to his knowledge, no dealerships in the area do. I canít even buy it through Mercedes where I live. Interesting. Especially since that other guy said he just bought his through the AMG performance center.
That place is an authorized MB Stealer.

MB of Brooklyn in an authorized RENNtech Dealer. Look them up through Renntech .

BTW, there are some independent shop( well respected) that offer Renntech in the area.
thecutter64 is online now  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM
  #99  
Member
 
ImGoinPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 75
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by thecutter64 View Post

That place is an authorized MB Stealer.

MB of Brooklyn in an authorized RENNtech Dealer. Look them up through Renntech .
haha Iím gonna call Brooklyn now
ImGoinPlaces is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:19 AM
  #100  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 758
Liked 81 Times in 67 Posts
Lexus Rx350
MB of RvC is also listed as an authorized Renntech Dealer
thecutter64 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: