Notices
AMG GT The GT/GT S is the second sports car developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG. Its front mid-engine design with a rear transaxle, the use of aluminium lightweight construction and its newly developed AMG 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine underscores the hallmark of AMG driving performance.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Tune?

 
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM
  #201  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi rs6
R760 by Renntech dyno run:


This is WKW - stock vs R760

Turbo's swap
Downpipe
BOV
BMC High-Flow Air Filters
ECU

Getting car tomorrow as they are still installing aero pack, but did a test run today, felt completely different car.

Last edited by Desteny; 07-11-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Desteny is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 PM
  #202  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 231
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by beatboxx716 View Post
Quick question guys, do any of you guys run the Renntech 200 cell sport catalytic converters on your GTS in Texas? If so have you been able to pass state inspection with a stock tune and the upgraded pipes? I am looking to get a tune and downpipes but being able to pass the Texas smog check is a big selling point for me... Thank you in advance!!!
I don't on my GTS but I've heard if they're high quality 200 cell cats, you should be ok ~90% of the time.
kumizi is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:34 PM
  #203  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG 17GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATLANTA
Posts: 2,931
Received 255 Likes on 215 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by kumizi View Post


there's a big difference every time you hit the gas

its an extra 75hp and waayyyyyy more tq
Believe they claim 150 hp/torque on factory GT tune. Big difference for sure.
AMG 17GT is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 PM
  #204  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
It only gained 56 ft/lbs of torque?

What aero are you having installed?
BenzGTR is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:33 AM
  #205  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 231
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT View Post
Believe they claim 150 hp/torque on factory GT tune. Big difference for sure.
probably close to 120 on a GT

I know a GTS dynos 480ish stock and 535-545 with a tune on a dynojet.
kumizi is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:29 AM
  #206  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi rs6
Originally Posted by BenzGTR View Post
It only gained 56 ft/lbs of torque?

What aero are you having installed?
RT offers 2 years of warranty on this upgrade(in EU), so they need to limit torque to protect the car. It should be limited at 850nm. My local tuner said would be easy enough to get 900-1000nm with custom soft, even with stock turbos, but I still decided to go with Renntech route.

Renntech finally started producing their new aero pack in May 2019 and I was one of the first ones in EU to get it, was shipped from US. They use to have it in US site, but some why they have deleted it. Probably out of stock.
https://blog.dupontregistry.com/spon...arques-monaco/

Last edited by Desteny; 07-12-2019 at 03:38 AM.
Desteny is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:26 AM
  #207  
Member
 
Orcbolg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 189
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Desteny View Post
RT offers 2 years of warranty on this upgrade(in EU),

I'm sure you're aware of this, but that 2 year warranty is on Renntech's parts ONLY, your factory powertrain warranty is completely void, and RT isn't warrantying your powertrain either.
Orcbolg is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:54 AM
  #208  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi rs6
Originally Posted by Orcbolg View Post
I'm sure you're aware of this, but that 2 year warranty is on Renntech's parts ONLY, your factory powertrain warranty is completely void, and RT isn't warrantying your powertrain either.
That's not entirely true.

Their warranty clearly states:
In case the installation of a RENNtech-Tuning or a defect of a RENNtech-Tuning causes consequential damage to the
driving mechanism, gear transmission, cardan shaft, rear axle differential driving shaft of the respective vehicle, or in
case the installation of a RENNtech-Performance Kit for MB Diesel motors and motors running on petrol or a defect
of parts belonging to the RENNtech Performance Kit causes consequential damage to the driving mechanism of the
respective car, RENNtech shall be liable for any such damage with regard to the aforementioned vehicle parts subject
to the following provisions.

As I understand, they are liable when their product causes damage or failure, but NOT liable when it's merc's own failure, in that case MB will fix the damage. There is a law in some EU countries, that tuning parts do not always void factory warranty, unless the part is the reason of failure. Obviously, there is a thin line and it depends on dealer and your luck.

But end of day, if something nasty happens, I am ready to fix it from my own pocket. Not really counting on Renntech.

Last edited by Desteny; 07-12-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Desteny is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:14 AM
  #209  
Member
 
Orcbolg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 189
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Desteny View Post
But end of day, if something nasty happens, I am ready to fix it from my own pocket. Not really counting on Renntech.
Good approach, because I'd hate to see how far someone would have to take it in court, before inevitably realizing that they are going to have to pay out of pocket anyways, for ALL but the absolute most obvious reasons.

Anytime you have major and expensive powertrain work done under factory warranty, expect that MB will point to any power enhancing aftermarket mods to absolve themselves from paying to fix it, especially when you're talking about new turbos, etc.



I actually looked into buying a Renntech stage 2 GTS early on, and sat with the dealer for far too long, while they swore up and down that because it was done by Renntech, the warranty was still 100% solid, and that even if it wasn't RT had their own warranty. We went as far as to conference call RT, clarify that the sales guy and his manager were dead wrong, and then contacted 2x MB dealerships that were RT friendly, for clarification (off the record) that the in the event of any powertrain failure, it would probably cost me more to fight MB to get them to pay for the repairs, than the car was worth.



So I just wanted to clarify for anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future, that if you mod it, especially when you start upgrading turbos, mentally prepare yourself to absorb the repair costs of any and all powertrain related issues.
Orcbolg is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 AM
  #210  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG 17GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATLANTA
Posts: 2,931
Received 255 Likes on 215 Posts
R Nine T
Problem I have with Tune liability Is that Mercedes Benz plays big games themselves with their own factory tunes and the internals of the engine and transmission are exactly the same. Except of course for the larger turbos in the E 63S and the sequential Turbos in the GTR.

So how could Benz say the increased performance caused a mechanical failure when they themselves have the upgraded tunes available on different model nomenclature i.e. GT GTS etc.
AMG 17GT is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 AM
  #211  
Member
 
Orcbolg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 189
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT View Post
Problem I have with Tune liability Is that Mercedes Benz plays big games themselves with their own factory tunes and the internals of the engine and transmission are exactly the same. Except of course for the larger turbos in the E 63S and the sequential Turbos in the GTR.

So how could Benz say the increased performance caused a mechanical failure when they themselves have the upgraded tunes available on different model nomenclature i.e. GT GTS etc.

Agreed completely, and I think it would grand if someone, with far more resources than I have, would validate that in court for the rest of us.
Orcbolg is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:49 AM
  #212  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,613
Received 315 Likes on 218 Posts
‘18 GT R; ‘17 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription; ‘14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT View Post
Problem I have with Tune liability Is that Mercedes Benz plays big games themselves with their own factory tunes and the internals of the engine and transmission are exactly the same. Except of course for the larger turbos in the E 63S and the sequential Turbos in the GTR.

So how could Benz say the increased performance caused a mechanical failure when they themselves have the upgraded tunes available on different model nomenclature i.e. GT GTS etc.
Because they can?

Iíve stated this before, but if you tune your car just go into it with your eyes wide open knowing that should a drivetrain issue arise after a tune is installed, you may have a hell of a time getting MB to pay to correct the issue. Example: you tune the ECU and three months later you experience a DCT or Differential issue. MB could, and perhaps would, state that the aftermarket tune caused the parameters of the OEM component to be exceeded, and refuse to warranty the car. My SA who Iíve known and trusted for years, told me specifically that even though his dealership sells/installs Renntech products, those RT products perhaps causing, (or not) a drivetrain issue with the car means that a defect is not warrantied by MB. Sure you may get MB to repair something that broke in the car as a good faith gesture especially if the dealership goes to Ďbatí for you, but again there is no obligation for MB to do so. And donít think that reverting back to an OEM tune prior to taking the car in for an issue will insulate you from a warranty denial. The dealership can easily Ďcountí the number of times the ECU has been re-flashed, and if it doesnít equate to the number of times that itís been re-flashed by MB, MB may well Ďexploreí the ECU further.

Vic55 has far more experience than me re: ECU tunes, and I donít think heís ever had an issue. Thatís because he only ever uses top notch tuners who create a conservative tune that doesnít overly Ďtaxí the drivetrain, and this is the only way that Iíd ever even think about messing around with the ECU. BUT, Iíd go into it knowing that regardless of ultimate cause, MBís legal funds are far greater than mine, so if I tune the car and it breaks, Iíd best be prepared to pay to fix it myself.

Bish
thebishman is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
Orcbolg (07-12-2019), Pete De La Mare (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:31 PM
  #213  
Member
 
Orcbolg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 189
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

Iíve stated this before, but if you tune your car just go into it with your eyes wide open knowing that should a drivetrain issue arise after a tune is installed, you may have a hell of a time getting MB to pay to correct the issue. Example: you tune the ECU and three months later you experience a DCT or Differential issue. MB could, and perhaps would, state that the aftermarket tune caused the parameters of the OEM component to be exceeded, and refuse to warranty the car. My SA who Iíve known and trusted for years, told me specifically that even though his dealership sells/installs Renntech products, those RT products perhaps causing, (or not) a drivetrain issue with the car means that a defect is not warrantied by MB. Sure you may get MB to repair something that broke in the car as a good faith gesture especially if the dealership goes to Ďbatí for you, but again there is no obligation for MB to do so. And donít think that reverting back to an OEM tune prior to taking the car in for an issue will insulate you from a warranty denial. The dealership can easily Ďcountí the number of times the ECU has been re-flashed, and if it doesnít equate to the number of times that itís been re-flashed by MB, MB may well Ďexploreí the ECU further.

Vic55 has far more experience than me re: ECU tunes, and I donít think heís ever had an issue. Thatís because he only ever uses top notch tuners who create a conservative tune that doesnít overly Ďtaxí the drivetrain, and this is the only way that Iíd ever even think about messing around with the ECU. BUT, Iíd go into it knowing that regardless of ultimate cause, MBís legal funds are far greater than mine, so if I tune the car and it breaks, Iíd best be prepared to pay to fix it myself.

Bish
Well said.
Orcbolg is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:33 PM
  #214  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT View Post
Believe they claim 150 hp/torque on factory GT tune. Big difference for sure.
No they only claim 73 ft/lbs for the tune. Not much more either for the turbo upgrade only another 16 ft/lbs for the upgraded turbos compared to the tune.
I've done the tune and have been talking to Renntech about why the turbo upgrade doesn't add much power compared to the awd cars and they said the RWD drivetrain cannot handle the torque.
Look at the 4 door GT which is awd, it jumps to 783hp 798/tq with JUST A TUNE! Almost 200 ft/lbs more than the GTR with a tune. All the AWD cars make WAY more power with just a tune than the RWD cars even WITH the turbo upgrades.
Hartmut will not give us real power in our RWD cars they said the axles will break first then other things

That being said, the dyno graph posted above before and after only shows an increase of 56 ft/lbs
BenzGTR is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:56 PM
  #215  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi rs6
Originally Posted by BenzGTR View Post
No they only claim 73 ft/lbs for the tune. Not much more either for the turbo upgrade only another 16 ft/lbs for the upgraded turbos compared to the tune.
I've done the tune and have been talking to Renntech about why the turbo upgrade doesn't add much power compared to the awd cars and they said the RWD drivetrain cannot handle the torque.
Look at the 4 door GT which is awd, it jumps to 783hp 798/tq with JUST A TUNE! Almost 200 ft/lbs more than the GTR with a tune. All the AWD cars make WAY more power with just a tune than the RWD cars even WITH the turbo upgrades.
Hartmut will not give us real power in our RWD cars they said the axles will break first then other things
That being said, the dyno graph posted above before and after only shows an increase of 56 ft/lbs

My 412kw RS6 jumped to 544kw with just full miltek exhaust and tune along with stock 700Nm (516 lbf⋅ft) to 1050Nm. 2 years of driving and 30k km without any issues. As said before, drivetrain is the reason why RT limits torque on GTR's, if they start breaking heavily, it's not best feedback for them.

Torque increase is not massive, HP increase is also moderate considering they ask about 18k usd for R760 package(old turbos need to be sent back and stock downpipes are pretty much unsellable) + install, as stock downpipes need to be cut off if you want to install RT ones without taking off engine. Turbo's, BOV install was fairly quick. BUT, considering moderate power increase, IMHO, the upgrade is well worth it. Got the car back today, feels different for sure, makes way more sound, yet not hurting ears, feels so much faster in higher speeds and even enjoying the 'swoosh' sound what BOV creates. My biggest concern was the fact, that it can't put the power down at all and wheels would just spin, but even TC set to 6-off position, that wasn't case when speeds got to 40+ mph.
Desteny is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 PM
  #216  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Desteny View Post
My 412kw RS6 jumped to 544kw with just full miltek exhaust and tune along with stock 700Nm (516 lbf⋅ft) to 1050Nm. 2 years of driving and 30k km without any issues. As said before, drivetrain is the reason why RT limits torque on GTR's, if they start breaking heavily, it's not best feedback for them.

Torque increase is not massive, HP increase is also moderate considering they ask about 18k usd for R760 package(old turbos need to be sent back and stock downpipes are pretty much unsellable) + install, as stock downpipes need to be cut off if you want to install RT ones without taking off engine. Turbo's, BOV install was fairly quick. BUT, considering moderate power increase, IMHO, the upgrade is well worth it. Got the car back today, feels different for sure, makes way more sound, yet not hurting ears, feels so much faster in higher speeds and even enjoying the 'swoosh' sound what BOV creates. My biggest concern was the fact, that it can't put the power down at all and wheels would just spin, but even TC set to 6-off position, that wasn't case when speeds got to 40+ mph.
I'm really on the fence right now doing this. I only track this car at a track that has a sound limit where my Viper's won't pass, so I would have to keep stock exhaust. So I'm guessing doing the turbo upgrade is only going to net me about 60-70hp over the tune only, probably not worth it. What sucks is I only would use this power on track at speed, no drag race runs so the car would handle the bigger power they give the AWD cars, but Hartmut won't do it. What did you pay for everything installed?
BenzGTR is offline  
Old Today, 04:37 AM
  #217  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi rs6
Originally Posted by BenzGTR View Post
I'm really on the fence right now doing this. I only track this car at a track that has a sound limit where my Viper's won't pass, so I would have to keep stock exhaust. So I'm guessing doing the turbo upgrade is only going to net me about 60-70hp over the tune only, probably not worth it. What sucks is I only would use this power on track at speed, no drag race runs so the car would handle the bigger power they give the AWD cars, but Hartmut won't do it. What did you pay for everything installed?
Sorry for late answer, been travelling and organizing shipping for the GT-R. After tune, I done about 700km, so far so good. I think you will get about 130-140HP after swapping turbos, filters, BOV and ECU tune. Is it worth it for the track? It's worth the extra HP and downforce with bodykit, as it does make car different and the term ''unleashing the hulk'' does fit here. But if you track the car often and push it to limits all the time, I would not do it. For me the car is more promotional, than fully track oriented, I actually drive track just once a month tops, but drifting I do weekly. Total cost in USD: 35686.58, this is with the 20% VAT.

Last edited by Desteny; Today at 04:40 AM.
Desteny is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which Tune?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: