Sponsored by:

Which Tune?

Old 03-31-2018, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by ImGoinPlaces
from renntech website
"RENNtech has been at the forefront of the tuning market for more than 21 years and stands behind all our products with a rock solid warranty. In fact, RENNtech continues to be the tuning choice of Mercedes Benz Dealerships who not only install and service our products, but work with RENNtech directly should the need for warranty arise."
and that rhetoric will get you ..........
Old 03-31-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

and that rhetoric will get you ..........
i don’t know, that’s why I asked my question
Old 03-31-2018, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T

i don’t know, that’s why I asked my question
Have to understand risks with tunes. Your not going anyplace good on a claim with that rhetoric. Trying to tell you not to count on any tuner talk except maybe Brabus.

Does that answer your question?
Old 03-31-2018, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
from renntech website
"RENNtech has been at the forefront of the tuning market for more than 21 years and stands behind all our products with a rock solid warranty. In fact, RENNtech continues to be the tuning choice of Mercedes Benz Dealerships who not only install and service our products, but work with RENNtech directly should the need for warranty arise."
This warranty probably covers everything except what you need.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 PM

C63
Originally Posted by sam9187
This warranty probably covers everything except what you need.

haha prob
Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
from renntech website
As a lawyer, the highlighted words give me pause. If there were a Renntech warranty wouldn't Renntech pay? That's the word I would be looking for.
The following 2 users liked this post by MalibuScott:
benzbell (03-31-2018), Mako1969 (06-15-2021)
Old 03-31-2018, 07:27 PM

C63

Have to understand risks with tunes. Your not going anyplace good on a claim with that rhetoric. Trying to tell you not to count on any tuner talk except maybe Brabus.

Does that answer your question?

yeah i have some experience with tunes, but none with companies that claim to cover any damage. Had an APR stage 2 on my B8.5 Audi S5 and they made it pretty clear you were on your own. I feel like, if a company is going to tell you that you're covered, you should be covered.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
yeah i have some experience with tunes, but none with companies that claim to cover any damage. Had an APR stage 2 on my B8.5 Audi S5 and they made it pretty clear you were on your own. I feel like, if a company is going to tell you that you're covered, you should be covered.
but they are not telling you anything is covered and my point. You are not covered man. What is it that you don’t understand?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:02 PM

C63

but they are not telling you anything is covered and my point. You are not covered man. What is it that you don’t understand?
All I can do is just shake my head when I read comments like this, we’re having a discussion. Who’s arguing with you? If you’re that miserable that you need to come here to an open forum on a Saturday night to be condescending and rude then I truly feel bad for you.

The verbiage that I provided is just a snippet from their website, I would assume they have a legal document outlining the warranty. How do you know I’m not covered? Have you called Renntech? Have you tuned your car with them and actually tried to put a claim in?

“What is it that you don’t understand?” That’s how you speak to random strangers that are here on the forum having a laid back discussion about a warranty ? Go for a jog or maybe go find a girl, I think you need to blow off some steam. Come back when you’ve calmed down, you’re on a time out until further notice

Last edited by ImGoinPlaces; 03-31-2018 at 09:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mako1969 (06-15-2021)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I think that Renntech with MB is like Dinan with BMW and Callaway with GM/Chevrolet. The modified tunes are installed by, or complete cars sold by dealerships. You pay far more for these modifications or cars at the designated dealerships, but part of that (high) price is the tuner purchasing insurance to help cover any major ‘warranty’ issue caused by the additional hardware/software.

In other words you are not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty since your vehicle has been modified; rather you’re covered by your selling/installing dealership working with the tuning shop.

Even though the Renntech tunes/parts are sold by official MB dealerships I would get what is/isn’t covered in writing before getting anything installed on the drivetrain on my car.

YMMV.

Bish
Old 03-31-2018, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63

All I can do is just shake my head when I read comments like this, we’re having a discussion. Who’s arguing with you? If you’re that miserable that you need to come here to an open forum on a Saturday night to be condescending and rude then I truly feel bad for you.

The verbiage that I provided is just a snippet from their website, I would assume they have a legal document outlining the warranty. How do you know I’m not covered? Have you called Renntech? Have you tuned your car with them and actually tried to put a claim in?

“What is it that you don’t understand?” That’s how you speak to random strangers that are here on the forum having a laid back discussion about a warranty ? Go for a jog or maybe go find a girl, I think you need to blow off some steam. Come back when you’ve calmed down, you’re on a time out until further notice
FWIW; I know AMG 17GT and vouch for his passion to protect owners from bad experiences.

I too would strongly recommend you get written confirmation from your MB AMG dealer that your car is still covered under the MB warranty before having any modifications done.

I have had discussions at my dealer and they will not cover a modified MB and they are a factory certified AMG service center.

The service tech can tell if any mods have been done even if they are reversed before the car is brought in for service.

I think we all agree that MB has the final say in these matters.

Please carefully consider that less than desirable outcome could significantly impact you financially as the owner in addition to lowering the trade value since the car will be without factory warranty at trade time

However, in the end, it’s your car and you should do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:43 PM

C63
Originally Posted by JSwan724

FWIW; I know AMG 17GT and vouch for his passion to protect owners from bad experiences.

I too would strongly recommend you get written confirmation from your MB AMG dealer that your car is still covered under the MB warranty before having any modifications done.

I have had discussions at my dealer and they will not cover a modified MB and they are a factory certified AMG service center.

The service tech can tell if any mods have been done even if they are reversed before the car is brought in for service.

I think we all agree that MB has the final say in these matters.

Please carefully consider that less than desirable outcome could significantly impact you financially as the owner in addition to lowering the trade value since the car will be without factory warranty at trade time

However, in the end, it’s your car and you should do what you feel comfortable with.
I am considering it but it’s not super important to me. My warranty and the peace of mind is much more valuable to me than the performance increase. I’m not defending Renntech. People are saying there’s no warranty, their website implies there is. I’m going to call them myself and get to the bottom of this.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63

I am considering it but it’s not super important to me. My warranty and the peace of mind is much more valuable to me than the performance increase. I’m not defending Renntech. People are saying there’s no warranty, their website implies there is. I’m going to call them myself and get to the bottom of this.

No disrespect to Renntech but the MB dealer is where you want to go to ask/confirm. You are just like me. I love to get more horsepower whenever I can. BUT I don’t want to put my factory warranty at risk or get into a prolonged debate with the dealer about what is or isn’t covered.
Besides, for me my GTR solves most of my horsepower chasing fever.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:35 PM

C63

No disrespect to Renntech but the MB dealer is where you want to go to ask/confirm. You are just like me. I love to get more horsepower whenever I can. BUT I don’t want to put my factory warranty at risk or get into a prolonged debate with the dealer about what is or isn’t covered.
Besides, for me my GTR solves most of my horsepower chasing fever.

haha so jealous
Old 04-01-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Mercedes-Benz provides a warranty. The warranty details what it covers, and for how long. Renntech, on the other hand, provides only this on its website, which is a promise to do nothing but "stand behind" its products:

RENNtech Performance Parts vs. Factory Warranty.

In the age of computer controlled diagnostic equipment, emissions control devices and ever increasingly complicated vehicle electrical systems; modern vehicle performance tuning has become just as complicated.

Who do you trust? Where do you go for service? What will happen to my new car factory warranty once I install aftermarket parts? Ask these questions or search on the internet regarding this issue and you are sure to get a slew of conflicting answers and misinformation.

Answers to these questions certainly are not written in stone but there are certain things most consumers are unaware of which only helps to feed the frenzy and confusion regarding aftermarket parts and service.

One fact that many consumers are unaware of is a United States federal law enacted in 1975 which governs warranties on consumer products (including automobiles) called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637). In very brief summary, the law protects consumers with warranties written in an easily understood language and ensures warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty (e.g. aftermarket parts on a vehicle). Basically, a warranty claim cannot be denied on your vehicle simply because of aftermarket or performance parts.

This means that when you decide to install an exhaust or lowering kit on your car and the engine fails, they cannot deny a warranty claim based solely on the fact that the vehicle was not stock. While an after market exhaust may void the warranty on the factory exhaust, it won’t deny you coverage on other components on the vehicle.

While the law is designed to protect consumers it is not a guarantee that a manufacture cannot deny your warranty. A manufacturer can still deny a claim if they deem that the aftermarket component installed caused the problem. This is why selecting a reputable company with quality parts that you can trust to install and service your vehicle should also play an important factor in your tuning decision.

RENNtech has been at the forefront of the tuning market for more than 21 years and stands behind all our products with a rock solid warranty. In fact, RENNtech continues to be the tuning choice of Mercedes Benz Dealerships who not only install and service our products, but work with RENNtech directly should the need for warranty arise.

Our products are designed to work in complete harmony with factory equipment and our tuning software does not over ride or negates any safety features built into the ECU. This ensures you gain mind blowing performance without sacrificing daily driver comfort or reliability. Even after two decades, we continue to be the tuning choice for Mercedes enthusiasts and ensure the same high level of craftsmanship, knowledge and passion goes into every product we put our name on. RENNtech truly is performance without compromise.
Where are the terms of Renntech's warranty? Caveat emptor.

Last edited by MalibuScott; 04-01-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
Mercedes-Benz provides a warranty. The warranty details what it covers, and for how long. Renntech, on the other hand, provides only this on its website, which is a promise to do nothing but "stand behind" its products:

Where are the terms of Renntech's warranty? Caveat emptor.
Exactly!! MalibuScott knows what he is talking about. It’s what he does so pay careful attention.

The other issue is how much time and energy you want to expend discussing, debating and educating the dealer every time you bring your car in for service.

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-04-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:28 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
The majority always seem to miss the point in these threads when Renntech tune warranty discussions come up, Mercedes does NOT, the individual Mercedes dealer also does NOT provide any warranty or free repair if your car has a failure because of a Renntech tune. Essentially what you have to cross your fingers and hope happens, is when the dealer tells you what’s wrong and it’ll be $45,000 to fix, that you can convince Renntech to send you or the dealer a check for $45k.
Hopefully that explanation is easy enough to understand.
The following 2 users liked this post by dlefty:
JSwan724 (04-02-2018), str8blst (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol
Originally Posted by thebishman
I think that Renntech with MB is like Dinan with BMW and Callaway with GM/Chevrolet. The modified tunes are installed by, or complete cars sold by dealerships. You pay far more for these modifications or cars at the designated dealerships, but part of that (high) price is the tuner purchasing insurance to help cover any major ‘warranty’ issue caused by the additional hardware/software.

In other words you are not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty since your vehicle has been modified; rather you’re covered by your selling/installing dealership working with the tuning shop.

Even though the Renntech tunes/parts are sold by official MB dealerships I would get what is/isn’t covered in writing before getting anything installed on the drivetrain on my car.

YMMV.

Bish
Just my $02-cents but with respect to the 'insurance' purchased by tuners for each sale to cover the $45k risk. I doubt there is much difference in the premium paid by 'reputable' tuners...and therefore still hard to justify the Renntech 3x retail price. I believe Jerry at EC stated the cost is $500ish per tune. If Renntech pays a comparable fee, is the tune any less risky? Maybe ask for a copy of the actual policy to see what is insured..

Last edited by 06032; 04-01-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:15 PM

C63
Guys I don’t think that page is meant to be the warranty. I would assume they have a legal document that comes with your purchase. If that’s all they provide, then obv that’s pretty shady

when I posted that snippet from the website it was my intention to discuss the matter further, I do not believe that page is meant to be the only document they provide
Old 04-01-2018, 11:17 PM

C63
I’ve decided not to tune my car but I’m interested in hearing the reply to the thread earlier today from the gentlemen who got his tune done at the amg performance center
Old 04-02-2018, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
I’ve decided not to tune my car but I’m interested in hearing the reply to the thread earlier today from the gentlemen who got his tune done at the amg performance center

To put your mind at rest over this issue, I suggest you talk with an AMG tech at your favorite MB dealership.

They are on the front line and have seen it all and watched more than one back and forth on warranty issues.

The question to them is Should I or Shouldn’t I and Why?

Then you’ll have peace with your decision.

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-02-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM

C63

To put your mind at rest over this issue, I siggest you talk with an AMG tech at your favorite MB dealership.

They are on the front lines and have seen it all and watched more than one back and forth on warranty issues.

The question to them is Should I or Shouldn’t I and Why?

Then you’ll have peace with your decision.

you’re right, I just spoke to Ralley Mercedes in Roslyn, New York. One of the most highly rated dealerships in my area, they were very abdoment in telling me that they do not offer the tune, and to his knowledge, no dealerships in the area do. I can’t even buy it through Mercedes where I live. Interesting. Especially since that other guy said he just bought his through the AMG performance center.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS

you’re right, I just spoke to Ralley Mercedes in Roslyn, New York. One of the most highly rated dealerships in my area, they were very abdoment in telling me that they do not offer the tune, and to his knowledge, no dealerships in the area do. I can’t even buy it through Mercedes where I live. Interesting. Especially since that other guy said he just bought his through the AMG performance center.
That place is an authorized MB Stealer.

MB of Brooklyn in an authorized RENNtech Dealer. Look them up through Renntech .

BTW, there are some independent shop( well respected) that offer Renntech in the area.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM

C63
Originally Posted by thecutter64

That place is an authorized MB Stealer.

MB of Brooklyn in an authorized RENNtech Dealer. Look them up through Renntech .
haha I’m gonna call Brooklyn now
Old 04-02-2018, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
MB of RvC is also listed as an authorized Renntech Dealer

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which Tune?