AMG GTR release update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by boilerup1998
I'll let you know when I know more from my salesman.

HOLD ON......We'll make it. It's only 40 days (+-).

Last edited by JSwan724; 05-09-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
Just got a notification that the vehicle is being delayed to "sometime in the 3rd quarter" of 2017. This is info coming straight from MB USA

Last edited by Bolaber; 05-15-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Originally Posted by Bolaber
Just got a notification that the vehicle is being delayed to "sometime in the 3rd quarter" of 2017. This is info coming straight from MB USA
Your correct. You may not see the cars until July-September. What a bunch of BS especially for people with money invested.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Originally Posted by Bolaber
bummer! any reasons stated?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63,1989 944 Turbo, 2018-GTR, GLC63S
i received the same call, not a big deal... Not sure why everyone is being such cry babies over a little delay. Seriously i would rather they released the car later then faster with defects.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by muhri
bummer! any reasons stated?
lack of parts and software
Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by 4ramin
lack of parts and software
BULL SH.T!!

FWIW: If you haven't read here there are several of us who are waiting for delivery of GTR's that have already been manufactured and delivered to the US Mercedes-Benz VPC (Vehicle Processing Centers) nearly a month ago.

There's something else going on.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JSwan724
BULL SH.T!!

FWIW: If you haven't read here there are several of us who are waiting for delivery of GTR's that have already been manufactured and delivered to the US Mercedes-Benz VPC (Vehicle Processing Centers) nearly a month ago.

Correct. They will not realease the cars till the software issue is resolved ...
Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by 4ramin
Correct. They will not realease the cars till the software issue is resolved ...
EXACTLY WHAT SOFTWARE ISSUE??
Old 05-19-2017, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
BULL SH.T!!

LOL, you're starting to sound like me

They always do "rework" and updates at the VPC, very common actually. AMG had wheels replaced on my SLS BS as well as a couple software updates at the VPC while it was waiting there for an extended period of time. They do all sorts of things at the VPC. That being said this just goes back to my posts months ago and how I pretty much guaranteed there would be significant delays on these cars but nobody wanted to hear it when I suggested it. Hopefully whatever the cause of the delay is will guarantee that you guys have zero problems and zero defects, we all know what happened with initial batch of AMG GT-S's, I won't reopen that wound but those of us that have been around here a few years know exactly what I am referring to. Good luck, I hope you get to enjoy your new toy very soon!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
Why the animosity here?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by jrcart
LOL, you're starting to sound like me

They always do "rework" and updates at the VPC, very common actually. AMG had wheels replaced on my SLS BS as well as a couple software updates at the VPC while it was waiting there for an extended period of time. They do all sorts of things at the VPC. That being said this just goes back to my posts months ago and how I pretty much guaranteed there would be significant delays on these cars but nobody wanted to hear it when I suggested it. Hopefully whatever the cause of the delay is will guarantee that you guys have zero problems and zero defects, we all know what happened with initial batch of AMG GT-S's, I won't reopen that wound but those of us that have been around here a few years know exactly what I am referring to. Good luck, I hope you get to enjoy your new toy very soon!
JRCART:

I am sure you have been following this thread like a bad dream from the past. You are right it does open up the issues we had within 24 hours after our delivery of the GTS E1's. Our E1's were mid April 2015 deliveries that experienced "reoccuring birthing problems" up to mid--late June.

However, having said that I would think most everything has been resolved after 3 model years.

I am wondering if there are other forces in play.

For example;
The need for dealers to sell more current year inventory before the the 2018 models start rolling out.

US Emission or DOT Issues.

A failure in the Lane Tracking feature that many cars "GTR's in waiting" have.

A financial revenue stream issue.

Deliveries-- As far as anyone can tell there have been NO US GTR deliveries to date but European deliveries seem to be occurring.

As I mentioned in earlier posts I do know that 300 completed cars and growing are sitting that have customer purchase commitments and dollars waiting to be spent. The estimated revenue stream delay to MB is over $65 million and growing weekly.

What's also interesting is the dealers truly "know nothing" about why the cars can't be delivered or specifically when they can be. So, MB Corporate is in charge and customer frustration is growing daily.

Stay tuned..

Best Regards

(Bolabar don't misread JRCART. He and I go back aways and traveled the same MB initial frustration path with our GTS E1's. So he has a right to take a few shots in jest at me. He has been right about a lot of issues and considerations with these cars over the years and his perspective is always welcome).

Last edited by JSwan724; 05-19-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
JRCART:

I am sure you have been following this thread like a bad dream from the past. You are right it does open up the issues we had within 24 hours after our delivery of the GTS E1's. Our E1's were mid April 2015 deliveries that experienced "reoccuring birthing problems" up to mid--late June.

However, having said that I would think most everything has been resolved after 3 model years.

I am wondering if there are other forces in play.

For example;
The need for dealers to sell more current year inventory before the the 2018 models start rolling out.

US Emission or DOT Issues.

A failure in the Lane Tracking feature that many cars "GTR's in waiting" have.

A financial revenue stream issue.

As I mentioned in earlier posts I do know that 300 completed cars and growing are sitting that have customer purchase commitments and dollars waiting to be spent. The estimated revenue stream delay to MB is over $65 million and growing weekly.

What's also interesting is the dealers truly "know nothing" about why the cars can't be delivered or specifically when they can be. So, MB Corporate is in charge and customer frustration is growing daily.

Stay tuned..

Best Regards
Of course there could be other forces in play. To your points, the fact that GT-S's have been around for a few years now has nothing to do with it, the GT-R is a drastically different model in many ways so while some things are the same, many things(especially software) are very different. I would guess the EPA plays into the delay somehow whether directly or indirectly. Will the GTR be subject to the Guzzler tax? Wasn't there some question when the GT-S came out and it had no Guzzler tax, maybe the greedy government is subjecting them to more testing and scrutiny so as to force a guzzler tax and get their hands on some $$$??? I doubt it has anything to do with MB's financial revenue stream, at any given time MB has billions of dollars in unsold inventory sitting on lots around the world, that's simply a part of doing business. The GTR being a limited production car I would assume limits their financial risk, it is actually lower than most other models. 90% of these GTR's are pre-sold, they will get paid for them within hours or days of them arriving to the dealerships. There are only hundreds of them being built at this stage. They build 10 times as many C300 at $50,000 a pop they might sit on dealer lots for months before they get sold and MB gets paid. Most dealerships are sitting on dozens of C300's so that dollar figure is much higher than a single $180,000 GTR sitting on every dealer lot no matter what the length of time the GTR sits unsold.

I'd be more alarmed at the fact that as I have pointed out these delays now seem to be common place for AMG's. My last 4 AMG's have been delayed 30-90+ days. My GLA45 sat at VPC for 3 months. head over to the GLA45 section and read some of those threads from a year and a half ago. I ordered my GLA45 in the fall specifically for a winter daily driver, it was supposed to be delivered in December, right around the time the snow starts flying here in Chicago, I did not take delivery until March after the winter was pretty much over....sorta defeats the purpose of me dropping $60,000 on a winter dd.

I know many of you think I over react when I have been flaming AMG the past couple years regarding the C450 sport/C43 and all the problems I have had with recent AMG purchases but my complaints are valid. How much of these delays can be attributed to AMG changing focus and rushing cars like the C43 to market? That had to take resources. People call me a cry baby or a whiner but when you have been a MB/AMG customer like me who as purchased 12 MB's/AMG's in the past 9 years and you witness a change(in the worse) in the way business is done, a definite decrease in quality and reliability, patters such as 30-90 days delivery delays on my last 4 AMG purchases it raises red flags. Bottom line I predicted these GTR delays 6 months ago on numerous threads and people flamed me. I also was one of the first to predicted a decline in overall AMG quality a couple years ago when they started badging C450's with AMG badges.

Last edited by jrcart; 05-19-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by jrcart
Of course there could be other forces in play. To your points, the fact that GT-S's have been around for a few years now has nothing to do with it, the GT-R is a drastically different model in many ways so while some things are the same, many things(especially software) are very different. I would guess the EPA plays into the delay somehow whether directly or indirectly. Will the GTR be subject to the Guzzler tax? Wasn't there some question when the GT-S came out and it had no Guzzler tax, maybe the greedy government is subjecting them to more testing and scrutiny so as to force a guzzler tax and get their hands on some $$$??? I doubt it has anything to do with MB's financial revenue stream, at any given time MB has billions of dollars in unsold inventory sitting on lots around the world, that's simply a part of doing business. The GTR being a limited production car I would assume limits their financial risk, it is actually lower than most other models. 90% of these GTR's are pre-sold, they will get paid for them within hours or days of them arriving to the dealerships. There are only hundreds of them being built at this stage. They build 10 times as many C300 at $50,000 a pop they might sit on dealer lots for months before they get sold and MB gets paid. Most dealerships are sitting on dozens of C300's so that dollar figure is much higher than a single $180,000 GTR sitting on every dealer lot no matter what the length of time the GTR sits unsold.

I'd be more alarmed at the fact that as I have pointed out these delays now seem to be common place for AMG's. My last 4 AMG's have been delayed 30-90+ days. My GLA45 sat at VPC for 3 months. head over to the GLA45 section and read some of those threads from a year and a half ago. I ordered my GLA45 in the fall specifically for a winter daily driver, it was supposed to be delivered in December, right around the time the snow starts flying here in Chicago, I did not take delivery until March after the winter was pretty much over....sorta defeats the purpose of me dropping $60,000 on a winter dd.

I know many of you think I over react when I have been flaming AMG the past couple years regarding the C450 sport/C43 and all the problems I have had with recent AMG purchases but my complaints are valid. How much of these delays can be attributed to AMG changing focus and rushing cars like the C43 to market? That had to take resources. People call me a cry baby or a whiner but when you have been a MB/AMG customer like me who as purchased 12 MB's/AMG's in the past 9 years and you witness a change(in the worse) in the way business is done, a definite decrease in quality and reliability, patters such as 30-90 days delivery delays on my last 4 AMG purchases it raises red flags. Bottom line I predicted these GTR delays 6 months ago on numerous threads and people flamed me. I also was one of the first to predicted a decline in overall AMG quality a couple years ago when they started badging C450's with AMG badges.
well said
Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various AMG Models
Reminds me of the Edition 1 delays...
Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Edition-507
As many have realized and attested here, quality issues have been on the rise with AMG products. Quality issues should have been rigorously done at the assembly plant, not at the VPC. At the VPC, that is more of a validation about regulatory compliance of the incoming cars. Quality checks should be smooth SOP, and not a process, procedure, and a habit at the VPC.

Delays like this would be very irritating considering a buyer is willing to shell out about $180K. I know of buyers waiting for months now which is bad. Hopefully this is not like a repeat performance from the Edition-1's before.

Drive safe,
amgfan1
Old 08-09-2017, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
OMG, all the same nonsense in here. Conspiracies and guesswork based on nothing lol. How do we know there are 300 AMG GTR sitting at the VPC?

Again more clueless rambling. NO concept or clue about how cars are imported to the U.S.

M