Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't decide on Dynamic Plus and some other options on existing stock.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL350
I can't decide on Dynamic Plus and some other options on existing stock.

I'm looking at some leftover 2017 cars, so my selection is somewhat limited in my local area. Unfortunately I won't be able to drive any of the cars I'm looking at, and I am buying sight-unseen based on the glowing reviews for the GTS. I am one of those guys that does concern myself with depreciation. Not enough to buy a car that I don't like, but enough that it is a priority. So I prefer to have cars that are lighter on the options for this reason. (Options tend to depreciate quicker I think).

The car will be a weekend car, and a car to take on weekend road trips with the wife.

My three most practical options are:

1. a brilliant blue, with some carbon interior bits, and the Burmester system and Nappa interior with the silver/black. This is the most optioned/expensive of my choices.

2. A low option diamond white, but it has the porcelain nappa interior. That might be a bit "much" on the white. This is the least expensive car, by far.

3. A diamond white with a silver interior, and the dynamic plus package.

I think overall I'd prefer to do with #3, but I'm concerned about the feedback that the Dynamic Plus cars can't be converted into a comfortable cruiser. The non DPP cars seem to have the option to go up in terms of sport performance with the Sport+ mode, but also have the option to go a bit more comfortable. In other words, the DPP cars seem somewhat more compromised for their track benefits. But it's hard for me to tell.

Any advice for me in this situation?
Old 05-13-2017, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I have the DPP in my GTS. I think the quality of the ride, and whether it is comfortable for you is truly an individual thing - based on past experience, expectation, local road conditions, etc. I have never driven a non DPP - especially not back to back in identical conditions which would be necessary I think for an accurate comparison appraisal.

Some do say that in their experience the DPP isn't as smooth. There is no doubt that the GTS is made for high performance driving and especially given the stiff sidewalls on the tires that come with it, the ride at times can be a bit stiff and jittery - especially in poor road conditions. I think it's more than fine...but the roads around where I live and the freeways are generally well maintained. Too bad you can't drive one first.

I'm thinking if you want a weekend cruiser for you and the wife, a GTS may not be the best choice unless you both are used to high performance cars. Nothing worse than the wife complaining as the soundtrack to the weekend.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:42 AM
Banned

GL350
We've had corvette Z06s and such in the past, among other vettes. Cross-shopped R8s too. So I think the high performance aspect should be okay. It's really hard to compare without being able to drive!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Trying to understand why you are limited to 3 cars? You can dealer transfer (DT) a car or buy directly yes??

I've driven both and I would not consider a DP car as the ride really gets rough over the slightest change in road conditions and you will never really use it.

Sometimes cars will find you ....
Old 05-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Banned

GL350
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Trying to understand why you are limited to 3 cars? You can dealer transfer (DT) a car or buy directly yes??

I've driven both and I would not consider a DP car as the ride really gets rough over the slightest change in road conditions and you will never really use it.

Sometimes cars will find you ....
I'm in Canada, and inventory is much more limited.

Your answer is helpful though, as you have driven both. I think I will avoid the ones with DP (or in Canada- the Track Pack).

Having "ultra stiff" and "ultra ultra stiff" seems like a less useful range than. stiff and ultra-stiff.

Now to determine if white on porcelain is too "white".
Old 05-14-2017, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Ahh I see. Well, I would also consider an optioned GT if that's the case.

Good luck and be sure to ping us back when your decided.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I cannot answer your specific question but I find it very disappointing that the dealer cannot let you take a 5 min drive. I would personally invest in driving a few hours or flying somewhere back and forth to test a car.
I understand this is only a week end warrior and if you have done this in the past then you are fine with it. Unless the dealer is giving you a hell of a deal, I think you should custom order the car to fit what you desire.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
If your not going to track the car forgo the Dynamic Plus. I didn't feel that much difference in ride quality on normal driving and I tested both on same road albeit it was fairly smooth.
Jimmy
Old 05-14-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
S63 , AMG GTC '18
So you want to buy a GT but you've never driven one? Do yourself a favor and drive. Who knows if you'll even like it?
Old 05-14-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
I also find it odd that they will not let you test drive. I was actuall looking for something else when I bought my GT and they asked me "dude have you driven a GT or GTS yet?" So we went for a drive and I bought one a few days later. The fact that they have 3 and you cannot drive one is funny to me.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Banned

GL350
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
I also find it odd that they will not let you test drive. I was actuall looking for something else when I bought my GT and they asked me "dude have you driven a GT or GTS yet?" So we went for a drive and I bought one a few days later. The fact that they have 3 and you cannot drive one is funny to me.
These are at different dealers.

Canadian car dealers are vastly different from American ones - in a bunch of very bad ways.

- They hate working over the internet
- They will sit on inventory at a high price for ages, rather than turning stuff on volume
- They get legitimately offended when you make an "offer"
- They often are resistant to doing things (like having demo cars) which would be considered good customer service or even good sales.

I bought a number of cars from the US when the CDN dollar was higher than the USD, and it was always a much better experience.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 141 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S | 2016 Ferrari F12
If you have the brilliant blue even close to consideration, go for it. It looks good in pictures, it is absolutely stunning in person. I was looking for a white diamond and my brilliant blue found me.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Option #3 for me.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
I'm in Canada. Toronto to be specific.

Originally Posted by McGG
These are at different dealers.

Canadian car dealers are vastly different from American ones - in a bunch of very bad ways.

- They hate working over the internet
- They will sit on inventory at a high price for ages, rather than turning stuff on volume
- They get legitimately offended when you make an "offer"
- They often are resistant to doing things (like having demo cars) which would be considered good customer service or even good sales.

I bought a number of cars from the US when the CDN dollar was higher than the USD, and it was always a much better experience.
i have had nothing but the opposite. I was able to take one home for an hour to see if it fits my driveway etc.. I also negotiated a decent deal. I also recently found out that the rest of the factory inventory was recently liquidated because they didn't want any inventory.

There will be no 2018 GT/GTS in Canada for 2018, only the GTC 50 edition and GTR. There are however a bunch of decent low mileage 2016 for sale...

If you are in the Toronto area PM me and I'd be happy to meet up and introduce you to the Gentleman who takes care of me.

Cheers.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Option-1 - great colour, nice CF touches, Burmeister and most spec.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol
My intended use is identical to yours - weekends with the wife and or occasional 200 mile spirited round trips on secondary roads.

My wife isn't a 'car girl'. I bought mine with DP without having driven it. Fine for me. But my wife's first comments after spending 15 minutes as a passenger in 'Comfort' mode were, "When can I drive it? I think it would be more fun than as a passenger". No idea if the non-DP is less brutish...but I kind of doubt it. I think it's in the DNA.

For that reason, I'd actually lean toward the DP. My sense is that given the brute this car is, secondary buyers will prefer the 'real deal', if for no other reason than track use.

Also, my $.02-cents, I'd forego the high end stereo option. Even the 'quiet mode' exhaust howl in this car is so loud I can't imagine appreciating a stereo system that has to compete with it.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
S63 , AMG GTC '18
Personally I can't understand why someone would choose the Premium surround sound system but not the DP.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Banned

GL350
Originally Posted by mvb3
Personally I can't understand why someone would choose the Premium surround sound system but not the DP.
strictly for comfort. My view is that for a non-track car, the sport+ mode sounds like it is plenty buttoned down, with a broader range into the "comfort" zone when needed. The DP cars seem like they would be less comfortable for touring when the car is pressed into that role.

I have no interest in the higher-end sound system in particular.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:38 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by mvb3
Everyones requirements are different ..... and they can change

I'm just back after my longest run in the car (300km's), following which I have configured Individual as a slightly more sporty Comfort, in an effort to give me 3-modes that I will use, rather than just Comfort and Sport+. Middle ground can be good

So, without an opportunity to try DP, I would not risk narrowing the cars wide spectrum of abilities, in an effort to make it more track focused...... unless I wanted a track car...... and then it would not be a GT

Basic Burmeister is just about acceptable, so god knows the standard kit would be drowned out by the v8 and exhaust, without question ...... and that would suck
Old 05-15-2017, 11:40 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by McGG
strictly for comfort. My view is that for a non-track car, the sport+ mode sounds like it is plenty buttoned down, with a broader range into the "comfort" zone when needed. The DP cars seem like they would be less comfortable for touring when the car is pressed into that role.

I have no interest in the higher-end sound system in particular.
There are 2-levels of Burmeister basic and surround - the later costs 2.5x the cost of basic

Standard non-Burmeister would be a tad sad IMO
Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol
Originally Posted by xbox
There are 2-levels of Burmeister basic and surround - the later costs 2.5x the cost of basic

Standard non-Burmeister would be a tad sad IMO
The OE Becker 'stereo' in my 1987 560SL (two 4" under dash speakers) sounds almost as good at idle as the standard Burmeister does at highway speed. I can't imagine appreciating the premium Burmeister unless the car is parked.