Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Leave Well Enough Alone

Old 06-02-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol
Can't Leave Well Enough Alone

OK, looking for real world experience with modifications. I've seldom left 'well enough alone'. Sometimes I'm happy with the result (suspension), sometimes not (loud exhaust). This one seems pretty dialed in out of the factory but looking for insight:

Scenario is that this GTS is not a daily driver. Garage queen, max 3-4k miles per year. No track time anticipated. Hopefully a long term keeper. I'm pretty OCD about 'tweaking to perfection'. Mods I'm pondering and asking for feedback:

1. Coils: The GTS suspension seems robust enough 'as is'. However, I appreciate the aesthetic of a closed gap in the wheel well. Will the KW's noticeably stiffen the ride if lowered say, 1.5"? I want to preserve the ride quality of 'comfort' mode.

2. Tune: Top end isn't a priority. Most driving is around town and on higher speed, twisty secondary roads where it seem a tune might hit the sweet spot of this powerband range. Thinking of Renntech as I'm not familiar enough with the others to risk damage. The car is already loud enough so I'd probably pass on the downpipes. What if any damage will this do long term?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
My 2 cents...

I do go to the track but that aside I've installed 3 things that have taken an almost perfect car and really closed the almost non existent gap.

1. H&R spacers. 15mm rear. 5mm front. It looks perfect and actually helps with the oversteer at the track. Start here before you do coil overs.

2. I have a tuning box on the car from Tricolore out of the U.K. It's much cheaper and easy to return to stock for service. I'm now about 600 hp and it's feels great.

3. Pedal Box. Can't say enough about this little gadget. It completely smoothed out the throttle lag and in concert with the tune make the car just about perfect.

Ive done some other track related things but they would be meaningless for day to day driving. I didn't lower the car as I'm ok with the height and anything lower would scrape everywhere as that doesn't interest me.
The following users liked this post:
06032 (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I like the appeal and look of a lowered car but spending $2.5K seems excessive. The labor is intensive as you have to gain access to the back from the trunk and have to strip it. It will also eat tires at a much faster pace so be ready to change your tires every 4K year at your rate of mileage. The car is already low enough that you will have to be extra careful every time you go somewhere and park.
A tune wakes up the vehicle and makes the car a whole different animal that can keep up with the lower end supercars. If your local dealer or close by is Renntech certified then it's a no brainer.
Congrats on the GTS-E1
The following users liked this post:
06032 (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol
Originally Posted by orenlasko
I do go to the track but that aside I've installed 3 things that have taken an almost perfect car and really closed the almost non existent gap.

1. H&R spacers. 15mm rear. 5mm front. It looks perfect and actually helps with the oversteer at the track. Start here before you do coil overs.

2. I have a tuning box on the car from Tricolore out of the U.K. It's much cheaper and easy to return to stock for service. I'm now about 600 hp and it's feels great.

3. Pedal Box. Can't say enough about this little gadget. It completely smoothed out the throttle lag and in concert with the tune make the car just about perfect.

Pray tell...what is a 'pedal box'. Newbie here....

Ive done some other track related things but they would be meaningless for day to day driving. I didn't lower the car as I'm ok with the height and anything lower would scrape everywhere as that doesn't interest me.
Understood and tend to agree. I'm not sure the improved aesthetic is worth the pragmatic hassles which is why I ask. I'm already surprised with how easily the stock height navigates imperfections and suspect the engineers already pushed it to the lowered limit before hitting the precipice.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:06 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by 06032
Understood and tend to agree. I'm not sure the improved aesthetic is worth the pragmatic hassles which is why I ask. I'm already surprised with how easily the stock height navigates imperfections and suspect the engineers already pushed it to the lowered limit before hitting the precipice.
I agree, it'd be nice to drop it but it drives so nice as is and doesn't bottom out at all. Last car was a 997 4s dropped on 20s. Looked really nice but hassle driving.