MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   Option Regret (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/670095-option-regret.html)

xbox 06-15-2017 11:35 AM

Option Regret

I specced my car pretty high and don't feel any options were a waste.

The fact i cant program the garage door opener is my issue, but i digress.

So, I actually regret not getting the following:

1) Ceramics. I had a drive in a GTS with them and they can truly stop the world spinning. Personally, i like overbraked cars, so wouldnt want to chip my car to 600 with its curent stoppers.

2) More interior CF - sills and brace, to match the centre console.

Can always do another, but very much the law of diminishing returns, so may have a look at retro prices.

Anyone else miss some ticks, not thinking the car would be such a 4-wheeled riot?

California John 06-15-2017 12:06 PM

No problem with the garage door opener with me...but I wondered about the entertainment system and Bermester High End surround sound. I am not sure how much better it might have been and I'm a bit disappointed in the standard system in the GTS. So.... when I specced my GTC I selected the Bermester High End system.

xbox 06-15-2017 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by California John (Post 7180804)
No problem with the garage door opener with me...but I wondered about the entertainment system and Bermester High End surround sound. I am not sure how much better it might have been and I'm a bit disappointed in the standard system in the GTS. So.... when I specced my GTC I selected the Bermester High End system.

True, god knows how bad the standard sound would have been, as Burmeister cheap is little more than adequate on the GT/GTS - fwiw, its better on the good ladies GLC coupe.

larrypmyers 06-15-2017 12:13 PM

No problem with garage door opener, I had my youngest kid program it. :D:

xbox 06-15-2017 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by larrypmyers (Post 7180814)
No problem with garage door opener, I had my youngest kid program it. :D:

LOL - thing is I'm the go to guy for this sort of thing...... so where does that leave me :slap:

.... new garage door :)

06032 06-15-2017 06:55 PM

Good question/post.

I bought my Ed1 in the standard $144k format. Can't argue. However:

1. As others have said, the basic Burmeister is barely adequate. But the upgrade isn't worth $4k. Why not just make it decent to begin with. Truly, this is nothing more than an upgraded, front-facing version of the Becker in my '87 560SL. Disappointing.

2. I wish I could add interior CF bits. The matte black console and vent surround leave me wanting. If I can't find/justify OE replacements, I'll probably wrap them plus the crossbar.

3. The CF roof is *****in. But I'd probably have spec'd a pano for brightness. As is, I feel like I'm driving a race car. No point in opening windows. So be it....bring on the tune, maybe stripes, etc. and commit happily to this genre.

4. No regrets at having the standard, large pizza-plate sized standard rotors/brakes and not the CF units. I don't track (yet). For the street, stock alone will dislocate your neck.

5. Again, because I bought an 'off the shelf' Ed1, it came with uber-grippy suede seats. My preference would have been a set of quilted leather units and contrasting surround bits but, meh. First world problem. Life is good.

6. Thought I would want the exterior CF bits but not so much now.....

All in all, it's hard to argue with the Ed1. Basic stereo is my biggest gripe. But the cackling symphony leaving my arse end is fair recompense. I have a few interior upgrades planned because that's where I live.

McGG 06-15-2017 07:06 PM

I'm not sure about the Mercedes parts, but lots of track rats in the Porsche world (even in the GT3 RS) spec the steel brakes, and replace them frequently. They don't get the CF brakes.

AMG 17GT 06-15-2017 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by McGG (Post 7181262)
I'm not sure about the Mercedes parts, but lots of track rats in the Porsche world (even in the GT3 RS) spec the steel brakes, and replace them frequently. They don't get the CF brakes.

That is indeed correct with P cars.

All of the AMG driving schools use the ceramic brakes for a reason. They are more tolerant.

DragonRR 06-15-2017 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7181271)

All of the AMG driving schools use the ceramic brakes for a reason. They are more tolerant.

Actually in the UK at least all the cars I saw at the AMG school late last year had standard steel discs. According to the trainer they are cheaper to maintain and perform well enough for use in the school environment at least where no-one is trying to eek out maximum performance. He also said that most customers don't have ceramics and having steel therefore gives them a better profile match.

xbox 06-16-2017 12:55 AM

Thing is the discs fitted on the GT are smaller than GTS.

They are fine, but IMO, tip the equation in favour of ceramics at €8k, versus >€20k for the GTS.

On the plus side, I can clean them easier :slap:

xbox 06-16-2017 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by 06032 (Post 7181256)
Good question/post.

I bought my Ed1 in the standard $144k format. Can't argue. However:

1. As others have said, the basic Burmeister is barely adequate. But the upgrade isn't worth $4k. Why not just make it decent to begin with. Truly, this is nothing more than an upgraded, front-facing version of the Becker in my '87 560SL. Disappointing.

2. I wish I could add interior CF bits. The matte black console and vent surround leave me wanting. If I can't find/justify OE replacements, I'll probably wrap them plus the crossbar.

3. The CF roof is *****in. But I'd probably have spec'd a pano for brightness. As is, I feel like I'm driving a race car. No point in opening windows. So be it....bring on the tune, maybe stripes, etc. and commit happily to this genre.

4. No regrets at having the standard, large pizza-plate sized standard rotors/brakes and not the CF units. I don't track (yet). For the street, stock alone will dislocate your neck.

5. Again, because I bought an 'off the shelf' Ed1, it came with uber-grippy suede seats. My preference would have been a set of quilted leather units and contrasting surround bits but, meh. First world problem. Life is good.

6. Thought I would want the exterior CF bits but not so much now.....

All in all, it's hard to argue with the Ed1. Basic stereo is my biggest gripe. But the cackling symphony leaving my arse end is fair recompense. I have a few interior upgrades planned because that's where I live.

Agree on all points :y

I love the CF roof and only got the pano for looks - just realised I always have the screen open.

The 2-tone and quilted leather interiors look great - not a fan of anything else tbh.

Will price the crossbar .... and be sitting down :duh:

California John 06-16-2017 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7181271)

At the AMG Driving School I was at last October? in Laguna Seca, the GTS cars had a mixture of braking systems. Some were ceramic some not. Not a preponderance either way. I'm scheduled for another event at Laguna Seca this November and I'll check it out. Hope they have a GTC cabriolet.

emericr 06-16-2017 03:37 PM

Road Atlanta ADA last month had a mixture and I pointed that in my review posted here that I saw no difference between both brakes. It simply is not worth $8K...
I have no option regret other than the lighted star not being available and with the upgraded interior option, my steering wheel was not available in regular leather.

NewportSLS 06-16-2017 09:45 PM

Ceramics are good for showing off at cars and coffee.

Jim Brady 06-23-2017 05:07 PM

My CF are especially good at out braking steel shod Porsche GT-3's on the track of course.

AMG 17GT 06-23-2017 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7189577)
My CF are especially good at out braking steel shod Porsche GT-3's on the track of course.

Jim,
What tracks are you running and how does car compare to GT3 on track? I know you mentioned your were a lone AMG guy a lot of times.

Jim Brady 06-26-2017 04:43 PM

Option Regrets

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7189629)
Jim,
What tracks are you running and how does car compare to GT3 on track? I know you mentioned your were a lone AMG guy a lot of times.

Willow Springs (Big Track) mostly. It's a horsepower track with the only real heavy braking would be in turn one.
WSIR configuration favors the GTS where a track like Laguna Seca (Mazda Raceway) favors 911's.
I've raced 6 different Porsche models so I'm not a hater just like something different. I'm more than happy with my choice.
I think most club drivers will be faster in a GTS than the GT3. It takes skill to get the last two tens out of a GT3 at least one's I've driven.
The torque out of the corners favors the GTS as well as superiority on the straights which the Porsche can't over come given equal driver.
The GTS CF brakes are like a pit bull on mailman with a sack full of Omaha Steaks. Meaning it'll haul you down. The few GT3's I've encountered were all on steel brakes and couldn't show the brake superiority. I really think it's a weak argument that the steel brakes are as good! Ya, I've read where Porsche guys take them off and use steel for the track, this is an economic way to get more track time without breaking the bank.
I've had some great duel's with Cayman GT4's with CF brakes and a good club driver. Still the torque and HP advantage goes to the GTS in a 30 minute session.

COOPERDB 06-26-2017 05:16 PM

`

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7192223)
Willow Springs (Big Track) mostly. It's a horsepower track with the only real heavy braking would be in turn one.
WSIR configuration favors the GTS where a track like Laguna Seca (Mazda Raceway) favors 911's.
I've raced 6 different Porsche models so I'm not a hater just like something different. I'm more than happy with my choice.
I think most club drivers will be faster in a GTS than the GT3. It takes skill to get the last two tens out of a GT3 at least one's I've driven.
The torque out of the corners favors the GTS as well as superiority on the straights which the Porsche can't over come given equal driver.
The GTS CF brakes are like a pit bull on mailman with a sack full of Omaha Steaks. Meaning it'll haul you down. The few GT3's I've encountered were all on steel brakes and couldn't show the brake superiority. I really think it's a weak argument that the steel brakes are as good! Ya, I've read where Porsche guys take them off and use steel for the track, this is an economic way to get more track time without breaking the bank.
I've had some great duel's with Cayman GT4's with CF brakes and a good club driver. Still the torque and HP advantage goes to the GTS in a 30 minute session.

Great post

Great information

Thank-You
D.B.

`

California John 06-26-2017 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7192223)

I know the track very well. What times are you turning in the GTS?

Jim Brady 06-27-2017 05:22 PM

John,
These are times with West Coast Racing which limits passing unless your running red group which requires safety eqt like cage, harness etc. My car is bone stock so I have to run with the blue group where there are a lot of back markers that kill some laps due to only passing on front and back straights. Not making excuses.

With Michelin Super Sports in S+ low 1:36's. These heat up fast and go away after two laps.
With MPSC 2's in S+, high 1:32's had issue with dynamic mount malfunction. Only got one session before warning on dynamic mount.
I called MB Saturday from the track and they had no mounts in the country as this was a very rare failure. I had a new one installed by the following Weds.
I'm confident with a few more sessions and race mode, I'll get into the 1:31's. Not bad for a old guy.
Cheers!

California John 06-27-2017 05:43 PM

Are those times times when you were blocked by back markers? Or are those pretty straightforward times with no one blocking you? I can imagine how the difference in tires makes a huge difference in the lap times.

Hey, we old guys get to have fun too! Willow Springs was my home track for many many years. For a couple of years I time trialed with local racing groups, with the same rules about the passing as you are experiencing. But I got tired of time trailing, (I had an old twin turbo supra from 1994 that I turned a 1:34.9 with), but I just got tired of the restrictions. I then, with the friend of mine bought a real racecar got a racing license with SCCA and then raced for 10 years Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca et cetera. Fun, fun, fun! Best time at Willow with the race car was a 1.24 or 25.

We would come out of turn 5 flat out and not lift until turn 1!!! Had to have a perfect line through 8 and 9 to not end up spinning off 9 - but what a ride as the car would push out to the very edge of 9, just touching the dirt. Had a Swift DB2.

Just remembered: Although the TT 1994 Supra was stock engine-wise I did put R1 just barely street legal tires on it when I raced and I also put on better brakes...can't remember if they were Porterfields or not. I also had a DP on it. With the DP the turbos would spool up instantly! But the car would push quite a bit - especially in turn 2.

06032 06-28-2017 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7193410)
John,
These are times with West Coast Racing which limits passing unless your running red group which requires safety eqt like cage, harness etc. My car is bone stock so I have to run with the blue group where there are a lot of back markers that kill some laps due to only passing on front and back straights. Not making excuses.

With Michelin Super Sports in S+ low 1:36's. These heat up fast and go away after two laps.
With MPSC 2's in S+, high 1:32's had issue with dynamic mount malfunction. Only got one session before warning on dynamic mount.
I called MB Saturday from the track and they had no mounts in the country as this was a very rare failure. I had a new one installed by the following Weds.
I'm confident with a few more sessions and race mode, I'll get into the 1:31's. Not bad for a old guy.
Cheers!

Are you guys running stock or tuned ECU's?

Jim Brady 06-28-2017 02:08 PM

Option Regrets

Originally Posted by 06032 (Post 7194138)
Are you guys running stock or tuned ECU's?

Stock.

Jim Brady 06-28-2017 02:16 PM

Option Regrets

[QUOTE=California John;7193425]Are those times times when you were blocked by back markers? Or are those pretty straightforward times with no one blocking you? I can imagine how the difference in tires makes a huge difference in the lap times.

Saturday has lots of traffic never got a clean run through turn 8 with the Super Sports.
Had a nice head to head with GT4 for a couple of laps then had dynamic mount malfunction.
Sunday usually is pretty thinned out when you really get open track.
West Coast racing is a great group if you want to have a no pressure event with many different cars.