Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Reduce Level Warning: This came on at 230 miles, should i be concerned?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
Engine Oil Reduce Level Warning: This came on at 230 miles, should i be concerned?

This came on the same day I picked up my car. During the first, second day it kinda smelled like burning oil. My car has 900 miles now. I brought it to the dealer to just siphon or take out a little bit of oil but they said that I have to leave it for a new days. I haven't had the time to bring it in, but it pops up every other day.

My concern is that I don't really want the technician to take me engine apart. On my previous AMG 63 car, I had a simple oil light and the technician took everything apart. The car only had 1900 miles and after I picked it up, it didn't run the same, maybe its just me but It wasn't a good feeling seeing my new car's new AMG handbuilt engine in pieces.

Should I just wait til the car burns the excess oil because i'm sure it will anyway?
Old 07-02-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes C200 CGI, CLS350, CLA45 AMG, AMG GTS(ordered)
The engine has a dry sump and to check engine oil level properly you need to turn off the engine and wait about 15 minutes before checking the oil level with the dip stick. Try it yourself and see if someone overfilled, and by how much. It is easy to siphon some oil out through the dipstick opening to the correct oil level.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
If you plan on keeping the car I would bring it in and have the issues checked. Maybe just a sensitive oil sensor, but the smell of burning oil would concern me if I owned and was keeping the car.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
It's a hyper sensitive gauge, so if a a touch higher than mid-stick it's going to heat up and read high. I would check it but if you're just over the halfway mark I wouldn't worry about it
Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Nothing to worry about. The tech just slightly overfilled and it will take them 5 minutes to remedy at.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 239 Likes on 152 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
I erroneously added too much oil -- about 3/4 quart too much when I did not wait the required time and misread the dipstick. This message appeared in RED. It took several tries, but I used a turkey baster and 18" plastic tube to suck out about a half quart of oil through the filler cap and dipstick tube. The message then appeared in YELLOW as yours shows. Removing another 1/4 quart eliminated the message.

I'm guessing that due to the dry sump, overfill would not damage the engine (no oil in an oil pan for the crank to slosh through), but the oil might overflow from the tank on the fender. In any case, the oil level should be reduced by you or your mechanic.

The directions for checking the oil are confusing and not consistent between the hardcopy owner manual and on-line manual. I've asked MB for clarification but have not received any assistance on this.

Last edited by slk55er; 07-03-2017 at 05:52 PM.