MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   Sound Deadening Mats Installed at Rear (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/675411-sound-deadening-mats-installed-rear.html)

slk55er 07-25-2017 01:44 PM

Sound Deadening Mats Installed at Rear

4 Attachment(s)
This info is posted in the thread about removing the rear hatch liner located at https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...hatchback.html. That thread contains valuable instructions on removal of the hatch liners thanks to "Alexfor8."

Unfortunately, I did not take any photos inside the hatch when I had the panels removed. I did take photos inside the rear wheel well which I'll post here.

I was particularly bothered by the road noise while in the passenger seat which I believe was coming from the resonate structure shown covered in the photos, including UNDER this structure. (With my musical background, I thought I could detect the same resonant frequency that was bothersome as a passenger coming from this structure when I tapped on it.)

I applied Noico 80 mil butyl over this structure and elsewhere inside the wheel well. I also sprayed the back side of the felt-like wheel well liner with DEI Boom Mat Spray. I also applied the Noico 80 mil butyl and Noico open cell foam extensively inside the hatch under the panels which I removed. This included on the floor of the hatch and on the wheel wells to the extent that I could access. All products ordered via Amazon Prime.

Note that Noico states that their products are only designed for interior installation so I am not sure that the product installed in the wheel wells as shown in the photos will last and be OK. I would not install the foam there, but I see no reason that the butyl will be a problem because it will not absorb water, it is firmly bonded to the metal and it is pretty well protected from the elements by the wheel well liner. Also note that Mercedes has installed some material similar to the Noico butyl in the hatch under the paneling which I covered with another layer of the butyl.

I have not made a long trip yet after installing these items and my impressions are subjective, but I believe there is a significant reduction in road noise. The total weight of material I added is about 15 pounds. I know this will have some negligible impact on performance, but I wish Mercedes would have done more to reduce road noise, particularly from the rear tires.

Jan AMG 07-25-2017 03:55 PM

Well done, I have been thinking about doing the same to my CLS63, which is noisier (road & tire noise) than my old E55.

okbarnett 07-25-2017 05:43 PM

Ive put it on the outside wheel wells before and its fine. But to get better coverage I would do the spray on

AMG 17GT 07-25-2017 07:14 PM

Looking to lower tire noise a bit with PS4. Not wanting to deaden exhaust symphony :D

slk55er 07-26-2017 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7220339)
Looking to lower tire noise a bit with PS4. Not wanting to deaden exhaust symphony :D

I've found that by reducing the road noise, the exhaust note is more dominant and "pleasant" in an AMG way, if you know what I mean.

slk55er 07-26-2017 11:47 AM

Alexfor8's posts with photos and instructions were very helpful, thank you, in removing and re-installing the panels on the sides, bottom and rear of the hatch.

Of course, I did not have a "Mounting Wedge" as shown in the 4785RG page, but it was easy to slide a 1" wood chisel under each side of the back moulding and pop it up and off. There are about 6 pins that hold this piece in place.

I did not remove the panels shown in the 4780RG page, but to pull out the side panels of the hatch, I did have to pop off the bottom of the trim piece that goes up the C-pilar from the rear hatch. Thankfully, everything went back in place with no extra parts lying around afterward.

AMG 17GT 07-26-2017 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by okbarnett (Post 7220236)
Ive put it on the outside wheel wells before and its fine. But to get better coverage I would do the spray on

Interesting idea. What product did you use as spray on?

DragonRR 07-27-2017 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7221568)
Interesting idea. What product did you use as spray on?

He used "Boom Mat Spray-On".

Banzairacer 01-08-2019 07:50 PM

How has the longevity and sound deadening vs exhaust notes fared?
thanks,

S

slk55er 01-08-2019 08:44 PM

Well, I really can't say, having traded my GTS a year ago. But I am confident that it will have fared well.

Banzairacer 01-08-2019 09:26 PM

Sound insulation

Originally Posted by slk55er (Post 7649355)
Well, I really can't say, having traded my GTS a year ago. But I am confident that it will have fared well.

Thanks SLK55er.

the main concern I have is that sound deadening muffled the exhaust notes. Longevity is a secondary or even tertiary issue.

AMG1911 01-08-2020 07:05 AM

I own a 2016 GTS.

How did you remove the wheel well liner?

slk55er 01-08-2020 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by AMG1911 (Post 7947246)
I own a 2016 GTS.

How did you remove the wheel well liner?

It's been a couple of years since I sold my GT S, so I don't recall exactly. But as I do recall, after removing the wheel, it was not difficult, all done within the wheel well by popping out some connector pins and removing a few plastic nuts.