Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is the new Porsche GT3 comparing to the AMG GT R on the track?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Edition-507
Deleted.

Last edited by amgfan1; 08-10-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 08-10-2017, 01:02 PM

C63 Edition-507
Yo ROMEOE55 how about some real fun before the weather gets cold and our TOYZ go into hibernation. Oh sorry I forgot you only have one. How about best of five laps, winner take all. My Viper ACR-Extreme against your heavily modded base AMG GT?

I'd love for you to upgrade to this new beast AMG GT-R. Or do we wait for a decade again like you did with your old clunker CL 65 with your GT?

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Yeah it was a failed finger follower right? And cams?

Well let's hope you don't get fingered Florence
Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Yeah it was a failed finger follower right? And cams?

Well let's hope you don't get fingered Florence
This is correct.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Porsche Macan GTS, 2010 BMW 135i
I know these aren't the exact trim levels the sub is talking about, but I drove the AMG GTS and the GT3RS back to back at the Vegas Speedway circuit last weekend. The AMG really surprised me; I knew it was going to be good but I didn't expect it to be that planted and balanced. It's going to be my next car.

The GT3RS is lighter and therefore easier to place, and it's so communicative you can really make it dance with more confidence. They both get around the track extremely well, they just do it in a different manner.

I'd buy the GT3RS if I could afford it, but for 1/3 the price (used), the AMG GTS gives you more than 1/3 of the performance of the GT3RS. Heck, the AMG GTS is an 8.5 if the GT3RS is a 10. Plus the AMG is much better as a daily.
The following users liked this post:
amgfan1 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 03:32 PM

C63 Edition-507
Well stated. I have not driven the GT-R and own the 991.1 GT3RS. The driving feedback if I may point out is what I like best in the 991.1 GT3RS. More and more cars are now using the RWS.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by Bodie217
I know these aren't the exact
trim levels the sub is talking about, but I drove the AMG GTS and the GT3RS back to back at the Vegas Speedway circuit last weekend. The AMG really surprised me; I knew it was going to be good but I didn't expect it to be that planted and balanced. It's going to be my next car.

The GT3RS is lighter and therefore easier to place, and it's so communicative you can really make it dance with more confidence. They both get around the track extremely well, they just do it in a different manner.

I'd buy the GT3RS if I could afford it, but for 1/3 the price (used), the AMG GTS gives you more than 1/3 of the performance of the GT3RS. Heck, the AMG GTS is an 8.5 if the GT3RS is a 10. Plus the AMG is much better as a daily.
Bodie217 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 03:34 PM

C63 Edition-507
Thumbs up on the PORSCHE.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by surfah
This is correct.
Bodie217 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by amgfan1
Thumbs up on the PORSCHE.

Drive safe,
amgfan1
Watch out for that finger Florence, err thumb
Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
S550
On what basis is the GT R supposed to be compared against the GT2RS, the GT S to the GT3RS, and the "regular AMG GT" against the GT3?

Price wise, the standard GT goes against the 911 Carrera S, the GT S against the 911 GTS, and the GT R against the Turbo or GT3 (if you can even get an allocation).

I think people are really overlooking the fact that the AMG GT, in all its variants, is a massive bargain. It's fine to compare cars that pump out similar power figures; but in the real world, price point defines competitors and Mercedes is winning that game hands down.

The upcoming GT Black Series will be a more appropriate competitor to the GT2RS; and I'm not sure why the hell anyone would even bring up the Mc 720S in this thread...that was just dumb lol.

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
If we really get tight on comparisons, the GTR should go up against the GT2RS, the GTs compares to the GT3RS and the regular AMG GT compares to a GT3, MB GT cars vs Porsche GT cars in that order. They are all sick cars and realistically most of us will never see the full potential of them, or 10/10's of their ability. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZh8ESDXUfs
thebishman (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Uhlenhaut
On what basis is the GT R supposed to be compared against the GT2RS, the GT S to the GT3RS, and the "regular AMG GT" against the GT3?

Price wise, the standard GT goes against the 911 Carrera S, the GT S against the 911 GTS, and the GT R against the Turbo or GT3 (if you can even get an allocation).

I think people are really overlooking the fact that the AMG GT, in all its variants, is a massive bargain. It's fine to compare cars that pump out similar power figures; but in the real world, price point defines competitors and Mercedes is winning that game hands down.

The upcoming GT Black Series will be a more appropriate competitor to the GT2RS; and I'm not sure why the hell anyone would even bring up the Mc 720S in this thread...that was just dumb lol.
Well stated and better then I expressed. Here's my thumbs up

I think the crazy comparisons are based on the crazy fast time the GTR put up on the ring. That said huge compliment for the GTR.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 08-10-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Porsche Macan GTS, 2010 BMW 135i
It's a massive bargain indeed, especially if you pick one up second hand. What I don't understand is the depreciation. I know Mercs depreciate rather quickly, but this is a fairly low-production car compared to other Merc models, something like 1250 sold in the US each year. The Porsche 911 (any variant) depreciates much slower than the AMG GT, and almost 10k are sold each year in the US. Why would I pay the same money for a 2015 911 CS with 80hp less?

Old 08-10-2017, 05:12 PM

C63 Edition-507
Thanks will do ROMEOE55. How is the base AMG GT doing? Good? How's the depreciation? Does it feel like a ship anchor?

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Watch out for that finger Florence, err thumb
Old 08-10-2017, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Thanks will do ROMEOE55. How is the base AMG GT doing? Good? How's the depreciation? Does it feel like a ship anchor?

Drive safe,
amgfan1
Thanks for asking. It's an absolute blast to drive every other day. The V8 biturbo surges and grumbles like a proper car. It doesn't sound like a Volkswagen. This car is indeed a bargain. No anchors, just kick *** sailing. ..

And the torque is ridiculous. Streeting around I get thumbs up several times a day. You don't have to wind it up to 7000 rpm to get into any powerband, and get into less safe driving. You know?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:32 PM

C63 Edition-507
Good to know you are enjoying it. Torque is a strong point on turbo engines. It has been awhile since I had turbo cars.

Soon I will get the sensation you are talking about when I take delivery of my TURBO S "Exclusive Series." It is the TURBO S with 607BHP and 553 lb-ft torque @ 2,250-4,000 RPM into it plus a lot of carbon appointments. Only 500 made worldwide and only 180 coming to the USA. The 918 owners gets first dibs. There were about 290 original 918 owners, maybe down now to 250 as some have already been kicked out of the program. Offering started from the good standing 250, 918 owners here in the states who placed the 918 Spyder order and they go down to the end of the list. Some 918 owners declined and after that round the regular PORSCHE buyers comes up
next. I've always been fascinated by the durability of the TURBO and TURBO S of PORSCHE. It is "Bullet Proof."

I got cold feet with the AMG GT cars due to the horrendous Edition-1 issues. Hoping AMG will do better moving forward. Anyway enjoy your GT. So at some point in time are you upgrading to GT-R?

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Thanks for asking. It's an absolute blast to drive every other day. The V8 biturbo surges and grumbles like a proper car. It doesn't sound like a Volkswagen. This car is indeed a bargain. No anchors, just kick *** sailing. ..

And the torque is ridiculous. Streeting around I get thumbs up several times a day. You don't have to wind it up to 7000 rpm to get into any powerband, and get into less safe driving. You know?

Last edited by amgfan1; 08-10-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
[QUOTE=amgfan1;7235930]Good to know you are enjoying it. Torque is a strong point on turbo engines. It has been awhile since I had turbo cars.

Soon I will get the sensation you are talking about when I take delivery of my TURBO S "Exclusive Series." It is the TURBO S with 607BHP and 553 lb-ft torque @ 2,250-4,000 RPM into it plus a lot of carbon appointments. Only 500 made worldwide and only 180 coming to the USA. The 918 owners gets first dibs. There were about 290 original 918 owners, maybe down now to 250 as some have already been kicked out of the program. Offering started from the good standing 250, 918 owners here in the states who placed the 918 Spyder order and they go down to the end of the list. Some 918 owners declined and after that round the regular PORSCHE buyers comes up
next. I've always been fascinated by the durability of the TURBO and TURBO S of PORSCHE. It is "Bullet Proof."

I got cold feet with the AMG GT cars due to the horrendous Edition-1 issues. Hoping AMG will do better moving forward. Anyway enjoy your GT. So at some point in time are you upgrading to GT-R?

Drive safe,
amgfan1
[/QUOTE

King Midas and the Emperors new clothes combined

Send us a picture of you and your cars Florencio.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 08-10-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:38 PM

C63 Edition-507
Will do as soon as the "Exclusive Series" arrives, I will do a photo shoot of my Trifecta.

LINK:

Drive safe,
amgfan1

QUOTE=AMG 17GT;7235955]
Good to know you are enjoying it. Torque is a strong point on turbo engines. It has been awhile since I had turbo cars.

Drive safe,
amgfan1
[/QUOTE

King Midas and the Emperors new clothes combined

Send us a picture of you and your cars Florencio.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43

Its not about the price, its about the best performance cars each manufacturer offers, including Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McLaren. Just because MB AMG vehicles are the cheapest of the bunch, they are still compared to the others on and off the track. Yes, the AMG GT vehicles are a bargain for the performance, but they are still the cheapest with the worst resale. Its funny that you all keep talking about the AMG GT BS when the GTR isn't even on the streets of the U.S. yet, one step at a time boys. Can't wait to see these GTR's on the track in the hands of amateur drivers, should be for some good video, in a bad way.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Its not about the price, its about the best performance cars each manufacturer offers, including Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McLaren. Just because MB AMG vehicles are the cheapest of the bunch, they are still compared to the others on and off the track. Yes, the AMG GT vehicles are a bargain for the performance, but they are still the cheapest with the worst resale. Its funny that you all keep talking about the AMG GT BS when the GTR isn't even on the streets of the U.S. yet, one step at a time boys. Can't wait to see these GTR's on the track in the hands of amateur drivers, should be for some good video, in a bad way.
What are you trying to imply? You think an "amateur" driver would do better in a GT3 than an AMG GT R on a road course? Are you serious? Wow.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by thebishman
What are you trying to imply? You think an "amateur" driver would do better in a GT3 than an AMG GT R on a road course? Are you serious? Wow.

Absolutely, Porsche GT cars are easier to drive faster for amateurs, with all the power of the GTR, that *** end will be hanging out a lot. Now for a pro driver, the GTR will be a lot faster because it would be driven 10/10's. A GT3 with less power, out of turns will very rarely hang the *** out, or oversteer compared to the GTR, or actually even the GTS. The GT3 has a 100hp less than a GTR and way less torque.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
No logic there at all. Watching this lap in GTR, it's amazing how stable car is at speed on one difficult track.

Robbie, weren't you quoting a yet unreleased GT2RS lap time here?? One step at a time brother.
thebishman (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Robbie, weren't you quoting a yet unreleased GT2RS lap time here?? One step at a time brother.

Yes, I was, many are built and have been to the Ring for lap times and driving around the streets in Europe, AMG BS isn't built yet, not even any specifics about the car. Big difference.
Since you think that an amateur would do better in a AMG GT car over a Porsche GT3, why don't you and I meet at a road course, I'll let you drive my car around the track and if you actually try and not let up, you will turn a better time in my car than yours. No bet, just a couple guys ripping around the track.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Absolutely, Porsche GT cars are easier to drive faster for amateurs, with all the power of the GTR, that *** end will be hanging out a lot. Now for a pro driver, the GTR will be a lot faster because it would be driven 10/10's. A GT3 with less power, out of turns will very rarely hang the *** out, or oversteer compared to the GTR, or actually even the GTS. The GT3 has a 100hp less than a GTR and way less torque.
The facts are that every review of the GT R on a road course has mentioned how incredibly stable the car is. There hasn't been one remark about the car being prone to snap oversteer; just mild understeer. This when driven by mere mortals such as ourselves.

I would absolutely say that a rank amateur who has had no experience driving a true sports car on a road circuit would easily cause themselves to **** their pants much more in a GT3 versus a GT R, primarily because they do not understand the dynamics of having approximately 60% of the weight of the car over the *** end.

Time will tell but ultimately this is what will happen: most new owners of a 991.2 GT3 or GT R will be taking them to Cars and Coffee events and so hopefully won't be able to scare the crap out of themselves or others. And yes I know that a larger % of GT3 owners track their car versus other marques but it's still a minority. The same will occur for the GT R.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Yes, I was, many are built and have been to the Ring for lap times and driving around the streets in Europe, AMG BS isn't built yet, not even any specifics about the car. Big difference.
Since you think that an amateur would do better in a AMG GT car over a Porsche GT3, why don't you and I meet at a road course, I'll let you drive my car around the track and if you actually try and not let up, you will turn a better time in my car than yours. No bet, just a couple guys ripping around the track.
Not a bad idea.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by thebishman
The facts are that every review of the GT R on a road course has mentioned how incredibly stable the car is. There hasn't been one remark about the car being prone to snap oversteer; just mild understeer. This when driven by mere mortals such as ourselves.

I would absolutely say that a rank amateur who has had no experience driving a true sports car on a road circuit would easily cause themselves to **** their pants much more in a GT3 versus a GT R, primarily because they do not understand the dynamics of having approximately 60% of the weight of the car over the *** end.

Time will tell but ultimately this is what will happen: most new owners of a 991.2 GT3 or GT R will be taking them to Cars and Coffee events and so hopefully won't be able to scare the crap out of themselves or others. And yes I know that a larger % of GT3 owners track their car versus other marques but it's still a minority. The same will occur for the GT R.

LMAO, I agree with that last paragraph. It is actually a shame that most of these cars will never see the track, so actually us arguing over times and which is faster is such a mute point.
thebishman (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:37 AM

Not a bad idea.

It sounded good, but after I wrote that I was like sh*t, I can't. My dealer is buying my .1 GT3 later today when I have time to drop it off. While there I'm finalizing all my paperwork for my new .2 GT3 that will be built in October and delivery in January.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
It sounded good, but after I wrote that I was like sh*t, I can't. My dealer is buying my .1 GT3 later today when I have time to drop it off. While there I'm finalizing all my paperwork for my new .2 GT3 that will be built in October and delivery in January.
You are lucky to have found an allocation; hopefully at MSRP. Show us your build when you have time.
Bish

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How is the new Porsche GT3 comparing to the AMG GT R on the track?