Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is the new Porsche GT3 comparing to the AMG GT R on the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 02:09 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by thebishman
You are lucky to have found an allocation; hopefully at MSRP. Show us your build when you have time.
Bish
Yes, MSRP. Line 15 is the only unknown for CXX yellow stitching. Did very well with my .1 resale, going to be hard for 5 months until the new car comes in. Picture of what it should look like.
Attached Thumbnails How is the new Porsche GT3 comparing to the AMG GT R on the track?-gt3.2.png   How is the new Porsche GT3 comparing to the AMG GT R on the track?-gt3.2-2.png   How is the new Porsche GT3 comparing to the AMG GT R on the track?-gt3.2-3.png  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Yes, MSRP. Line 15 is the only unknown for CXX yellow stitching. Did very well with my .1 resale, going to be hard for 5 months until the new car comes in. Picture of what it should look like.
Will look great in the Carrera White, and a very nice build. Mine, if I had been able to get an allocation without the typical Porsche GT purchasing BS, would have been very similar.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
RobbieRob (08-12-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Edition-507
Latest run time on a 991.1 GT3RS stock car.

LINK:

Drive safe,
amgfan1[/URL]
Old 08-25-2017, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
It's pretty sad that some Porsche hardcore fans will never admit that another car can be as good as their beloved GT3, RS or special edition TTS. A bit sad.
Not sure why resale value comes into play when you are comparing performance stats other than striking the ego of the P guys. It's been proven that the GT is no worse than your average Toyota Camry. It's just more $$ but the %s are the same.
Most people will have a certain budget for a toy and that's why you compare a GT to a 911S and a GT-R to a TT or GT3RS.
Most people will buy the P car because of the status symbol it represents whereas the GT appeals to someone who wants something different and a bit more special.
I certainly am happy that the GT is a rare sight and not sold in tens of thousands like the Porsche.
Different strokes for different folks. It's all good peeps.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by emericr
It's pretty sad that some Porsche hardcore fans will never admit that another car can be as good as their beloved GT3, RS or special edition TTS. A bit sad.
Not sure why resale value comes into play when you are comparing performance stats other than striking the ego of the P guys. It's been proven that the GT is no worse than your average Toyota Camry. It's just more $$ but the %s are the same.
Most people will have a certain budget for a toy and that's why you compare a GT to a 911S and a GT-R to a TT or GT3RS.
Most people will buy the P car because of the status symbol it represents whereas the GT appeals to someone who wants something different and a bit more special.
I certainly am happy that the GT is a rare sight and not sold in tens of thousands like the Porsche.

As always you make some very good points. One that may have been overlooked is the HUGE 1st year depreciation that the over $200k "P" cars take. In my research a 911 Turbo S can drop between $35 and $60k the first year. Then it levels off to the normal depreciation numbers you posted.

I was also surprised at the number of the low mileage high $ "P" cars on the market. As a honest question do the owners actually drive these cars or are they garage queens?

I saw a couple of new ones that were real nice and heavily optioned but I would have to do a lot more research to determine if I really wanted one in my garage.

(In case you haven't read yet it looks like the end of September for the GTR, GTC and E63S release)

Best Regards

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 08-27-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by amgfan1
Latest run time on a 991.1 GT3RS stock car.

LINK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S229NjIgQI

Drive safe,
amgfan1[/URL]
Except the car wasn't stock at all.

This is a modified GT3RS by Manthey racing, the same mentioned before running a record on the small Hockenheim track.
Here is the info (again in German) on them...
http://www.manthey-racing.de/nextsho...329&newsid=531
Old 08-25-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by JSwan724
As always you make some very good points. One that may have been overlooked is the HUGE 1st year depreciation that the over $200k "P" cars take. In my research a 911 Turbo S can drop between $35 and $60k the first year. Then it levels off to rhe normal depreciation numbers you posted.

I was also surprised at the number of the low mileage high $ "P" cars on the market. As a honest question do the owners actually drive these cars or are they garage queens?

I saw a couple of new ones that were real nice and heavily optioned but I would have to do a lot more research to determine if I really wanted one in my garage.

(In case you haven't read yet it looks like the end of September for the GTR, GTC and E63S release)

Best Regards

Jerry

Only the non GT Porsche cars take a big(huge in my mind) hit, GT cars hold value or sell over MSRP years later. The Porsche Turbo and Turbo S depreciate bigtime, they should have an AMG badge on them since MB is giving those badges away and putting them on everything...lol
Old 08-25-2017, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Only the non GT Porsche cars take a big(huge in my mind) hit, GT cars hold value or sell over MSRP years later. The Porsche Turbo and Turbo S depreciate bigtime, they should have an AMG badge on them since MB is giving those badges away and putting them on everything...lol
I learn alot from you. THANKS!!

I'll start looking for the 2018 GT 3's I wonder if the used market will change in a few years and something else will be hot.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
AMG GTS, Bentley GT,SL600, Range Rover V8 5.0 Supercharged, Aston Martin Rapide S, S600
Agreed! I took my AMG badge off, what's the point anymore even GLs have that darn thing on them. It has zero street cred anymore.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:54 AM

C63 Edition-507
I agree with you as you have owned and driven BOTH products by AMG and PORSCHE. BOTH brands have its own features and strong aspects. You own and have experienced BOTH brands and you can clearly state how GREAT PORSCHE GT cars are.

Yep the AMG badge is like a promotional giveaway. What used to be an icon in automotive industries now just a plain same old same old car.

Drive safe,
amgfan1 (PORSCHE Lover)

Originally Posted by sl600fanatic
Agreed! I took my AMG badge off, what's the point anymore even GLs have that darn thing on them. It has zero street cred anymore.

Last edited by amgfan1; 08-26-2017 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Typo correction.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Fanboys comparing a setup race car with a stock AMG, ant it's still only 2 seconds quicker around the ring.

How is the new Porsche GT3 comparing to the AMG GT R on the track?-img_1296.png

These are sport autos STOCK times.

Wait a second is that a 918 in second. Huh??
emericr (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 09:47 AM

C63 Edition-507
I still have my Edition-507 and potentially the last to own if AMG does not improve on its quality which affects the "RESALE" value which feels like a "SHIP ANCHOR" compared to the GT cars of PORSCHE. This is apples to apples comparing the AMG GT cars to the PORCHE 911 GT cars (GT2, GT3, GT4, GT2RS, GT3RS). However when the contention is how many 911 models are out there, just count how many varying AMG's are out there. There's the AMG GT, AMG GT-S, AMG GT Edition-1 (the most dreadful of the GT series), AMG GT-C, AMG GT-R, soon the AMG GT Black Series, and this is just the GT series not to count the C-Class, E-Class, G-Class, and the very popular *43 AMG class. So if you finished math classes in high school, the number of varying AMG models alone seem infinitely numerous as the stars in the sky.

Originally Posted by emericr
I used to be a big fan boy of AMG until the day they started to out the brand by slapping every possible model out there with the AMG badge. This contributed highly with the SHIP ANCHOR like depreciation along with the recent rash of bad quality, and the cream of the crop an outstanding FIVE-MONTH delay on US releases which guarantees the GT-R to be DEFECTIVE once again!

My 911R still commands twice the MSRP I paid for. My incoming GT2RS will be yet another example. This new GT2RS will break Nurburgring records kids. Here read this article to see the resale value of not yet released but soon BAD BOY TOYZ 4 DA BIG BOYZ.

Your five-month old GT-R at the VPC is already a "GARAGE QUEEN" made for you by Mercedes Benz themselves. ROTFLMAO You better check that car thoroughly as it has signs of yet another defective car like your AMG GT Edition-1. DEJA VU!

If you want one of those limited GT cars by PORSCHE, sorry you're too late to the party plus you'll bleed through the nose if you want one, as they are very DESIRABLE.

LINK:
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/n...al-gx256a.html .

As always you make some very good points. One that may have been overlooked is the HUGE 1st year depreciation that the over $200k "P" cars take. In my research a 911 Turbo S can drop between $35 and $60k the first year. Then it levels off to rhe normal depreciation numbers you posted.

Best Regards

Jerry
Are you saying it is modified because you read the words "Manthey Racing"? Can you translate that to English speaking readers here so we know what the modifications are if any?

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Except the car wasn't stock at all.

This is a modified GT3RS by Manthey racing, the same mentioned before running a record on the small Hockenheim track.
Here is the info (again in German) on them...
http://www.manthey-racing.de/nextsho...329&newsid=531

Drive safe,
amgfan1 (PORSCHE Lover)
Old 08-26-2017, 10:00 AM

C63 Edition-507
Yo ROMEOE55,

Howdy doody. Yeah 918 is now dated. It is two years old and a few cars have surpassed its record.

Back in 1987 the F40 was about US$400K base price and performance at that time, 0 to 60 around 3.7 seconds with a top speed of about 202 MPH. Those F40 in pristine condition runs about US$1.6M in the secondary market lately. Comparable to the older F40 would be the recent 2015 458 "Speciale." It will do 0 to 60 in about 3.0 seconds with a base price of about US$300K with about the same top speed of 202 MPH. On average good condition they sell in the secondary market for about US$450K.

So there you can see the Speciale is quicker than the F40, yet the F40 still commands a higher resale value. The same context can be applied on the PORSCHE brand. Just like the AMG GT-R supposedly is faster than the SLS GT. One thing we do know, records are meant to be broken. Newer cars will get better due to advances in engineering and technology. You should know that by now regardless of car brand. Needless to say, these cars are special in their own respective ways. Try owning one of the more recent GT cars by PORSCHE. You'll be impressed I assure you.

By the way, I will soon be spec'ing my GT2RS and that will kick some serious A$$ around Nurburgring.

LINK:
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/n...al-gx256a.html

I am still waiting when AMG brand have a respectable resale value. They still depreciate like a "SHIP ANCHOR."

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Fanboys comparing a setup race car with a stock AMG, ant it's still only 2 seconds quicker around the ring.

Attachment 411864

These are sport autos STOCK times.

Wait a second is that a 918 in second. Huh??
Drive safe,
amgfan1 (PORSCHE Lover)
Old 08-26-2017, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
And this commentary from sport auto very interesting

"Overall, the GT3 looks a bit too sharp for the Nordschleife. On the small course of Hockenheim the set-up fits better. Whoever wants to be on the limit with boundless confidence and extremely easy to handle driveability (except for the top of the Swede's cross), takes the 911 Carrera GTS with sports tires or changes completely the brand. At the moment, no Porsche is approaching the driving stability of the Mercedes-AMG GT R in the border area. "
Old 08-26-2017, 10:08 AM

C63 Edition-507
One last thing, the main reason why AMG does not publish and or reveal official and worldwide production numbers is because they produce and make them like "Flap Jacks", which contributes to the SHIP ANCHOR like depreciation. They make too many.

Drive safe,
amgfan1
Old 08-26-2017, 11:15 AM

I learn alot from you. THANKS!!

I'll start looking for the 2018 GT 3's I wonder if the used market will change in a few years and something else will be hot.

I'm sure there will be some movement in the future on the .1 GT3's, but with the additional 10 year warranties Porsche is giving to the 14 to 16's, because of the engine issues, I think that will help keep the prices higher than expected. Funny thing is, my new 18 .2 GT3(when it arrives in January) engine warranty will run out 4 years before my 16??? Crazy. Also,on used pricing, I just sold my 16 back to my dealer, it is on the floor with a $153,900 asking price on her with 8300 miles.
J, It looks like by the end of September you will have the GTR, I'm sure you are itching like crazy to get it, but it will be worth the wait. I have to admit, the GTR is a stunning car with the performance to back it up.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by sl600fanatic

Yes, its crazy. I have a E43 and I must admit for a daily it is a great car, but it is no AMG of any sort. They should just call the 43 and 45 models by that number only without any AMG badging, but MB knows marketing better than us I guess. BTW, your car looks really good with the spacers on it, made the stance that much cooler looking.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, its crazy. I have a E43 and I must admit for a daily it is a great car, but it is no AMG of any sort. They should just call the 43 and 45 models by that number only without any AMG badging, but MB knows marketing better than us I guess. BTW, your car looks really good with the spacers on it, made the stance that much cooler looking.
It's infuriating to many but MB simply took a page of BMW's playbook and their M-packaging; these cars have higher margins and make lots of money.

Sales and margins matter to a manufacturer, not depreciation.

Certain Porsche models have fantastic long-term values but as a whole, these make up a tiny percentage of what Porsche produces.

You can fault AMG for cashing in on their brand, but then the same can said for Cayennes, Macans etc. for milking the P name.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Are you saying it is modified because you read the words "Manthey Racing"? Can you translate that to English speaking readers here so we know what the modifications are if any?

Drive safe,
amgfan1 (PORSCHE Lover)
[/QUOTE]

I pointed to Mantheys website and Google translate can be your friend

Either case, it is not stock. That said, it doesn't diminish the awesome lap time of a great P-car...

I am not sure why there is so much negativity. Credit where credit is due.

The AMG GT-R has absolute street cred in Germany and so do the Porsche GT models. I have a couple of friends that drive/track their Porsches in Germany faster than most of us ever will and they definitely respect what the these AMG's can do.

I credit AMG for standing up a car that competes with some of the best that Porsche has to offer at eye height. And Porsche didn't get there from the get-go either; the current product line-up is the result of refining their cars over decades.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman

Certain Porsche models have fantastic long-term values but as a whole, these make up a tiny percentage of what Porsche produces.

You can fault AMG for cashing in on their brand, but then the same can said for Cayennes, Macans etc. for milking the P name.
Yes and no, Porsche is not putting a special badge on lower models to make owners assume that they are driving a more special/rare vehicle than a base model like MB does with the AMG badging on C's, CLA's, E's, GLA's, etc.
In reality the Black Series MB vehicles are typically the only models that hold or increase in value in their lineup, similar to Porsche GT cars. Of the late, I actually could care less about value, I just enjoy driving and beating the snot out of my cars, since I'm not a millionaire collector, if a car I own holds value, cool, if not I'm ok with it.
Had to add this, for the record, I would never own any other Porsche than a 911, all other models do nothing for me.

On the Manthey GT3RS, it has magnesium wheels, more aero from the rear wing and track alignment but stock tires and engine. So actually no, it isn't stock off the showroom floor but still pretty fast.
Those dudes driving these various cars at the Ring and setting records/fastest laps are friggin nuts, very impressive, but definitely nuts.. 99.5% of us will never know, no matter what car we are in, what that feels like driving that fast.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 08-26-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Yes and no, Porsche is not putting a special badge on lower models to make owners assume that they are driving a more special/rare vehicle than a base model like MB does with the AMG badging on C's, CLA's, E's, GLA's, etc.
In reality the Black Series MB vehicles are typically the only models that hold or increase in value in their lineup, similar to Porsche GT cars. Of the late, I actually could care less about value, I just enjoy driving and beating the snot out of my cars, since I'm not a millionaire collector, if a car I own holds value, cool, if not I'm ok with it.
Had to add this, for the record, I would never own any other Porsche than a 911, all other models do nothing for me.

On the Manthey GT3RS, it has magnesium wheels, more aero from the rear wing and track alignment but stock tires and engine. So actually no, it isn't stock off the showroom floor but still pretty fast.
Those dudes driving these various cars at the Ring and setting records/fastest laps are friggin nuts, very impressive, but definitely nuts.. 99.5% of us will never know, no matter what car we are in, what that feels like driving that fast.

Agreed!!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Question for amg fan:

i have no purchase history from Porsche since 2011,garden variety 911. If I wanted a gt3 or gt2, how would that process go for me?

Originally Posted by amgfan1
I still have my Edition-507 and potentially the last to own if AMG does not improve on its quality which affects the "RESALE" value which feels like a "SHIP ANCHOR" compared to the GT cars of PORSCHE. This is apples to apples comparing the AMG GT cars to the PORCHE 911 GT cars (GT2, GT3, GT4, GT2RS, GT3RS). However when the contention is how many 911 models are out there, just count how many varying AMG's are out there. There's the AMG GT, AMG GT-S, AMG GT Edition-1 (the most dreadful of the GT series), AMG GT-C, AMG GT-R, soon the AMG GT Black Series, and this is just the GT series not to count the C-Class, E-Class, G-Class, and the very popular *43 AMG class. So if you finished math classes in high school, the number of varying AMG models alone seem infinitely numerous as the stars in the sky.

I used to be a big fan boy of AMG until the day they started to out the brand by slapping every possible model out there with the AMG badge. This contributed highly with the SHIP ANCHOR like depreciation along with the recent rash of bad quality, and the cream of the crop an outstanding FIVE-MONTH delay on US releases which guarantees the GT-R to be DEFECTIVE once again!

My 911R still commands twice the MSRP I paid for. My incoming GT2RS will be yet another example. This new GT2RS will break Nurburgring records kids. Here read this article to see the resale value of not yet released but soon BAD BOY TOYZ 4 DA BIG BOYZ.

Your five-month old GT-R at the VPC is already a "GARAGE QUEEN" made for you by Mercedes Benz themselves. ROTFLMAO You better check that car thoroughly as it has signs of yet another defective car like your AMG GT Edition-1. DEJA VU!

If you want one of those limited GT cars by PORSCHE, sorry you're too late to the party plus you'll bleed through the nose if you want one, as they are very DESIRABLE.

LINK:
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/n...al-gx256a.html .

Drive safe,
amgfan1 (PORSCHE Lover)

Last edited by guynamedsean; 08-26-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Good luck getting a new GT3 at MSRP without recent multi-car Porsche ownership. The waitlists are lengthy and many 2018 allocations have already been released. Your only option short of waiting until the end of production is paying Adjusted Dealer Markup.

You have close to zero chance of getting a GT2RS. Those are going to 911R owners first and will be a low production model.

I traded my 3 year old GT3 for 92% of original MSRP for my 18 GTS plus another $6300 in sales tax credit.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:19 PM

C63 Edition-507
Sean, gonna be tough to break that first PORSCHE GT car purchase, if this will be your first GT3 car. However, I know many people who have enlisted with a variety of PORSCHE dealers in and out of their state. It appears there are numerous Midwest dealers and some Rocky Mountain (Colorado) able to do MSRP, and give an allotment for first time buyers. I just want to be upfront to you that due to its recent years of desirability, acquiring a PORSCHE GT car can be challenging. But if you are patient enough, you will get one, and hopefully at MSRP.

May I suggest you start with GT3 and not get frustrated getting a GT2RS. The current 991.2 GT3 first and second wave allocation through 2018 are pretty much spoken for. There will be a third wave around 3Q18 or 4Q18 allocation and I suggest you better start enlisting your name with dealers of your choosing and willing to take you in.

Most dealers will take a new buyer but there will probably be a side agreement that the dealer with whom you are buying it from will put a note that they have first right of refusal to buy back your GT3 car in the event you want to unload. Most dealers nowadays do this to prevent buyers "Flipping" the car for profit instead of actually using it. Plus it puts confidence on both parties that there will be subsequent purchases in subsequent years. It works both ways.

The GT2RS will be a tough cookie to acquire. Around here in the Midwest dealers are already asking US$300K over MSRP as this will be the fastest 911 PORSCHE made. In fact it will even beat the million dollar 918 Spyder, who in turn also beat the LaFerrari and Maclaren P1 in a video conducted by Top Gear about 15 months ago through Amazon. To get the GT2RS you'll either be in the 918 VIP Program or a regular PORSCHE GT buyer and owner.

I do know if you want to cut through the line, dealers are holding up some allocation for those wiling to pay ADM (Adjusted Dealer Markup) anywhere from US$10K to as high as US$30K for the GT3. Let me know if you are able to secure the 991.2 GT3 and good luck. If you are lucky to get an allocation, you can configure it with PDK or stick shift plus it has Naturally Aspirated 500 BHP engine.

Dive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by guynamedsean
Question for amg fan:

i have no purchase history from Porsche since 2011,garden variety 911. If I wanted a gt3 or gt2, how would that process go for me?

Last edited by amgfan1; 08-26-2017 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Typo correction.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by surfah
Good luck getting a new GT3 at MSRP without recent multi-car Porsche ownership. The waitlists are lengthy and many 2018 allocations have already been released. Your only option short of waiting until the end of production is paying Adjusted Dealer Markup.

You have close to zero chance of getting a GT2RS. Those are going to 911R owners first and will be a low production model.

I traded my 3 year old GT3 for 92% of original MSRP for my 18 GTS plus another $6300 in sales tax credit.
You did really great on that deal.
surfah (08-27-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How is the new Porsche GT3 comparing to the AMG GT R on the track?