Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Ceramic Brake really necessary for GT R order?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
So the key with CCMs is to replace the pads before it's too late?

Do the CCMs make noise during normal daily driving?
In my experience, replacing the pads when they have 1/4-1/3 of the pad thickness left has meant I've never harmed a CCM rotor; yet! lol

If you track the car hard this is really important IMHO, as the major costs associated with the CCM braking system is of course having to replace a rotor. It will be interesting to find out if the GT R's CCM rotors are the same Brembo CCM disc that is found on certain GM products like the C7 Z06/7. If so replacement costs will be far cheaper.

CCM brakes can make 'noise' on the street, but modern systems much less that ones from 5-10 years ago. Also, high performance iron brakes can also make even more noise when equipped with 'track' compatible pads. I have always been able to eliminate the noise from the CCMs on my Z06/7 by doing some rapid stops, although base line noise has been minimal to begin with.

Bish
Old 09-12-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
I drove a GTR on steels on track today, they're not upto the job in my opinion. CCM is essential for anyone tracking this car hard.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
I would agree. If you're going to drive this car to coffee and caffeine shows no, but if you buy this car you have to track it once or twice a year and quite frankly not having to replace the brakes in your lifetime or probably the next person in line is worth it.

What brake dust?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
I would agree. If you're going to drive this car to coffee and caffeine shows no, but if you buy this car you have to track it once or twice a year and quite frankly not having to replace the brakes in your lifetime or probably the next person in line is worth it.

What brake dust?
ha. You're joking right? My car makes crazy brake dust!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
ha. You're joking right? My car makes crazy brake dust!
No I think I probably would've gotten ceramics if I had to do it again I mean my wheels get destroyed every three days so I'm hoping for some Pads that fix it. I have spent 100 hours cleaning my wheels and I'm over it.

Anyway I'm happy with the black powder wheels coat for now......
Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
No I think I probably would've gotten ceramics if I had to do it again I mean my wheels get destroyed every three days so I'm hoping for some Pads that fix it. I have spent 100 hours cleaning my wheels and I'm over it.

when my car got coated with C Quartz Finest, he did the wheels. Helps a lot!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60

Not sure if you're 'tracking' the car, but if not Carbotech and other vendors make some 'ceramic' pads for the car I bet that greatly diminishes the amount of pad dust on the wheels. They just aren't a high performance pad.

Bish
Old 09-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
I'm still on the fence.

Do the Mercedes carbon ceramic brakes have that squish that others do when cold? This is going to be a road car. I'll track it maybe twice in my life. Not dealing with brake dust sounds like a huge plus. So does not having to worry about corrosion on the rotor. But if the brake feel is weird/squishy under normal daily driving...
Old 09-13-2017, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I'm still on the fence.

Do the Mercedes carbon ceramic brakes have that squish that others do when cold? This is going to be a road car. I'll track it maybe twice in my life. Not dealing with brake dust sounds like a huge plus. So does not having to worry about corrosion on the rotor. But if the brake feel is weird/squishy under normal daily driving...
In my experience, modern CCMs are perfectly liveable on the street. I for sure would get them on a car primarily for street use only.

Bish
Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.

What brake dust?
I think I'll be replacing discs and pads on my ceramics.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
19 AMG GT R, 20 Porsche Cayenne
I was "advised" that AMG steel brake can only last up to 30000km street use. I am not sure how realistic that is and the whole brake Pads/Rotors have to be replaced at the same time which can cost nearly 5 figure. Also, says for CCB, the only thing needs to be replaced is the pads.

I have/had owned several performance cars now and in the past, maybe nothing as extreme as the GT R, but all of them has/had steel brakes and not for once I needed to replace the brake during my ownerships. A few of them had gone as far as 70000km without needing to replace brakes.

It's definitely a nice upgrade, but is it worth paying nearly $16000 after tax? (Canadian dollar here)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by py0413
I was "advised" that AMG steel brake can only last up to 30000km street use. I am not sure how realistic that is and the whole brake Pads/Rotors have to be replaced at the same time which can cost nearly 5 figure. Also, says for CCB, the only thing needs to be replaced is the pads.

I have/had owned several performance cars now and in the past, maybe nothing as extreme as the GT R, but all of them has/had steel brakes and not for once I needed to replace the brake during my ownerships. A few of them had gone as far as 70000km without needing to replace brakes.

It's definitely a nice upgrade, but is it worth paying nearly $16000 after tax? (Canadian dollar here)
This sounds like typical salesman bull****. If you are just driving the car on the street the iron rotors should last many, many years. The CCM rotor should last the lifetime of the car when only street driven. Pads since they are high performance might only last about 20,000 miles on the iron brakes, and perhaps the same on the CCMs.

Bottom line: change the pads when they're getting pretty worn and your rotors when street driven only will last fine.

Road course usage: different 'ballgame'.

Bish
Old 09-14-2017, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by thebishman
This sounds like typical salesman bull****. If you are just driving the car on the street the iron rotors should last many, many years. The CCM rotor should last the lifetime of the car when only street driven. Pads since they are high performance might only last about 20,000 miles on the iron brakes, and perhaps the same on the CCMs.

Bottom line: change the pads when they're getting pretty worn and your rotors when street driven only will last fine.

Road course usage: different 'ballgame'.

Bish
At delivery, I paid $1500 for a 5 year one time pad and rotor replacement on all 4 wheels, transferable. Would have never considered it, but my CL rotors were 1600$ each on front and pads.

The one year extension to factory warranty was also included.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
At delivery, I paid $1500 for a 5 year one time pad and rotor replacement on all 4 wheels, transferable. Would have never considered it, but my CL rotors were 1600$ each on front and pads.

The one year extension to factory warranty was also included.
That is one hell of a bargain! Just need to make sure that the fine print doesn't list exclusions as long as your arm! lol

Bish
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
I'm still on the fence.

I had CCBs on my California, 458 Spider and Huracan. The brake feel is very good and stops on a dime and the absence of brake dust especially with silver rims is a huge plus if you clean the car yourself.

The brake squeaks are annoying and even with proper bedding can recur, for example after washing the car.

All 3 of the vehicles had CCBs as standard. For street driving exclusively, I would not pay the premium for CCBs and would use the money for the upgraded Burmester and Carbon Fiber trim. YMMV.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by thebishman
That is one hell of a bargain! Just need to make sure that the fine print doesn't list exclusions as long as your arm! lol

Bish
I read it very carefully . All the exclusions were very commonsensical excluding of course any track use or racing but you should look into that when you take delivery at that dealer and the extra year of warranty on the car is a real bonus

I also paid 2000 for any wheel and or tire damage for five years, as I broke two wheels on my CL in Atlanta. Also transferable.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:27 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by surfah
I had CCBs on my California, 458 Spider and Huracan. The brake feel is very good and stops on a dime and the absence of brake dust especially with silver rims is a huge plus if you clean the car yourself.

The brake squeaks are annoying and even with proper bedding can recur, for example after washing the car.

All 3 of the vehicles had CCBs as standard. For street driving exclusively, I would not pay the premium for CCBs and would use the money for the upgraded Burmester and Carbon Fiber trim. YMMV.
What about rotors rusting? I live in San Francisco. Right on the water. It can get humid here so I want to keep my wheels from looking like this:

Old 09-14-2017, 03:31 PM

What about rotors rusting? I live in San Francisco. Right on the water. It can get humid here so I want to keep my wheels from looking like this:

How old are those rotors?

I live 2 blocks from the ocean and have never had an issue with rotors looking like that, even steel ones on vehicles 5 to 9 years old. The ones on my 5 year old 911 had no rust and that was after 20000 miles of daily driving.

I've never had to replace calipers or rotors but it would still be a lot cheaper to get a new set or two of steels than pay for CCBs up front I believe.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:35 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by surfah
How old are those rotors?

I live 2 blocks from the ocean and have never had an issue with rotors looking like that, even steel ones on vehicles 5 to 9 years old. The ones on my 5 year old 911 had no rust and that was after 20000 miles of daily driving.

I've never had to replace calipers or rotors but it would still be a lot cheaper to get a new set or two of steels than pay for CCBs up front I believe.
Good point on the cost for replacement I guess.

No idea how old that car is. Just a photo I found on Instagram. My previous car's rotors (Lexus) rusted. But I had that one in CT, NY, and MI where there were winters and salt.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:38 PM

Good point on the cost for replacement I guess.

No idea how old that car is. Just a photo I found on Instagram. My previous car's rotors (Lexus) rusted. But I had that one in CT, NY, and MI where there were winters and salt.
For sure, I did my residency in Michigan and the road salt is brutal. I would specifically take my SUV to car washes that rinsed the underside of the car.