Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTS
Check Engine Light

I've had a 2016 AMG GTS for 1,800 miles total. I got it tuned 500 miles ago from Eurocharged and had no issues. Today a check engine light came on. Car is stock otherwise, only mod I've done is a tune. Any one have check engine lights come on with so few miles on the car?

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 AMG GT S
If it is due to loose fuel cap, it will shut off by itself after a couple days the problem is corrected.
Mine came on only after 1500 km, but car drove normal. I re-screw the fuel cap and the check engine light went off by itself after 2 days. Never came back on since.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:40 PM

AMG GTS
Thanks for the tip. I haven't put gas in recently, so don't know if that's the issue. I did however take off the cap and re tighten it and put back on just to be safe. Hope after 2 days it's gone.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
AMG GTS, Bentley GT,SL600, Range Rover V8 5.0 Supercharged, Aston Martin Rapide S, S600
Very doubtful it has anything to do with the tune but let us know what happens.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:51 PM

AMG GTS
Check Engine Light Code P0301

I took it in today to Auto Zone to get a read of the error code and I got a P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire code. Seems strange for a car with less than 2,000 miles on it but then again it is tuned??. Plan of attack now is to put the tune back to stock and take it on for a service.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS Edition 1, 97 933TT
AMG GTS Check Engine Light

I have same issue on my Edition 1 MB dealer saying engine mis fire but has no fix, did you get issue resolved ?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 PM

AMG GTS
Update

So the code I had was P0301 cylinder 1 misfire. I had filled up with 100 octane gas which is something I forgot about and figured this may have been the issue??. Regardless the light wasn't going away. Since the car was tuned I was nervous. After talking to tuner I cleared the code on my own and was gonna wait to see if it came back. It did not come back as of yet, I also during this time had gotten all the 100 octane out of the car and was back to 91 for at least two tanks now. The tuner said he had done 18 tunes for the gts from the group buy and no one had this issue. I am confident it was not the tune but more so a fluke or the 100 octane. Finally after debating I just took the car to the dealer as I am cool with my service advisor with the tune still on the car. I explained the situation but never mentioned the tune obviously. He said since I cleared the code it was tough to see exactly what the computer snapshot of the issue was. He said they would look into it. They called me and said they found no issue with the engine as they did their test and found the engine to be working normally with no power loss. They never said anything about the tune either. Let me also mention that when driving with the CEL light on the car wasn't shaking or revving rpms on its own. After everything I think it was due to the 100 octane full tank and driving it hard. At this point and time the light had remained gone and no issues hopefully stays that way. The tune has made this car a monster and so much more enjoyable to drive but I won't be using 100 octane anymore that's for sure.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
I'm not sure how you figure that running a premium fuel was some how bad for the engine? Unless you filled with something a little exotic?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:18 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack
I'm not sure how you figure that running a premium fuel was some how bad for the engine? Unless you filled with something a little exotic?
in all honesty I'm not sure what caused it but the only thing I did differently besides the tune was put 100 octane. Since the tuner has never had this issue and no one else reported that issue because we all got the same tune file, I'm assuming after googling different octanes it's possible to get this error from fuel. Still not sure what caused it but that's the only thing I can think of I did differently. Service did their test and said all cylinders are firing normally no loss of power so either it was a fluke with a bad sensor or because I was WOT with higher octane a few times.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Originally Posted by GtothedoubleE
in all honesty I'm not sure what caused it but the only thing I did differently besides the tune was put 100 octane. Since the tuner has never had this issue and no one else reported that issue because we all got the same tune file, I'm assuming after googling different octanes it's possible to get this error from fuel. Still not sure what caused it but that's the only thing I can think of I did differently. Service did their test and said all cylinders are firing normally no loss of power so either it was a fluke with a bad sensor or because I was WOT with higher octane a few times.
I had my last car for about 10 years. In that time, it threw a misfire code maybe two or three times. No real reason was found. Just misfired for whatever reason. No harm done to the engine. Knocking/misfire isn't going to blow the engine up if it happens once or twice at random. But if the engine continues to misfire... then that's an issue.

I've read anecdotes here and about higher octane causing issues. But no real evidence. Pre-ignition is a touchy thing.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 09-18-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS Edition 1, 97 933TT
Misfire

Thanks for response, I had fault codes P030185 & P030685 (Misfire cylinders 1&6). Issue still under investigation, check engine light remaining off, but after driven hard it misfires when idling.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
If this 100 octane fuel came from a station with a very slow rate of turnover on such an expensive gas, it may well have been contaminated.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
Originally Posted by GtothedoubleE
I've run the GTR on track with 102RON several times with no issues.

I'm guessing you're in the states? If the fuel you used is 100AKI (not RON!) then it seems like it will be exotic and potential not correct for use in standard cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating