Sponsored by:

Autocross, track or HPDE with AMG GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M3
Autocross, track or HPDE with AMG GT

Anyone here tracking or doing HPDEs with their AMG GT? How about autocrossing one? I'm curious how well the car does and what prep has been done. I'm considering a used Porsche GT4 and a used AMG GTS is about the same money and looks like it would be a great car. Does anyone have any experiences to share?
Old 09-09-2017, 08:10 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by heckler.
Anyone here tracking or doing HPDEs with their AMG GT? How about autocrossing one? I'm curious how well the car does and what prep has been done. I'm considering a used Porsche GT4 and a used AMG GTS is about the same money and looks like it would be a great car. Does anyone have any experiences to share?
Yes I took my 2016 amg gts to Lyme rock and Watkins glen for METRO PCA HPDE events. I replaced the brake fluid with Castro SRF and got a new set of tires. Car did extremely well and had much more potential than my ability , regardless did well among the porsches including GT3's. More than enough power , great around turns and no brake fad w Castro fluid. Flawless. I only wish AMG / MBCA WOULD do several hpde events a year like PCA. BTW car was well received among our competitive Porsche guys. They all love the car and were very interested in it.
im looking forward to getting after market rims and HOOSER SLICKS for next season after NJMP LIGHTNING EVENT THIS Oct.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 239 Likes on 152 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Yes

I had the pleasure of running my completely stock GT S at an open track day yesterday (9/8/17) at the Pueblo (Colorado) Motorsport Park, a 2.2 mile road course. The main straight is a drag strip and the course includes a great mix of turns and elevation changes.

I know this track, having run something like 1600 laps there over the past 32 years in various cars -- including my E36 BMW M3, a 2002tii, Spec Racers in SCCA events and my previously owned SLK55 AMG. And I have instructed there many times with the Rocky Mountain Chapter of BMW CCA.

I was extremely pleased with the GT S, even running on the stock Michelin Super Sport street tires. I topped out at 136mph at the end of the front straight before heavy braking for the 65mph decreasing radius Turn 1. No hint of brake fade with stock pads. I probably could have topped out above 140mph, but I was being conservative. The Mercedes GT S is ready for track time in stock form. If anything, it would benefit from sticky track tires for track events.

The GT S was significantly quicker than a couple of slightly-upgraded M3s, but I was slower in the turns than the BMW M4 GTS equipped with Hoosier race slicks. I believe my GT S could pull away from the BMW GTS on the straights. The BMW M4 GTS is a purpose-built race car that is barely steetable and comparably priced to the Mercedes GT S. Check the video at
. A race-prepared BMW M3 was significantly faster than both.

But when attending an event like this, one has to expect that there will always be someone faster and with more money to spend on their vehicle. (The best money spent is that used to improve the driver, not the vehicle, by attending as many driving events with instruction as possible. As a BMW owner, as you may know -- check with the local BMW CCA Chapter in your area for their 1st class driving events which welcome all makes of vehicles, but not convertibles.)
Old 09-09-2017, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by slk55er
I had the pleasure of running my completely stock GT S at an open track day yesterday (9/8/17) at the Pueblo (Colorado) Motorsport Park, a 2.2 mile road course. The main straight is a drag strip and the course includes a great mix of turns and elevation changes.

I know this track, having run something like 1600 laps there over the past 32 years in various cars -- including my E36 BMW M3, a 2002tii, Spec Racers in SCCA events and my previously owned SLK55 AMG. And I have instructed there many times with the Rocky Mountain Chapter of BMW CCA.

I was extremely pleased with the GT S, even running on the stock Michelin Super Sport street tires. I topped out at 136mph at the end of the front straight before heavy braking for the 65mph decreasing radius Turn 1. No hint of brake fade with stock pads. I probably could have topped out above 140mph, but I was being conservative. The Mercedes GT S is ready for track time in stock form. If anything, it would benefit from sticky track tires for track events.

The GT S was significantly quicker than a couple of slightly-upgraded M3s, but I was slower in the turns than the BMW M4 GTS equipped with Hoosier race slicks. I believe my GT S could pull away from the BMW GTS on the straights. The BMW M4 GTS is a purpose-built race car that is barely steetable and comparably priced to the Mercedes GT S. Check the video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8zyDVLueS4. A race-prepared BMW M3 was significantly faster than both.

But when attending an event like this, one has to expect that there will always be someone faster and with more money to spend on their vehicle. (The best money spent is that used to improve the driver, not the vehicle, by attending as many driving events with instruction as possible. As a BMW owner, as you may know -- check with the local BMW CCA Chapter in your area for their 1st class driving events which welcome all makes of vehicles, but not convertibles.)
Well done. And well said. As a former SCCA national racer is S2000, truer words were never spoken about where to spend money. I also think that non-stock sticky tires would make up a fair amount of time. Remember that our stock Michelins are treadwear 300 - not at all a sticky tire. Some years ago I had a BMW 335i that came stock with treadwear 140 tires. Yeah they went to the wear bars early (5000 miles) but were sticky as heck. What we get as a compromise is a tire that will last much longer but is not too sticky.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
I’ve tracked mine

Originally Posted by heckler.
I have tracked my car and while it is impressive bone stock, some slight mods make it a total monster. Driver experience aside, using a proper racing brake fluid like Endless, or SRF helps a great deal with fade and recovery. But the single best thing I did and saw immediate results with was changing my tires to the Pilot Sport Cup 2’s. Wow. Huge difference. As an aside I regularly tracked with my Buddy and his M4 GTS and that car is a beast in its own right...
Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Engine cuts out at 4000 rpm

While some aggressive practicing I noticed a problem my vehicle I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. :
I have noticed that under full acceleration from a standing start that the engine appears to be electronically cut off at 4000 RPMs with a bucking like sensation in sport plus in race mode only. If I were to aggressively with storage without mailing it no problems. I was wondering if anyone has the same problem.
if you have not experienced it and try it please let me know if this is something that happens with these cars or does my car like we have a problem
thank you