GTR AND GTC PROBLEMS AND ISSUES-OWNER POSTS ONLY PLEASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
GTR & GTC ISSUES-OWNER POSTS ONLY PLEASE

I started a similiar thread for the GTS when it first launched and it proved to be very helpful for new owners.

I was hoping we were past the litney of new vehicle launch issues and sub par quality control. Apparantly not!!

Here’s the first issue for us to be aware of and ensure that our cars aren’t affected;

This issue affects 2 GTR’s so far that were just released from the BRUNSWICK, GA VPC. One of them is mine which was received at the dealer today.

As you will note, MB was/is well aware of the issue and released the cars anyway without fixing either of them.

This write up was provided by KenshinX

I had to leave the GTR in the dealer as needs a part that was supposed to be installed in the VPC.
I knew something was going on as I tried to check the active aerodynamics button located at the top of the rearview mire right next to the seat warm button.
To tell you the truth, when I took delivery of the car 2 days ago, checked almost every button available but that one I did not press.
Well, yesterday I read the entire operators' manual and it says that the active aero drops a carbon fiber underbody spoiler just in front of the engine when you hit speeds over 75 mph in C,S,S+ mode and over 50 mph while in race mode. the manual says that the top button will blink letting you know that the spoiler is being dropped and will stay solid red when is all the way down. well I drove the car this weekend in comfort and sport mode and did speeds of 75-80 mph and the button never flashed. then when I got back home the manual says I can manually extend the spoiler by leaving the car key in position #2 and pressing and holding the same button for 1 second. guess what? I did it and did not work.
So today I called my SA and they told me, first, to take the car back today and second, that today the main south east amg rep was at the dealership and he was going to go over the car with me. So I went today and indeed, the Rep told me that he was surprised that I actually took delivery of the car as this issue about the underbody spoiler is well known and they were waiting for all this part to drive at the VPC and install them there prior the release of the car. So I got really pissed off at this ****... so now the active aerodynamics is purpossly disabled in my GTR until this part comes. I spoke with the mag certified mechanic who did the PDI on my car and he said he already had a ticket with the part order and this is supposed to come in few days. I told the AMG rep that I knew more people that belong in the forum had taken delivery of some GTRs in LA and north east and I asked them if their cars too had the active aero disabled?. He told me that most likely those are the first cars that got the part installed at the VPC because he knew of an internal email that only the GTRs that had this part installed at the vlc were only to be released. So I have no ****ing clue why they released my car without this part. So maybe your car has not been released because of this part or maybe not.... at this point, I don't believe **** of what these people are saying.

Last edited by JSwan724; 10-22-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Originally Posted by JSwan724
I started a similiar thread for the GTS when it first launched and it proved to be very helpful for new owners.

I was hoping we were past the litney of new vehicle launch issues and sub par quality control. Apparantly not!!

Here’s the first issue for us to be aware of and ensure that our cars aren’t affected;

This issue affects 2 GTR’s so far that were just released from the BRUNSWICK, GA VPC. One of them is mine which was received at the dealer today.

As you will note, MB was/is well aware of the issue and released the cars anyway without fixing either of them.

I had to leave the GTR in the dealer as needs a part that was supposed to be installed in the VPC.
I knew something was going on as I tried to check the active aerodynamics button located at the top of the rearview mire right next to the seat warm button.
To tell you the truth, when I took delivery of the car 2 days ago, checked almost every button available but that one I did not press.
Well, yesterday I read the entire operators' manual and it says that the active aero drops a carbon fiber underbody spoiler just in front of the engine when you hit speeds over 75 mph in C,S,S+ mode and over 50 mph while in race mode. the manual says that the top button will blink letting you know that the spoiler is being dropped and will stay solid red when is all the way down. well I drove the car this weekend in comfort and sport mode and did speeds of 75-80 mph and the button never flashed. then when I got back home the manual says I can manually extend the spoiler by leaving the car key in position #2 and pressing and holding the same button for 1 second. guess what? I did it and did not work.
So today I called my SA and they told me, first, to take the car back today and second, that today the main south east amg rep was at the dealership and he was going to go over the car with me. So I went today and indeed, the Rep told me that he was surprised that I actually took delivery of the car as this issue about the underbody spoiler is well known and they were waiting for all this part to drive at the VPC and install them there prior the release of the car. So I got really pissed off at this ****... so now the active aerodynamics is purpossly disabled in my GTR until this part comes. I spoke with the mag certified mechanic who did the PDI on my car and he said he already had a ticket with the part order and this is supposed to come in few days. I told the AMG rep that I knew more people that belong in the forum had taken delivery of some GTRs in LA and north east and I asked them if their cars too had the active aero disabled?. He told me that most likely those are the first cars that got the part installed at the VPC because he knew of an internal email that only the GTRs that had this part installed at the vlc were only to be released. So I have no ****ing clue why they released my car without this part. So maybe your car has not been released because of this part or maybe not.... at this point, I don't believe **** of what these people are saying.
Seems weird that the car is built without this part at the factory. It's not like it's a regional option. It's an integral part of the car. Why would MB leave it to the VPC to install?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Is it a part (maybe they have to install a module or relay to get the system functional) or just software coding?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTR, G63, Mclaren 675 LT S, 991 GT3 RS, 991 GT3, many more

My car was delivered to the VPC (Baltimore) and released the next morning and had it the same day. Mine works.

Where was this posted?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
UPDATE AS OF FRIDAY 10/13 3:00pm

WITH APOLOGIES TO CARAC AND FASTMD, for not being more clear in my previous post. This is a safety issue.

The following should be helpful.

As of this morning, MB AMG has now put a STOP SALE notice on all GTR’s because of this issue.

All GTR’s not delivered will need to be fixed before delivery and any sold and delivered cars will receive a notice to return to the dealer for repair when they decide exactly how and what repair parts will be required. They expect to know on or around 10/20.

IN MY CASE, my car is now stuck at the dealer until this issue is resolved. I haven’t driven it yet

It’s Friday and time for a beer or maybe 6.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63

WITH APOLOGIES TO CARAC AND FASTMD, for not being more clear in my previous post. This is a safety issue.

As of this morning, MB AMG has now put a STOP SALE notice on all GTR’s because of this issue.

All GTR’s not delivered will need to be fixed before delivery and any sold and delivered cars will receive a notice to return to the dealer for repair when they decide exactly how and what repair parts will be required. They expect to know on or around 10/20.

IN MY CASE, my car is now stuck at the dealer until this issue is resolved. I haven’t driven it yet

How about you come over and help drain my kegerator?

My Tri-Tap Kegerator
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 PM

What is the safety issue? Can you post the actual service bulletin? My dealer is checking if this is real.

Is this like when they told you some FIFO bs and my car wouldn't be here til mid-Nov?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GTR Pro, 2019 GT63S, 2016 XC90 Polestar Tune, 1967 911s
Active Aero Bulletin

Here is the body of the service bulletin:

In certain MY18 AMG GT-R vehicles with active aerodynamics, water may have entered the front active aerodynamic spoiler area. As a result, the front spoiler may be impaired and in certain cases, could also result in a malfunction of the front active aerodynamic spoiler.

VINs in your inventory have been identified and are listed above. For customer satisfaction purposes, we are notifying you about 56 vehicles that may not be retailed until an inspection has been performed.

This message will be updated as more information becomes available.

In an effort to prevent potentially affected vehicles from entering the market, please have your dealers perform the inspection procedure described below:

1. Connect/disconnect diagnostic system (XENTRY/DAS)

2. Remove transport mode if applicable

3. Start vehicle and actuate “Active Aero” via switch in overhead control panel. Note LED light pattern and eventual messages in instrument cluster

4. Have a second technician observe the actual function at the front of the vehicle to verify that the Aero lip is properly extending or retracting, repeat actuation at least 3 times.
5. Vehicle is OK if “Active Aero” system is functioning.

6. If the “Active Aero” system does not extend upon button activation, please create a PTSS case and attached the vehicle quick test information with freeze frame data. Do not retail the vehicle and await for further repair information from MBUSA via PTSS.

7. Please claim the inspection according to the details below

Last edited by just1zero; 10-13-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by fastmd
What is the safety issue? Can you post the actual service bulletin? My dealer is checking if this is real.

Is this like when they told you some FIFO bs and my car wouldn't be here til mid-Nov?
See my previous post. If your spoiler lowers your car is probably fine. I took mine to the dealer today and they did the test in the service drive, it took 30 minutes and I was on my way. My spoiler functions properly.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Interesting as this was an issue on the Auto sport GTR at Nürburgring. It stopped working 1/2 way thru ring as I remember.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by just1zero
See my previous post. If your spoiler lowers your car is probably fine. I took mine to the dealer today and they did the test in the service drive, it took 30 minutes and I was on my way. My spoiler functions properly.

The hidden issue SINCE I HAVE SEEN THE FAILING PARTS FIRST HAND (FASTMD) is there is a rubber grommet that surrounds the wiring harness to the motor that will allow water, snow, dirt etc to enter the motor area and cause the motor to fail sooner or later. Beside replacing the motor with one that won’t corrode and fail, they need to figure out how to prevent water and moisture from entering the motor area in the first place.

Last edited by JSwan724; 10-13-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Ffs, couldn't they have inspected and fixed this when the cars were parked all these months?

The release of this car has been clumsy to the point of embarrassing from the start.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63

I posted this information as a courtesy to the members here. YOU can elect to ignore my posting if you choose BUT don’t ever imply I am misrepresenting the facts at hand.

I know you have $$$$$ coming out your A$$ and are willing to spend $2.5 million with MB to get a car right away. BUT there are some of us that don’t choose to do that. I was/am willing to wait for a good MB product as the launch issues are worked out BUT that doesn’t mean you are any better than the rest of us.

So, going forward if you don’t like the information I am providing for the rest of the members to evaluate and make their own decisions I suggest you just ignore it and move on BUT NEVER, NEVER question my integrity or motives.

Last edited by JSwan724; 10-13-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
It’s fine for now But it’s not fine!! Please refer to my subsequent posts. The motor casing easily corrodes and the gromment allows foreign matter- -water, sand, snow to enter the motor area and cause it to corrode and fail if not soon...over time.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:59 PM

The hidden issue SINCE I HAVE SEEN THE FAILING PARTS FIRST HAND (FASTMD) is there is a rubber grommet that surrounds the wiring harness to the motor that will allow water, snow, dirt etc to enter the motor area and cause the motor to fail sooner or later. Beside replacing the motor with one that won’t corrode and fail, they need to figure out how to prevent water and moisture from entering the motor area in the first place.
My SA explained the same thing to me, I'm expecting there will be a recall at some point with a permanent fix.

Last edited by just1zero; 10-13-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
My SA explained the same thing to me, I'm expecting there will be a recall at some point with a permanent fix.
Development of the recall is under way now. They will let us know what the parts will be and when they will be shipped to the dealers. (We are betting a new motor and grommet that prevents water entry).

My understanding is that this is at least a national issue and NOT just related to a small group of GTR’s.

The motor housing and circuitry isn’t made with non corrosive parts and the wiring harness entry point isn’t waterproof/watertight. Sooner or later it will fail.

Best regards

Last edited by JSwan724; 10-13-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The AMG rep we had at the shop on Thursday, showing us the new GTC, told me another issue with this is that when the active aero quits, it limits the top speed to 120mph also. Which I'm sure many customers won't be happy about.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The AMG rep we had at the shop on Thursday, showing us the new GTC, told me another issue with this is that when the active aero quits, it limits the top speed to 120mph also. Which I'm sure many customers won't be happy about.
That’s my understanding too. That’s one of the safety issues. In other words how do you test that the software will/does step in and keep you or the technician safe if a failure occurs?

Best regards
Old 10-13-2017, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
That’s my understanding too. That’s one of the safety issues. In other words how do you test that the software will/does step in and keep you or the technician safe if a failure occurs?

Best regards
The issue is not that it won't limit the speed, but that it will fail easily/often due to the poor sealing design. They need to change it so there's some sort of reliability of the chin spoiler.

The way these systems work, once it sets a fault, it will limit the speed, that's not gonna be a safety issue, but if it's happening a month after delivery, it's gonna make for many unhappy customers.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
This is crazy. But I guess it's nice to know MB is trying to fix it. Would have been nice if they found out and fixed the issue while all the cars were sitting at port for 5 months or whatever. Hopefully any new cars made going forward will be addressed.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche GT3, Porsche GT4, Porche Spyder, Porsche 911 Targa 4S
Here is the body of the service bulletin:

In certain MY18 AMG GT-R vehicles with active aerodynamics, water may have entered the front active aerodynamic spoiler area. As a result, the front spoiler may be impaired and in certain cases, could also result in a malfunction of the front active aerodynamic spoiler.

VINs in your inventory have been identified and are listed above. For customer satisfaction purposes, we are notifying you about 56 vehicles that may not be retailed until an inspection has been performed.

This message will be updated as more information becomes available.

In an effort to prevent potentially affected vehicles from entering the market, please have your dealers perform the inspection procedure described below:

1. Connect/disconnect diagnostic system (XENTRY/DAS)

2. Remove transport mode if applicable

3. Start vehicle and actuate “Active Aero” via switch in overhead control panel. Note LED light pattern and eventual messages in instrument cluster

4. Have a second technician observe the actual function at the front of the vehicle to verify that the Aero lip is properly extending or retracting, repeat actuation at least 3 times.
5. Vehicle is OK if “Active Aero” system is functioning.

6. If the “Active Aero” system does not extend upon button activation, please create a PTSS case and attached the vehicle quick test information with freeze frame data. Do not retail the vehicle and await for further repair information from MBUSA via PTSS.

7. Please claim the inspection according to the details below
yes I guess my car was one of those cars. My car arrived yesterday at Portland Mercedes and I was supposed to pick it up today but this morning I got a call indicating car has a retail hold placed by Mercedes. I was told the number of affected car is 78 and may be higher, and that a Retail Hold has been placed on all GTR’s. They said next week, I will know more. I have waited 14 months for the car so few more weeks won’t matter much. I was actually planning to take it to the track on Sunday but oh well, and may not get a chance to do so till next year.
I have endured and survived the last stop sale by Porsche on my 2014 911 GT3, but Porsche was kind enough to pay us roughly $13K for our troubles, perhaps MB would do something similar for us. Mark
Attached Files

Last edited by mqandil; 10-13-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63

Best regards
Sounds like someone is eating crow and that your info is very accurate and informative!
Old 10-14-2017, 07:48 AM

I posted this information as a courtesy to the members here. YOU can elect to ignore my posting if you choose BUT don’t ever imply I am misrepresenting the facts at hand.

I know you have $$$$$ coming out your A$$ and are willing to spend $2.5 million with MB to get a car right away. BUT there are some of us that don’t choose to do that. I was/am willing to wait for a good MB product as the launch issues are worked out BUT that doesn’t mean you are any better than the rest of us.

So, going forward if you don’t like the information I am providing for the rest of the members to evaluate and make their own decisions I suggest you just ignore it and move on BUT NEVER, NEVER question my integrity or motives.
You need to relax. I was questioning your yelling "fire in the theatre" with the safety issue.

Sometimes, you should take a step back and post when you have all the facts.

A member posted the bulletin. It is not a problem in all cars.

I have driven my car in the rain, it has been raining here in the NYC/NJ area and I didn't die or crash, the car didn't explode.

What you posted is useful, but should have been placed in context. I hope it gets resolved and you get your car. But, I am constantly amazed by people's willingness to throw shade on their own car, then complain about resale/depreciation etc.

Right now it doesn't seem to be a major problem for all.

Engines aren't catching on fire and grenading like the Porsche 911 GT3 .1s.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
You need to relax. I was questioning your yelling "fire in the theatre" with the safety issue.

Sometimes, you should take a step back and post when you have all the facts.

A member posted the bulletin. It is not a problem in all cars.

I have driven my car in the rain, it has been raining here in the NYC/NJ area and I didn't die or crash, the car didn't explode.

What you posted is useful, but should have been placed in context. I hope it gets resolved and you get your car. But, I am constantly amazed by people's willingness to throw shade on their own car, then complain about resale/depreciation etc.

Right now it doesn't seem to be a major problem for all.

Engines aren't catching on fire and grenading like the Porsche 911 GT3 .1s.
I think you need to relax and look at the history. Not everyone is as special as you are. He’s been waiting for numerous months while his car sits at the port. Then it comes in with an issue. I can only imagine how someone so special would react under the same circumstances!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Td33
I think you need to relax and look at the history. Not everyone is as special as you are. He’s been waiting for numerous months while his car sits at the port. Then it comes in with an issue. I can only imagine how someone so special would react under the same circumstances!
Ok buddy..... what horse do you have in this race again?

It sucks cars are delayed, but don't act like you just got dropped to the bottom of the transplant list.

Proper way to handle this is to speak with the management at the dealer and express that the maintenance package is not enough. But do it privately and come to a point where you are happy. How about a S65 loaner till your car is delivered in addition to the maintenance etc.

Also, talk about walking away. I am sure they will have some trepidation since the eoy is coming.

These are first world problems, I have probably had more exotic cars delayed/with problems than you have owned normal cars. It doesn't bother me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTR AND GTC PROBLEMS AND ISSUES-OWNER POSTS ONLY PLEASE