Sponsored by:

Top Gear Speed Week, GT3.2 vs AMG GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Top Gear Speed Week, GT3.2 vs AMG GTR

Good read, seems like these two are both sick track cars. I'll keep my comments to myself..lol.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...t3-vs-amg-gt-r
Old 10-23-2017, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
I’m ready for the flood of reviews at local tracks.

But it seems to me the “fun” factor under 8000 rpm could be the delineator.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Wink

Thanks for sharing and not sure why you are holding your comments. It's a forum after all and most of us are car enthusiasts regardless of brand.
Here are my thoughts:
-Great write up and usage of the English language. It was entertaining which is one of the main point of such an article.
-Since he took the cars to the track, there should be times shared (wet and dry). This is the second article that did this and I will venture to say that it was not shared because the Benz turned a better lap and it was easier to just give the win to the Porsche rather than take a beating from the fans that their beloved GT3 was dethroned.

Bottom line is 2 different philosophies and 2 great cars. Pick your favorite that pushes your buttons as you can't go wrong with either.

I would pick the GTR as it would be a daily driver and the torque and fun factor is obviously much higher.

Bring it on
Old 10-24-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTR, G63, Mclaren 675 LT S, 991 GT3 RS, 991 GT3, many more
I will make the comment I made over on RL, the GTR is much more fun than any of the current GT cars on the street and I own them. Will see if the manual .2 GT3 changes this.

Have not had it on the track yet.

But, I am amazed how great this car performs.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by fastmd
I will make the comment I made over on RL, the GTR is much more fun than any of the current GT cars on the street and I own them. Will see if the manual .2 GT3 changes this.

Have not had it on the track yet.

But, I am amazed how great this car performs.
I always like it when an owner chimes in versus a "supposition" racer. The bottom line is no one here is gonna probably realize the difference in minute track times unless he/she is an expert road course driver. And to your point, we probably all agree the torque beast is the more fun street car. I had a 991.1 GT3- what a brilliant car but it was an 8/10ths driver or higher and in Orange County on the street it just wasn't happening.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:53 PM

I agree the GTR will be more fun on the street than the GT3, I too look at the GTR like a muscle car with all that torque, front engine, RWD, turn the TC off and I bet there is zero grip. I look at them both as awesome track weapons with a different approach, the GT3 is like a scalpel and the GTR like a meat cleaver. We all know that the GT3 in the hands of amateur drivers is very capable , lap after lap after lap, I just want to see what the GTR can do in the same hands. And to Vic, yes, the GT3 has to be driven at 8/10ths or above for full enjoyment, that is why everyone considers it a track car built for the street, where as the GTR is more of a AMG GT built for the track. So of course the GTR will be a better daily than a GT3 and with more amenities since the GT3 is just bland inside and track focused.
Either of these two are badass and it comes down to preference. Since the GTR has just recently hit the streets in the U.S., I can't wait to, see/hear about, them at the tracks for REAL world amateur feedback.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 10-24-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by RobbieRob
I agree the GTR will be more fun on the street than the GT3, I too look at the GTR like a muscle car with all that torque, front engine, RWD, turn the TC off and I bet there is zero grip. I look at them both as awesome track weapons with a different approach, the GT3 is like a scalpel and the GTR like a meat cleaver. We all know that the GT3 in the hands of amateur drivers is very capable , lap after lap after lap, I just want to see what the GTR can do in the same hands. And to Vic, yes, the GT3 has to be driven at 8/10ths or above for full enjoyment, that is why everyone considers it a track car built for the street, where as the GTR is more of a AMG GT built for the track. So of course the GTR will be a better daily than a GT3 and with more amenities since the GT3 is just bland inside and track focused.
Either of these two are badass and it comes down to preference. Since the GTR has just recently hit the streets in the U.S., I can't wait to, see/hear about, them at the tracks for REAL world amateur feedback.
So I foresee the GT R as the AMG version of a slightly more refined C7 Z06/7. As an owner that simply loves a car with high torque on the street, for sure the GT R will be more enjoyable for me; (and others above it seems) 80% of the time. But there is no way that the GT R can be called a “meat cleaver” on a road course, or that with the TC set to off it won’t have “any grip”. A Z06 with the correct alignment is a true track weapon, one that will decimate a 991.1 GT3 on track. I believe that the GT R will be an easy car to drive on track much like the Z06. In fact with a far better gearbox; 4-wheel steering; (potentially) a more sophisticated ESP/TC system; the same MPSC2 ZP tyres as the Z06/7, etc, the GT R is in no way going to lack for grip, or handle like a meat clever. Most reviews of the car mention incredibly precise steering with phenomenal front end grip, and nothing about it being difficult to control.

That being said, the 991.2 GT3 is no doubt a jewel of a car; one that anyone would be proud to own including this guy.

I may well be proven wrong, but I’m ready to put my money down on the fact that I’m right about the GT R. Now to find one! lol

Bish
Old 10-24-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
As an owner of a 991 GT3 and 18 GTS, I will heartily agree that the AMG is a more enjoyable daily driver with gobs of low-end torque perfect for stoplight to stoplight driving and an engine that sounds fantastic albeit without the high-pitched scream of the GT3 approaching 9000 rpm. The GT3 is only fun in city driving when the RPM is over 5000 meaning one never gets out of 2nd or 3rd gear without committing traffic violations.

The GTR looks like a track beast and the RWS which I loved in my GT3 contributes to balanced turn-in with the GTR.

Both awesome cars, owners are lucky to have a choice.

PS, although I prefer the 991.1 GT3 front fascia vs 991.2 I though this comment was a little harsh, "facelifted front bumper is droopy-lip ugly"
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman
So I foresee the GT R as the AMG version of a slightly more refined C7 Z06/7. As an owner that simply loves a car with high torque on the street, for sure the GT R will be more enjoyable for me; (and others above it seems) 80% of the time. But there is no way that the GT R can be called a “meat cleaver” on a road course, or that with the TC set to off it won’t have “any grip”. A Z06 with the correct alignment is a true track weapon, one that will decimate a 991.1 GT3 on track. I believe that the GT R will be an easy car to drive on track much like the Z06. In fact with a far better gearbox; 4-wheel steering; (potentially) a more sophisticated ESP/TC system; the same MPSC2 ZP tyres as the Z06/7, etc, the GT R is in no way going to lack for grip, or handle like a meat clever. Most reviews of the car mention incredibly precise steering with phenomenal front end grip, and nothing about it being difficult to control.

That being said, the 991.2 GT3 is no doubt a jewel of a car; one that anyone would be proud to own including this guy.

I may well be proven wrong, but I’m ready to put my money down on the fact that I’m right about the GT R. Now to find one! lol

Bish
Well since you own a 13 Zo6 and never a AMG GT/S/R or a GT3, your assumption is irrelevant, just like most on this topic since nobody here has had a GTR on the track yet. I have been to over 20 track days in my GT3 so I can speak for that, but only have driven a AMG GTs a handful of times, not really fair for me to comment too much on the GTR, just assume like you are doing for both. I never said the GTR handled like a meat cleaver, re-read.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Well since you own a 13 Zo6 and never a AMG GT/S/R or a GT3, your assumption is irrelevant, just like most on this topic since nobody here has had a GTR on the track yet. I have been to over 20 track days in my GT3 so I can speak for that, but only have driven a AMG GTs a handful of times, not really fair for me to comment too much on the GTR, just assume like you are doing for both. I never said the GTR handled like a meat cleaver, re-read.
the read is a “meat cleaver approach”. Lol. Semantics Robbie.
The following users liked this post:
Vic55 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
First of all, I own a 2015 Z06 with the FE7 option. (Sorry I just noticed that my 'Garage' had '13 listed. Must have hit the wrong damn keyboard button again! lol).

Secondly I’ve driven a 991.1 GT3 a couple of times including around town and on track, as well as driving a GT S on the street, and I’ve been road course driving for over 20 years; hence my opinion is as valid as yours. I’ll agree though that my comments about the GT R aren’t based on my personal observation, after all how could it be as the damn things have been held up at the port for months and are only now slowly trickling out to dealers, but rather on the ’averaged’ reviews of magazines that aren’t known for hyperbole.

Regardless, as I stated, both are fantastic cars; probably the best sub-$200K vehicles that I can think of; for my needs anyway. Doesn’t mean they’re going to be the fastest on a road course, (after all either the 2019 Z06/ZR1 will be out soon), but I’m trying to purchase one of them. I was leaning towards getting a 991.2 GT3 initially but couldn’t get an allocation; aren’t going to pay an ADM, and don’t want to wait until late 2018/early 2019 for a new car, hence I’ve transitioned quickly over to the GT R, especially since I’ve read more and more about how it performs in the hands of the press. Hearing the thoughts of very early purchasers such as ‘fastmd’ state they they are enjoying driving the car more than they do their 991.1 GT3 or even perhaps a 991.1 GT3 RS only reinforces my decision on what car to continue to persue.

Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 10-25-2017 at 06:08 PM. Reason: I'm a dumbass?
The following users liked this post:
Vic55 (10-25-2017)