MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   Track Alignment specs (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/689660-track-alignment-specs.html)

Sungkyo 11-21-2017 01:12 AM

Track Alignment specs

Hello fellow Benzers,

Anyone care to share their Alignment specs for an AMG GTS or know where I could find? Looking for Street/Light track use. But curious of factory street specs also. I realize the dealer will have factory specs but if anyone has any experience with light track duty please let me know.

Thanks in advance

RobbieRob 11-21-2017 12:11 PM

I don't have an answer for you and you probably won't get many reply's since most AMG GT/S owners don't track that much, hence the reason there aren't many posts related to, "tracking" on this forum. Hopefully people will track their GTR's. One item I would look into before alignment is a way to keep the engine from heat soaking, the GT's and GTS's have been prone to this and will go into limp mode on the track pretty fast. Good luck in finding your track alignment, and have fun when you track, make sure to post pics.
Edit, maybe someone on here that is going to an AMG driving academy soon can ask the instructors/ drivers for some info to help you with??

Sungkyo 11-21-2017 10:04 PM

Thanks for the reply RobbieRob. Beautiful GT3 in the best color!! - Here's a pic of my GT4 (also Fabspeed headers) that for now is my "go to" track car. Going to Circuit of the Americas in Feb and will be in between track cars till my new ride comes in April/May. Don't want to miss a track day at COTA so planning on bringing the AMG. I think your right that more people in the future will be tracking the GTR since its such a track monster. Thanks and super jealous of your upcoming GT3.2https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7cf44bf6f7.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...18792bb3a8.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...270a4e9cb3.jpg

thebishman 11-22-2017 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by RobbieRob (Post 7317233)
I don't have an answer for you and you probably won't get many reply's since most AMG GT/S owners don't track that much, hence the reason there aren't many posts related to, "tracking" on this forum. Hopefully people will track their GTR's. One item I would look into before alignment is a way to keep the engine from heat soaking, the GT's and GTS's have been prone to this and will go into limp mode on the track pretty fast. Good luck in finding your track alignment, and have fun when you track, make sure to post pics.
Edit, maybe someone on here that is going to an AMG driving academy soon can ask the instructors/ drivers for some info to help you with??

can you expound on the “heat soak” and limp mode issues plaguing GTs and GTS’ that you refer to above?

RobbieRob 11-22-2017 10:45 AM

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...me-racing.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gtr-gts-gtc/643034-reduce-power-2.html

Bish, A couple links. I should have said cooling issues instead of heat soak. There are some heat issues related to the ECU in the engine compartment also, can't remember where I read about heat soak.

Jim Brady 11-22-2017 11:38 AM

track alignment specs

Originally Posted by Sungkyo (Post 7316932)
Hello fellow Benzers,

Anyone care to share their Alignment specs for an AMG GTS or know where I could find? Looking for Street/Light track use. But curious of factory street specs also. I realize the dealer will have factory specs but if anyone has any experience with light track duty please let me know.

Thanks in advance

I have the Dynamic System and I believe it has a more aggressive camber setting than the standard fare. With that said I've added wheel spacers which gives me a little over -2 degs camber. The GTS is very good out of the box unlike some other German cars that really benefit with a track alignment (aka GT4)

As far as GTS owners don't track their cars is a crock. Given the short length of time they've been on the market they show up.. We had four GTS several weeks ago at West Coast Racing which is dominated by Corvettes, Vipers and Mustangs. There were 6 Porsche's (turbo's, GT3 and GT4s). We get a number of Ferrari's 488 and 458's and occasionally a McLaren if there not in the shop.

I've not had cooling issues on the track and that includes running in 90 deg temps. Recently I did upgraded to the Dime system as a step before I start down the slippery slope.
Jimmy

RobbieRob 11-22-2017 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7318096)
As far as GTS owners don't track their cars is a crock. Given the short length of time they've been on the market they show up..
Jimmy

Yes, big topic about everyone tracking their GT/S's on any forum, so much info for everyone to read and discuss. ?? NOT. Glad that you track your car, I'm sure she is a beast on the track and a lot of fun, but in reality( I'm talking big picture not just your tracks), there are not many that track these cars. I really hope some GTR owners track theirs since it is built for it, but most likely we will just see them at Cars and Coffee's.. lol

Jim Brady 11-22-2017 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieRob (Post 7318197)
Yes, big topic about everyone tracking their GT/S's on any forum, so much info for everyone to read and discuss. ?? NOT. Glad that you track your car, I'm sure she is a beast on the track and a lot of fun, but in reality( I'm talking big picture not just your tracks), there are not many that track these cars. I really hope some GTR owners track theirs since it is built for it, but most likely we will just see them at Cars and Coffee's.. lol

Thanks for the back handed complement. I knew you'd bite! Give it some time and the depreciation will open the availablility to the track rats and millenials and we'll have more posts than a Nismo GTR tread.

descartesfool 11-22-2017 10:11 PM

My GT-S does not overheat at all on track, not coolant, not oil, not any system. OK, brakes get hot, so I run Hawk DTC60 pads on it. I have tracked it many times and it is really fun and fast on track. I have never had an error message, limp mode or any other issue on track. Full power, full fun all day long in open lapping sessions, typically 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off, for about 3-1/2 hours of track time per day, Need to buy lots of fuel for it, and tires.

I got mine with the track alignment that goes with the Dynamic pack, which is about 2 degrees of camber up front, and not much else different than the standard GT-S alignment.

GT-S camber and caster are adjusted using preset shims from Mercedes, and cannot be adjusted like conventional cars by just turning eccentric bolts for the A-arms. You need to buy a set of shims for both front and rear A-arms, fit the shims, tighten bolts, and check alignment, If not OK, loosen bolts, take out shims, put in different ones, tighten bolts and check again. Very stable once set, but much more time consuming for the alignment shop.

thebishman 11-24-2017 01:41 PM

Does anyone have access to actual track oriented alignments specs for the GT R?

RobbieRob 12-14-2017 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7318473)
Thanks for the back handed complement. I knew you'd bite! Give it some time and the depreciation will open the availablility to the track rats and millenials and we'll have more posts than a Nismo GTR tread.

3 1/2 weeks later and still no new posts about tracking or track alignment in the GT forum. And your response to help someone out with track alignment is to get wheel spacers like you did, really? wheel spacers on a 180k car that you track with,, awesome.

Brian Clarke 12-14-2017 07:37 PM

Tracking?
- Summit Point.

I just asked for the track alignment during PDI before purchase. Seemed easy enough, they also put in Motul 660 for me during PDI.

AMG 17GT 12-14-2017 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Clarke (Post 7335628)
Tracking? 1:25 Watch later - Summit Point.

I just asked for the track alignment during PDI before purchase. Seemed easy enough, they also put in Motul 660 for me during PDI.

More of that .....

thebishman 12-15-2017 05:14 PM

Brian did you get a print out of the alignment settings after you had the track alignment done? If so can you post them for us?

TIA,

Bish

Brian Clarke 12-15-2017 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 7336305)

Brian did you get a print out of the alignment settings after you had the track alignment done? If so can you post them for us?

TIA,

Bish

I didn't actually. I didn't ask for one either. I'll check and see if they can get me one!

FourT6and2 12-15-2017 08:11 PM

Any downside to the new brake fluid? Even if I don't plan on tracking the car much, would it be a good idea to have 'em do it?

descartesfool 12-15-2017 08:39 PM

I would be amazed if your dealer actually did an alignment of your car except for toe adjustments possibly. Changing the shims to alter camber or caster front or rear is a complete mystery to virtually all Mercedes dealers, and almost none have ever done it. I had a long discussion with my Service shop foreman at my dealer when I asked for him to do it on mine, and he said he had never done it on any car that requires the required shim change, which includes the SLS and any AMG GT variant.

ItalianJoe1 12-15-2017 11:04 PM

^^^ agreed.

I've done the shim style alignments on cars before I came to MB, It's quite tedious but not bad if you can do basic math.
I'd be happy to help any south FL guys with getting the alignment set the way they want, properly, at a dealership. I will check the alignment computer and see if the specs show different for the GT models and track packages. I know on the Nissan GT-R there are two sets of adjustment values for street or track, but the differences are actually very minor.

RobbieRob 12-16-2017 09:54 AM

Awesome video Brian, looks like you can really hold a high corner speed with your car, she's definitely moving and looks planted. Nice driving.

AMG 17GT 12-16-2017 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieRob (Post 7336648)
Awesome video Brian, looks like you can really hold a high corner speed with your car, she's definitely moving and looks planted. Nice driving.

thats really the difference. In high sweepers it just digs in. Also turn in and exit is vastly improved.

Brian Clarke 12-16-2017 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7336741)

thats really the difference. In high sweepers it just digs in. Also turn in and exit is vastly improved.

Turn in is GODLIKE! She plants and scoots!

MStach 12-17-2017 03:09 PM

I would go with basic setting for most track/race cars .
Front:
-3.5 camber
1.5 mm toe out per side
Rear:
-2.5 camber
0.5 toe IN per side
After this I will play with it, base on tire wear, temperatures and car feel.

Shims are not big deal once they set they don't change as eccentrics.
Porsche cup gt3 cars use them.

MStach 12-17-2017 03:12 PM

This is also tire dependent, some like Bridgestone RE71R like even more camber up to -4.5 front and -3.5 rear.

I wouldn't go to dealer, rather find race car shop to set elighment and work on progress

300blackout 12-18-2017 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by MStach (Post 7337444)
I would go with basic setting for most track/race cars .
Front:
-3.5 camber
1.5 mm toe out per side
Rear:
-2.5 camber
0.5 toe IN per side
After this I will play with it, base on tire wear, temperatures and car feel.

Shims are not big deal once they set they don't change as eccentrics.
Porsche cup gt3 cars use them.

With the toe out in the front, is that setup more for auto cross?

MStach 12-18-2017 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 300blackout (Post 7338284)
With the toe out in the front, is that setup more for auto cross?

Its for road course, because under load in turns it will become zero toe