Sponsored by:

New Aston Martin Vantage vs AMG GT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
New Aston Martin Vantage vs AMG GT?

This new 2018 Vantage seems to have the same engine from the AMG GT series, E-Diff, and interior electronics. Didn't realize AMG provided engines and designs to other companies besides Pagani.

Just thought y'all would find this interesting...

Old 11-21-2017, 12:02 PM

GT3
Old 11-21-2017, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I had so high hopes for the car and find it disappointing. The overall design is a simple evolution and nothing to scream about. They really needed to hit out the ball park from a design perspective to compete with the GT, new 8 series, Lexus LC and 911 and it's a complete miss IMHO.
The rear diffuser with the pipe finish would not even make it on a Kia. The front lights are a big let down versus the original one and they could have done so much more hi-tec.
The integration of the center stack is ala Mercedes which is a joke and the overall finish appears to not belong to a $125K vehicle or in other words, its MB sister seems as good.
The only thing it has over the Benz is the Bond appeal with its looks and a more comfortable and larger interior. With its sub-par reliability, I am still keeping my deposit on a BS GT.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
How much of the Vantage is actually an AMG GT?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:33 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by emericr
I had so high hopes for the car and find it disappointing. The overall design is a simple evolution and nothing to scream about. They really needed to hit out the ball park from a design perspective to compete with the GT, new 8 series, Lexus LC and 911 and it's a complete miss IMHO.
The rear diffuser with the pipe finish would not even make it on a Kia. The front lights are a big let down versus the original one and they could have done so much more hi-tec.
The integration of the center stack is ala Mercedes which is a joke and the overall finish appears to not belong to a $125K vehicle or in other words, its MB sister seems as good.
The only thing it has over the Benz is the Bond appeal with its looks and a more comfortable and larger interior. With its sub-par reliability, I am still keeping my deposit on a BS GT.
I dunno man. How old are you? To me it looks great. I think it's sporty and youthful. I love the AMG GTR. I'm still getting one, but this Vantage looks sexy IMO. I configured one in that neon green/yellow color (like a tennis ball haha) and it's eye-catching for sure. Seems like you can customize every aspect of the car, unlike with AMG. It's definitely underpowered if it's using the same engine though. I wonder if they have other versions planned for the future. If this were 6-8 months ago, I might have considered one. But ultimately, the performance of the AMG GTR can't be denied.

If you go to Aston Martin's website and play around with the configurator for this model, you'll see a bit more detail and whatnot. But maybe it's an age thing since I'm a young dude and this car seems to be less luxury and more sport.

I just thought it was interesting that this car uses the AMG GT engine, rear diff, and electronics/info-tainment system. Especially since it's a British company.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 11-23-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
AM is trying to improve its reliability and use-ability from being bad & expensive.. By using alot of MB parts. It needed to do something.
They are the best looking cars there is. Well built. So its got to be good for whoever is going to buy one as opposed to what you would have gotten before.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
MB bought 5% of AM a while back iirc, and with changing emissions control requirements etc. it makes total sense to use off the shelf MB/AMG engines.

As an ex-pat I’ve always loved Astons and this one is gorgeous, BUT I just can’t seem to think that the front grill area looks ‘un-finished’ somehow.

Bish
Old 11-21-2017, 07:40 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by thebishman
MB bought 5% of AM a while back iirc, and with changing emissions control requirements etc. it makes total sense to use off the shelf MB/AMG engines.

As an ex-pat I’ve always loved Astons and this one is gorgeous, BUT I just can’t seem to think that the front grill area looks ‘un-finished’ somehow.

Bish
Yeah I do agree. The front grill is the one thing that looks out of place. Almost like some fencing material from Home Depot.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Haha the front grill looks like a guppy with mouth wide open.

Reliability and depreciation aside, I like the look of this new Vantage with elements of the DB10 from James Bond's Spectre.

Astons have always been achingly gorgeous to my eye.

I agree on it being somewhat underpowered but so is the LC500 and it's getting rave reviews.

Plus, if you really care wait for the V12 Vantage.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Nicely optioned at let's say $180K, it will compete with 911TT, GTC or GTR, Audi R8 and for a bit more you can get into a MClaren 570. I would take any of these before I jump into the AM and that's coming from someone who had one on order and went to Gaydon to visit the factory.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Don't understand why Aston doesn't use a Dual Clutch transmission instead of the crap automatic slushbox.

Future M cars are using the slushbox, seems a step backwards from a performance automatic transmission but maybe they want more manual uptake.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:50 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by surfah
Don't understand why Aston doesn't use a Dual Clutch transmission instead of the crap automatic slushbox.

Future M cars are using the slushbox, seems a step backwards from a performance automatic transmission but maybe they want more manual uptake.
They are releasing a manual as well
Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
S550
The one thing this car has over its AMG sister car is personalization. I still remember the days when you could get a 300D W123 in virtually any color under the sun. I don't understand why Mercedes got away from that. The current C63, for example, is only available in black, white, grey/silver, and blue. That needs to change.

MB should make the G-Wagen's color palette available on every AMG car. Can you imagine a GT R in Agate Green or Galacticbeam? With a tan, brown, red, white and perhaps old school tartan interior options? That would be special.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:54 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by Uhlenhaut
The one thing this car has over its AMG sister car is personalization. I still remember the days when you could get a 300D W123 in virtually any color under the sun. I don't understand why Mercedes got away from that. The current C63, for example, is only available in black, white, grey/silver, and blue. That needs to change.

MB should make the G-Wagen's color palette available on every AMG car. Can you imagine a GT R in Agate Green or Galacticbeam? With a tan, brown, red, white and perhaps old school tartan interior options? That would be special.
Yeah, the customization is sweet. Play with the configure tool. So many cool colors and options. The GTR... only stitching available is silver or yellow. But you can get any color interior as long as its black...
Old 11-22-2017, 09:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
S550
Lol I was looking at the configurator earlier and went with the tennis ball special, too. Being able to build out a car from factory exactly how you want it is just good business these days; and as millennials and their individualism start moving into this market, it will take on even greater importance.

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Yeah, the customization is sweet. Play with the configure tool. So many cool colors and options. The GTR... only stitching available is silver or yellow. But you can get any color interior as long as its black...
Old 11-23-2017, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Front headlights are just wrong here. Car looks like it’s squinting. Very beta IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Hetzle (03-30-2020)
Old 11-23-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
You saying 'you're buying' at GT-R. Have you? Have you ordered it--you keep going back and forth (which is about what I'd expect from a first time $200k car buyer)? If you order a GT-R I predict you will get enamored with some other shiny object and change your mind 50 more times. Anyone want to bet?

As for Aston, if you know anything about the brand you know you will lose you a$$ on the backend. I mean hard. Not that GT-R will not come with a nice hit as well, but Aston will take it to a new level. Gotta love a parts bin car.

Good luck in your hunt. You should throw 570s in your sites as well (1000% better car than any Aston)--you can get a new one in the $170k range.

Last edited by texex91; 11-23-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:31 AM

GT3
Originally Posted by texex91
You saying 'you're buying' at GT-R. Have you?
It's ordered. Deposit paid. PO# in hand. Build date in February. Won't be "bought and paid for" until I drive it off the lot, though.

you keep going back and forth (which is about what I'd expect from a first time $200k car buyer)
I keep going back and forth? What am I going back and forth on? Because I posted a thread about the new Vantage? Doesn't mean I'm really thinking about buying one. I just thought it's an interesting car and it's using the same engine. Relax. You seem like you're looking for a fight. Kinda weird... If this were 8 months ago, maybe I'd be considering a Vantage along with some other cars. But I ultimately decided on the GTR because it ticks all the boxes for me. Yeah, I think the Vantage is cool. But the GTR is still the one. Thanks for playing.

If you order a GT-R I predict you will get enamored with some other shiny object and change your mind 50 more times. Anyone want to bet?
Yeah, I'll take that bet. What are the stakes? And 50 "more" times? What are the previous 50 times you think I've changed my mind? There's a reason I'm here on the MB Forum and not on the Lambo forum or McLaren forum or Aston forum. And it's not because I enjoy your company so much

But hey, I'm a car guy. I'm enamored by EVERY nice car out there. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 11-23-2017 at 03:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FourT6and2:
JSwan724 (11-24-2017), MalibuScott (11-23-2017)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E Class Sedan
Aston Martins all have AMG engines today. Mercedes also owns a minority share in Aston Martin.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:42 PM

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
Originally Posted by motoent
Aston Martins all have AMG engines today. Mercedes also owns a minority share in Aston Martin.

Not quite all. Only the V8biturbo by AMG.

V12biturbo is still AM and produced in Cologne like all previous AM V12 engines. Also the new V6 is also by AM.
The following users liked this post:
motoent (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 04:45 PM

E Class Sedan
Originally Posted by LAsunset
Not quite all. Only the V8biturbo by AMG.

V12biturbo is still AM and produced in Cologne like all previous AM V12 engines. Also the new V6 is also by AM.
Ah, I didn't know that. So, it's just the V8 then? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:48 AM

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe
I read Aston is going to start making their own engine because AMG is transitioning to 4 cylinder hybrids. Think I read it on motortrend quoting their CEO.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:29 AM

E Class Sedan
Originally Posted by YellowTurbo
I read Aston is going to start making their own engine because AMG is transitioning to 4 cylinder hybrids. Think I read it on motortrend quoting their CEO.
I really hope Aston Martin is not transitioning to 4 cylinder engines ...